Driveclub is the Most-Played PS4 Driving Title with Estimated 10.5 Million Players

GT5/6 servers were shutdown because Kaz doesn't want to expand the space used by his wine collection (see 1:21 below) ;)

Seriously though, considering how little people go on DC online, I wonder how many cents they save a day by shutting down the servers. The leaderboards take up space but even that is probably not a huge amount since it's basically just text and numbers data. Even Burnout Paradise on PS3 still has their servers up last I checked and that has a remaster released on current gen consoles (and this is EA we are talking about).

Driveclub still rules, I recently got the Platinum and the solo campaign stuff is fun with the challenges. You don't even have to win races in Forza Horizon anymore, it sucks.

The PS4 absolutely could use an arcade racing game alongside Gran Turismo. Driveclub 2 could have improved on the issues or Evolution could have done a Motorstorm. Sony messed up dumping this.

What pissed me off was how much good will and patience Sony showed towards GT/Polyphony but because Driveclub had a rocky start it was like one strike and you're out. We've got Gran Turismo and dont even need you attitude.

The way Evolution turned it around was extraordinary. They knocked it out the park with Driveclub in the end and got no thanks for it.

How could they stop the possibility of another Motorstorm? An iconic launch title for PS3. A Driveclub 2 would have been a potential system seller on PS5 given what they squeezed out a PS4.

I'll never forgive Sony for that one. Can't defend any of that business. Disgraceful business sense and complete failure to recognise obvious & in fact almost fully realised potential.

For the players my ar**hole!!

Last edited:
I have been the first to moan about somethings on Driveclub, usually the things I hate "drifting" which I have to do to get stars etc.
But all in all I will say now Driveclub is the best racing game ever for me and what makes it great for me is Sprints I love the global competition I love the weather change when I want it I love the fact I can vs my son and look forward to our times to see who has beaten who (he lives miles away) and trying again to better ourselves.
When my son isn't online I can compete globally and have managed quite a few global number 1s. would be a lot more if that Tnan person wasn't so good but fair play to them that's what makes the game great the challenge of other people.
For me Driveclub wipes the floor with GT Sport and the manufacturers could learn a great deal from it when producing future games.
I will be gutted when the servers go off to say the least.

I have been the first to moan about somethings on Driveclub, usually the things I hate "drifting" which I have to do to get stars etc.
But all in all I will say now Driveclub is the best racing game ever for me and what makes it great for me is Sprints I love the global competition I love the weather change when I want it I love the fact I can vs my son and look forward to our times to see who has beaten who (he lives miles away) and trying again to better ourselves.
When my son isn't online I can compete globally and have managed quite a few global number 1s. would be a lot more if that Tnan person wasn't so good but fair play to them that's what makes the game great the challenge of other people.
For me Driveclub wipes the floor with GT Sport and the manufacturers could learn a great deal from it when producing future games.
I will be gutted when the servers go off to say the least.

I'm in almost the same boat. I take turns with a pal using my wheel trying to beat each other's times and very importantly seeing how we fare against the rest of the world on the leaderboards. Switching off the servers will likely absolutely kill the game for us. Nothing else has came close to it in regards to it's appeal.

That they'd switch off the servers in a game still so widely played especially when the game was sold with such an online focus is an absolute outrage in my opinion.

I actually tweeted 3 separate Sony accounts to ask about a refund because of this. Not that I expect an answer from any of the c**ts!!

So the DriveClub servers are off and the game is dead. Who ever owns and decided to turn off the servers I prey the fleas of a thousand camels infest your sphincter.
I have nothing to play now as every other ps game just doesn't appeal to me. I have tried thousands and no not a single one interests me.
For sale PS4 2 Controllers VR Headset and I will chuck in GT Sport and a few VR games and all the other games I have about 20 in total all like new as I only played 19 of them once and didn't like them only Driveclub is used but useless now! £50 the lot.

I'm glad that the 5 club cars are still available. A shame though that all of the country stats are now gone. I can't see anymore how many races and kilometers I drove at any circuit.

So the DriveClub servers are off and the game is dead. Who ever owns and decided to turn off the servers I prey the fleas of a thousand camels infest your sphincter.
I have nothing to play now as every other ps game just doesn't appeal to me. I have tried thousands and no not a single one interests me.
For sale PS4 2 Controllers VR Headset and I will chuck in GT Sport and a few VR games and all the other games I have about 20 in total all like new as I only played 19 of them once and didn't like them only Driveclub is used but useless now! £50 the lot.
Same here. I have ps4 for Driveclub and Bloodborne only, as never liked the rest of the catalogiue, even to this day.

Driveclub is still very fun driving alone in those amazing stages, let alone with a wheel and hardcore mode, whjich was a surprise. I always played this game with a controller until they changed the normal handling in that infamous november '16 or '17 I don't recall patch, making the handling just too easy and with a lot less depth. However, little after hardcore was released and the game became "wheel friendly", making those lone runs across all the stages quite a good experience, specially at drifting.

My pastime on Driveclub was Sprints I loved them and had quite a few global number 1s along with Tnan who is very very good and also my son.
We cannot versus each other anymore sadly. I get bored to be honest just driving tracks after about 6 laps hence I went on the competition of sprints and looked forward to logging on and seeing if Tnan (usually had) or Fangio (usually had) beaten my times it gave me an urge to try and better them.
I was going to just sell off my ps but the wife had an idea and said why don't I give it to my youngest he is 6 so I have we downloaded a free game doing jigsaw puzzles and a free pinball game for him as he is still learning the buttons of the handset. So not all bad he is over the moon we have just got to convince him he can only use it when his days home school work is completed. lol
I am just hoping when PS5 hits the streets Driveclub is reborn if so I will purchase one if not then I won't.

Single player is still playable you know. Even without the official leaderboards, you can still try to beat yourself ;)

Sad fact is, any online part of a game will always have an expiry date. And since Evo Studios have been closed and all their employees are scattered between Codies and SMS, it's very unlikely we'll ever see the likes of it again.

I'm glad that the 5 club cars are still available. A shame though that all of the country stats are now gone. I can't see anymore how many races and kilometers I drove at any circuit.

I tested this a while ago, the club cars are still available for 24-48 hours after you lose connection to internet. Beyond that it gets locked :( Who knows maybe one day someone can jailbreak and unlock the cars offline permanently.

Regarding country stats, I thought they were gone too but if you go to your player profile (where you see all your accolades > pick the box to the left > go to locations) it still tracks them 👍

Seeing the blacked out boxes in the home menu has been a sad sight when playing the game post server shut down.

The online components of the game will be missed and it’s just not the same without them. While I very rarely raced online, the solo and club challenges was where I spent most of my time. Chasing the leaderboards was my jam.

DC certainly revived my love for more ”old-school” oriented arcade racing games and it’s such a shame that Evo never got to make a sequel. I understand that closing Evo and the servers were purely a business decision but I still can’t get over the ”What-ifs” had they continued to evolve their game engine for next-gen.

Also, considering the issues with licensing, I won’t hold my breath for DC being made backward compatible on the PS5.

Final stats on (31/3):
  • Driver Level : 100 (*40)
  • Global Driver Ranking : #12607
  • Club Level : 43
  • Club Ranking : #19505

I'm thinking of picking this up secondhand as I saw a cheap copy in a local electronics shop. With the online services stopped does this mean that the game won't be updated when I install this? It sucks about the DLC but i'd be happy just to be able to update the game.

Single player is still playable you know. Even without the official leaderboards, you can still try to beat yourself ;)

Sad fact is, any online part of a game will always have an expiry date. And since Evo Studios have been closed and all their employees are scattered between Codies and SMS, it's very unlikely we'll ever see the likes of it again.

I tested this a while ago, the club cars are still available for 24-48 hours after you lose connection to internet. Beyond that it gets locked :( Who knows maybe one day someone can jailbreak and unlock the cars offline permanently.

Regarding country stats, I thought they were gone too but if you go to your player profile (where you see all your accolades > pick the box to the left > go to locations) it still tracks them 👍

The club cars are still available for me. It appears that any restrictions on them were programmed to disappear once the servers went down.

The club cars are still available for me. It appears that any restrictions on them were programmed to disappear once the servers went down.

Interesting. I'd have to check later today if they are still available. The servers went down a day late here on the 2 Apr (not sure why, even accounting for timezone difference it should've been down on the 1st mid afternoon the latest), so today will mark the 48 hour cutoff point I tested before.

Interesting. I'd have to check later today if they are still available. The servers went down a day late here on the 2 Apr (not sure why, even accounting for timezone difference it should've been down on the 1st mid afternoon the latest), so today will mark the 48 hour cutoff point I tested before.
The Zonda R and the Bac Mono are still available for me - thankfully.

So I have a question as I bought this game and some of the DLC awhile back and never really thought too much about the shut down process but it would appear Driveclub is no longer on the Playstation store in Europe is there any way to access the DLC for download as I think I downloaded everything but it's been a long time since I played and there now seems no way to check this on the store or game tab for Driveclub.

Can the content I have installed be viewed any other way?

I suppose there was plenty of time but I never realised there was an article stating the content would no longer be on the store otherwise I'd have done this last year.

So I have a question as I bought this game and some of the DLC awhile back and never really thought too much about the shut down process but it would appear Driveclub is no longer on the Playstation store in Europe is there any way to access the DLC for download as I think I downloaded everything but it's been a long time since I played and there now seems no way to check this on the store or game tab for Driveclub.

Can the content I have installed be viewed any other way?

I suppose there was plenty of time but I never realised there was an article stating the content would no longer be on the store otherwise I'd have done this last year.

Use the library to see which DLCs you have bought/installed. You can also select the DRIVECLUB in the PS4 menu, click 3-4 times down and you should also see all the purchased content.

Anyone knows how the game actually updates if you buy a greatest hits version? I have difficulties finding out what is available and what not....

Since you can't buy the SP or separate DLC, I wonder how it works!

Last edited:
Whenever I fire up DriveClub every couple of months I'm in awe of just how much fun this game was - still is - and how good it looks.

I've been doing some Norway point-to-point races in storm and heavy rain, corner markers and UI turned off, hardcore handling (which certainly doesn't turn it into a sim but still a fun and very different feel from the base game), wheel (T150). It's a thrill that very few racing games - I can't think of any, with cars - have been able to match.
Awesome sense of speed, even in the mid classes, let alone the super and hyper cars; constant feeling of being right on the edge, gorgeous rain effect slamming into the wind screen - or almost blocking your helmet view in an openwheeler - while racing through twisty, beautiful landscapes.

I started to play this again yesterday and it's finally gotten under my skin. I always admired it before I got a PS4 for the way it looks, but when I eventually got it and set it to hardcore handling, it never felt very appealing to me.

I've set it back to the standard mode now and given up using the wheel in favour of just sitting back on the couch and admiring the nicely curated car and track list.

Now I finally appreciate the way it drives. There's a proper feeling of risk when approaching and entering turns, which is sorely lacking in so many games.

It's criminal Evolution was disbanded, because they had the basis of something genre-defining for sure.

VXR
I started to play this again yesterday and it's finally gotten under my skin. I always admired it before I got a PS4 for the way it looks, but when I eventually got it and set it to hardcore handling, it never felt very appealing to me.

I've set it back to the standard mode now and given up using the wheel in favour of just sitting back on the couch and admiring the nicely curated car and track list.

Now I finally appreciate the way it drives. There's a proper feeling of risk when approaching and entering turns, which is sorely lacking in so many games.

It's criminal Evolution was disbanded, because they had the basis of something genre-defining for sure.

Maybe the guys at Polyphony Digital weren't really happy that there was an in-house opponent? Anyway, for me GT and DC were two completely different games, so if that was the reason it would be pretty silly. It can work, just looking at Forza Motorsport series and Forza Horizon series.

We most likely won't get to know the reasons. Game had a very solid base. More content, support for PS4 Pro for the first game while working on the 2nd game with more club and online features, maybe even an open world though I'm a fan of these closed road circuits and Point to Point tracks and DRIVECLUB 2 could have been a system seller. You just have to be honest with the customers. That's all.

Biggest mistake Sony ever made was shutting down Evolution Studios and ending what should have been a system seller series for their consoles. The idea that GT was all they needed just didn't wash as it's a completely different sort of game. Plus a new Driveclub 2 could have been ready for PS5 launch. Now we'll have to wait years for Gran Turismo 7 with no exclusive next gen driving game to enjoy until then. Tw*ts

All we can hope for is the new Dirt game being a spiritual sequel in the meantime.

VXR

i like it a lot but it’s missing 3 things. Porsche, real world tracks, and better engine sounds for some of the cars. The Ferraris don’t sound like real Ferrari’s. Other than that it was cool. Hated the tracks though.

Crash Bandicoot 4 just happened. Skate 4 just happened. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater revival just happened. Star Wars Rogue Squadron revival just happened. Star Wars Episode I Racer just got dusted off from the vaults for Nintendo. A Persona game just got ported to PC. EA just came crawling back to Steam. Literally anything can happen in 2020 and beyond.

Having said that, here's my prediction. Sony delisted Driveclub to prepare a PS5 all-in packaged 4K remaster with additional VR support and ray tracing. Driveclub never got a PS4 Pro treatment, so there's a lot of potential for this to exist.

Having said that, here's my prediction. Sony delisted Driveclub to prepare a PS5 all-in packaged 4K remaster with additional VR support and ray tracing. Driveclub never got a PS4 Pro treatment, so there's a lot of potential for this to exist.

They probably delisted it for licensing reasons. I can’t see a PS5 remaster happening without anyone from Evolution Studio.

Let’s see how DiRT 5 will look like on PS5 to have a small look at what a Driveclub 2 could have been.

i like it a lot but it’s missing 3 things. Porsche, real world tracks, and better engine sounds for some of the cars. The Ferraris don’t sound like real Ferrari’s. Other than that it was cool. Hated the tracks though.

First person I've seen hating on the tracks. I thought that was a strong part of the game and they were well designed for its handling and with enough variety. I don't feel like arcade racers really need real world tracks myself either. Keep that for simulations I'd have said.

Nope can't see even a 4k remaster or anything else prospects wise. Sadly I think SONY have firmly closed the door on this title and series outside of the first and only epic entry.

Even sadder was seeing them close the door on Evolution. **** happens I suppose. Especially these days. Just annoying they'd made their best game since the first Motorstorm when they chose to do it.

Why had I never driven Japan in the heavy rain before?! :drool:

rsz_20200630_111735-01.png

Evolution created a masterpiece for the genre.

Well I finally figured out which DLC's I was missing but it seems I only didn't buy 4 of the packs one of which was the Finale DLC.

One thing Sony could have done to appease fans but I suspect with the studio closed it'll never happen but they could have released a Driveclub Finale Edition of the game for everyone to get the DLC content and the original game that way the game could do all the downloading when it installs and save us having to purchase packs/retain it on the store.

All in all this game really did have a lot of everything for me, I will never Platinum it now thanks to missing the online period but hey ho!

Back