Drift

Lancer Drifter
Sorry about my english, a portuguese speaking english is a little hard.:D Sometimes this happen. My question was and is: I want a car to drift, but can't be a japanese car. What car should I buy?
Corvette Grand Sport.
Camaro Z/28.
Corvette ZR-1.

Okay?

LaNcErFrEaK86
guys...can a sileighty drift?? i tried a lot of times but i can't do it...

Sileighty is a great car to drift, maybe you need a new settings for it.

Look for settings for a s13 or a 240sx, or put he car lower than possible, and the back stiffer than front.

Lancer Drifter
Look for settings for a s13 or a 240sx, or put he car lower than possible, and the back stiffer than front.

The back stiffer than the front?.... You still don't understand what the suspension does, do you...?...

The spring rates should be stiffer in the front, and softer in the rear.... This creates a pivot point, and allows for the rear to lose traction easier.....

;)

silviadrifter
The back stiffer than the front?.... You still don't understand what the suspension does, do you...?...

The spring rates should be stiffer in the front, and softer in the rear.... This creates a pivot point, and allows for the rear to lose traction easier.....

;)

Ok, your settings make the car drift more easily, but make the car spin very easily too, my settings make the car understeer if not in drift, but my is better at drifting, because you can have more speed and control during the drift.

Lancer Drifter
Ok, your settings make the car drift more easily, but make the car spin very easily too, my settings make the car understeer if not in drift, but my is better at drifting, because you can have more speed and control during the drift.

You just don't get it....

You can't use trickery, or counterproductive settings..... Technique is the key.....

I can drift almost every turn/section in GT2/GT3, with great angle, and smooth line.... There is a good reason for this.... I have taken the time to learn real life techniques, and researched how/why the settings do what they do....

Making the spring rates stiffer in the back, is counterproductive (for drifting)..... However, you just want to be stubborn....

You don't realise that you spin out a lot with my settings, because you are used to crazy counterproductive settings, and lack the ability to control it....

You can do whatever you want, but don't tell everyone else to use counterproductive settings/technique, because I have to go around and help people unlearn what becomes bad habbit..... Once you have learned something the wrong way, it takes a lot of time to unlearn it..... That's why you should always make sure you get it right (or as close as possible) the first time.....

;)

silviadrifter
You just don't get it....

You can't use trickery, or counterproductive settings..... Technique is the key.....

I can drift almost every turn/section in GT2/GT3, with great angle, and smooth line.... There is a good reason for this.... I have taken the time to learn real life techniques, and researched how/why the settings do what they do....

Making the spring rates stiffer in the back, is counterproductive (for drifting)..... However, you just want to be stubborn....

You don't realise that you spin out a lot with my settings, because you are used to crazy counterproductive settings, and lack the ability to control it....

You can do whatever you want, but don't tell everyone else to use counterproductive settings/technique, because I have to go around and help people unlearn what becomes bad habbit..... Once you have learned something the wrong way, it takes a lot of time to unlearn it..... That's why you should always make sure you get it right (or as close as possible) the first time.....

;)

well put, as I said in another thread somewhere asking what drift cars do you have in your garage or something. all of them drift. you just gotta learn how to do it, it's not the machinery that drifts, it's you!

Well, lancerfreak86, use the settings you want, I already used my settings and from the silviadrifter, both can drift, I only prefer my settings because in speed drift the car don't spin so easily, but the settings from silviadrifter is more easier to exhibition drift.

Now I have another question, why so many people use e-brake to drift or to chain curves?

Lancer Drifter
Well, lancerfreak86, use the settings you want, I already used my settings and from the silviadrifter, both can drift, I only prefer my settings because in speed drift the car don't spin so easily, but the settings from silviadrifter is more easier to exhibition drift.

Now I have another question, why so many people use e-brake to drift or to chain curves?

I wouldn't say a lot of people use that technique..... The e-brake is a good tool, but as you've stated, it can be quite overused..... It is an amature technique, that people tend to use to start learning how to initiate drifts..... I use the e-brake, but only if absolutely necessary (or if I'm sliding FF's).....

;)

(wtf is this e-brake, emergency brake? it's not for ferkin emergencies /off rant) the handbrake is the easiest way to get a car properly sideways before a turn. it's quite possible to hang it out mid turn just under power, or with a bloody great big flick pre corner to get it sideways before the corner. In gt2 it's the only way to get the back out proper before a corner, since shiftlock doesn't work without a clutch. I know you don't use it silvia drifter, and it shows. while you have superior skills hanging it out through turns and linking, you rarely get cars totally sideways before corners. learn how to use this "amateur" as you call it technique, it looks better.

oxigen_gsr
(wtf is this e-brake, emergency brake? it's not for ferkin emergencies /off rant) the handbrake is the easiest way to get a car properly sideways before a turn. it's quite possible to hang it out mid turn just under power, or with a bloody great big flick pre corner to get it sideways before the corner. In gt2 it's the only way to get the back out proper before a corner, since shiftlock doesn't work without a clutch. I know you don't use it silvia drifter, and it shows. while you have superior skills hanging it out through turns and linking, you rarely get cars totally sideways before corners. learn how to use this "amateur" as you call it technique, it looks better.

LOL.... it may be the easiest way, but it certainly does not look the best.....

Also, I have cars sideways before most turns..... You do not need the sidebreak (and yes the e-brake is supposed to be for emergencies, hence the name) to get a car sideways before a turn... If you use propper weight transfer technique, you can get it sideways way before a turn, and with a lot more fluidity....

You seem to think that shift lock, and e-brake are the only ways to get a car sideways.... You are quite mistaken..... These techniques are only to be used in conjunction with weight transfer, so if you do not have a good grasp of weight transfer, those techniques will make for very choppy, non fluid drifts....

Furthermore, I said I do use the e-brake.....

;)

oxigen_gsr
i know what i meant, you took it all wrong. cant be bothered explaining, but i'm not crazy!

Well, I can only infer from what you type..... If you mean something other than what you typed, by all means, please explain your reasoning, so I will have a better idea of what you are trying to get across.....

;)

"it's quite possible to hang it out mid turn just under power, or with a bloody great big flick pre corner to get it sideways before the corner. "
self explanitory.

"In gt2 it's the only way to get the back out proper before a corner, since shiftlock doesn't work without a clutch."
not entirely true i'll give you that. you can use a bloody grat big flick to get it out, my point is that you don't do it very well, and it shows. using the handbrake might be "lame" (it's not for emergencies dammit) but it gets a car sideways, and scrubs off speed. it looks better. you don't get your cars very sideways pre corner, i've seen your vids, maybe you should consider not just how hard a drift is but how it looks. it's about looking good. and getting it hell sideways with the handbrake looks good. better than anything i've seen you do.

not trying to slam your technique, it just sounds like you think your way is the only and the best way. maybe you should consider that other people aren't all idiots who think they can drift coz they spun their mum's car out in the wet once.

oxigen_gsr
"it's quite possible to hang it out mid turn just under power, or with a bloody great big flick pre corner to get it sideways before the corner. "
self explanitory.

"In gt2 it's the only way to get the back out proper before a corner, since shiftlock doesn't work without a clutch."
not entirely true i'll give you that. you can use a bloody grat big flick to get it out, my point is that you don't do it very well, and it shows. using the handbrake might be "lame" (it's not for emergencies dammit) but it gets a car sideways, and scrubs off speed. it looks better. you don't get your cars very sideways pre corner, i've seen your vids, maybe you should consider not just how hard a drift is but how it looks. it's about looking good. and getting it hell sideways with the handbrake looks good. better than anything i've seen you do.

not trying to slam your technique, it just sounds like you think your way is the only and the best way. maybe you should consider that other people aren't all idiots who think they can drift coz they spun their mum's car out in the wet once.

This is an obvious unprovoked atack on my technique.....

It sounds like you have some issues... First you slam my technique, and then tack on, "not trying to slam your technique", to try and cover for it.... I'm not stupid, and I will not be baited into such a petty argument....

Furthermore, I prefer the term sidebrake, but the term E-brake makes complete sense.... The sidebrake is in vehicles for emergency situations.... It was not intended for racing/drifting situations, yet it can be a useful tool nonetheless.....

using the handbrake might be "lame" (it's not for emergencies dammit) but it gets a car sideways, and scrubs off speed. it looks better.

Here you go again.... I never said once that using the e-brake was "lame", in fact I have continually stated that it is a usefull technique....

I think you need to step back and realise that drifting isn't just about "getting it hell sideways" (whatever that means)....

I think it's funny as hell, that you have attacked me, about not using a technique, that I do use....

However, I will agree that in GT2, due to the less realistic physics system, the e-brake might be a more effective way to get the car sideways (depending on the settings, and car).... Though, other techniques can still be effective....

better than anything i've seen you do.

You're going to eat your words, when my current project is released....

;)

;)

man ther'es a difference between an attack on your technique, and saying that it's flawed and doesn't look any good. and attack would be "you are ****". i never suggested or though that was the case, I have infact praised you good points (fluidity dgree of difficulty). i'm just saying that you don't get sideways before corners as much as you probably should, and that it would be good to see more of it. i'm sick of being told i don't know what the hell i'm talking about. why take this so damn personally, it's a forum, we're her to discuss things. if you don't like criticism on your work, don't go looking for it by posting vids. some people will like it, some wont. I'm just offering that maybe you're not perfect. never said i could do any better, I doubt i could. but I do think your technique is flawed, and i don't think it looks as good as it could.

man ther'es a difference between an attack on your technique, and saying that it's flawed and doesn't look any good.

lol.... What a blatant contradiction....

Furthermore, I have never stated that I am the be all end all of technique.... I have meerly stated that I understand all of the techniques, and how they are used in real life situations... This has come through a lot of research... So yeah, I am proud of the knowledge I have atained through hard work, and practice....

Also, I am interested in knowing which vids you are refering to?.... I haven't put out any FR footage for quite a long time.... The last vid I put out was "Countersteer Zero", which showcased all AWD vehicles, drifting with no countersteer... This vid was to showcase a very specific style, and is in no way a reflection of my FR, MR, RR, drifting ability, or technique.....

Stock Silvias - footage 2 years old
Slide - footage between 1.5 and 2 years old
Sim Adv. 2nd Stage - footage 1.5 years old

So, if you are refering to these vids, then I completely agree with you.... I was not very experienced yet, and was still refining my technique, and finding my style..... There is no recent (even remotely recent) FR, MR, RR, or even FF footage, for you to gain any incite into my technique, or style, so you really don't have much of an argument...

i'm just saying that you don't get sideways before corners as much as you probably should, and that it would be good to see more of it.

Actually, I am sideways before the corner about 75% of the time(unless the situation calls for otherwise), but of course you wouldn't know that, since I haven't released any footage.... You will indeed see some of that, in my current project.... (first project in a long time)..... I'm not sure when it will be done, but it shouldn't take too long to finish.....

I'm just offering that maybe you're not perfect

Captain obvious strikes again....

if you don't like criticism on your work, don't go looking for it by posting vids. some people will like it, some wont. I'm just offering that maybe you're not perfect. never said i could do any better, I doubt i could. but I do think your technique is flawed, and i don't think it looks as good as it could.

There is a difference between constructive criticism and,

it's flawed and doesn't look any good.

Not exactly constructive, and definitely not informative....

Let it go.... You have no argument, and you're just clutching at straws....

;)

LaNcErFrEaK86
well, ok..i 'll try to lower down de front suspension n make de rear suspension higher....izzit ok??

Put the ride heigh lower than possible, and in the spring ratio put the front stiffer than the back. This may be better during the drift, but it is only better for drift, in grip it causes understeering. If you want to try, put the rear brake at 24 to make the rears wheels block and make the rear slide (I only needed that at the beginning, I actually don't need that).

If you want more specific settings I can give you.

Now about the e-brake, in my opinion, for speed drift (that's my type of drift) the e-brake is really crap because it make the car lose rpm and rpm in speed drift is really important, and some times, with a good control of throttle, a guy can do the same like in e-brake. A guy only need a good control of throttle.

Lancer Drifter
Put the ride heigh lower than possible, and in the spring ratio put the front stiffer than the back. This may be better during the drift, but it is only better for drift, in grip it causes understeering. If you want to try, put the rear brake at 24 to make the rears wheels block and make the rear slide (I only needed that at the beginning, I actually don't need that).

If you want more specific settings I can give you.

Now about the e-brake, in my opinion, for speed drift (that's my type of drift) the e-brake is really crap because it make the car lose rpm and rpm in speed drift is really important, and some times, with a good control of throttle, a guy can do the same like in e-brake. A guy only need a good control of throttle.

Wow, I'm really surprised.... You have given good advice.....

;)

silviadrifter
lol.... What a blatant contradiction....

Furthermore, I have never stated that I am the be all end all of technique.... I have meerly stated that I understand all of the techniques, and how they are used in real life situations... This has come through a lot of research... So yeah, I am proud of the knowledge I have atained through hard work, and practice....

Also, I am interested in knowing which vids you are refering to?.... I haven't put out any FR footage for quite a long time.... The last vid I put out was "Countersteer Zero", which showcased all AWD vehicles, drifting with no countersteer... This vid was to showcase a very specific style, and is in no way a reflection of my FR, MR, RR, drifting ability, or technique.....

Stock Silvias - footage 2 years old
Slide - footage between 1.5 and 2 years old
Sim Adv. 2nd Stage - footage 1.5 years old

So, if you are refering to these vids, then I completely agree with you.... I was not very experienced yet, and was still refining my technique, and finding my style..... There is no recent (even remotely recent) FR, MR, RR, or even FF footage, for you to gain any incite into my technique, or style, so you really don't have much of an argument...

Actually, I am sideways before the corner about 75% of the time(unless the situation calls for otherwise), but of course you wouldn't know that, since I haven't released any footage.... You will indeed see some of that, in my current project.... (first project in a long time)..... I'm not sure when it will be done, but it shouldn't take too long to finish.....

Captain obvious strikes again....

There is a difference between constructive criticism and,

Not exactly constructive, and definitely not informative....

Let it go.... You have no argument, and you're just clutching at straws....

;)

my apologies for doubting your talent. I won't do it again. I'll keep using the e-brake though, untill, and If i ever learn, the same sort of throttle control as you. i suppose you're right, I'm just an amateuer who doesn't want to be told he's wrong.

oxigen_gsr
my apologies for doubting your talent. I won't do it again. I'll keep using the e-brake though, untill, and If i ever learn, the same sort of throttle control as you. i suppose you're right, I'm just an amateuer who doesn't want to be told he's wrong.

There is nothing wrong with using the e-brake..... You kept puting those words in my mouth..... I use the e-brake, as well as all other techniques (like any good drifter should), because you can't be a good drifter, if you don't use all the tools IMHO.....

;)

YES! E-BRAKE! gota love it. FWD cars simply cannot manage without it, and its fun in real life, but in GT, you cant break anything. I love to see civics or integras slide.

my fwd car will drift without the handbrake. I find it's somewhat easier because you don't have to take you hands off the wheel, just takes a big flick

Latest Posts

Back