downshift to drift??

is down shifting applicable in drifting?? i mean for example you approach a corner in a high speed and you just downshift your gearrs without pressing the brakes..:confused:

there's no nead to downshift unless you lower your speed. and to do that..you have to brake. and yes you HAVE to downshift to drift in order to stay in the powerband. it only makes sense. :odd:

Absolutely do not downshift before you have slowed down enough. In other words, if you downshift and the engine just starts slamming into the rev limiter, that means you downshifted too early. The result is that the engine slows the wheels down faster than the car and it's basically like pulling the e-brake, or worse if you're in an AWD. Ever try turning when you do that? It's pretty much uncontrollable. If you did that in real life, you would bend a bunch of valves or worse which is several thousands of dollars in damage. That's if you could get it into gear in the first place... but GT3 doesn't have gear miss =)

i downshift everytime i reach a corner, but i dun let it hit the rev limiter cos i'll loose too much power. i upshift comming out of a drift but never just downshift without braking.

don't believe that downshifting without slowing down before the turn will make you take the drift good even though it works in INITIAL D:rolleyes:

What's shift lock?

If you want to stay in a gear to get some torque out of the engine, just press L2 or R2. Depending on the drift, I want to do that because if the engine spins too much in other gears, then I can spin out.

People never do this in real life and Takumi doesn't do it in Initial D. What you're thinking of, I think, is when people downshift as they brake (without exceeding the redline). I do this in real life and in GT3 and it works better. Being in the right gear for the drift helps a lot, in fact it helps in any situation, not just drifting.

ehh ok takumi doesnt shift lock he uses a double footed technique when he down shifts the clutch is so grippy it makes the cars weight go foward,,and he also breaks.. which when u turn if u notice his car rear end goes up pretty high because all the weight has been transfered to the front

^^^
are u serious?

Have you ever panic braked in real life? It takes a lot of experience and practice to pump ur brakes when ur about to slam into a truck at 50mph or about to fall off a cliff and the only thing in ur mind is to make the ****ING CAR STOP!!!

I don't know about most people but I don't condone going around forums telling people that abs is for weenies especially when some noob 16yr old driver listens to what u say and goes out and rear ends a minvan filled with little kids going to play soccer. I have panic braked in both ABS and non-ABS cars and let me tell u, a good ABS system is definately something most drivers should have in their cars.

no ABS = lots of tire smoke, lots of people staring at u 'cause u just endangered the lives of everyone around u
ABS = no tire smoke and happy American driver Joe not dead and able to go on driving while eating his Big Mac, drinking his Double Gulp Diet Coke and calling his buds on his $500 cell phone.

Oh yea... about the shift lock deal...

You can't do it in GT3 for the same reason why u can't do it in an Automatic car. You don't have a clutch. Its kinda hard to explain if you don't know how to drive manual and don't understand how manuals work... But nway, let me try.

When u do a shift lock drift, you press on the clutch and u downshift. While ur downshifting u DON'T press on the gas and what happens when u pop the clutch back in is that the revs are much lower now than the revs should be at in that gear at that speed (i.e. if ur in third doing 70mph at 4000rpm and u shift down to second, ur wheels will still be going at 70mph and ur revs should be around 6000rpms but they're not cause u didn't heel-toe, instead they're still at 4000rpms.) So what happens is ur drivetrain forces ur wheels to slow down (same way the e-brake would but not as extreme) and then u can get into ur drift.

Ah so technical and I'm sorry I'm not more understandable but a lot of car stuff is hard to explain. Even when ur sitting next to someone whos telling u what he's doing, its still really hard to understand it until u try it out yourself and just mess around.

Originally posted by JrunkenC
^^^
are u serious?

Have you ever panic braked in real life? It takes a lot of experience and practice to pump ur brakes when ur about to slam into a truck at 50mph or about to fall off a cliff and the only thing in ur mind is to make the ****ING CAR STOP!!!

I don't know about most people but I don't condone going around forums telling people that abs is for weenies especially when some noob 16yr old driver listens to what u say and goes out and rear ends a minvan filled with little kids going to play soccer. I have panic braked in both ABS and non-ABS cars and let me tell u, a good ABS system is definately something most drivers should have in their cars.

no ABS = lots of tire smoke, lots of people staring at u 'cause u just endangered the lives of everyone around u
ABS = no tire smoke and happy American driver Joe not dead and able to go on driving while eating his Big Mac, drinking his Double Gulp Diet Coke and calling his buds on his $500 cell phone.

I locked up all fours on a freeway junction in the rain once, but only for a fraction of a second. It was hardly an accident either, I was at full braking power and the guy in front of me was still slowing down faster so I decided to see if I could brake any harder. The car hardly even got sideways, and immediately regained traction when I let off slightly. No, I didn't end up hitting anyone/thing.

Braking hard doesn't involve pumping your brakes. You can feel when the wheels are going to lock up, and brake just hard enough not to cause them to lock up. This will actually give you BETTER braking power than ABS will. All you have to do is not be a careless stupid driver like most people are. ABS is for people who don't know how to drive or panic when the **** gets thick, in which case you shouldn't be driving anyway.

As far as endangering lives, don't you think the guy driving while eating his Big Mac, drinking his Double Gulp Diet Coke, and calling his buds on his $500 cell phone is endangering lives? Driving without ABS is like riding a bicycle without training wheels. It's not dangerous unless you are.

If done right no ABS is faster stopping but just wait until one day, when that semi in the next lane swerves over and is going head on to you. Then what, huh huh?

Originally posted by JrunkenC
Oh yea... about the shift lock deal...

You can't do it in GT3 for the same reason why u can't do it in an Automatic car. You don't have a clutch. Its kinda hard to explain if you don't know how to drive manual and don't understand how manuals work... But nway, let me try.

When u do a shift lock drift, you press on the clutch and u downshift. While ur downshifting u DON'T press on the gas and what happens when u pop the clutch back in is that the revs are much lower now than the revs should be at in that gear at that speed (i.e. if ur in third doing 70mph at 4000rpm and u shift down to second, ur wheels will still be going at 70mph and ur revs should be around 6000rpms but they're not cause u didn't heel-toe, instead they're still at 4000rpms.) So what happens is ur drivetrain forces ur wheels to slow down (same way the e-brake would but not as extreme) and then u can get into ur drift.

Ah so technical and I'm sorry I'm not more understandable but a lot of car stuff is hard to explain. Even when ur sitting next to someone whos telling u what he's doing, its still really hard to understand it until u try it out yourself and just mess around.

u can def. shift lock in gt3, go as fast as u can in first gear and then let go of the gas, the car will die down pretty quick, then go ass fast as u can in first gear again and tap the e-brake, u will just keep going, takeing along time to slow down, the clutch will be disengaged as if u where using an auto when you let off the gas.This is proof that is is possible. Friction between the engine and trannsmission as if the clutch was locked have been incorperated in to the game when using a manual tranny. Go and try it and u'll see for ur self.

good point exhaust_note! I tried it and I realized that when u e-brake, GT3 knows to disengage the clutch. So I guess in a way there IS a virtual clutch. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Unfortunately its still not a shift lock drift. A shift lock drift should require no touching of the e-brake to start the drift. Lots of drifters dislike using the e-brake to start a drift 'cause its so extreme and not easily controllable. That's why they developed other ways to drift like the shift lock drift and the clutch kick.

Oh and about the ABS, I'm pretty serious about driving (in real life) and I am always 100% concentrated on driving when I'm behind the wheel and I'm sure all of u are but the average American could care less if their car was FWD or RWD, turbocharged or naturally aspirated. As long as they can get from place to place in a car with at least 25 cup holders and can look "cool" in front of the ladies they're happy. That's why I think ABS is a good idea to have as well as Traction Control, Stability Control, and various other computer gizmos so that I don't die 'cause some joeshmoe next to me thinks he's Vin Diesel and then proceeds to lose control of his car and crashes into me.

ok im hear to talk about the down shift thing on initial D. some cars like integra , trueno , cappacino, and the civic ( EK9 )
on the integra u dont need to down shift all the way down to 3rd. just stay in 4th becaise u will just make the corner faster and more effective. then on the trueno you drift on all four wheels and u can control the drfift and just come out of it better then any other car. then on the cappacino the rear will swerve and ull just drift because the rear wil pull u into a drift but be careful you can spin out and hit a wall. then the civic ( EK 9 ) just like the integra but go to 3rd because it handles as good as the integra. AND EVERYONE WILL AGREE WITH ME INTEGRA IS THE CHEAPEST CAR IN THE GAME. that car makes every thing too easy and there common. the game is dying because of this.:banghead:

Back