• Bad

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Neutral

Votes: 26 26.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by ShobThaBob
See, thats what I dont like, I watched the whole initial D series 2 years ago, and it looked cool and all, but when people come up asking questions like 'what would be the best daily driver that i can drift', it just scares me. I used to do a bit of street racing back when I had my mustang, and it was fun, and not very hard to do, and it was all in a straight line. I have seen tons of wrecks from dumb kids who were trying to shift to second but end up steering into their opponent...its just not cool. Kids dont know how to drive very well...period. The last thing I want is another kid who cant drive trying to slide his mommy's RAV4 around a turn.

RAV4??? hahaha that be great....I odda try that sometime.... :lol: no wait...itd be too top heavy..... :(

See, Im thinking the same thing. All these average Joes that see drifting and automatically think they have the skills to out drift anyone on earth, im gettin sick of it. I drift, but I had training by guys that have been drifting their whole lives while I was in Japan for 2 years, and I still dont do it unless im in a closed area or in a competition (which there arnet many down here, damn I miss Japan :( ) Hhahah they should put an age restriction on drifting, that would slove everything :lol:

Originally posted by Sage
Well, I wouldn't have much of a problem for it if it weren't for the fact that as of the moment, it's almost a silly fad - Boy A sees something (anything) from Japan, thinks that since it's from Japan it's automatically awesome, spreads the word to his friends, and a whole cult that is on the verge of a religion is formed. As Klos said, it's the "bandwagon" effect that's stupidly annoying.

I agree fully. Please, for the love of all things holy, YOUR NOT AZN! so quit trying to be like us damit! :lol:

As for the issue of drifting in itself, that depends... I'd really prefer that it's under a controlled event, and not "outlawish-fun" like streetracing, though if you live in a small town with snow on the ground, have some fun. But I'm concerned about fresh 16-year-old drivers who just got their plastic from the DMV yesterday and who want to go out and drift their car - Such people seem to not realize that drifting is the practice of purposely losing traction. Loss of traction = Loss of directional and braking control, and when you don't have control of your car, you crash. As in, car damaged, you might be hurt, other people might be hurt, and money exchanged out of your or your parents' wallet. Not good.

Abotu te lost of traction, that actual definition of Drifting is the Dilerberate loss of traction in a CONTROLLED mannor. Thats why there are so many different drift styles, Some styles, you still have full control if you know what your doing, others, your just along for the ride :lol: I agree about the 16 year old drifters too. I go to school, and i see FRESHMEN walking around talking about how that cant get their cars so teh y can drift....its getting anoying. They jsut dont understand waht drifitng is, and very few actually do, and know how hard it is. They look at the guys in the magazines that have the car doors open and waving at the crowd while in mid-drift and think its so simple.

Well I cant totaly bash on the 16 year old thing, because im 17. Its just that ive been taught since I was 14 (thanks to my family in Japan, I never even heard of it till then) but I know when to do it, and when not to. I hear guys talking about drifting through stop lights, and it just makes me want to slap them......:lol:

Most definitely - In a controlled event, with a set course and people cleared out of harm's way, it's perfectly fine. And in fact, they do have such events. Like I said, my main concern is the fresh, new driver who thinks that their license automagically makes them good enough to drift on public roads where he could mow down a person.

I agree fully on this, this is how drfitng should always be. None of this "I bet you 50$" crap out in walmart parking lots and shiznit. Drifitng should never been done on the street (well, hear in the US atleast as there isnt many laws agianst mountain drifting in Japan)

Originally posted by M5Power
When you drift, then go on Internet message boards and talk endlessly about how cool "u" think it is without being asked, bad. Otherwise, whatever. Everybody thinks it's so unsafe, but in truth, a lot of stuff is unsafe to a lot of people. Drifting's no different. I just wish every single wannabe Japanese drift king would shut the hell up - nobody except them gives half a damn.

Good point.... Never noticed that till now.. :lol:

Originally posted by Cano
THAT IS PRECISELY the thing that I HATE. every new member of GTP comes in with the word "drift" on their nick, with a drifting car in their avatar, with some drift-related thing on their sig, and even in their location. if I see one of those dudes, from the get-go I dont take him seriously... just look at my sig. the incredible mainstreamed thing that drifting has become makes it absolutely lame, even if its not at all, as I recall that controlling a car in those conditions should be a real hell. but then this 13 tear old dude comes in and tells you that drifting is "Da sihznit yo!!!" and behind him a thousand or so people, AGH...

Yes, that is getting anyoing....Im starting to notice it more and more, like one guy in this forum, forgot what his name was, said he drove an R33. MY ASS I live in Pensacola, like 10 minutes away form Fort Walton Beach, and I know for a Fact there isnt a Skyline anywhere in that city, the garage he said he worked at doesent exist according to the phone operator too.... ITs that kind of thing that makes me sick. YOU DONT DRIFT so stop acting like you do thinking that it makes you "cooler"..... ****tards... :lol:

Drifting isnt that popular in mexico, thank god, but it is starting to infiltrate in the rice-magazine coverage and it might catch up really soon, as with all the rice thing. I just hope they dont make a movie about drifting (think driftfast driftfurious) because that would be it.

Taht would be a sad, sad day for exibition drifting if they did do a movie like that...... Thats when the big "im 16 and my honda civic can out drift yours" era...a sad, sad day indeed.....

Im tellin the GTP member thing because its in this forum that I have catched a glimpse of what driftin does right now. I dont have a manifestation of that over here, the only one I have its on this forum, and its this annoying. To think that its like that just in an intenet forum makes me scary :nervous:
what if the whole thing really grows in here, and I find that kinda people and that kinda cars everywhere???
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Im sry... thats just funny :lol:

Originally posted by Ethix101
I get what you're all saying and I agree with a lot of it. I shake my head every time I see a new member start posting with "AE86", "DRIFTER", or with an Initial D reference in their name (though there are a couple old school members with those references in their name from before the Initial D hype started).
I just get annoyed when people automatically assume that you're stupid because your a fan of drifting. (I may be stupid, but it has nothing to do with drifting. :) ) I see a lot of ignorant comments like that and it's just uncalled for.

Hahaha the funny thing is....id love to see one of these assholes go out and try to drift like they do in Inital D, thad be great to watch :D Really im starting to think Inital D is what started all this ****. I never heard of anyone getting arrested for drifitng through lights n **** till the local mall got an Inital D machine and the movie story starting selling the Initial D videos.....

Originally posted by KSaiyu
four wheel drifting drivers, I have a lot of respect for. Exhibition drifting I think is fine, but personally I wouldn't go out of my way to perfect it.

Who wouldnt have respect for them? damn youd either have to be insane, have an un god like drifting ability, or the biggest kahones on earth to 4-wheel drift.... ive rode with a 4-wheel drifter...that sacred me ****less :lol:

Originally posted by KillerB
I really enjoy watching drift competitions, and I think a well-executed drift run is a thing of beauty.

But it's not fast - and the only people that really bug me are those who think Initial D is real and that drifting is the fast way around the corner. Exhibition drifting is NOT terribly fast, though in certain types of drift comps that are head-to-head, pulling off a pass while drifting is almost a sure-fire way to win the competition.

The people who I find most obnoxious though are the ones who say "drifting is stupid cause it's slow." Speed isn't the point, and drifters aren't just "guys who suck and can't hold a racing line." It takes a lot of skill to drift well. A LOT.

Totally true. Speed isnt the point, its precision, skill, accracy and style is what counts in exhibition drifitng. True you do see some high speed stuff too, like I saw a Supra doing 90-100+ MPH drifts don a straight away

Originally posted by milefile
Drifitng in real life? Go ahead and wreck your car if you want. I could care less. Just don't do it on public roads.

Normally doesent happen much, cept to the ****tards you see on the news when they cause big accidents n stuff. Its very rare you see a accident in an exhibition, and thats usually from over compensating comming out of a drift. Not that it matters, as you could care less, just thought other people should know.

Damn, thats a lot of replies :D Sry, I just like to be active in my threads, and I like to respond to everyones comments. But since im at school till 1:50, and they blocked all Message Forums on the school server (thanks to me :lol: ) I cant respond till I get home. Just felt like explaning the sudden bust of post lol

First thread on the board so a lot of you will think I am full of crap, however some of the guys like KillerB and Cuda know me and know I am real.

Here is the deal with drift.

First it is a judged competition on style like surfing, dance, diving, freestyle skiing. Speed is not a factor at all to be a winner in a drift comp.

Someone way back said that the only reason guys drift is becasue they can not race fast. Well I hate to teel you this but many of the D1 (Japan's pro drift comp) are professional racers come from F1, JGTC, Formual Nippon, NASCAR, FIA and rally. Also many of the D1 drivers have gone on to race as well.

Is drift a true motorsport? Of course it is, it takes place using a car and is a contest, enough said there.

Now there are all these old school racers that are all against drift. And that is fine be against it. Groups like the SCCA are killing themselves because the powers at the top know they need the youth market but the average "Joe" member does not support it.

Is it a fad? of course it is but like the import/compact market it is a fad that is going to stay around. look at FWD drag racing they said the same about it and next year Pepsi has a 3 car team. It is a fad in the sense that for a few years it will be big then it will level off and the true hardcore guys will remain, just like import drag racing.

Now there are a few things that are hurting drift. First is that 90% of the new car market is FWD cars. Now drifting a FWD is possible but it requires more car set-up and refined driver technique.

Second is that there are not a lot of groups supporting sanctioned drift events. There is US Drift doing stuff nationaly and the 4AG events in CA. There is also a group in Hawaii called Drift Session. But there needs to be more.

Third. Punk ass ricer kids will hurt drift just like they hurt drag racing. Kids coming out thinking they are pros and hurting people on city streets.

I have road raced for the past 9 years, I have raced formula cars, road cars, autocross, you name it. I started drifting last year for fun and that is what drift is about more then anything else. I still love racing and it is a ton of fun but drift just ads a new level of fun and learning into the mix. I manage the US Drift Association and do the marketing for the National Auto Sport Association, I am a racer and a drifter and am proud to be both.

Check out
www.usdrift.com
www.drifting.com
www.driftermagazine.com

If anyone wants to see REAL drift action, the weekend coming up (Oct 3-5) we are doing a professional drift demo at the Grand Am race at VIR. You can download a coupon at US Drift.com

Originally posted by Apex Killer
I manage the US Drift Association
usda_cow.gif

FINALLY! Someone that knows all the info I did not! Thanx for the info :) And all that is true (not sure about him bein the US Drift Association Manager tho, but hey, he IS a new member). Its great to have someone that knows what hes talking about, rather than me going on information that I either read or was told by someone

I just hope they dont make a movie about drifting (think driftfast driftfurious) because that would be it.
Well, I read in some random magazine that they're already making Fast/Furious 3. And drifting is the new fad among the "Import 2nRs," so lets make an educated guess here.....

Do it in a controled place, I hate these people who do it on the main road.

Originally posted by 240Z freak
Well, I read in some random magazine that they're already making Fast/Furious 3. And drifting is the new fad among the "Import 2nRs," so lets make an educated guess here.....

OH DEAR GOD NO........

How can you drift a front wheel drive car??? And why would you do it on public roads??? Drift is nice to see sometimes, by a professional driver, on a closed circuit. But the average Joe should not be "drifting" or even thinking about drifting his car on the streets.

Originally posted by T13R
How can you drift a front wheel drive car??? And why would you do it on public roads??? Drift is nice to see sometimes, by a professional driver, on a closed circuit. But the average Joe should not be "drifting" or even thinking about drifting his car on the streets.

Yes, this is possible, but you can only do it for a short distance, unless your used to doing it and mapped it out to your driving style. Since you have no power going to your rear wheels, you have to use the e-brake. What you do is get up a pretty good amout of speed (depends on how far you are trying to go) and then you can either pull the e-brake and turn, or you can feint then pull the e-break (the feint/e-brake combo works well for doing 180s) but you are pretty much draggin the rear end of the car around with the front wheels. Pretty simple, but ive never been able to do it more that 40 feet without either stalling out or regaining traction.

You NEVER drift on public roads, doesent matter if theres no traffic or not, DONT DO IT.

Holy cow MiXx, are you familiar with how to use the quote tags?

Put these: [ quote] Words you want to quote go here. [ /quote]

Just omit the spaces when doing it for real. That way you don't have to make another post just to quote someone.

Like this:

Now MiXx know's how to use quote tags.

Drifting a FF car can be done. There is a car in the D1 series this year that is FF. We have had 3 FF cars run with us this year and one of them took third at an event. Also we are building a FF drift car for HCI Magazine. It's a VW GTI, so far the results have not been great but the car is down on HP and it is not finished yet.

The thing with FF drift is you need to enter the corner with a TON of speed. Once you start the drift once you put the power down you will pull out of it. You also will have a hard time linking tight corners. It is very hard to carry the speed between corners if there is no straight to build more speed.

Hey Ret, good to see you here. I got forwarded this thread by one of our drivers and decided to register while the other site is down. And say a few other members here.

Apex Killer is who he says he is. I should know, I've worked with him. :)

And I've seen one of the FWD drift cars - a dark green Civic that just stunned everybody in attendance at BeaveRun early this year.

Originally posted by MiXx
Well ive been looking throught the threads, and ive seen a lot of people who are just hell bent on banning drifitng, as they say it is a waste of time, and others who think drifting is the greatest thing to hit the US as of now. Well, im just making this thread to hear everyones opinion on this.
Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you already answered this question? It seems to me that you've summed it up pretty well in the first post and there's not much point in going over it again.

Originally posted by MiXx
Yes, this is possible, but you can only do it for a short distance, unless your used to doing it and mapped it out to your driving style. Since you have no power going to your rear wheels, you have to use the e-brake. What you do is get up a pretty good amout of speed (depends on how far you are trying to go) and then you can either pull the e-brake and turn, or you can feint then pull the e-break (the feint/e-brake combo works well for doing 180s) but you are pretty much draggin the rear end of the car around with the front wheels. Pretty simple, but ive never been able to do it more that 40 feet without either stalling out or regaining traction.

You NEVER drift on public roads, doesent matter if theres no traffic or not, DONT DO IT.
Yes I know it can be done using the handbrake, even if I dont consider that drift... I wanted to know if they were able to do it without using the handbrake. :P Like shifting the weight of the rear by slightly turning left, and immediately turning right ( or vice versa ) to induce massive oversteer and let the rear end go sideways.

It can be done without the E-brake but it requires a lot of skill. It involves weight transfer. Throwing the car from one side to the other and then controling the slide with power and brake.

It makes it a lot easier to do if you have a proportion valve like race cars have. That way you can turn all the braking to the rear of the car. I just installed one on the GTI and it works great.

I do not suggest trying to drift a FF without E-brake until you REALLY know what you are doing.

The green Civic that KB mentioned drifted without the E-brake. I will try to find the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back