Does using a clutch pedal make you quicker?

• Thread starter VeeDoubleU
  • 100 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I use a DS4, hence I do not have a clutch pedal, and I do not lift off the throttle when upshifting.

I notice, especially in the BMW E30, that I lose a lot of time relative to others when we upshift. I also have sometimes noticed another driver lifting off the throttle while upshifting (in a replay) and not losing speed when upshifting.

I haven't noticed this much in other cars. I notice it in some road cars, but not at all in Gr cars.

If having a clutch and using it makes you quicker, am I able to simulate that by lifting off the throttle (fully? 50%?) while upshifting so I don't personally lose so much time.

Yes.

See Driving School missions 1 thru 6. Top times are done with clutch use.

I never knew this! Given that it functions like an on/off switch I thought it would have no impact, maybe negative impact if anything.

Time to finally unbox my Driving Force Shifter I think

Yes, it does. I use the clutch in daily races when the cars aren't sequential. It's especially effective because you don't have to heel-and-toe. You can just upshift using the shifter, and then downshift using the pedals.
and can I replicate clutch usage with a DS4, and if so, how?

How much should I lift off, when, etc
I don't think it can be replicated with a DS4 though

Urghh that's so frustrating. I'm losing so much time in the cars I love the most and I can't do anything about it? I don't even mind not having a wheel and pedals as it isn't necessarily a disadvantage to not use a wheel. All movements and pedal usage can be replicated on a controller still. Clutch though? If you are right, then that's so frustrating.

Urghh that's so frustrating. I'm losing so much time in the cars I love the most and I can't do anything about it? I don't even mind not having a wheel and pedals as it isn't necessarily a disadvantage to not use a wheel. All movements and pedal usage can be replicated on a controller still. Clutch though? If you are right, then that's so frustrating.

IF you want to operate at the top of the game you HAVE to have the equipment (and ability) a steering wheel will only get you so far after all if you drive like an idiot then I don't think a wheel; or clutch pedal will make any difference. The DS4 is good but it isn't that good the modulation for brakes and acceleration at the end of the stroke are not as good as pedals (or as fine) similarly the steering is adequate but not as accurate and as such loses time. I can't keep up with wheels but I don't crash off either my wheel needs drivehub to work with ps4

IF you want to operate at the top of the game you HAVE to have the equipment (and ability) a steering wheel will only get you so far after all if you drive like an idiot then I don't think a wheel; or clutch pedal will make any difference. The DS4 is good but it isn't that good the modulation for brakes and acceleration at the end of the stroke are not as good as pedals (or as fine) similarly the steering is adequate but not as accurate and as such loses time. I can't keep up with wheels but I don't crash off either my wheel needs drivehub to work with ps4

Depends what you regard as the top of the game, I personally never felt I was under a major disadvantage due to not having a wheel. I was able to drive competitively at S/S. I'd say that every steering input, and every acceleration and braking input, is possible to make with a DS4. It is just harder to find that sweet spot due to less movement.

Everything I saw a wheel user do, was possible for me, just more difficult. The first time I've thought otherwise is when I see other players storming away on straights due to using a clutch pedal in non-sequentials.

Yes, it does. I use the clutch in daily races when the cars aren't sequential. It's especially effective because you don't have to heel-and-toe. You can just upshift using the shifter, and then downshift using the pedals.

"downshift using the pedals."???? Could you try to explain how that is done?? Don´t get. it trully... :confused:

"downshift using the pedals."???? Could you try to explain how that is done?? Don´t get. it trully... :confused:

I guess he meant paddles. As in only use the shifter and therefore clutch to upshift and to downshift without using the clutch by using the flappy paddles.

I think he meant paddles, as in flappy paddles for gear changing on the steering wheel.
Maybe .. that would make sense... but using the clutch would help when upshifting??? how??? I don´t get it too... unless for up-shifting more then once successively, and avoiding this way the "jumps/convulsions/jolts" that we feel when the shift is changed... and should not be felt if the clutch is kept pressed during those multiple and sucessive upshifitnings (same would be for downshifting.. probably)

Maybe .. that would make sense... but using the clutch would help when upshifting??? how??? I don´t get it too... unless for up-shifting more then once successively, and avoiding this way the "jumps/convulsions/jolts" that we feel when the shift is changed... and should not be felt if the clutch is kept pressed during those multiple and sucessive upshifitnings (same would be for downshifting.. probably)
It's faster because when you upshift using the paddles in a non-sequential transmission car, the game basically does the clutch work for you. However, that automatic clutch sucks. It takes so much time to make an upshift (the revs would drop, then it would upshift, and would make an rpm jolt). Using the clutch manually allows you to upshift while the revs are still dropping, so there's no pause in between the two. There's also no rpm jolt

Now the reason why I don't use the clutch during downshifting is because the game isn't as bad at doing heel-and-toe downshifts for you as opposed to its upshifts. If it's good enough why would I sacrifice the ability to modulate the gas and brake at the same time (It's impossible to do that when you're doing the heel-and-toe yourself)? And another partial reason to that is because I plainly suck at right foot braking and heel-and-toe

It is where you have your foot diagonal over the pedals, with toes on brake pedal, and heel on the throttle, and as you are braking and downshifting, you can slightly go on the throttle using your heel to 'blip' the throttle and keep up the revs (I think) and allow for better downshifting.

Wow I've never heard of this but sounds like a good idea... I honestly have learned a lot from this thread. Thanks @VeeDoubleU

What is heel-toe? :embarrassed:
upload_2018-4-11_16-52-41.gif

Wut? He shifts from 4th to 3rd and the camera tries to capture the deceleration by going backwards and then forward :dunce: he also lifts off the brake to hit the corner

Back