Downforce

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 19 comments
Downforce is mostly for keeping the car glued to the road in a straight line, I think. Doesn't have much to do with cornering.

I could be 100% wrong.

Downforce is mostly for keeping the car glued to the road in a straight line, I think. Doesn't have much to do with cornering.

I could be 100% wrong.
The downforce is effectively the aerodynamics on the car. The air will hit the wings, splitters, or any other aero parts on the car, and this will push it towards the ground, opposite to an aeroplane (that's why when a car in a slipstream hits a bump the car can fly through the air, funny but scary lol) anyway the downforce will push the car and the tyres into the ground and make it more stable/grippier for cornering and will quicker. But on the straight the downforce will actually slow the car down, due to the increased air resistance, (hence the DRS system on the F1 cars)

So for example,, at a track like Monaco will be a 'high downforce' due to the increased traction and braking ability and a track like Monza will be low (so you can get the top end speed). But on tracks like catalunya, you need to find the right balance. Red Bull used to run a higher downforce setting to everyone while Williams ran a lower set up. I hope this helps mate :lol: if not send me a PM and I can explain it in more detail. But running more downforce will wear tyres more quickly.

so to answer your question @super_gt the car shouldn't really understeer (unless of course your not braking for the corner) but maybe it's on the exit of the corner, and then it's going to be something wrong with your set up.

I could be 100% wrong.
Whilst poorly calculated aero will not help straight-line stability, it is all about cornering.
Mr.Yamauchi why cars with big downforce understeer at high speed in Gran Turismo?
Aero balance? Natural car characteristics? Pretty poor question in my opinion.

or downforce makes cars in GT unrealistically stable at high speed
:lol:

Are you making stuff up as you go along to try and find fault in the game?

Yes, aerodynamics affect every aspect of how a car runs. Yes, they can still understeer if you brake wrong or have a poor setup. Yes, this CAN affect ALL cars.

No, there is no magic bullet. No, it doesn't affect ALL cars ALL the time. Some are designed better, some are driven better. ;)

Reactions: hsv
Having recently started playing Assetto Corsa, it became immediately obvious how much better the aero modelling is in AC vs. GT. Top speeds are far more realistic and you can really feel the difference in grip levels in the Lotus 98T low speed vs. high speed. Its something that could use some attention but with 1200+ cars to work on, I don't expect much to change.

I'd like to see GT have cars that lift off the ground at speed. So many cars have 0/0 downforce which doesn't strike me as realistic, and I've never heard of a car that had absolutely no lift or downforce.

THIS. In fact, almost all street cars (not including high-end sports cars/supercars) have lift at high speed, and this plays a HUGE role in the handling differences between low speed and higher speeds.

I was stunned to find out that my sw20 produced lift at high speed, what with that sleek shape and all. But man, she really does get unstable and very floaty above 80mph or so. In order to make my car reduce/eliminate that lift and actually cross over into downforce I will have to make a custom flat-bottom with a fairly intricate front diffuser that vents out of the fenders, cutting holes in my front fenders to aid the process:scared:, a rear diffuser that is to be only touching clean, high-pressure air from the flat-bottom, and also construct radiator ducting that vents out of the hood instead of underneath the car as it does now.

This is a rather large undertaking which has required extensive research. Aerodynamics is no joke. It would be great if Gran Turismo could help all of us learn about real-world aero instead of perpetuate misconceptions as it does currently.

Last edited:
when the rear wing of the bugatti veyron go up the car can not take curves that happen of 200 km/h at nordschleife there are corners with more speed than that..

Back