Does the GT86 12' have any relation to the Trueno AE86?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Digmac
  • 21 comments
  • 4,237 views
Messages
432
United States
United States
Does the GT86 12' have any relation to the Trueno AE86? I wonder if the 86 in the name means its related to the drift king AE86 Trueno :ouch: i really need an answer!
 
Digmac
Does the GT86 12' have any relation to the Trueno AE86? I wonder if the 86 in the name means its related to the drift king AE86 Trueno :ouch: i really need an answer!

If by related you mean being a marketing tool toyota uses to entice fans to buy one....then yes.
 
It is cheap, small (ish) engine, rwd, goes sideways on the right tyres and sticks to the road like glue on the right tyres. Same design principle. I don't think Toyota would release a car based entirely on an old predecessor's fame through a cartoon.
 
I know that but im just saying if at all does it have any of the good qualitys like the AE86
 
I'd say yes because both cars were targeted at the same market. People that want affordable sports cars
 
In a way, yes. Also takes some relation from the Toyota S800 as well which had a boxer motor.
 
I know that but im just saying if at all does it have any of the good qualitys like the AE86

It is cheap, small (ish) engine, rwd, goes sideways on the right tyres and sticks to the road like glue on the right tyres. Same design principle.

👍
 
I agree with above about the marketing & the layout of the car.

But...

I do like the understatedness of the old one, the new one is a little bit chinzy, lexus style lights etc.

Saw one in London not so long ago, still really cool car even if it was a 1980's skip.
 
I liked the look of the old one, it was so innocent be when it came to racing it would WHOOP YA R32 BABY!!!!
 
I think it was named in 'homage' to the revered AE86 and could be seen as aimed in a similar direction, but don't forget, the car is largely a badge engineered Subaru (are Toyota known for flat 4 engine config?)
 
Does the GT86 12' have any relation to the Trueno AE86? I wonder if the 86 in the name means its related to the drift king AE86 Trueno :ouch: i really need an answer!

the AE86 was the inspiration for the GT86 in response to the popularity of the AE86 after it had long been out of production.
So they're gonna build this.

Which is good, because honda, mitsubishi or mazda aren't making anything to compete with this now AFAIK.
 
I think it was named in 'homage' to the revered AE86 and could be seen as aimed in a similar direction, but don't forget, the car is largely a badge engineered Subaru (are Toyota known for flat 4 engine config?)

Its a Toyota Subaru joint project ("subota" "toyobaru"). Toyota use a subaru engine, and the subaru version has 2 wheel drive (not typical subaru).

Yes this car was inspired by the original AE86, check the auto section here(theres more than just a GT5 section). I believe theres a huge post there that followed the run up to the unveiling.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118524&highlight=toyota
 
Last edited:
the AE86 was the inspiration for the GT86 in response to the popularity of the AE86 after it had long been out of production.
So they're gonna build this.

Which is good, because honda, mitsubishi or mazda aren't making anything to compete with this now AFAIK.

Hyundia is though, and the Genesis Couple is no joke.
 
Well the AE86 is not known in japan only for the cartoon. Makes me cry to hear that.
 
Its a Toyota Subaru joint project ("subota" "toyobaru"). Toyota use a subaru engine, and the subaru version has 2 wheel drive (not typical subaru).

Yes this car was inspired by the original AE86, check the auto section here(theres more than just a GT5 section). I believe theres a huge post there that followed the run up to the unveiling.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118524&highlight=toyota

Or, if you go by the name of the American version, Sciaru.
 
Hyundia is though, and the Genesis Couple is no joke.
Genesis Coupe weighs way too much ... 3300 lbs for the 2.0T, 3400 lbs for the 3.8 ... The BRZ/GT86 weighs 2600 lbs ...

Also, Mazda has the MX-5 hardtop which would compete with this.

I'd much rather have the lighter car in real life. The heaviest car I've ever owned is 2400 lbs, so even the BRZ/GT86 would be heavy to me.

I wish Nissan would get a new S chassis into this segment ... Been dying for a new S chassis for years. I guess I can always have an S15 imported in a couple of years, but RHD is annoying in North America ...
 
I'd much rather have the lighter car in real life. The heaviest car I've ever owned is 2400 lbs, so even the BRZ/GT86 would be heavy to me.

You can thank safety regulations for that.

But would you rather have a slightly heavy safe car, or a light death trap? :dopey:
 
You can thank safety regulations for that.

But would you rather have a slightly heavy safe car, or a light death trap? :dopey:
I don't think either of those cars could be considered a death trap and all of my cars have had 5-star crash test ratings except my first car, which was a death trap (Suzuki Forsa Turbo), but that weighed 1400 lbs.

I'm very attentive when I drive, so I feel safer in a vehicle where I can pro-actively avoid an accident (no accidents in my 12 years of driving) using its light weight to swerve with more control, brake faster, etc. than have passive safety in the form of higher weight and larger size. On top of that, light cars are much more fun to drive within the law, IMO.
 
But would you rather have a slightly heavy safe car, or a light death trap? :dopey:

My own choices have tended towards the latter, but I'm crazy. :)

I don't think either of those cars could be considered a death trap and all of my cars have had 5-star crash test ratings except my first car, which was a death trap (Suzuki Forsa Turbo), but that weighed 1400 lbs.

One thing to bear in mind about "5-star" ratings is that those ratings are only valid for comparing cars within a given weight class. A "5-Star" rated 4,000-pound sedan will be significantly safer than a "5-Star" rated 2,000-pound hatchback. The IIHS says this explicitly when explaining their ratings.

Frontal crash test results can't be used to compare vehicle performance across weight classes.

They even have a video where they test this by crashing small cars into larger cars with the same safety rating. The larger cars win, significantly, even though both the large and small vehicles have the "same" safety rating.
 
My own choices have tended towards the latter, but I'm crazy. :)



One thing to bear in mind about "5-star" ratings is that those ratings are only valid for comparing cars within a given weight class. A "5-Star" rated 4,000-pound sedan will be significantly safer than a "5-Star" rated 2,000-pound hatchback. The IIHS says this explicitly when explaining their ratings.



They even have a video where they test this by crashing small cars into larger cars with the same safety rating. The larger cars win, significantly, even though both the large and small vehicles have the "same" safety rating.
I'm well aware of how the IIHS rates their crash ratings (and I'm an engineering student; I understand basic physics :P). Here's the thing: When am I going to crash into a 4000 lbs car? All the highways I drive on have center barriers (and about 10 feet between traffic, too), all the cities I drive in are bumper-to-bumper traffic and have center barriers, most of the side roads have round-abouts (little-to-no risk of getting T-boned), and all of the rural roads I drive on rarely ever have vehicles at all, let alone large vehicles (not to mention they have lots of room on both sides to avoid a collision).

Honestly, I'm more worried about hitting deer/elk than hitting another car and a heavier car isn't going to help me avoid a collision with wildlife and, barring a large truck/SUV, it isn't going to be any safer in that event, either.

Obviously, different areas and different people will have different needs. I'm just saying in my personal opinion and in my personal situation, I'd rather have a lighter car for a variety of reasons, pro-active safety being one of them.

Anyways, I think this thread has gone way off topic.
 
Back