downshift to drift??

Originally posted by JrunkenC
Oh and about the ABS, I'm pretty serious about driving (in real life) and I am always 100% concentrated on driving when I'm behind the wheel and I'm sure all of u are but the average American could care less if their car was FWD or RWD, turbocharged or naturally aspirated. As long as they can get from place to place in a car with at least 25 cup holders and can look "cool" in front of the ladies they're happy. That's why I think ABS is a good idea to have as well as Traction Control, Stability Control, and various other computer gizmos so that I don't die 'cause some joeshmoe next to me thinks he's Vin Diesel and then proceeds to lose control of his car and crashes into me.

I agree 100%. I think ABS is a wonderful invention and a great option to have, just for people such as you described who don't care about driving. I think those people should take the bus or metro or whatever. It would be safer for everyone. There are so many accidents on the road it's rediculous. I hardly go a day without seeing one. Hardly go a month without narrowly avoiding one.

Originally posted by exhaust_note
i don't even go near the e-brake, its not even programed into my controller and it is possible to shift lock.

So then with your method of doing a shift lock, do you think it's possible to do it in a drift? That's the thing here. You can't do it to initiate a drift in GT3 because the PS2 won't allow you. Unless you do that trick and keep on hitting the rev limiter, there's no possible way.

ABS prevents your wheels from locking up when you slam on your brakes. As soon as it senses that the wheels have started to lock up, it will back off the brakes a little temporarily. If you slam on your brakes in a car with ABS the pedal will shake back and forth as the ABS kicks in over and over. (Some of the really nice ABS systems you can't really feel as much but most of them are quite obvious.) It's a very common feature in cars now, in fact you'd be hard pressed to get a car that didn't have ABS.

what Pergatory said....I would've said that, but I was too lazy to type all that. hehe. The first time I drove a car with ABS, it was my dad's old 97 outback and it was so weird the first time I had to slam on the brakes that I ended up letting off because I thought something was wrong haha...luckily I didn't crash. Once you get used to it though, it's definitely better than non-ABS for daily driving. My car doesn't have ABS, but my dads WRX does and it's so good that you can't even feel the ABS. I love it :)

I know what you mean ethix (about both the laziness and how it feels like there's something wrong). ABS is definetely cool. Not for racing though =)

If you're racing, you shouldn't notice the difference between ABS and non-ABS because you shouldn't be locking up in the first place. And by racing, I mean any sort of exhibition of driver skill (drifting, street racing, highway battles, hell even nascar). That was my point about ABS being for pussies. As far as racing goes, people who just slam on the brakes and let the car slow itself down are not in control of the car. They merely influence the way the car behaves, and hopefully it does what they want it to. This is the difference between a true driving enthusiast and a person who is still an amateur or does not care.

JrunkenC
Why the crap would any noob driver come on here for real life advice on driving anyway. If they did and think a video game must be right then natural selection should kill the little bastard, just hopefully not harming someone else.
But ABS is a God send, its called a panic situation for a reason, you don't have time to think, that kind of muscle memory with braking takes YEARS of driving on closed courses to master. ABS still does the job better. If I purchased a high end car I would want an ABS on/off button, always on in the city off when I am f-ing around

JrunkenC
Why the crap would any noob driver come on here for real life advice on driving anyway. If they did and think a video game must be right then natural selection should kill the little bastard, just hopefully not harming someone else.
But ABS is a God send, its called a panic situation for a reason, you don't have time to think, that kind of muscle memory with braking takes YEARS of driving on closed courses to master. ABS still does the job better. If I purchased a high end car I would want an ABS on/off button, always on in the city off when I am f-ing around

my civic got no abs on it and it really helped me a lot when i drove home from the airport with ma parents a dog crossed in front of one car the car slammed brakes but kept on skidding. I stepped on my brakes like regular driving situations then my car started to still slide forward so i let go of my brakes and turned my car away from the car in front of me, kind of like initial d. Had i had abs then my car's steering would be locked and won't be able to turn. I dont know if i am right but it seems that cars with abs, the steering wheel seems to lock up and you can't steer it.

The whole point of ABS is so you can steer while braking, if you can nail the brake pedle (and keep your foot there) and still steer you have ABS or you are having a foot pumping seizure

Originally posted by Tofu_drifter
my civic got no abs on it and it really helped me a lot when i drove home from the airport with ma parents a dog crossed in front of one car the car slammed brakes but kept on skidding. I stepped on my brakes like regular driving situations then my car started to still slide forward so i let go of my brakes and turned my car away from the car in front of me, kind of like initial d. Had i had abs then my car's steering would be locked and won't be able to turn. I dont know if i am right but it seems that cars with abs, the steering wheel seems to lock up and you can't steer it.

yeah, u got that backwords buddy, sry

Back