Drift Racing?

• Thread starter CheladaJr
  • 48 comments
United States
Michigan
QuintenXavier
Xbox_Is_Gay
After Seeing This "Fight" I looked more into this "Drift Racing" and thought why do Dom and Dark have to have all the fun! Sooo I figured why don't "We" (The users of GTPlanet) Get together and do this sometimes! Not as a Competition,but for fun. You gotta admit. It looked fun! Soo Let me hear some feedback and we will see how this beautiful idea was mean't to Turn out! This would strictly be for fun purposes!

Its All about the Fun folks!

This is actually an awesome idea, missiles would make this a blast! I might get my boys later and try this.

This is actually an awesome idea, missiles would make this a blast! I might get my boys later and try this.

If you do try this let me know Eric! this Maze thing seems to be fun, i honestly didnt knew this existed until DA brought it up and im still amazed at the part when they just destroy their bumpers but keep going just to win in the video she posted haha

I haven't watched the video thats been posted in this thread but ill check it out when i get home.

Count with me for trying this, could be fun.

Maze is the track name. And yes, drift racing is quite fun. Lol

Edit: The video in this thread is just a round of Muscle Drift, which is a new category, created by Keiichi himself, because D1GP was more serious and less fun.

As a poor drifter, but a decent driver, I'd be interested. Curious as to what tires would be used for a hybrid race though?

Im glad you guys like this! I'll set something up! I dont know for the tires? Maybe CM's? Cause You can slide and get some grip too!

Have a CM and a CS class. Almost any CH car can run CMs without a dramatic change in control
But as grip goes up and more power is needed to maintain a drift, some low powered cars will suffer greater penalties for trying to use CS tires, even if they are just as fast on CH as the competition is.

What is the difference to a "normal" competition?

Beside the fun part. :D

Most people take a normal competition as a serious one. So they take it really hard if they lose and thats how problems can start. So if I'm gonna start hosting these they will be strictly fun. If you lose it is all in good will! :dopey:

So if I'm gonna start hosting these they will be strictly fun. If you lose it is all in good will! :dopey:

Like it should be.........in a game! 👍

Has it the same rules (HP restrictions, clipping points etc)? And will it be in sections or full track battles?
Don't want to get serious about ;).........just asking, cuz i hearded of these the first time.

Like it should be.........in a game! 👍

Has it the same rules (HP restrictions, clipping points etc)? And will it be in sections or full track battles?
Don't want to get serious about ;).........just asking, cuz i hearded of these the first time.

I'll be updating The OP!

OK so after watching the video I've come to this conclusion. From the video this is just small pro-am/domestic/small time local/grassroots event. If you noticed they just kept everything small like it was back in the early stages of D1. Absolutely no grip racing around the track was done. Not hating on any suggestions of a drift race but this isn't the right example of one.......IMHO

Am I the only one that is confused about this? In the first video it just looked like a regular drift competition. The second video that was posted is very confusing as well, they are just grip driving/racing like 3/4ths of the track then they drift the last 1/4th I just don't get it.

I find it pretty stupid to be honest :P Drifting is what you want to avoid when you want to race and be fast. You drift because it is the most awesome way to go around a turn...

I've thought about it, and the best way I could see this working is with a set of rules like this:

Tire wear must be on. Tire choices from Comfort Hard to Comfort Soft are at the discretion of the driver. There is a PP range the drivers agree on, like say 450-500 pp where everything in-between is fair game.

The winner is the one who has the lowest overall time, not the one who crosses the line first. During the drift sections, failure to tandem properly (anything that would result in a D1 DQ) offers a +5 second penalty to their final time. This means that inability to drift your race car could cause a +25 second difference. That, combined with the tirewear of improper drifting, definitely means that drifting with skill and finesse is vital for speed.

Failure to drift the section at all would also incur a penalty.

At the end, the judge/judges pick a stylistic drift winner just like in D1, who has 5 seconds removed from their time. That isn't 5 per lap, but just 5 overall.

This means that to win, an optimal selection between a car that can drift well and efficiently, and a car that can still race fast, without wearing the tires down too quickly, would win. Considering how fast (Imagine Suzuka for 5 laps, and drifting the tandem section 5 times, on CS tires) tires can wear, I think it makes for a more fair competition if the two cars are kept within a general performance range.

The whole point is that the winner must be able to drift carefully and stylishly, but also race with speed and efficiency as well. It would be impossible for a car that is not set up to drift at all to enter one of these competitions, and still win even though they would fail repeatedly at the drift section. Likewise, a drift car without any regard to control and speed during the race sections, or conservation of tires, would fail too.

I've thought about it, and the best way I could see this working is with a set of rules like this:

Tire wear must be on. Tire choices from Comfort Hard to Comfort Soft are at the discretion of the driver. There is a PP range the drivers agree on, like say 450-500 pp where everything in-between is fair game.

The winner is the one who has the lowest overall time, not the one who crosses the line first. During the drift sections, failure to tandem properly (anything that would result in a D1 DQ) offers a +5 second penalty to their final time. This means that inability to drift your race car could cause a +25 second difference. That, combined with the tirewear of improper drifting, definitely means that drifting with skill and finesse is vital for speed.

Failure to drift the section at all would also incur a penalty.

At the end, the judge/judges pick a stylistic drift winner just like in D1, who has 5 seconds removed from their time. That isn't 5 per lap, but just 5 overall.

This means that to win, an optimal selection between a car that can drift well and efficiently, and a car that can still race fast, without wearing the tires down too quickly, would win. Considering how fast (Imagine Suzuka for 5 laps, and drifting the tandem section 5 times, on CS tires) tires can wear, I think it makes for a more fair competition if the two cars are kept within a general performance range.

The whole point is that the winner must be able to drift carefully and stylishly, but also race with speed and efficiency as well. It would be impossible for a car that is not set up to drift at all to enter one of these competitions, and still win even though they would fail repeatedly at the drift section. Likewise, a drift car without any regard to control and speed during the race sections, or conservation of tires, would fail too.

I like this! This is what I was thinking about doing anyway!

I've ran similar drift events, along time ago, and its always surprising how vastly different cars can be evened out by allowing tire wear and adverse conditions.

The difference between Touge and this is the stark differences between drift and grip during the track.

Touge is a race throughout, and while drifting is not as disadvantageous there as it is in many other forms (and can definitely be faster in certain circumstances) it does not have a designated section where drifting is required and judged, and then grip racing expected the rest of the lap.

Anyone else think this sounds like Touge?

Not particularly, Touge isn't centred around drifting particular parts of a track or anything like that.

It's about getting around a tight course as quickly as possible :lol: sometimes drifting is the quickest way to achieve that, sometimes not.

Guys, you are making the simple get complicated!

The first video in this thread is indeed wrong to the topic, as i stated, it is merely a round of the competition called "Drift Muscle"!

The video i posted, which is a drift race, is a 5 laps grip racing, where in ONE section drivers must drift. It has nothing to do with D1 rules or anything... The only drift rule there is that you have to drift in that section, otherwise you are disclassified.

Yes, the fastest wins and no, nobody rates your drift.

Atention! This drift-race don't have anything in common with drift competitions. Do you guys understand how simple it is now? :lol:

Guys, you are making the simple get complicated!

The first video in this thread is indeed wrong to the topic, as i stated, it is merely a round of the competition called "Drift Muscle"!

The video i posted, which is a drift race, is a 5 laps grip racing, where in ONE section drivers must drift. It has nothing to do with D1 rules or anything... The only drift rule there is that you have to drift in that section, otherwise you are disclassified.

Yes, the fastest wins and no, nobody rates your drift.

Atention! This drift-race don't have anything in common with drift competitions. Do you guys understand how simple it is now? :lol:

This! She is very correct. I have to agree.

So what makes this drift racing is only the fact that one unjudged section requires you to drift; but how that section is drifted has no bearing on the outcome unless it results in one crossing the finish line 1st.
I'm just gonna put this out there...this idea blows, at least in a setting where there's going to be more than 1 car on track. From what I saw of the video, it seems like it was a time attack with a drift section, a la Tokyo Extreme Racer Drift/Yuke's D1GP/ any manner of NFS..
This is a contest where I see the Ricky Bobby mentality prevailing; "screw form and technique, if you ain't 1st, you're last."

Back