drifting tips

• Thread starter pushpopCS
  • 21 comments
As a relative beginner, I think you should pick up the premium S13 Silvia (Silvia K's Dia Selection (S13) '90), change the oil, slap on some comfort hard tires, disable ABS, and head into your own lounge to get a feel for how the car behaves in this state. Dial down the brake balance a little bit because the default differential won't make 5/5 easy, and maybe upgrade the clutch to make up for the power deficiency. Learn braking points for tracks you're likely to gravitate towards and try to slide the car using its weight instead of horsepower. Get a feel for the car, and then buy the close-ratio 6-speed and mid-rpm turbo kit for a slight bump in the wheelspin. Finally you can look on here for tunes for that particular car, I used one and adjusted it slightly, and I really benefited from learning with the unmodified car.

Use this S13.

I personally ran 2.0 camber in the front and used 4 - 8 brake bias.
Experiment with a 5 - 60 - 60 diff as well, that's my personal preference over 60 - 60 - 60.

I run 4.2 camber on the front and between 1.5-2.2 on the rear.
Break bias 2-8 and Diff. 60 60 60.
Toe -0.15 and 1.00

These little tunes may/may not help.

viper gts, just get all the mods, transmission, clutch etc.. lower it all the way, 0 toe and 650 horsepower I started with this car and it felt amazing, helped alot too

As a relative beginner, I think you should pick up the premium S13 Silvia (Silvia K's Dia Selection (S13) '90), change the oil, slap on some comfort hard tires, disable ABS, and head into your own lounge to get a feel for how the car behaves in this state. Dial down the brake balance a little bit because the default differential won't make 5/5 easy, and maybe upgrade the clutch to make up for the power deficiency. Learn braking points for tracks you're likely to gravitate towards and try to slide the car using its weight instead of horsepower. Get a feel for the car, and then buy the close-ratio 6-speed and mid-rpm turbo kit for a slight bump in the wheelspin. Finally you can look on here for tunes for that particular car, I used one and adjusted it slightly, and I really benefited from learning with the unmodified car.

Dude! You are my hero!

I saw this post when i was at work, i already wanted to learn how to drift a few days, so i rushed home after my shift and fired up my PS3, this is the result 30 min later:

9443883277_b29072e3bb.jpg

9446668496_bc6221a4e5.jpg

Last edited:
Try a Stock Miata NA it's best way to learn the basics of drifting. If your getting better upgrade it and start tandems they're fun little cars 👍

Well he got his own tuning shop so Í'm sure he knows anything about it. :dopey:

More power won't make you better, trust me. I was in the beginner stage at on point, using a low hp car like a S13 will help you learn car control better than a Viper. But whenever you sure you're ready, move up on hp.

i prefer using between 300-500hp cars,

Yep, that's about the 'standard' power level that most people run; I think the highest I've gone was 541 BHP because it was a heavier chassis.

Everyone has a preference on what they think is the best car to start with. Ask me and i would say start with an FC. Its all about preference and opinion. However, starting with a low HP car will be better practice. Starting stock will give you a good feel for what mods need to be done and what suspension bits need tuning. My suggestion is to start stock, do a few runs, replace the flywheel and clutch. do a few laps, then, depending on the car, either suspension, or power adder. Always replace one part at a time and test. Once you move on the the suspension, tune one portion, then test. This will do two things, bring you knowledge of how each component effects the cars handling, and if you messed someting up and the car behaves horribly, you know what change caused that.
As with most things in life, the best peice of advise, practice! Patience and pratice. Its amazing how little of the first people want to do and how little of the second they have.
Some more food for thought. A controller in my experience makes it easier to drift then a wheel like the g27. Good drifting lines are not the same as good racing lines. expect entry speeds to be lower for a drift then for racing. Go into a public drift lobby and watch the good drifters, and the bad. This will help vizualize what a good drift looks like, as well as a bad one, and illustrate what good technique looks like. But the most important thing about drifting, is having fun!

With drifting I use a high end, racing G37.

Comfort hard tires.
Brakes: 2/5
Suspension-
Ride hight:all the way down.
Spring rate:7.5/8.0
Dampers Ext. 6/6
Dampers Comp. 6/6
Anti roll bars:3/3
Camber: 0.0/0.0
Toe angle:-0.10/0.20
LSD-
10/40/20

Fully upgraded turbo.
Fully customizable transmission.
Fully upgraded exhaust. Racing exhaust.
Fully upgraded intake.
Fully upgraded engine.
Fully upgraded body/chassis.

Now use no driving assists.
As you come tires spinning out of a turn change gears as the rpms go up.
Have fun with plenty of practice.

F1 Racer

Last edited:
With drifting I use a high end, racing G37.

Comfort hard tires.
Brakes: 2/5
Suspension-
Ride hight:all the way down.
Spring rate:7.5/8.0
Dampers Ext. 6/6
Dampers Comp. 6/6
Anti roll bars:3/3
Camber: 0.0/0.0
Toe angle:-0.10/0.20
LSD-
10/40/20

Fully upgraded turbo.
Fully customizable transmission.
Fully upgraded exhaust. Racing exhaust.
Fully upgraded intake.
Fully upgraded engine.
Fully upgraded body/chassis.

Now use no driving assists.
As you come tires spinning out of a turn change gears as the rpms go up.
Have fun with plenty of practice.

F1 Racer

Isn't that the pure power way just like PushpopCS and his viper?

Actually I don't thinks so because, the viper is more torque. And is uncontrollable
The G37 is more controllable around a corner and isn't as rigid. With the viper you have to work perfectly on the throttle to keep the drift. The G37 keeps it for you. Lets just say it doesn't have a snappy feel when you try to change directions. Everybody has different tastes. Some people like smooth, rough, or fast,or slow.

The car to use is tricky. Everyone will tell you something different and in the end you have to just try them all and see what works best.

Back