Drifting Tires.

• Thread starter GreazyTee
  • 92 comments
I spent the time testing.

I have 2 cars currently on CH that will keep up with CM's very easily and may even stay close to CS's
Ha ha ha?

Haven't drifted with any CS or CM guys yet and haven't been working on much of a speed/comp drifter because I just haven't been working on one so I can't say much about that. I believe you though, the right tune would make a car fly for sure (Formula D has demonstrated that well) and possibly help it keep up with CM drifters.

I have to disagree, I tried CH in GT5 online a few times and actually thought it was less of a challenge! Sure it was easier to spin out especially when the setup wasn't adjusted. It was much easier to hold a lot of angle and make up for mistakes. Especially when twinning with someone I found it much much easier on CH. (As I said I only tried this several times playing online)

I have to disagree, I tried CH in GT5 online a few times and actually thought it was less of a challenge! Sure it was easier to spin out especially when the setup wasn't adjusted. It was much easier to hold a lot of angle and make up for mistakes. Especially when twinning with someone I found it much much easier on CH. (As I said I only tried this several times playing online)
Then you were in a under powered/over powered car with a horrible setup. I know my camaro on CH will pull on vettes and vipers like its nothing.. Setup and tuning is everything. With the right amoun of understeer tuned in the suspension you never have to lift off the throttle.

sure but still why would you then slap on the worst tires? That's not what people do in the real world :D
As I said, for me it was always more exciting with CS maybe just different taste ;)
CH in GT6 seem to have a lot more grip than GT5 CH though so maybe I'll try CH again

You probably felt it was easier because the tyres are more predictable in that they transition from sliding to normal gripping in a far more gradual way compared to CM or CS. This is probably the best reason I can give to why everyone uses them

I've just always been confused about slapping on bad tires for drifting. I did play a lot of LFS a few years ago and there it was the same thing, everyone did stupid burnouts before drifting to get the tire-temperature up to a level where they didn't grip at all.
Then they went off, linking banked corners and what not in 4th and 5th Gear with a 200hp car. It's supposed to be a simulation... ?

@fastfox400 tried your setup, it's good! Try the same setup with CS, stiffer springs in the rear and a lil more power. There is no way you will ever be as fast with CH. I know it's not necesseraly a speed competition, but having more grip just makes you flick it in so much snappier and harder, I don't quiet get the sensation with CH :D

It's very dependent on the chassis you're using as well. The Boss 302, I feel, has quiet a lot of grip from the start and CS can be very difficult (at least for me). I've been using an Toyota Aristo with CS today and it has much less grip than the Mustang

Please note I'm not saying CH sucks, I just try to understand the choice and state my opinion on the matter ;)

I've just always been confused about slapping on bad tires for drifting. I did play a lot of LFS a few years ago and there it was the same thing, everyone did stupid burnouts before drifting to get the tire-temperature up to a level where they didn't grip at all.
Then they went off, linking banked corners and what not in 4th and 5th Gear with a 200hp car. It's supposed to be a simulation... ?

@fastfox400 tried your setup, it's good! Try the same setup with CS, stiffer springs in the rear and a lil more power. There is no way you will ever be as fast with CH. I know it's not necesseraly a speed competition, but having more grip just makes you flick it in so much snappier and harder, I don't quiet get the sensation with CH :D

It's very dependent on the chassis you're using as well. The Boss 302, I feel, has quiet a lot of grip from the start and CS can be very difficult (at least for me). I've been using an Toyota Aristo with CS today and it has much less grip than the Mustang

Please note I'm not saying CH sucks, I just try to understand the choice and state my opinion on the matter ;)
Lol being a player of LFS since the old days of the S1e nothing was more infuriating than seeing tons of dumbass doing these burnouts against a wall.

Sports hard for missiles and Sport Medium for anything else.

Comforts went out the window the second I tried GT5 let alone 6.

note this is with DFGT*

Sports hard for missiles and Sport Medium for anything else.

Comforts went out the window the second I tried GT5 let alone 6.

note this is with DFGT*
The main issue with Sports tires is how unrealistic they are for power differences. If you took a S13 (aka what most call a "missile") and put sports tires on it, it is impossible to be smooth let alone drift a whole track.

got around Tsukuba in a stock 86 Levin on Sport hard with just a diff.
I believe that is around 120 ps ? maybe a little more

EDIT * I don't touch comforts now especially because 1: the Delam sound they make is so realistic and reminiscent of **** tyres letting go it is scary, and 2: they last half a second before they are 100000 ˚ and unusable

GT5 I was as smooth as silk on SM and SH, GT6 it has taken some getting used to and more throttle control, but it is getting easier.

With what kind of angle?
Low powered cars just don't drift at all with such tires unless you pull the ebrake on every corner.

I got about as much angle as a stock 25 + year old car gets e.g not much however I cs'd every corner in one go except the last sweeper.

got around Tsukuba in a stock 86 Levin on Sport hard with just a diff.
I believe that is around 120 ps ? maybe a little more

EDIT * I don't touch comforts now especially because 1: the Delam sound they make is so realistic and reminiscent of **** tyres letting go it is scary, and 2: they last half a second before they are 100000 ˚ and unusable

GT5 I was as smooth as silk on SM and SH, GT6 it has taken some getting used to and more throttle control, but it is getting easier.

Smooth as silk on Sports. Quit fooling yourself. Have fun with your sports tires. I dont believe your linking anything under power. Hell a stock FRS with CS will barely get sideways. Your not going to fool anyone.

Smooth as silk on Sports. Quit fooling yourself. Have fun with your sports tires. I dont believe your linking anything under power. Hell a stock FRS with CS will barely get sideways. Your not going to fool anyone.

correct, smooth as silk on sports (on GT5). I'm pretty average on GT6 on sports at the moment, grip levels are snappier and more realistic which forces you to be easier on gas and use more modulation.

I'll have lots of fun on sports tyres, trying to drift on the equivalent of space savers is painful and slow. Couldn't be assed doing it on 5, can't do it on 6 either.

I got about as much angle as a stock 25 + year old car gets e.g not much however I cs'd every corner in one go except the last sweeper.
There is no way you can be smooth and drift the whole track with those tires.
By drift the whole track meaning- angle (while being smooth), manji the straightaways, hold the drift while maintaining a solid speed, ect.

I know it can't be done. I have some friends that drifted on sports tires (which I don't judge them for doing so by the way), they could not do all of those things which matter in drifting.

But like I said before many times, I can care less what you drift. I could care less if you drifted a AWD, FF, MR, RR, FR, race car, or even a X1 as long as you can control it. That's why so many people loved my lobbies in GT5.

I never restricted anything, as long as you are in control of your car I don't care, but once you start hitting people or talking down to someone that is different, you can get yourself out of my room or I will assist you out.

Drifting is a art, no one paints the same. Why make stupid regulations anyway. I used to drift a RE Amemiya GT300 car in the beginning of GT5 because I enjoyed the sound. No one had a problem. Then one day I had to follow a regulation because for some reason everyone's views changed. News flash for GT6, no more regulations for me. If anyone on my friend's list has a problem with that, delete me now.

I never knew Sports tyres were lividly ignored / disliked lol. Imo sports tyres suit me perfectly and offer perfect amounts of grip for almost any thing. Once they are warm they behave in a predictable way and I hardly have the fronts over heat and induce unda unda. on GT5 I couldn't make CH or any C tyres work for the way I drift ( yes I have angle, consistency and can link corners and manji ) so I made Sports work. I could see them working on a controller however if I used one.

I never knew Sports tyres were lividly ignored / disliked lol. Imo sports tyres suit me perfectly and offer perfect amounts of grip for almost any thing. Once they are warm they behave in a predictable way and I hardly have the fronts over heat and induce unda unda. on GT5 I couldn't make CH or any C tyres work for the way I drift ( yes I have angle, consistency and can link corners and manji ) so I made Sports work. I could see them working on a controller however if I used one.
Do what you like bro... Have fun and enjoy it.

Read my post above. I edited it.

verossavr25, I would be very interested in your setups? I'm always open to trying something new especially when it's about new set-ups?

Same for CH, if anyone can get me excited about CH I will gladly use them haha

verossavr25, I would be very interested in your setups? I'm always open to trying something new especially when it's about new set-ups?

Same for CH, if anyone can get me excited about CH I will gladly use them haha

fastfox is the one who convinced me to tune a boss 302. im willing to share a tune with you if you would like. Most of my cars tunes are based off of real people i know in the car scene

What's the tire advice for the coffe drift challenge 1? And what abs settings? I'm using the dualshock 3 with automatic transmission.

What's the tire advice for the coffe drift challenge 1? And what abs settings? I'm using the dualshock 3 with automatic transmission.

Tip: Never drift on automatic transmission.

You're not getting the full potential out of your engine when you're hitting the limiter constantly.

you can do the challenge on CS, it's probably easier on CM and CH, though.

Yesterday I switched to CM on some cars (Rx-7). For me it seems like GT5 on CS so far. In GT6 it seems you need a lot of power for the soft tires.

Tip: Never drift on automatic transmission.

You're not getting the full potential out of your engine when you're hitting the limiter constantly.
As i have always driven with automatic transmission in games, I think it will be a bit hard for me to adjust to manual and then start drifting with it.

you can do the challenge on CS, it's probably easier on CM and CH, though.

Yesterday I switched to CM on some cars (Rx-7). For me it seems like GT5 on CS so far. In GT6 it seems you need a lot of power for the soft tires.

So for the car provided with the challenge, you prefer Comfort Medium over Comfort Hard?

The S15 feels best on CH since it feels very similar to the handling of GT5. Make sure you use manual as well.

The S15 feels best on CH since it feels very similar to the handling of GT5. Make sure you use manual as well.

Thanks. So in order to get gold on the drift challenge I need to learn how to drive with manual transmission? Seems like a lot of effort for 1 challenge :(

I'm used to manual transmission in real life, but then I don't drive as fast as possible, for games I always used automatic.

Back