Drift Line Selection - a Discussion

Suspension/LSD/downforce settings might make a small difference... but for what you're describing (provided your camber isn't ridiculous, and without seeing the rest of your settings) I believe the majority of the wheelspin to be a product of power and tire compound only.
True, but if he's running 550 hp in say a Silvia, that would cause that same problem.

And no aids, please no aids.

Words to live by for anyone that drifts in GT4

So which would you recommend? I also really seem to have a problem with spinning the tires on a straightaway... I don't know if it is in the gearing, tires, torque, or what... The only other thing that I can figure out is that I have driving aids turned off, but it seems to work for others, and I have noticed that in videos with gauges, others seem to hold the cars at full throttle, but I have to hold at half or lower just to keep traction to get enough speed for a decent drift. If there is already a post out there that explains this, please direct me in the right direction. Also, I am using a DS2 if that makes a difference, but I do have moderate skills with the throttle control due to playing a lot of Tourist Trophy :sly:

The Torque between a Car and a Motorcycle is really different. I go by feeling, its like I can see it coming but I always correct it by lowering the gas, so the track also various. If you take a line and go through it and don't like it, repeat until you are satisfy.

stiffer rear stabs, lsd tuning, chassis stiffening may all work, but less power/stickier rubber is the easiest fix...

Also, when you see in a vid that people seem to go full throttle, keep in mind that the pedals seem to be more delicate than the throttle display... I can have my throttle halfway down and it still displays almost full.

It's also about WHEN you feather the throttle..

Ske
stiffer rear stabs, lsd tuning, chassis stiffening may all work, but less power/stickier rubber is the easiest fix...

Also, when you see in a vid that people seem to go full throttle, keep in mind that the pedals seem to be more delicate than the throttle display... I can have my throttle halfway down and it still displays almost full.

Same thing goes for the button sensitivity.

I am using the DS2, and I have gotten really good at throttle control with the buttons. I do realize the difference b/t the cars and bikes (especially on the straitaway on trial mountain!), but I think my main problem has been too much throttle at the start of a drift causing oversteer. I have fixed my issue with tire spin, I just didn't realize how little gas I should give initially... Also, I have found that (back to thread topic...) I really like a slightly modified racing line. However, if I don't get the first drift of a track just right, I just screw around until I start a new lap... that first drift is crucial!!!

I am using the DS2, and I have gotten really good at throttle control with the buttons. I do realize the difference b/t the cars and bikes (especially on the straitaway on trial mountain!), but I think my main problem has been too much throttle at the start of a drift causing oversteer. I have fixed my issue with tire spin, I just didn't realize how little gas I should give initially... Also, I have found that (back to thread topic...) I really like a slightly modified racing line. However, if I don't get the first drift of a track just right, I just screw around until I start a new lap... that first drift is crucial!!!

Oversteer=Good, Understeer= Bad. Hulk is confused

Oversteer=Good, Understeer= Bad. Hulk is confused

Oversteer bad when back swings all the way around causing spinout... this again, is a throttle control issue, I think, but I have made vast improvement over the past few days, especially since I have joined the forum!

Thanks to all for your help! I will be posting my settings for my Evo VIII in the settings section in the next few days, I would like to see a video of what someone else can do with it! FYI you really have to back off the throttle and be VERY patient before getting back on it... but it holds the line nicely!

Maybe there is something wrong with your LSD settings or your suspension

I thought so too, but I realize now that being ADD doesn't help when you have to be patient in a race! I have a lead thumb... I have to get in that zone, where everything else just fades away, then I get good rhythm and can control wicked drifts, but as I said before, if you miss that first drift, nothing else matches up when going for speed...

I thought so too, but I realize now that being ADD doesn't help when you have to be patient in a race! I have a lead thumb... I have to get in that zone, where everything else just fades away, then I get good rhythm and can control wicked drifts, but as I said before, if you miss that first drift, nothing else matches up when going for speed...

Well, why are you going for speed anyway? If you like it that's great, but it's faster to just grip.

Also, when you mess up you need to reset yourself on the track to get back into the good line. This means slowing down and getting ready.

Well, why are you going for speed anyway? If you like it that's great, but it's faster to just grip.

This is not entirely true... I have been able to get comparable times drifting and not... I sometimes set a ghost driving with grip, then try to match or beat with a drift. If controlled properly, I can get pretty fast exits on turns. I am trying to get sideways and still go as fast as possible through the tracks, just because when going through the game, it feels almost like you are humiliating the computer when you play around like that. Plus it is also fun to do when racing friends... They are all like :nervous: "Crap! I can't believe you can drive like that!" So then you can still race an opponent, and still have a beautiful replay...

I drift for angle AND speed:)

Also, on some tracks you need to get a little sideways naturally... (some sections of Nuremberg can be that way)

Oh, yeah, and sometimes you are going too fast on your approach and have to modify driving style getting sideways to avoid the grass or a wall...

This is not entirely true...

Yes it is entirely true. It's a matter of physics. Grip driving an entire track and drifting an entire track, all things being equal, the grip car will win. Period.

I drift for angle AND speed:)

That's a heck of a good trick. Because the more angle you get the slower you go. Again, physics. Look at some of Sherons speed drifts and you'll notice his angle is minimal.

Also, on some tracks you need to get a little sideways naturally... (some sections of Nuremberg can be that way)
Oh, yeah, and sometimes you are going too fast on your approach and have to modify driving style getting sideways to avoid the grass or a wall...

Drifting can and does enable you to change your line a little bit and possibly take advantage of an opponents approach. No argument there.

Yes it is entirely true. It's a matter of physics. Grip driving an entire track and drifting an entire track, all things being equal, the grip car will win. Period.

Typically, yes we are in agreement, after all physics is an exact science.

That's a heck of a good trick. Because the more angle you get the slower you go. Again, physics. Look at some of Sherons speed drifts and you'll notice his angle is minimal.

One thing that I have noticed is that if you get a good angle through to the apex, you can start to straighten out, and get good grip on exit you won't lose too much time... if you hold the angle throughout, then yes this is entirely true, plus when racing an opponent, car choice is key, as is opponent skill level. I guess that I am a better driver than most of my friends, but I will say that you'd probably spank me on the track... But all in due time

Just so you all know, I am not questioning anyone's intelligence, if I didn't respect what you say, I wouldn't be here asking advice. All is very appreciated, I just want to express my personal style.

So thanks to all, and I really hope to this point that I have not offended anyone. Also, I sometimes play a fool or may say things that I know might not be right, because you all can offer insight I may have (and probably did) overlooked.

You have a whole track to catch up and make a good rhythm

Yeah, I guess I just get ahead of myself... yet on smaller tracks like Motorland, and even Clubman Route 5, most drifts are connected, and the only way to hit them ALL with precision, the first one must be almost perfect to complete the flow, otherwise, each successive bend will be that much more off from the one before it, and walls get hit, and they don't like getting hit... Save the walls... or if it is pretty enough of a line, SHAVE the walls!

I like getting close!

Oh, and Swift? for speed, a lot is to be said for exit speed, but I have yet to perfect my skills

Oh, and Swift? for speed, a lot is to be said for exit speed, but I have yet to perfect my skills

While it's true in some cases. But most of the time, exit speed from a good racing line in grip driving will be faster.

first... im not a total newb.. i have been a member of this forum for a while but ive just kinda absorbed the info not given any so.. ill start now...

When you drift, do you try to maintain a traditional racing (outside, inside, outside) line? or do you do something different?

i generally try to stay close to a basicracing line w/ slight variations depending on speed and entry. i generally start late and brake, turn then conter steer then get on the gas.. im not shure exactly i just kinda do it by habit and dont think much about it...

my drift style is more for speed w/ a slight show influence... i try to keep a drift w/ a reletvely low angle but i will kickit out if i can keep up the speed.. i found that i change my style slightly to fit a track, for example, on trail mountain i generally do moreshow style drifts than at infeild​

Balance...there is no other way to put it. The fastest line calls for grip and drift. The fastest line will always be a combination of the two styles mixed perfectly. Keep your tires at their limits and drive balls to the wall. You cannot drift every corner on a track and expect to make record times but if you drift the right corners you can make killer lap times.

Balance...there is no other way to put it. (1)The fastest line calls for grip and drift. The fastest line will always be a combination of the two styles mixed perfectly. (2) Keep your tires at their limits and drive balls to the wall.(1) You cannot drift every corner on a track and expect to make record times but if you drift the right corners you can make killer lap times.
(1)
Well, you can make Killer laps times while drifting all corners. Ask Sheron, he is our veteran Speed Drifter and the best at it.(2) By keeping your tires at their limit, do you have Tire damage on in GT4?
What I'm thinking that the Corner exiting speed is what matters really, but that brings up a different subject.

(2) By keeping your tires at their limit, do you have Tire damage on in GT4?
What I'm thinking that the Corner exiting speed is what matters really, but that brings up a different subject.

Excellent point, Excellent question. 👍

EXIT SPEED is what counts if you want to go fast...So usually a car that is gripping is putting more power down to the ground rather then spinnin the tires like the drifting car. The grip car is Accelerating harder out the corner then the drifting car...This alone tells you that Grip is faster....

There is a way drift can be faster though....but that has to do with skill level...If a grip car overbrakes it can be overtaken...I think that is a skill factor though.

Drift can keep up with grip....I have done this many times on xlink racing people that strictly grip....BUT once skill levels even up there is no way drift should beat grip.

Drifting in races is fun and challenging....Sometimes if you are fast and frustrate the other person by showing them drift...It gets the other driver to start drifting...grippers can crumble trying to follow the usually wider drifting line...In other words...Grip to go Drift FO SHO

Oh yes....my line....I take a wider line when I drift (out in out), using the Drift as a brake to slow down...almost a no brake technique....My Grip line is very similar but a lot tighter... I view the drift line as a real loose race line.

on the big sweeper on something like the Tsukuba Circuit, right before i get to the apex of the sweeper, i beging the drift and then i'll just finish it off on the straight.

sorry for bringing up old topic. just adding in my 2 cents

sometimes i get on the perfect line and everything goes well but then on other corners my car just slides and slides but i have no control so i go off the track! i use the outside line, brake so my tail slides out then accelerate throu the corner....👍 driffting!!!

I tend to stick to the middle of the track, then the drift just carries itself to the inside of the curve. Then it comes out either in the middle or the outside, depends on the curve.

I Usually stick to the racing line, but in long corners (Fuji) it's cooler to drift as close to the outer line, and not touching the grass on a couple of centimeters...

Back