drift faster than grip

• Thread starter 280Z_surge
  • 478 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am firmly convinced that there is at least one scenario (possibly more than one) in which drifting can result in clearing a corner faster than grip racing. BUT... i don't know in what situations this would be true. Can anybody tell me when/where drift racing will be faster than grip?

there are no circumstances that a skilled drifter can take a turn faster than a skilled grip driver...none..nadda..0

goddam there was another post just like this... then you dont know how to really drift (btw 4wheel drift minimizes smoke and actually should have none... when you do happen to stumble upon it its kinda weird)... you just know exhibition...

its in here
Drifting with Viper Concept ???

i know how to perform slip angles, 4 wheel drift, exhibition drift, you name it. the situation where grip is maximized (not compromised) will be the fastest route. anyone who wants to PROVE me wrong is welcome to attempt.

i doubt you know how to four wheel drift... i cannot even fourwheel drift at my liesure... only hte really really fast and good can... four wheel drift whether you push your car to its grip limits or minimize your drift is hte abosolute fastest way on any particular line... it is the line that determines how fast you are in and out of the corners... go grip on some track... use sector times... speedster 323 hp ( well that is with no oil change) i have my car set up for a top speed of 140... i am in no way the fastest person on gtp...

i suggest that we sue each other tires and see whose dirving yeilds a faster time on the two different choices of tires... i choose T2's feel free to pm with what you decide to choose... sorry but i may no be able to get back to you until monday... since i do not have a shark port or tv car... i will take photos on my digi cam of hte sector times... you may set you car up anyway you like... i think hp upgrades are everything but chip... if you would like to fully upgrade the car tell me and we will do it... oh yeah dont forget virgin oil change... adds like 20 hp...\

btw fourwheel drift employs slip angles becuase this is the state of maximum grip which in the real world means that some slip will occur...

oh yeah and to make it even fairer... you may choose a course to run it on and i will choose a course to run it on... so we will have a total of 4 races

two courses two sets of tires...

you may not change your setting when switching tires... the tires are to even the playing field... you know what i mean right... same amount of grip but we are supposed to be driving in hte fasions that we believe in... ig uess you will be doing grip... and i will to the best of my ability perform 4wheel drift and at times exhibition drift to slow down...

whelp..first lap i got a 1'21.092. the car has 333hp..no chip or oil change. ill do a few more to get a feel for it.

:edit: 5th lap...1'18.611..im using T8 tires btw. and this car is ugly :irked:

wai where r you doing this... lol... i dont care if its ugly or not.... drive from bumber view and you got no problems... so your on apricot or some other track... sorry i changed it so that you could choose... and then i could
i am gonna try with t8s

lets try too different ones... one like ap... that has nice avariety of turns... and then one like seattle or ss11 that has alot of tight turns

remember its more important to know the sector times than the lap time... we wanna know who is clearing what corners the fastest...

and i have my car limited to 140 mph... just cause... that is how i race with it... i dont like gaining on cars in the straights

sector 1 4.169
sector 2 3.392
sector 3 5.733
sector 4 4.232
sector 5 6.515
sector 6 3.651
sector 7 8.457
sector 8 5.045
sector 9 7.620
sector 10 8.086
sector 11 4.096
sector 12 4.744
sector 13 7.392
sector 14 5.472

what are your times?

teh game amn... how many regualr people can properly dirft... you do understand however that in much real life racing its no t really about fastest lap time... but about conserving tires while going fast... rally is really the only racing i can think of that uses the fastest lap...

ok with 140 max mph... 4 tries... dont usually run on t8s...

lap time 1:19.926
--------time-----------avg speed--------entrance speed
1------4.585---------139-----------------138
2------3.543---------126-----------------138
3------5.376---------82-------------------94
4------4.243---------95-------------------93
5------6.873---------97-------------------101
6------3/652---------109-----------------100
7------8.468---------109-----------------118
8------5.094---------132-----------------116
9------8.237---------85------------------139
10----8.046---------102-----------------82
11----4.360---------96------------------121
12----4.658---------92------------------98
13----7.443---------106-----------------90
14----5.519---------134-----------------120

bet then i noticed that his sector one was much faster by like .4 seconds... which means his top speed is higher than mine since my avg was 139 speed for that straight... so i raised the limited speed to 150... with the gear box no more hp mind you i have a 323 speedster...

lap time 1:18.426
--------time-----avg speed-----entrance speed
1------4.250-----150-------------149
2------3.431-----128-------------150
3------5.386-----82--------------102
4------4.028-----96---------------93
5------6.332-----104-------------102
6------3.395-----118-------------111
7------8.744-----103-------------124
8------5.093-----132 ------------115
9------8.054-----89--------------145
10----8.154-----102-------------82
11----4.306-----97---------------125
12----4.597-----91---------------97
13----7.233-----109-------------92
14----5.396-----137-------------121

even on this second run my first sector is not as fast even though for the entire secor i stay at max revs and max speed... so his car still has a slightly faster max speed.... and by comparing my two runs you can see what max speed does to lap times... the corners have the same speed specs... but the sectors with straights do not...

anyways...

i am sure that niether one of us are really really fast...
you wanna run a run on super slicks...i think my fastest is 1:23.5 so super slicks slows you down a lot... but they last forever... by 7 seconds holy crap...

oh yeah here is a key...

1=straight from finish line
2=first turn (slight)
3=second turn (sharp)
4=first part of consecutive corners
5=s turns
6=little straight
7=long u turn
8=long straight
9=hairpin
10=slight uphill with slight curve
11=turn to chicane
12=chicane
13=uphill turn
14= straight to finish

correct me if i am wrong... but you drove grip ( what you believe to be fastest) and i drove attemting to do 4wheel drift... what i believe to be fastest... however there were times when i exceeded traction adn i did exhibition drift... but no very exhibitionly

i pegged it out at 159. im not really used to that car though..never used it before hehe. its a nice handling car though, just don't like the looks. my dad used to own an opel..cept his was a '69 Manta.

Well are you guys just using horsepower increaase and tires or are you using all mods???

i am much more used to the car on super slicks... cuase i have been racing with it everywhere lol... but it feels less predictable on t8s... esp when you hit the rumble strips... the sticky tires wanna spin me...

you know what i just realized lanevo... this proves nothing at all... lol...

here is my set up...
second highest srpings... lowered to 100... shocks to 6... chamber at 1 and .5 sways at 3

hp mods to get up to 323... no chip or internal mods i dont think...

racing fly...racing everything... custom gearbox to 23 with a little mods to raise highest speed to 140mph or 25 for 150mph...

brake mods too i have my brake even both at 24

am i missing anything....

no lightening... i usually ride super slicks but today i was on t8's... infact i just raced on my super slicks and i feel much more comfortable and there is less smoke... which is belive it or not... what i am aiming for when i drift... and race... at hte same time... less smoke less squels is good...

ok that explains it, here is my run with only T8's installed and HP at 323 no internals or chip if I remember. This is bone stock suspension using grip racing.

1 4.303 ave speed 149 top speed 155
2 3.195 ave speed 155 top speed 155
3 6.092 ave speed 76 top speed 93
4 4.086 ave speed 96 top speed 102
5 6.599 ave speed 101 top speed 105
6 3.652 ave speed 109 top speed 115
7 8.745 ave speed 105 top speed 116
8 5.272 ave speed 127 top speed 139
9 8.100 ave speed 85 top speed 141
10 8.340 ave speed 100 top speed 119
11 4.488 ave speed 95 top speed 120
12 5.331 ave speed 78 top speed 96
13 7.891 ave speed 101 top speed 115
14 5.722 ave speed 129 top speed 142

I am pretty sure with a suspension, brakes, lightweight 1 2 and 3 or hust 1, and basically all the non horsepower gaining mods I could have this running down at least 4 seconds from what I am currently at with a 1'21.816.

Maybe I will go ahead and put everything on and run this :D

nice run with stock chassis... man... i guess i will up my top speed and try to get hte fastest times through the corners that i can possiblby do... i guess i kinda hurt my speedster if without any gears it can go 155.. and the fastest i am willing to drive it is 150... but that is just cause i hate breaking and love acceleration...

i think next time i post i will put the time for sectors withturns in them avg speed top speed and entrance speed... cuase that is the real point of htis post... who can get the fastest through a turn...

Well, I actually thought the point of this thread was which racing was faster, Grip versus Drift throughout a whole race track. Anyways first run with the package added on was only a 1'19.414, I haven't done any tuning at this point either, so basically it is the same car with a chamber angle of 2.0 and 1.0 with a gear box in stock form

Well third run a 1'18.869 and still about 1 to 2 seconds to come off that time at least. I'll have the split times here in a second :D

lol... you are correct... i just didnt wanna have to keep typing ever sector out... lol... and since grip and drift ( which does not mean exhibition) only differ in hte sectors where corners exist... straights are for top speed... but i guess important for comparisons... its really hte speed though corners everything else being equal that we need to compare... nevermind tho...

anyways cobra you are driving grip... or 4 wheel d as best as you can...

Well to my conclusion and not by times, just by theory the real place where a Drift has the advantage is around turn number 7. The slow 180 degree turn.

Originally posted by miata13B
Well, I actually thought the point of this thread was which racing was faster, Grip versus Drift throughout a whole race track.

It doesn't matter which alone is faster, the best racer uses both drift and grip together. Drift being the harder of the two, that's why I'm so bored by grip and never do it. Grip is easy to me. But it's still very effective.

look at the new vids done by who ( i forget ) look at his imprezza LM its more than 500+ that show that drift is fas than grip
i can get 1.03.xxx with my cars its drift the hp 900+:D

if we have a speedster at 300 hp imagine what we can do with three times that hp.... which is y the lap time is so diff drifterzzz... and pergatory... grip takes as much skill to go fast in as drift does... and in reality they end up at the same point eventually... but away from this maximum speed... where racers choose to drift or grip slower inorder to set up for a corner... this is where true skill comes in... the true skill is being able to drive in a way that maximizes the time that you can be at your fastest... the true skill is in line taking...

yeah thats true . that a example only ...:D but i think drift is fast than grip because at corners if u grip u loose your speed there but with drift the speed is mantain & sometimes more but base on your skill good skill u will get more faster ...:)

but you have to remember you need to get grip to have a high exit speed... if you do so you will always get faster lap times... dont prolong drifts... it will slow you down...

anyways maita man... if you read hte entire post... my goal is to four wheel drift in this game... i know that that will be the fastest ... and technically it is still classified as grip driving...

anyways... i dont have my ps2 with me right know can make another run...

remember any car can go fast ont he straights... its how fast you go through the corners that really counts... my speedster was limited to 150 mph... and if you look at my times in the corners as well as entry and avg speed... they dont change that much between my 140 and 150 mph cars... except for in high speed corners and straights... the obvious place of drift advantage is in the hairpin... but if you look closely sector three i am consistently faster... while in sector 2 i am a bit slower... the chicane i am fstest so far and i am racing between the lines no dirt for me... i dont remember the other stats... but this is fun....

BTW what ever happens i dont think this will cahnge anyones mind... you can preach physics and preach what will give speed... ie line entry speed and exit speed... which means latest possible breaking lest time in corner and quickest possible gain of acceleration...

i forgot what my point was... i am sure that my time is in no way the fastest i can make it... i have in no way become the fastest i can go... its my goal tho... and this helps... if you guys wanna do any other cars... pm me k... i think this is fun... i know there is a forum... but yeah....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back