Driveclub is the Most-Played PS4 Driving Title with Estimated 10.5 Million Players

physics is too unrealistic.
Physics were dumbed down (Sony ordered it in order to gather more people to buy and play the game since, still by then, sales weren't good enough) in that infamous November 2015 patch, little before bikes were added and when the online was eventually fixed, and physics was left in that status sadly, being way wayyy more forgiving than before in order to attract more casuals.

Before that ****ing patch and since day1 release the physics were amazing, and the differences in behaviour among cars were notoriously awesome. That patch I talk about also killed that, and since then many cars ended up behaving very similar.

And if that was not enough of a killing blow for the people like me who notice stuff like this regardless how subtle it may be, then they come and shut down the Studios.

It was Sony that killed Driveclub from the beginning. It was most obvious form the beginning given the status it was released.

Driveclub indeed is, and continues to be best ps4 racer since the ps4 release. And that's been a while already, because you know.., they are still very busy feeding the ****ing outdated dinosaur that Yamauchi is.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 795975

The front brakes are stronger than the rear's. It is not with every car the same though! I agree the game could use a few tweaks but if you activate the hardcore drivingmodel, the driving changes completely and also your brakingpoints, steeringinput, levels of grip etc etc.

Nice pic and rebuttal! I do see a few with rears lighting up though so wouldn't mind some form of tuning.
Interestingly I've only ever played the game on hardcore, having bought it post-release of that patch - I think maybe a large percentage of players dropped the game before trying that option, and shame as it's most excellent like that. Game will stay on my PS4 for it's life I'm sure... :)

Sorry I meant to say that you need to have unlocked a trophy for it to count in the creation of the video tat is used to then calculate the numbers.

That however is an aside, as its the exact same for every title, demos, copies borrowed from people, duplicate accounts, etc.
If you launch the game you will per part of the % showed in the trophy... so his stats uses anybody that launched the game even if not played any race.

If you launch the game you will per part of the % showed in the trophy... so his stats uses anybody that launched the game even if not played any race.
I just acknowledged that, so I have no idea why you are repeating it.

As I also said that applies to every title on that list, so the playing field is level and the point utterly moot.

Instead of quoting you all individually I'll respond wholly since you have similar points.

Don't be a joke and try to compare this to GTS. Driveclub was given away free. For those still wanting to compare thats $0. Let us know when GTS is given away as a free PS+ game.

GTS has become an international bestseller and it didn't need to be a free PS+ game to get impressive player numbers and sales.

For those who think SCE see DC as a success: DC is a dead franchise and the studio got shutdown. Enough with the spin. The game had a bad launch, mediocre sales and had to change to a F2P model to be saved.

Are the player numbers impressive? No. It's a free PS+ game.
Are the sales impressive? No. 2 million in 10 months is not impressive.

Could this lead to .... pointless talk, DC is a dead franchise and the studio behind it is no longer active.
Can't wait for GTS to hit the PS+ program in the years to come and you to try to spin it as a positive thing :) Like you've basically done for any game that you've talked bad about, that PD ended up doing the same :lol:

Just going to drop the price history for GT Sport since we're rewriting history and making out like GT Sport was a massive success at its launch price. In fact, it got reduced at pretty much the exact same pace as the 'failure' that is Driveclub despite being an established IP.
upload_2019-1-30_15-39-21.png

It took one month for GT Sport to plummet to budget prices. A year after launch, it could be found for £12.50 - a whopping 27.78% of its starter selling price.

Fact of the matter is most racing games see pretty large reductions during their lives - aside from Horizon which largely performs well. Let's not devalue other titles in the genre because your e-tinky winky can't stand big bad GTPlanet giving kudos to another racing game.

Fact of the matter is most racing games see pretty large reductions during their lives - aside from Horizon which largely performs well. Let's not devalue other titles in the genre because your e-tinky winky can't stand big bad GTPlanet giving kudos to another racing game.

I'm more or less surprised that he's actually going after Driveclub too, considering i've only known him for lying out his teeth about Forza, hah.

I'm more or less surprised that he's actually going after Driveclub too, considering i've only known him for lying out his teeth about Forza, hah.
Perhaps he should stick to trashing that because even the point about moving to a 'F2P' model is incredibly incorrect. the PS Plus version of the game was pretty much announced in tandem with the formal game's announcement. It was only because of delays it didn't emerge until way after the server meltdown.

Perhaps he should stick to trashing that because even the point about moving to a 'F2P' model is incredibly incorrect. the PS Plus version of the game was pretty much announced in tandem with the formal game's announcement. It was only because of delays it didn't emerge until way after the server meltdown.

Exactly. In fact, I'd be willing to wager the idea that the free demo didn't really do anything, but that's because they managed to make it somewhat of a success by word of mouth, and by the game both being good, and having an incredibly attractive and value packed season pass.

Adds : GT Sport introduced microtransactions into their game and keep car prizes artifically high just to sell those for real cash. Next to that they've been pumping out content every month for free to keep players with their game.

Their postlaunch support (PD) has been fantastic, I can't argue that but the reasons behind could be because of huge backlash (which I can't prove) they had internally. The disasterous sales and huge pricedrops of GT Sport don't rectify that DRIVECLUB bashing. You may or may not like it but it is being often refered to as the PGR for PS4 or spiritual successor of Metropolis Street Racer. That is pretty much a lot of credit when you get compared to those.

Last edited:
Adds : GT Sport introduced microtransactions into their game and keep car prizes artifically high just to sell those for real cash. Next to that they've been pumping at content every month for free to keep players with their game.

...said free content, if there wasn't any backlash for how little there was going for it at launch, would have been sold as DLC anyway. Plus, you know, more then 50% of the content in GT Sport's post release cycle has been rehashed and reworked content from GT6.

He knows even less about that game than he does this one. I'm pretty sure he's still thinks that the loot boxes in Forza cost money when he went on a ridiculous rant about that game and it's microtransactions(that it didn't even have, mind you), yet turns a blind eye as soon as PD actually put them in, even though he was adamant and made his complete and utter distaste for it known for any game that had them.

Regardless, what does it matter that DriveClub got a boost in players due to the free demo being out? It's a weird way to go about it since apparently the Demo/beta players for GTS have also apparently been counted into the stats that have been flying around.

...said free content, if there wasn't any backlash for how little there was going for it at launch, would have been sold as DLC anyway. Plus, you know, more then 50% of the content in GT Sport's post release cycle has been rehashed and reworked content from GT6.
Regardless if it's rehashed or not, that is still commendable.

Regardless if it's rehashed or not, that is still commendable.

I mean, sure, but ultimately as a player of the game, I would prefer if the content that I was getting, paid or not, was at least new to the series stuff. Which is why I like how Horizon 4 has (mostly) done it. Bring over stuff from the 360 era for free, and leave the majority of new stuff as paid DLC. It's a much different split then what GTS has offered.

I just acknowledged that, so I have no idea why you are repeating it.

As I also said that applies to every title on that list, so the playing field is level and the point utterly moot.
Every title in that list didn't have a free verion that shares the same trophies with the final version.

DriveClub stats are inflated due the free version.

Every title in that list didn't have a free verion that shares the same trophies with the final version.
No said otherwise.

No one said otherwise.

However unless you can show how many of these were unique to people who simply download it started it and then never bother playing it (for the limited period it was available) it's not likely to be a significant number. I mean what are you actually suggesting, that millions of PS+ members downloaded it, started it, and then never bothered having a single race?

No one has denied any of what you have said, but unless you are able to show the numbers that match the above, it remains a moot point.

But in the end, who cares? How is that being true or not affecting us in anyway?

I'm not sure why this even bothers anyone, really. Does a game doing well mean the game you prefer is in someway inferior?

Can't wait for GTS to hit the PS+ program in the years to come and you to try to spin it as a positive thing :) Like you've basically done for any game that you've talked bad about, that PD ended up doing the same :lol:
I'm not sure I like your odds on that one.
I don't think (stand to be corrected) that any GT has ever been offered for free on PS Plus.
With over 1200 cars in GT6, the odds of not seeing quite a few cars from that game (other than new 2017 or 2018 models) is obviously fairly high.

Anyway, the topic at hand, Driveclub.
Awesome game.
Looks spectacular.
Physics were fine to me. I play a game for what it is, and I enjoyed what Driveclub had to offer.
Heaps to do in the game.
Loved the Community stuff, and loved the Challenges.
I must have played it for a fair while as I have the Platinum, and I have very few of those.

Yep, the PS Plus release was a bit of a debacle.
Quite a few of my PSN friends had their backs up about the game waiting for their freebie.
And disappointingly didn't really give it much of a go once they got it.

No doubt it added a reasonable amount to the player stats.
But 1 million or 10 million players does't bother me.
I played it, and thought it was a great game.

Probably the most disappointing thing is that the odds of seeing a Driveclub 2 seem very slim. :(

The willful ignorance here is hilarious. Acting like a free version isn't going to hugely inflate player numbers

A playable demo of Driveclub was given away for four months,

Whose player numbers still count. You trying to spin 11 million as impressive when it includes free downloads.

I repeat never given away on PS+

There was a free edition that counts towards player numbers. Ain't hard.

Sony disagree with you on the sales,

Evidently not considering DC is dead and the studio got shutdown, but please continue pretending the game was a huge success lol

In which case GTS has far less impresive player numbers, oddly based on your logic no PS4 racing title has impressive player numbers.

No, because GTS player count does not include a free version. It's a paid game.

We are not talking about sales, but once again Sony disagree with you.

Why wouldn't you talk about sales when its the a clear point in DC being unsuccessful and stop repeating the same SCE disagree when their actions could not agree more.

If your only rebuttal is wishful thinking then I guess you really have no argument.

Just going to drop the price history for GT Sport since we're rewriting history and making out like GT Sport was a massive success at its launch price. In fact, it got reduced at pretty much the exact same pace as the 'failure' that is Driveclub despite being an established IP.
View attachment 796310

It took one month for GT Sport to plummet to budget prices. A year after launch, it could be found for £12.50 - a whopping 27.78% of its starter selling price.

You guys would fail basic business classes. Its basic math:

400,000 x $25 > 100,000 x $50

GTS sold a **** ton of copies at a lower price in such a volume that it outweighed many full price games. The difference is games like DC could not come close to such sales.

The willful ignorance here is hilarious. Acting like a free version isn't going to hugely inflate player numbers
Do you read? Because it seems like you don't read.

If your only rebuttal is wishful thinking then I guess you really have no argument.
:lol:

talk about willful ignorance.

Either way, that wasn't an argument. That was just pointing out how inconsistent you are at all times when talking about anything about GT or PD, and how you constantly sweep all the things you've labeled as bad practice against other games under the rug. If that's not willful ignorance than I'll be damned!

But still, go on again about how Forza Motorsport 7 has microtransactions. Or was that just wishful thinking on your part?

No, because GTS player count does not include a free version. It's a paid game.

The extraction has a status tag that 1 means GTS final game profile and 2 means Bea only... these Beta only never played the final game.

The game had 6.23m profiles in December 2018 so 6.34m in October only if included Beta profiles.

Below the full extraction on several dates.
UPDATED

Just to fast get the actual number of profiles:

Lastest profiles while I wrote: https://www.gran-turismo.com/br/gtsport/user/profile/8493029/overview

Profiles starts at 1000000 (it is the first profile): 8493029 - 1000000 = 7493029
Remove Beta Only profiles (my last Beta only count was Jan 15, 2019): 7493029 - 621204 = 6871825

6,871,825 profiles in GTS.
It doesn't?

400,000 x $25 > 100,000 x $50
These numbers mean what exactly?

GTS sold a **** ton of copies at a lower price in such a volume that it outweighed many full price games. The difference is games like DC could not come close to such sales.
Um.... duh? That's usually what happens when things sell at a fraction of a price of other games. Not sure how you're trying to argue that as a positive, but try to point that it's a negative toward DC for being on the PS+ Program for a bit. They both seem to be doing something in order to get more players faster.

Still, what does that matter? There's plenty of games that sell well without having to drop so low too. But who really cares about that, and why does it matter so much to you? I'm just actually wondering what was so bad to you about this game, that makes you go off on yet another tirade with anything that pulls in players like GTS does.

Last edited:
Acting like a free version isn't going to hugely inflate player numbers

Because it didn't. If anything, the fact that the game got good positive word of mouth after release, plus an incredibly value packed season pass can boost player numbers, which for Driveclub, it did. By the time the free version came out, said free demo for PS+ users basically made no dent in the player numbers. It was too late in the game's life for it to really matter, and it was a better deal just to buy the game and the season pass.

But of course, this is all a fool's errand when it comes to you. You'll continue to shift the goal posts and try to make GT out as this all-world killer. not content with bagging on Forza's sales numbers, now you're trying to shift to Driveclub.

So we call demo's versions now?

I repeat once again, it was a demo, it featured one location (India) and 12 cars. It did not feature any of the 'Tour' events that came with the original (as they required other locations) and would not work with any of the DLC.

To be blunt the GTS Beta was more fully featured than the DC PS+ demo.

Whose player numbers still count.
Lets take a closer look at those player number and see how they pan out shall we.

Now GTS has 6.6 million players and DC has 10.5 million players.

Taking a look at two common, basic use trophy's for each we get the following:

GTS: Run, Run, Run (Complete a daily workout) 65.7% = 4.34 million players obtained
DC: Level Up (Reach Driver Level 2) 67.7% = 7.11 million players obtained

So that's myth number one out of the way, that people downloaded the demo and didn't bother even giving it a go (I know not one of your claims, but I may as well be complete here.

So expending this massively to ensure that we are only looking at trophy's that you could get with a purchased copy each (and excluding the fact that both were actually given away free with console bundles). I'm also going to stack the odds in GTS' favour massively.

GTS: Master of Manners (watch the three videos needed to play Sport Mode): 35.7% = 2.37 million players obtained
DC: The Rookie Trophy (complete 15 races, ensuring that you win the gold for the final three): 20.3% = 2.13 million players obtained

So it would seem that even with the odds stacked massively in GTS' favour it only just surpasses DC in terms of players who obtained the trophy in question, and keep in mind that the DC trophy in question you don;t even need to obtain to move on, a broze or silver in the the last three races will do the job without obtaining the trophy. While in GTS you have to obtain this one in order to play what is arguably the core selling point of the title.

Another interesting one is that more players in DC obtained Driver Level 15 (while it could be done on the PS+ version its a fairly significant milestone and the numbers doing it this way would be absurdly small) than bothered to unlock Sport mode in GTS, and not by a small margin.

GTS: Master of Manners (watch the three videos needed to play Sport Mode): 35.7% = 2.37 million players obtained
DC: Driver Level 15 (obtain Driver Level 15): 24.3% = 2.55 million players obtained

So please do carry on (without evidence) that DC is mainly made up of people who downloaded a demo (and it was a demo) and never bought the full title, as once again Sony's own numbers do not seem to support your claim.

You trying to spin 11 million as impressive when it includes free downloads.
A rather bold claim to hang your hat on when GTS's player numbers drop from 6.6 million to 2.35 million when you look at people who play Sport Mode even once (actually not even that - those that can be bothered to get past at most 6 minutes of video).

Over 60% of GTS players simply didn't bother with the core of the game, regardless of if they paid for it or not.

its the clear point in DC being unsuccessful
I Measure success with one thing and that is consumer demand if people want your product then you did something right and in that case DC did while GTS .... (cough) in any case its simply stupid to expect Driveclub to sell better as a new IP in such competitive feild and this topic has gone far off its initial point which was that DC is one way or another the most played racing game on PS4.
(About players counts ) you guys should consider how many people play these games with more than one profiles (mostly GTS in this case) and how many registered players have stop playing the game/games.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back