DRIVE THIS CAR!!! Random Car Challenge

• Thread starter t.o.
  • 270 comments
I guess I could get below 9 minutes easily while using hood view or bumper cam...

My biggest issue with the 'Am is finding some confidence in the car, to know where to push it and where to keep my cool. Hood view and a bit experience could well equal a time in the mid to high 8:40s, but I doubt I'll have the patience to push the car that far... I just don't like it enough :lol: And I'm a die-hard cockpit user, too :dopey:

I usually use cockpit view and in the Trans Am, you can see still quite a lot and also see the dials fully unlike some cars in Forza 3.

What button do you use for clutch by the way? I find it awkward to use the LB button with the brake trigger just below so might try another button.

Last edited:
Compared to other cars (most other cars, in fact) I find the visibility to be pretty lacking...

I'm using the A button for the clutch, works pretty well as you can simultaneously press it and shift up/down with one single move of your thumb.

Compared to other cars (most other cars, in fact) I find the visibility to be pretty lacking...

I'm using the A button for the clutch, works pretty well as you can simultaneously press it and shift up/down with one single move of your thumb.

I find the visibility quite good but haven't driven that many cars in the game so your opinion should be better than mine on this.

Anyway tried using A button for clutch, first was driving worse but got better with the A button as it is less awkward. I did the individual sections of the Nurburgring before doing another two lap run.

First lap was a 9:07.224 and second lap was a 8:48.813. I think my initial prediction that the car could do a sub 8:40 time is correct as I didn't shift that well using the clutch button throughout the lap and the lap was far from perfect. I think a top Forza player should be able to do some time in the 8:30s, maybe even lower as it is a long track where you can make up a lot of time. I'm amazed how late you can brake with this car and the places where you can go flat. I think it is more to do with the physics engine making the car too easy to drive and too grippy.

Last edited:
I did the time with the RS6 that comes with the game out the box, not the DLC one though. I just realised it was the 2009 one that was picked.

I think something around 8:40 is possible with the car. I will give it another go to get used to using the clutch button and also driving in the game with no abs. I probably spent a lot less than 10 hours playing the game in total so I got a lot to learn.

Are you using ABS or any other assists? All times are assumed to be with no assists whatsoever, including ABS. The other issue is freeplay and damage. Everyone should be using damage on because there's a possibility that freeplay may have tires etc. at optimum whereas a straight run (usually a custom race with just yourself on the track) starts as if you're just getting the car to the track with cold tires, fuel weight etc. in full effect.

I find the visibility quite good but haven't driven that many cars in the game so your opinion should be better than mine on this.
Believe us, the visibility in this car is pretty rough at times. There are quite a few areas you're going into turns completely blind. Not many cars do this in the game.

Are you using ABS or any other assists? All times are assumed to be with no assists whatsoever, including ABS. The other issue is freeplay and damage. Everyone should be using damage on because there's a possibility that freeplay may have tires etc. at optimum whereas a straight run (usually a custom race with just yourself on the track) starts as if you're just getting the car to the track with cold tires, fuel weight etc. in full effect.

Believe us, the visibility in this car is pretty rough at times. There are quite a few areas you're going into turns completely blind. Not many cars do this in the game.

I'm playing with no assists in cockpit view. It is on expert setting which turns off all assists and makes you use the clutch. Is there damage option on free play hot lap mode, I only went as far as the settings for assists? Anyway I found no assists gives a huge advantage than with assists so I think with assists I would be slower.

Just ran a few laps before work and got a decent SS (standing start) time of 9:31.892 and then after a few laps on a flying start i hit this one.

fastlap903.jpg

I'm playing with no assists in cockpit view. It is on expert setting which turns off all assists and makes you use the clutch. Is there damage option on free play hot lap mode, I only went as far as the settings for assists? Anyway I found no assists gives a huge advantage than with assists so I think with assists I would be slower.

I notice you said you will give a try with cockpit and no abs which led me to believe you were using the ABS assist. Depends on the driver skill level of course but assists can help/hamper a driver.

Just ran a few laps before work and got a decent SS (standing start) time of 9:31.892 and then after a few laps on a flying start i hit this one.

fastlap903.jpg

Damn you guys are ripping the times apart.

I notice you said you will give a try with cockpit and no abs which led me to believe you were using the ABS assist. Depends on the driver skill level of course but assists can help/hamper a driver.

Damn you guys are ripping the times apart.

I did say getting used to clutch and no abs, main reason is because I rarely drive with these settings because I don't really play this game much at all. In this game though even if I'm rubbish with no abs or clutch it gives me a good advantage, I did a quick test and it allows me to brake later and clutch allows me to shift quicker even if I mess it up a bit. I'm surprised I'm quite far in the lead and I'm not yet at my maximum on this game. Only run a few laps, less than zr1chris too. Here is proof anyway but you should be able to shave at least 8 seconds off this time.

2w3dq8j.jpg

I would definitely be quicker using the paddle shifters but the proper way to drive this car is with the H-pattern shifter. It makes it a bit tougher to run a quick lap but its much more fun. :)

@t.o.
OP error
My 9:31 was a SS.

I would definitely be quicker using the paddle shifters but the proper way to drive this car is with the H-pattern shifter. It makes it a bit tougher to run a quick lap but its much more fun. :)
The clutch gives a large advantage. Try with the paddles and see if you are much quicker?

I noticed the shifter on the car literally says 'H' on top lol. It also has a manual graphic equalizer on the stereo. I've never seen one on a European car!

I may give it a shot. Great job on that 8:48 Ali. 👍

Thanks but I'm not proud with my 8:48 lap as I know there is probably at least 8 seconds to gain. I know I can do quite a bit better with a bit more experience but it gets quite boring because the car lacks power and the lap is long. Next car should be a supercar just for fun and it saves time too on a long track ;) if we are using the ring again that is.

t.o. will my times get updated for SS and FS?

Thanks but I'm not proud with my 8:48 lap as I know there is probably at least 8 seconds to gain. I know I can do quite a bit better with a bit more experience but it gets quite boring because the car lacks power and the lap is long. Next car should be a supercar just for fun and it saves time too on a long track ;) if we are using the ring again that is.

t.o. will my times get updated for SS and FS?

Im going to keep at it until I get a sub 9 minute time. Iv'e only run a total of about 10 laps so it should come within the next few laps. I'll be satisfied with that.

I say the next car should be in honor of Porsche.

Sorry for the double post.

Im going to keep at it until I get a sub 9 minute time. I'll be satisfied with that. I say the next car should be in honor of Porsche.

An experience you can't have on Forza 4 so a good choice, an area where FM3 will have future Forza games trumped until Porsche share the license to more game developers if the EA deal runs out.

OP updated. I think I got it all in. Let me know if anyone sees any mistakes.
Added new vid clip

Last edited:
You should keep this up after FM4 is released, sort of like the WRS.👍

Will give the combo a go tomorrow as it's my day off.

Will give the combo a go tomorrow as it's my day off.

If it gets to WRS levels then I stand no chance if a fast alien quick driver starts competing. Might have to drive this combo again if more people join and Luminis will probably beat my time anyway.

t.o., don't you take part in an online racing group, would be good if they join in too to add more competition.

I say the next car should be in honor of Porsche.
Sounds like a plan to me. I also have a Camaro tune that I might throw in the mix. It's not a perfect tune which is what makes it fun. An evolution tune sort of.

I figure everyone will be getting into the career but we can always throw up a car in FM4 also. No reason for the thread to die I guess.

t.o., don't you take part in an online racing group, would be good if they join in too to add more competition.
Yeah, it's a little slow right now, usually is just before the release of the next Forza title. (Our off season you can say, lol) But I know a few guys will definitely want to throw their times in the hat.

I grouped the times in "Wheel" and "Controller" so as to give people who use these different control methods an idea where they stand in comparison.

Yeah, it's a little slow right now, usually is just before the release of the next Forza title. (Our off season you can say, lol) But I know a few guys will definitely want to throw their times in the hat.

I grouped the times in "Wheel" and "Controller" so as to give people who use these different control methods an idea where they stand in comparison.

That sounds good, more the merrier.

I'm normally used to driving with a wheel on PS3 and PC but obviously my DFGT won't work on the 360 hence doing a controller time. I'm a bit rusty with the controls but will get there with the clutch button hopefully.

That sounds good, more the merrier.

I'm normally used to driving with a wheel on PS3 and PC but obviously my DFGT won't work on the 360 hence doing a controller time. I'm a bit rusty with the controls but will get there with the clutch button hopefully.

You should look into getting a wheel, I don't have to tell you that it just adds to the immersion factor. If we're going to waste time might as well waste time in style. ;)

You should look into getting a wheel, I don't have to tell you that it just adds to the immersion factor. If we're going to waste time might as well waste time in style. ;)

I was looking to get a Fanatec but the one I want is not 360 compatible. The hot swap one. The game physics leaves a lot to be desired, if it was awesome then I would definately invest but it feels like you are driving with SRF and active steering if I go by GT5 physics. I will try FM4 demo to see if it has improved much on the feel and realism. I might get a wheel for the 360 some time in the future, but I don't want to be paying for online for just one game especially if I don't play it much. rFactor 2, F1 2011 and GT series should do enough for my racing fix.

I was looking to get a Fanatec but the one I want is not 360 compatible. The hot swap one. The game physics leaves a lot to be desired, if it was awesome then I would definately invest but it feels like you are driving with SRF and active steering if I go by GT5 physics. I will try FM4 demo to see if it has improved much on the feel and realism. I might get a wheel for the 360 some time in the future, but I don't want to be paying for online for just one game especially if I don't play it much. rFactor 2, F1 2011 and GT series should do enough for my racing fix.

This is a "politic" free zone. Let's leave all of this OUT of this thread, thanks. This thread is about enjoyment/dissatisfaction with the CARS in relation to each other, not to the game's physics on a whole. Those who can't follow that or enjoy the purpose of the thread are politely asked not to participate.
The only response I have a wheel is any game that doesn't treat the wheel as a controller will/should give more enjoyment to the game. That was my reasoning for buying a wheel that works with all 3 platforms no matter how it turned out.

This is a "politic" free zone. Let's leave all of this OUT of this thread, thanks. This thread is about enjoyment/dissatisfaction with the CARS in relation to each other, not to the game's physics on a whole. Those who can't follow that or enjoy the purpose of the thread are politely asked not to participate.
The only response I have a wheel is any game that doesn't treat the wheel as a controller will/should give more enjoyment to the game. That was my reasoning for buying a wheel that works with all 3 platforms no matter how it turned out.

I just said that because that is how it feels. I will upload the replay even though it is a bit of a scruffy lap with telemtry if you like and you can see I am going flat out in some sections that I don't think should be possible but it just grips and the car sticks. I will stop with the "politics" though.

@ Ali.

In case your interested. The Fanatec CSR just came up for preorder. I just posted the info on the CSR wheel thread.

@ Ali.

In case your interested. The Fanatec CSR just came up for preorder. I just posted the info on the CSR wheel thread.

I prefer the ClubSport Wheel due to hot-swap but that will cost a fortune at the moment and I will worry more if someone uses it. I might get a G27 or the older Fanatecs (360 compatible) for the time being as I think the CS wheel is probably too good just to use on a computer desk, it is designed more for a rig.

Took me four laps, but I finally managed to get the 'Am around the Ring in less than nine minutes: 8:59.629.

fDqnl.jpg

I still made a few mistakes (notable ones through Adenauer Forst and Arenberg), but that's it, I set out to get it below nine minutes and I'm satisfied with that :lol:

I don't like the car enough to try and push harder.

LOL, OP updated. I think I got all the updates in. People let me know if I missed anything. I think I'll give it a shot in a few.

Back