DRIVE THIS CAR!!! Random Car Challenge

• Thread starter t.o.
  • 270 comments
Hey guys while we wait for FM4 lets have some fun with FM3. I'll (or anyone for that matter) can throw out a car and/or scenario as a challenge for the rest of us. We can then post our times/opinions/rebuttals about it.

I was racing the Trans Am 02 and it's a challenge trying to plant the power coming out of a turn efficiently. The view from cockpit reminds me exactly of the older Trans Am which is a bit lower and more cockpit than you would think. I drove in older cars but it almost seems the same. Here's a vid of me overtaking the AI (hard). Drive it around with all assists off and cockpit view.

2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Wheel Times
zr1chris . . . . . 1.08:942- Camino Viejo de Montserrat Circuit Reverse

t.o. . . . . . . . . 1:09:206- Camino Viejo de Montserrat Circuit Reverse

JJ72 . . . . . 1:08.800- Camino Viejo de Montserrat Circuit Reverse

KreepnSlayer B . . . . . 1:09.549- Camino Viejo de Montserrat Circuit Reverse

Controller Times

RJS . . . . . 1.08.954- Camino Viejo de Montserrat Circuit Reverse

saidur_ali . . . . . 1:08.359- Camino Viejo de Montserrat Circuit Reverse

HELLAFLUSH240SX . . . . . "HIGH" 1:09- Camino Viejo de Montserrat Circuit Reverse

08' BMW M3 E92

Wheel Times
t.o. . . . . . . . . 2:03:650 - Mugello

zr1chris . . . . . 2:02.370 - Mugello

JJ72 . . . . . . . 2:01.791 - Mugello

Controller Times
II-zOoLoGy-II 2:06.893 - Mugello

Luminis . . . . .02:07.105 - Mugello

saidur_ali . . . . .02:01.545 - Mugello

Porsche Carrera GT - Times and Tracks

Wheel Times
Sele 1981 7:44.947

Bogie 19th 8:43:430 (FS WHL-MN) - Nurburgring

zr1chris ... 7:41:832 (FS HDV) - Nurburgring

JJ72 ..... 7:28.275 (FS WHL-C) - Nurburgring

Hotspitta . 07:44:900 - Nurburgring

t.o. ......... 07:43:413 (FS WHL-C) - Nurburgring

Controller Times
crispychicken49 7:44:482 (CN-ABS-C) - Nurburgring

saidur_ali .... 7:26.268 (FS/CN-C) - Nurburgring

Trans Am '02 - Times and Tracks

Wheel Times
zr1chris 9:31.892 (SS/WHL-C-HDV) Nurburgring
-.-.-.-.-.-.- 8:59:059 (FS/WHL-C-HDV) Nurburgring

t.o.------ 9:32:732 (SS/WHL-C) Nurburgring
-.-.-.-.-.-.- 9:06:961 (FS/WHL-C) - Nurburgring

331 LX 9:33:215 (SS/WHL) Nurburgring

Vaxxtx - 9:44.7 (SS) - Nurburgring
-.-.-.-.-.-.-9:20.3 (FS) Nurburgring

KreepnSlayer B . . . . . .9:02.173 (SS) Nurburgring
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-8:48.527 (FS)

GT5 Sceptic - 9:58.266 (SS) - Nurburgring

JJ72 8:49:435 (FS/WHL) Nurburgring

Controller Times
Luminis - 9:31.553 (SS/CN-C) - Nurburgring
-.-.-.-.-.-.-8:59.629 (FS/CN-C) - Nurburgring

saidur_ali 9:07.224 (SS/CN-C) Nurburgring
-.-.-.-.-.-.- 8:48.813 (FS/CN-C) - Nurburgring

Bogie 19th 10:18:513 (SS/CN/IR) Nurburgring

No control method mentioned

LEGEND: (SS)-Standing Start, (FS)-Flying Start, (CN) Controller User, (WHL)-Wheel User, (-C)-Clutch used, (HDV)-Hood View, (IR)- In-Race time
All times are assumed to be in Cockpit View, no tuning, with a wheel and clutch used and all assists off unless otherwise stated by codes.

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm taking the Trans Am '02 around Fujimi Kaido as I'm typing. Gotta say, though, I'm a bit tipsy, mildly annoyed by someome's posts in the FM vs. GT thread and deprived of sleep, so don't expect too much :lol:

1) You can't see a bloody thing out of the wind screen, at least not on a tight and windy track like Fujimi Kaido.
2) It has [jezzavoice]POOOOWWWWAAAAAR[/jezzavoice], but seems so friggin' slow through the corners...
3) It feels relatively good, though. The handling seems better than I would've expected.
4) Brakes seem decent.
5) Engine Sound is nice.
6) Looks are awful (totally not my cup of tea).
7) Easier to control once it goes sideways than I thought.
8) Still gotta be careful to avoid power-oversteer on corner exit.
9) Suspension seems a bit soft.
10) Dumb car/track combination on my part, and I'm so not in the condition to drive Fujiimi Kaido :lol:

Great thread, by the way!

Don't let that guy get to you Luminis. He gets on almost everyones nerves in this section.

Last edited:
You had to do this when Im about to go away for the weekend. :ouch:

I love the Trans Am but I hate Ladera.
LOL, sorry man. Hey get a quick few laps on something before you hit the road and put in a few real miles ;)
Believe it or not it's almost kinda at home on Ladera. I was expecting a nightmare.

Okay, so I'm taking the Trans Am '02 around Fujimi Kaido as I'm typing. Gotta say, though, I'm a bit tipsy, mildly annoyed by someome's posts in the FM vs. GT thread and deprived of sleep, so don't expect too much :lol:

1) You can't see a bloody thing out of the wind screen, at least not on a tight and windy track like Fujimi Kaido.
2) It has [jezzavoice]POOOOWWWWAAAAAR[/jezzavoice], but seems so friggin' slow through the corners...
3) It feels relatively good, though. The handling seems better than I would've expected.
4) Brakes seem decent.
5) Engine Sound is nice.
6) Looks are awful (totally not my cup of tea).
7) Easier to control once it goes sideways than I thought.
8) Still gotta be careful to avoid power-oversteer on corner exit.
9) Suspension seems a bit soft.
10) Dumb car/track combination on my part, and I'm so not in the condition to drive Fujiimi Kaido :lol:

Great thread, by the way!

Excellent observation man. Pretty much everything I feel with it. It feels more like a late 80's car than an 02 to be honest. I swear it feels like my pops old Buick or Olds. lol

Thanks, hope the thread picks up some steam.

So what, would you say this is sort of a "Post a car/track, we share our reviews/observations"? Because if so I'm definitely down, I'll check out the Trans Am in a sec

t.o.
LOL, sorry man. Hey get a quick few laps on something before you hit the road and put in a few real miles ;)
Believe it or not it's almost kinda at home on Ladera. I was expecting a nightmare.
Too late man. Already gone. I left straight from work. What about giving that TA a real workout and take it to..... the Ring? Id like to see what that will do. Your running it stock right?

I owned a 98 Z28 for a couple years which is almost the same car. It been about 10 years since I owned her so id love to get myself reaquanted.

So what, would you say this is sort of a "Post a car/track, we share our reviews/observations"? Because if so I'm definitely down, I'll check out the Trans Am in a sec
Pretty much. You can even lay down a challenge or two if you want. Do X track in Y time with Z car or what have you.

Waiting for that observation.

Too late man. Already gone. I left straight from work. What about giving that TA a real workout and take it to..... the Ring? Id like to see what that will do. Your running it stock right?

I owned a 98 Z28 for a couple years which is almost the same car. It been about 10 years since I owned her so id love to get myself reaquanted.

Yeah, I think to get the whole gist of it we should keep the cars stock. Get the whole flavor/stink whichever it should be. lol
We could also run some tuned/upgrades too but guys have to be willing to share their tune with the rest of us so we too can enjoy/curse.

I will definitely take it to the Ring and post some thoughts.
Nobody else wants to get down?

zr1chris

I had a black 98 SS. I feel your pain. :'( I miss that car more than anything else I have owned.

So, I took the '02 Trans Am to the Ring. Managed a 9:31.553 from a standing start during the first lap. On the second lap, a flying start this time, I managed a 9:09.138. Messed a corner up, though, because the controller went dead and I forgot about the rewind feature until well after the lap was over :lol:

Anyways, here are my impressions:
1) The visibility seemed to be more of a problem than on Fujimi Kaido, even. I took a whole lot of corners blind or semi-blind and missed a few apexes here and there due to that.
2) The car gets very floaty 'n boaty at higher speeds, which wasn't that noticible on Kaido. On the 'Ring, though, it makes it pretty tough to get it through some of the fast corner combinations.
3) While the brakes are good and it handles somewhat okay, the suspension is so incredibly soft that, combined with the floaty feel, it was pretty hard to tell what was actually going on. The car didn't give me much confidence to actually push it, so I was pretty careful even throughout the second lap.
4) The power was much, much more useful on the 'Ring than on Kaido, felt more like the car/track combination was decent, this time.
5) I couldn't tap into the car's potential. There is a lot of it, in my opinion - if one was to either get used to the numb suspension or to change it and, more importantly, drove the car from the bumper can or hood view..
6) During replays, it looks like the car's being driven by a midget :odd:

In summary: Nice engine, nice brakes, mediocre transmission, horrible suspension for a track car, visiblity kills it.

Last edited:
So, I took the '02 Trans Am to the Ring. Managed a 9:31.553 from a standing start during the first lap. On the second lap, a flying start this time, I managed a 9:09.138. Messed a corner up, though, because the controller went dead and I forgot about the rewind feature until well after the lap was over :lol:

Anyways, here are my impressions:
1) The visibility seemed to be more of a problem than on Fujimi Kaido, even. I took a whole lot of corners blind or semi-blind and missed a few apexes here and there due to that.
2) The car gets very floaty 'n boaty at higher speeds, which wasn't that noticible on Kaido. On the 'Ring, though, it makes it pretty tough to get it through some of the fast corner combinations.
3) While the brakes are good and it handles somewhat okay, the suspension is so incredibly soft that, combined with the floaty feel, it was pretty hard to tell what was actually going on. The car didn't give me much confidence to actually push it, so I was pretty careful even throughout the second lap.
4) The power was much, much more useful on the 'Ring than on Kaido, felt more like the car/track combination was decent, this time.
5) I couldn't tap into the car's potential. There is a lot of it, in my opinion - if one was to either get used to the numb suspension or to change it and, more importantly, drove the car from the bumper can or hood view..
6) During replays, it looks like the car's being driven by a midget :odd:

In summary: Nice engine, nice brakes, mediocre transmission, horrible suspension for a track car, visiblity kills it.
DAMMITT!!! I knew I should have put my review up last night instead of waiting till now. You nailed every point I had. The only thing I could add is better tires I assume will be able to let you get some more of that power to the road getting out of the apex. Or maybe stiff x-mission. At least you didn't steal my joke. I was going to start my review "Well after one lap on the Ring in the Trans Am the ticket guy congratulates me and hands me a license for 'Proficiency in Boating'"

I could only get the one lap in last night as it was too late for another go. Your time sounds pretty close to mine (actually looks better) I did make one mistake though and this car is nowhere near as forgiving as others. When you set sail, uh I mean turn into corners you better have it planned and charted a week ago.

I was using the Fanatec Wheel and the car wasn't giving much back in terms of feedback either. It gave enough to keep me from fishtailing left and right but not much else.

Again like Lum said you better know or have a VERY good grasp of the Ring before you use this car in cockpit view. If not you wont make it. Point blank. There are more than enough times where you see nothing but trees and sky with you left there trying to guess where the road is or using your photographic memory to figure out where you last were on the track and hope you're lined up when you did get a glimpse of the road again.

In other words , great stuff. Just wouldn't want to race against other cars like this unless we all had the same ride and view restriction.

I am going to try this now I guess. Have not driven more than 1/4 of the cars in the FM3 yet.

I am going to try this now I guess. Have not driven more than 1/4 of the cars in the FM3 yet.

Didn't you just get the game? If you driven that many cars this quick then damn. lol. Yeah give it a try if you want.

Didn't you just get the game? If you driven that many cars this quick then damn. lol. Yeah give it a try if you want.

In Free Play I have driven quite a few. I am at level 31 or 32 I think. Just started the R3 races in season play. And just sold 2 livery/paint schemes off my storefront for the first time this morning!!! Whoot.

Ok so took the stock '02 TA to the ring, no tuning. Managed a 9:44.7 first lap, 9:20.3 second lap.

I pretty much agree with everything Lumi said. All assists off and in Cockpitview, even with the FOV changed to be wider there were some hills that you have no vision of the road at all. I kept wanting to to pick my head up, like that would help :P. I got 4 tires in the grass twice on boh laps due to not being able to see.

It IS boaty but it seems that makes it easier to "float" through some corners at higher speeds. I dont mind the softer feeling actually. I caught the back slipping one time. Can punch it at the end of a corner without much worry.

Braking is awesome. I only locked the brakes once due to visiblity...corner came up real quick. Other than that no complaints about braking.

Do love the sound. Higher end seems to take longer to get up to speed though.

I guess same as everyone elses observations. Fun car all in all. If I could find a big book for my driver to sit on, it would be great.

Good to hear you guys have taken this thing to the Ring. I will get on it as soon as I get back in town.

I had a black 98 SS. I feel your pain. :'( I miss that car more than anything else I have owned.

Nice! 👍 There is actually a couple black LS1 SS's that just popped up for sale in my area but I didn't have a chance to stop in and take a peak.

Was yours a manual or auto? Mine was a manual. What I miss most was pulling away in 1st casually then shifting into 2nd and dumping the clutch and burning rubber for a couple hundred feet. :D I miss those days. :(

I don't usually race cockpit, so the Nurb felt a lot more claustrophobic than it does 3rd person. I got the Trans Am around in 9:58.266 on the first lap. The Nurb bores me a little so I didn't do a second.

I didn't find it overly boaty and only had a couple of wild power-over moments. I agree about the camera view though, off a couple of crests it seems your nose is pointing in the air and you're driving blind with regards to the topography.

A fun car from that view, for me. I did try it briefly in 3rd person afterwards and it does slide a lot more than I sensed from within the car.

I pretty much agree with everything Lumi said. All assists off and in Cockpitview, even with the FOV changed to be wider there were some hills that you have no vision of the road at all. I kept wanting to to pick my head up, like that would help :P. I got 4 tires in the grass twice on boh laps due to not being able to see.
Embarrassingly enough I actually did do it once and quickly said to myself "WTF are you doing? It's a game, that's not gonna to help at all"

Anyone got a car they want to throw out there let's have it. If not I think I got one that's interesting to drive. I'll post it up in a few.

Audi RS6 (2009) with the V12 TDI swap. I'm not a diesel fan, but it's quite a fun transplant.

You nailed every point I had.
I pretty much agree with everything Lumi said.
Great minds think alike, eh, guys? :cheers:
Embarrassingly enough I actually did do it once and quickly said to myself "WTF are you doing? It's a game, that's not gonna to help at all"
Yeah, me too. I was so desperate to get a better view of the road ahead... :lol:

Anyways, as I am diggind Twin Ring Motegi lately, how about the Infiniti G37 on that course?

I'll get my Xbox 360 out of the box :sly: and give this a go. This thread makes a nice change in this section as most of the threads seem be just discussing how good or bad the game is and information on the new one coming out, not much to do with playing.

I'll be using my different version of the game ;) so will be interesting to see if my lap times are slower or faster than what has been posted so far. Logic suggests I should be faster as I got the too grippy version :P.

Audi RS6 (2009) with the V12 TDI swap. I'm not a diesel fan, but it's quite a fun transplant.

Great minds think alike, eh, guys? :cheers:

Yeah, me too. I was so desperate to get a better view of the road ahead... :lol:

Anyways, as I am diggind Twin Ring Motegi lately, how about the Infiniti G37 on that course?

Well the Audi RS6 with the V12 TDI Swap is it then. That's the next ride up folks. We'll give people time to get some Trans Am time in but we can start messing with the Audi now. So no other upgrades just the engine swap right?

zr1chris you're going to have some catching up to do if we start flying through these rides.

I think I'll edit the first post with those who have tried and lap times. Guys, I'd also like to have control methods you used (wheel vs pad) not a big deal at all but just a little extra info for the sake of it.

zr1chris you're going to have some catching up to do if we start flying through these rides.

I think I'll edit the first post with those who have tried and lap times. Guys, I'd also like to have control methods you used (wheel vs pad) not a big deal at all but just a little extra info for the sake of it.

No problem. I need to break in my new Turbo S anyway. :D

Good idea on keeping the OP updated. It will be easier to keep track of what everyone is doing.

Last edited:
I updated the first post with cars and results. Hopefully we can keep this running for a while.
You updated Vaxxtx second lap wrong, otherwise Luminis has someone who is identical on pace on the second lap :sly:.

Have you done a time yet? I might set the Xbox up in the next hour and see how I go.

Dang, gotta earn some credits before swapping doing a lap with the RS6. Nice choice, though.

Maybe we could share some tuned cars in the future and see how that goes ;)

I just did a quick run, strange using a clutch button. Anyway first lap was a 9:19.056 and second lap was a 9:02:751 . I guess this car can do sub 8:40 around the ring with my limited experience. You have to really learn to drive again in Forza, not much throttle control required, just go full throttle more or less everywhere, very easy to drive the car and gets a bit boring as it feels like there is not enough grunt in the top end of the gears. Lack of speed is shown in the lap time though.

Anyways, used the 'Ring as my test track for the V12 TDI RS6. First lap, standing start: 8:27.091. Second lap, flying stat: 8:08.008 (nice, isn't it? :lol:).

1) This car is fast. It's not accelerating, there's just a huge amount of torgue making the world behind you go away.
2) It's also very heavy. You'd better get your foot on the brakes early and hard. The car will be approaching corners at insane speeds and, while the brakes aren't bad, the weight will cause it to keep moving.
3) This goes hand in hand with point two: The RS6 displays a nasty tendency to understeer under braking, so you've gotta get your speed down before the corner.
4) Despite its weight, it handles decentlyy well, aside from the understeery nature. It's usually pretty planted and doesn't make a fuss.
5) The AWD is absolutely neccesary in this. It'd burn rubber like a mad man otherwise.
6) It gets a bit wiggly at very high speeds at times, depending on your location on the track.
7) Top speed just under 200mp/h is just sick.
8) At 180.000 credits, it's pretty expensive :lol:

Anyways, I enjoyed it. Was a lot more fun than the Trans Am, in my opinion.

Oh, and saidur_ali , did you swap the V12TT TDI engine in?

Latest Posts

Back