Drifting Tires.

• Thread starter GreazyTee
  • 92 comments
Hard to say currently. We can still use CH at least for drift missiles but the new tyre model makes the tyres very prone to understeer. Then again, most of the tyres are like this now.

Most comfortable with Comfort Hards, not enough power in my current car to be able to get a proper drift going with mediums.

So far after getting use to GT6 odd physic's & doing some test with different tyres i have found that GT6's CM tyre compound feels really nice to drift with to the point i can get grip while sliding & i found that i wasn't able to with GT6's CH tyre compound.

well that's my 2 cents on this also it would be nice if some one who is good drifting on a wheel also tried CM tyre's out as im still getting use to the wheel on GT.

Hard to say currently. We can still use CH at least for drift missiles but the new tyre model makes the tyres very prone to understeer. Then again, most of the tyres are like this now.
What tires did you say you are putting on MY car? :D

Im leaning towards Soft Hard tyres. I can cope with learning how to drift on the CH tyres but what I cant put up with is the tyre screech. I and a lot of people I know, use headphones, and rely quite a lot on listening to the sound of the car. At the moment I'm drifting a celica xx, and its fine on the SH, almost a little underpowered with 450pp, but I also haven't done a trans adjustment yet. Personally I believe the SH are more compared to the GT5 CH.
Ive had a bit more of a go now on CH and they seem alright. It can be a little tricky getting the car set up though. Once the cars are set up properly they handle fine. Although I've worked out the throttle response is quite twitchy, resulting in the car spinning out easily. I for example am running an 88 supra turbo A on 340hp @ 1200kg and find it much easier than when it was on 500 hp.

Last edited:
Man, tyres are going to divide drifters more than in GT5 :lol:

Drift Missile
What tires did you say you are putting on MY car? :D

CH would suit you well but we could give you some CM and CS tyres as well :lol:

Last edited:
Honestly, I've found using Sports mediums in the back, and Sports hard in the front to help me keep my car in control and sideways. A lot different than what I would have used in GT5.

i wouldnt mind going going with CM, but they way i tune people are going to complain about speed.

I'm with Ninja here, Once everyone figures out what works for them there will be a major speed difference. I have tested CH,CM, and CS. CH with the right suspension setup is the golden ticket.

I used to drive comfort softs in GT5 as I always thought CH was way too slippery and unrealistic.
In GT6 I started off with CH but yesterday I tried some new setups and switched to comfort softs again. You need quiet a bit power to keep it going with CS now but I think it's way more exciting than with CH

i play with a G25 with clutch
I didn't try drifting CM or CS yet, only CH so far
there's a very strange feeling and it's hard to describe: sometimes they grip better and sometimes they grip less :S
i found it difficult to get a smooth relaxed drift, wide angle and speed to link the next corner
but i couldn't play more than a few hours yet...
things might get better with a fine tuning and some practice

I've had about 4 days drifting on GT6 with CH and I'm liking them more than when I started. After you start negating the snapback and get use to how to put the power down, they feel a lot better. I reckon CH should stay the norm like it has in GT5. Comp cars could be different though and use CM or CS, depends what the community thinks

I've had about 4 days drifting on GT6 with CH and I'm liking them more than when I started. After you start negating the snapback and get use to how to put the power down, they feel a lot better. I reckon CH should stay the norm like it has in GT5. Comp cars could be different though and use CM or CS, depends what the community thinks

that snapback is happening from you abruptly letting off the throttle while you are countersteering

that snapback is happening from you abruptly letting off the throttle while you are countersteering
True. It's because of how I use to drive in GT5. I'm too use to how the tyres will still slide when off throttle in GT5. That habit is decreasing in GT6 though

True. It's because of how I use to drive in GT5. I'm too use to how the tyres will still slide when off throttle in GT5. That habit is decreasing in GT6 though
Devin (@BayouSimDrifter ) and I did some extreme testing last night. With a properly setup suspension the off throttle snap is greatly demished. And with fine tuning it will be completely gone. Ask us how we know.:eek:

I've always hated that everyone was on CH, would really like to see more people on CS or at least CM, much more exciting to watch when you get it right! Also noticed that cambered sections on tracks are a little easier with the CS since you can carry more momentum and it won't screw you over ;)

I agree with setups making a lot of difference!

Problem is with the right setup you carrying so much speed on CM's that you have to hit the brakes or you will go flying off the track. @haubi pm the info for a car you'd like to test and I'll send you a base setup that you can fine tune and you will see what I mean..

Devin (@BayouSimDrifter ) and I did some extreme testing last night. With a properly setup suspension the off throttle snap is greatly demished. And with fine tuning it will be completely gone. Ask us how we know.:eek:
Ok.. uh, how do you know then?

I've always hated that everyone was on CH, would really like to see more people on CS or at least CM, much more exciting to watch when you get it right! Also noticed that cambered sections on tracks are a little easier with the CS since you can carry more momentum and it won't screw you over ;)

How much hp do your cars have (in GT6) when drifting CS? I'm just curious.

Ok.. uh, how do you know then?

How much hp do your cars have (in GT6) when drifting CS? I'm just curious.

I spent the time testing.

I have 2 cars currently on CH that will keep up with CM's very easily and may even stay close to CS's

The big thing with GT5 was I think CH provided the greatest challenge for drifters so that was key with sticking with it. It is 100x easier and fast to drift with CS but if its easy what is the fun in that?

Back