DOOM Eternal

• Thread starter andrea
  • 32 comments
I'm halfway through the presentation and they revealed invasions. Dark Souls in my DOOM? Hell yea! Now give me DOOM in my Dark Souls and I can die happy

I’m not sure how to feel about the more cartoony feel to it. But that’s based just on the footage from youtube.

Been playing Doom 2016 the last couple of weeks and it is still so intensely awesome.

I’m not sure how to feel about the more cartoony feel to it. But that’s based just on the footage from youtube.

Been playing Doom 2016 the last couple of weeks and it is still so intensely awesome.

That's mainly from the HUD I guess? From seeing some shots from the options, it seems quite customizable too, including colors.

Just started playing Doom 2016 a couple of days ago actually. I had almost forgotten how fun an "old-school" shooter like this was, especially when executed like this.
Great graphics, utterly ultra silky-smooth and fast gameplay. Me like.

Looking forward to sawing demons in half and watching the blood gush. :D

Last edited:
JvM
That's mainly from the HUD I guess? From seeing some shots from the options, it seems quite customizable too, including colors.
I think the devs confirmed that in one of their interviews so we're good on that front.

You're damn right it is. I've listened to "At Eternal's Gate" (the menu theme) so many times now, it's ridiculous. The opening really, really reminds me of Metroid Prime. I can go on and on about Doom and Doom: Eternal's OST all day; Mick Gordon is the man. :lol:

My one and only complaint thus far is I do not like the chainsaw nerf.

I've put in three hours into Doom 2 and I have to say, it's not doing it for me like Doom did.

I found it so easy to get into a rythm with Doom jumping about and using the weapon's to weaken enemies. But in Doom 2 the weakpoints really change the tempo of encouters. Playing on Ultra-Violence* and the challenge is there, but yeah.. I'm finding it hard to get into it.
Also I'm really not a fan of the new style, the monsters seem more cartoonish and I think the general look of the previous Doom was better overall. Also the classic sound pack, is terrible haha that grunt noise for the double jump was a terrible choice! :lol:

Last edited:
I’m 3 hours in. I’m liking it, but there is a big difference betwee 2016 and eternal. 2016 was far more “horror”. And Eternal is more arcade. It’s brighter, more colourfull and far more open in terms of the level. So 2016 still has the edge for me, because it is scarier, but I’m not through Eternal though.

I’m sill having a blast!

I don't miss the pistol but I don't like that the melee button is completely useless unless it's a blood punch. No more two punching the fodder for quick glory kills when low on ammo. They replaced that with infinite chainsaw so you'll always have a single pip for fodder, but that's for ammo only. If you want health you HAVE to use ammo. That frustrates me a little but it's not a deal breaker.

So I'm pretty close to the end of the game, playing on Ultra-violence and honestly, this game stopped being fun a good while ago.

This plays nothing like Doom (2016) and might as well be called anything but Doom. The only thing they kept was how the monsters look (which they managed to actually make even worse than in Doom (2016)!. The gameplay loop has you focus on weak points, for everything, this means you are constantly kiting every enemy while trying to farm the weaker ones.
Battles become merry-go-rounds of the AI trying to follow you while you get pot shots off. It isn't fun and it leads to really uninteresting combat.
In Doom (2016) you had to do extensive crowd management as the game threw loads of enemies at you at once, you'd weaken them up then you had the choice between getting ammo via the chainsaw, or heath via the mele kill. All that has gone, now you can ONLY mele the larger enemies and ONLY chainsaw the smaller ones. The core CORE part of modern Doom, that made it so good is gone. Replaced with the messy nonsense.

After not too long it becomes tiresome having to constantly run around, picking up items, picking up health, chipping some health of and running away. This becomes especially egregious when coming up against boss battles, where they each have some sort of 'fun' mechanic in order to kill them. None of these are fun, they're just tiresome. The game really isn't hard either, it's just tiresome. Towards the end of the game the platforming becomes quite a big focus, again, this isn't fun. Grabbing onto poles seems hit and miss and how high you can get on double jumps seems all over the place.

If you enjoyed Doom (2016), like I did, I don't think this is the game for you.
I'm so disappointed that I can't imagine I'll be finishing Doom Eternal. What a waste. I'm really not sure what lead the design team for the game to totally change it up to this extent, it isn't fun.

Last edited:
The only enemies I find that require focused attention on their weak spots is the Mancubus/Cyber Mancubus and the Arachnodrone. Everything else is basically just shoot until dead. Ice Grenades are really good at slowing everything down and letting you get some good shots off on heavies that need it or to just focus on thinning out the herd. I like the new challenge of having to think about what I use. In Doom 2016 it was simply Gauss Cannon and Super Shotgun no matter what you were up against and that got boring. Now certain enemies require certain weapons so it forces you to change it up as you go.

Doom Hunters and those demons that put up electro-shields get the plasma rifle, those snake like guys get the ice grenade so they stop moving, Pinkies are a one hit kill with the blood punch, things like that. It would be cooler if the damage done affected them in a way so that damaging their legs makes them slower and damaging their arms makes their attacks do less damage but that's a little advanced. The visual effect is still really cool though.

Have you figured out how to handle the Marauder? Alternate super shotgun/ballista shots and you can get three shots off because the first staggers him. Do that a handful of times and he's dead. You can also try the rocket launcher with remote detonation to shoot past him and blow them up behind his shield. That's a high skill strategy requiring precision aim in fast moments and I don't have that. Just stay close and when he's about to attack you shoot with the shotgun to stagger, switch to ballista and shoot, then back to shotgun for one more. Rinse and repeat.

Have you figured out how to handle the Marauder?

Yup, its the same way as every other 'hard' enemy in Doom Eternal... get a shot in, run away, farm, get a shot in, run away, farm repeat... it isn't 'challenging' unless the challenge is to enjoy it I guess...

If you're doing it right you don't have to run away. You can just focus on him and get a few of those 3-hit combos off before having to get some resources. It's really not that bad

If you're doing it right you don't have to run away. You can just focus on him and get a few of those 3-hit combos off before having to get some resources. It's really not that bad

I don't know what you expect me to say?
I'm near the end of the game, playing on Ultra-violence I've put in about 10-15 hours (my Steam time is at 20 because I've been afk for some of it) and not finding it that hard, just tiresome... the 'dance' your talking about dosn't work because one or two hits and your health is most of the way gone. I played Doom (2016) extensivley and found that combat loop FAR more enjoyable.

Has anyone encountered a problem with Doom Eternal using the original Sony PS4 model from launch?

At the moment I have a problem, I am playing the game perfectly fine and encounter a scenario where the game causes the "double beep" noise from the console and then the disc ejects from the machine and the game shuts down unexpectedly as if the PS4 has had a blue screen of death but I am
returned back to the PS4 home screen and can reinsert the disc and start again.

This has happens four times so far since purchase, my initial thought was an overheat so I cleaned the PS4 external and internal but the same has happened again? Anyone any experience, I am tempted to record a video of the problem but how would I submit it to Bethesda/ID Software?

Latest Posts

Back