Drift Line Selection - a Discussion

-When you drift, do you try to maintain a traditional racing (outside, inside, outside) line? or do you do something different?

The line I choose changes from track to track. It is modified to keep the car in motion as I negotiate the turns. That is, I could use a racing line for one corner and another one for the next corner, but I tend to choose one line that will alow me to drift the two.

-Why do you choose this line?

It's my style. I won't call it my own and only style, since everyone can agree with me, and other people may disagree.

-Perhaps you could explain how you setup your drifts around your favourite, or most comfortable, track. And explain why you choose to drift it in this manner, if it seems like an original way of approaching it.

My favourite drift track is Special Stage Route 5. There are different kind of corners all over it. The lines you can take are infinite, but there is always a line in every track that will allow you to drift faster than other lines. The concept for a racing line (grip) is the same for a drift line. You choose the more effective. Example: the first sweeper could be taken in a traditional out-in-out. No, I'd rather drift it in a "semi-out"-in-in line. That is, I will keep as close to the walls as possible, if the car understeers, apply the brakes. That alone should help. Other corners, as the hairpin of the same track, are not as easy to drift.

-When you drift, do you try to maintain a traditional racing (outside, inside, outside) line? or do you do something different?

The line I choose changes from track to track. It is modified to keep the car in motion as I negotiate the turns. That is, I could use a racing line for one corner and another one for the next corner, but I tend to choose one line that will alow me to drift the two.

-Why do you choose this line?

It's my style. I won't call it my own and only style, since everyone can agree with me, and other people may disagree.

-Perhaps you could explain how you setup your drifts around your favourite, or most comfortable, track. And explain why you choose to drift it in this manner, if it seems like an original way of approaching it.

My favourite drift track is Special Stage Route 5. There are different kind of corners all over it. The lines you can take are infinite, but there is always a line in every track that will allow you to drift faster than other lines. The concept for a racing line (grip) is the same for a drift line. You choose the more effective. Example: the first sweeper could be taken in a traditional out-in-out. No, I'd rather drift it in a "semi-out"-in-in line. That is, I will keep as close to the walls as possible, if the car understeers, apply the brakes. That alone should help. Other corners, as the hairpin of the same track, are not as easy to drift.
Got a video?
Because every line is effective but when it comes to judging and battling it is very crucial. Sometimes Drifting isn't needed, especially in SSR5.

Sadly, I don't have any videos. I was checking out some faqs, but it seems I will have to record videos straight from the TV, using a camera T_T . I drift only for "exhibition", I mean, if I have to race against the AI, I will use grip. Drifting is, in my opinion, another way to show skills in controlling the car. I'm currently using an over-used car, the Shuichi Shigeno AE86 (I am sooooo original, guys). I have been drifting with it since last week, it already has more than 1300 km on it (21600 exactly on it at the time I wrote this message). I always drift at SSR5, I like the dark track, wish every track had a night version, that way I could drift in other ones.
As far as what you said, it seems you are talking about drifting competitions. Personally, I don't have any interest in that. I only want to become better than myself. But I really appreciate your opinion.

I apologize for my english, I hope you understand what I wanted to say.

I do but exhibition drifting usually have one line that shows more angle, more smoke, more speed, more exit/ entrance speed. But who knows, that course does vary on that.

Back