Drift Help

United States
Georgia
EmoKidd305
Hey. I've been GT5 for a few months now and I can't get the drifting down. Is there anyone willing to give a few pointers and possibly point out a couple of good cars to start with?

Also start out in something stock such as a RX7, TVR Tamora and slap on a set of comfort hards and just have fun. Turn all aids off (ABS doesn't matter) and use manual. If you start using manual at the start you will save yourself a whole lot of time.

Also start out in something stock such as a RX7, TVR Tamora and slap on a set of comfort hards and just have fun. Turn all aids off (ABS doesn't matter) and use manual. If you start using manual at the start you will save yourself a whole lot of time.

Thanks. Also, I'm using a DS3 controller. Would that be harder than using a wheel?

Thanks. Also, I'm using a DS3 controller. Would that be harder than using a wheel?

At first a wheel is extremely hard, I'm still trying to get it. Just turn the CCS down a tick or eight. Also try doing the entire corner in one gear after using the handbrake to slide yourself out, keep on the gas to keep the traction of the wheels and the road to a minimun

At first a wheel is extremely hard, I'm still trying to get it. Just turn the CCS down a tick or eight. Also try doing the entire corner in one gear after using the handbrake to slide yourself out, keep on the gas to keep the traction of the wheels and the road to a minimun

Thanks for the tip :) I'll try it next time I'm on

Wheel is way harder at first it took me 2-3 weeks to get use to for DS3 it took me a couple of hours less than a day because this guy gave me the best tune. So with the best tune and right car you will be drifting like a pro.

It's tough to get started. If you want feel free to shoot me a FR & I can give you some tips while out on the track. I think it's easier when seeing what exactly your doing.

When I got GT5 on the release date, I got in a stock Maserati. Went to Suz east, with a controller, slapped on comfort hards. In 10 to 15 minutes I was linking that complete course.

On the wheel, it took me around 1,5 month to get around a corner decently. Says enough?

(Although I must admit, I didn't have a lot of time to practice due to pregnancy.)

I bought the mx-5 from the dealership, using the G27 with power steering on, FFB on 5, simulation mode and took me roughly 2 weeks to control the car. Drifting at tsukuba makes a good training ground imo. It took me roughly 2 weeks to get the basic with 3 hours of gameplay everyday.

Mx5 fully kitted out with a soft suspension setup is my current learner drifter. It's making it 100x easier though I am on he wheel

supra is good stock, corvette, tamora, rx7 all good stock cars to practice with. On the DS3, if you but the controller sensitivity down to -2 you get smoother drifts.

Corvette is awfully powerful no?

In my practice I'm finding a car that can just break traction is easier to get a hang of! Though that the wheel and I have no idea what OP is using!

Corvette is awfully powerful no?

In my practice I'm finding a car that can just break traction is easier to get a hang of! Though that the wheel and I have no idea what OP is using!

DS3, post #5 lol.

I agree though, the Vettes got a bit too much power for a noob, could get a bit overwhelming.

Anything 300-400hp (*after* mods), RWD, CH, would work out!

Just drift with a S13 Silvia Premium, only 395hp and amazing begginer drifting car.

A maxed out Silvia isn't really the best way to start. The Silvia is uncontrollable with High RPM turbo for most beginners, a medium turbo would be better.

395HP is pretty much by the way, so its not just ''only 395HP'' :lol:

A maxed out Silvia isn't really the best way to start. The Silvia is uncontrollable with High RPM turbo for most beginners, a medium turbo would be better.

395HP is pretty much by the way, so its not just ''only 395HP'' :lol:

I think your thinking in real life, 395 is a lot in real life but in GT5 not so much. I don't know why you can't control it with a High RPM turbo but I certainly could when I was new and my first car that I drifted was a Supra '97 fully tuned running 700+HP. I guess were all different. I learned drifting with high HP cars using my DS3 but I did start with low HP when I was just using my wheel.

I think a lot of people learn to drift with high HP cars first, but then to get better have to scale down to less HP cars (or just start using Vipers) but I think it's better to start with a very low power car and improve it as they do, at least if you want to learn how to tune drift cars as well.

It's tough to get started. If you want feel free to shoot me a FR & I can give you some tips while out on the track. I think it's easier when seeing what exactly your doing.

I'll take you up on that sometime this weekend

Depends on which Rx7 :)

I'm running the éfini RX7

supra is good stock, corvette, tamora, rx7 all good stock cars to practice with. On the DS3, if you but the controller sensitivity down to -2 you get smoother drifts.

I'd actually gotten pretty good with my rx7 stock. I recently added a bit more power and it threw me off some

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Next time you want to reply more than one post, click in this icon:
multiquote_off.gif
It is besides the "Quote" button. Click on that icon in every post you want to reply.

IMO the S2000 is probably the best drift car for beginners. It's SO light when you buy all the weight reduction and it's easy to tune. Oh and comfort hard is essential for drifting!

I think your thinking in real life, 395 is a lot in real life but in GT5 not so much. I don't know why you can't control it with a High RPM turbo but I certainly could when I was new and my first car that I drifted was a Supra '97 fully tuned running 700+HP. I guess were all different. I learned drifting with high HP cars using my DS3 but I did start with low HP when I was just using my wheel.

I never said I can´t control the car, I said most beginners have problems with it because the high RPM turbo on the S13 actually gives some turbo lag. I say this because I have a lot of tunes shared on a Dutch Gran Turismo site and the one with high RPM turbo gave problems to beginners. Plus the Supra is very different compared to an S13, the difference between a medium and high rpm turbo is like 10 HP on a Supra. That car already has so much wheelspin by itself, you can link tracks with that car if you just add any turbo on it.

My first car in game was the 180SX Type X maxed out, lowered and no camber. For me it wasn´t hard to drift it, because I was practicing every day in that car. Anyway, nowadays all cars have a medium turbo or low turbo, it is way more smooth to drift if you ask me and I have no problems to keep up with faster cars.

Duman079
I never said I can´t control the car, I said most beginners have problems with it because the high RPM turbo on the S13 actually gives some turbo lag. I say this because I have a lot of tunes shared on a Dutch Gran Turismo site and the one with high RPM turbo gave problems to beginners. Plus the Supra is very different compared to an S13, the difference between a medium and high rpm turbo is like 10 HP on a Supra. That car already has so much wheelspin by itself, you can link tracks with that car if you just add any turbo on it.

My first car in game was the 180SX Type X maxed out, lowered and no camber. For me it wasn´t hard to drift it, because I was practicing every day in that car. Anyway, nowadays all cars have a medium turbo or low turbo, it is way more smooth to drift if you ask me and I have no problems to keep up with faster cars.

Well, we all have different opinions but I usually max out my cars and my steering, accelerator, braking is smooth enough because Im using a wheel.

Well the thing is you learn the fundamentals a LOT better with low hp cars. Meaning 250hp max. Yes it can be frustrating but you will actually learn how the line you take will affect everything about not only the corner you are entering into but the next ones as well. You will learn how to use weight shifting to your advantage, as well other techniques that when going straight to 500hp cars WON'T teach you. You become a better drifter because of it. But it's your choice.

My 0.02... how I started drifting (DS3) - hope it proves useful to anyone starting

I bought a premium S13 (wanted a old-ish FR and loved the look of it), installed a few HP mods (I sometimes run only 220 BHP), close ratio transmission, comfort hards. I put TCS etc off, and mucked about on Autumn Ring and Deep Forest. Plenty of low speed twisties, and some elevation changes to play with. After a while a turned off ABS - I wish now that I'd had it off from the word go. After that I played around with brake balance and trail braking until I found I was making corner entries that I found comfortable, then I tried some scandinavian flicks. The power and gears suited me quite well for easy throttle control. After that I started mucking around with LSD settings and suspension.

IMHO (echoing what others have said), lower HP cars are better to start on. With higher HP cars it's so easy to either enter a corner way too fast, or dump the throttle mid turn and instaburn the tyres, leading to ploughing off the course or spinning respectively. If have a bad session I often practice grip driving for a lap or two and gradually add some slip until I'm comfortably drifting again. It works better for me than getting more aggressive, which invariably leads me to make more mistakes.

Cheers,

Bread

My 0.02... how I started drifting (DS3) - hope it proves useful to anyone starting

I bought a premium S13 (wanted a old-ish FR and loved the look of it), installed a few HP mods (I sometimes run only 220 BHP), close ratio transmission, comfort hards. I put TCS etc off, and mucked about on Autumn Ring and Deep Forest. Plenty of low speed twisties, and some elevation changes to play with. After a while a turned off ABS - I wish now that I'd had it off from the word go. After that I played around with brake balance and trail braking until I found I was making corner entries that I found comfortable, then I tried some scandinavian flicks. The power and gears suited me quite well for easy throttle control. After that I started mucking around with LSD settings and suspension.

IMHO (echoing what others have said), lower HP cars are better to start on. With higher HP cars it's so easy to either enter a corner way too fast, or dump the throttle mid turn and instaburn the tyres, leading to ploughing off the course or spinning respectively. If have a bad session I often practice grip driving for a lap or two and gradually add some slip until I'm comfortably drifting again. It works better for me than getting more aggressive, which invariably leads me to make more mistakes.

Cheers,

Bread

That last part I found helpful. I think I'm a good drifter. Not amazing but not bad. And your 100% right. I couldn't agree me about everyone has a bad day on the track. Normally all I do is just say F it and leave but the grip suggestion you made I will diffidently try out next time. Thanks!

GREEEAAAAT TIIPPP! If you go to the settings and you switch O and square, it can help you A LOT! The S2000 is a great drift car for beginners as NAUGHTYBEAR9 had said.

Back