Driveclub

• Thread starter Waheed
  • 9,286 comments
I also don't understand the hate for Arcade Racers, not everything can and should be a sim. I just really hope they won't add any boost crap.

I love arcade racers just as much as sims, they simply serve a different purpose.

In fact (and off topic) I was only yesterday playing RR4 as I still have my PS1 disc for it. It may look rubbish, but it still plays wonderfully.

As such Driveclub has got my interest in a big way.

I loved the intro cinematic to RR4, one of the best in any arcade game IMO. The gameplay was good as well of course/

And if its going to be arcadish, its going to do it with style lol. The teams idea is a new thing, good car sounds, a nice collection of new cars and the most important thing, not to be like NFS MW where you keep on roaming and searching for races, it may have this but as a game mode I hope

Looking good. :D

Is there any chance Evo and PD share their licences with each other? Like, having an Agera R in GT5 just to tease us about DriveClub? :drool: Just wishing.

BTW, I hope it isn't online only.

People shouldn't be so quick to make assumptions, it actually didn't look too Arcady to me! That's just my two cents though

My thinking is just the simple fact of ten years of thought and planning and development, why would you want to make an arcade racer, especially with THAT amount of detail!

Why not an Arcade Racer? Time or graphics aren't reasons to make a game arcade, or a simulation. Just look at Project Gotham Racing.

Yeah but you would think, to put that much time and effort into recreating the cars to perfection, why would you want to take away from that by not giving someone the chance to see their full potential?

Arcade driving physics really takes away from the feel of driving a car like that. Look at some of the need for speed games

Well, when I look at the old NfS games up to Hot Pursuit II on the PS2, I have to disagree.
Arcade doesn't mean that the cars have no feel.

I did mean a few of the later titles, I know where your coming from though. But I just think that they would want to be really true to life, and expand the detail from just the looks, into the feel of the cars. Arcade physics, they can feel different, but in the same way, they can feel quite the same.
Just personal preference but I would like to see them really nail it and make them feel real. Even if not pure simulation, just real!

Looking good. :D

Is there any chance Evo and PD share their licences with each other? Like, having an Agera R in GT5 just to tease us about DriveClub? :drool: Just wishing.

BTW, I hope it isn't online only.

Seeing as Sony is their shared publisher, I imagine so. Sony is the licensee in these matters, they have to be so that if PD were to be disbanded or Sony decided they weren't pulling their weight, Sony could give the Gran Turismo IP to someone else to develop with the licenses intact. So it's not too far fetched to assume that cars in one Sony-owned IP would be licensed for another, though of course it's up to the developer to use the license. It's also possible for the license to only extend to one game, I'm not a lawyer so this post is all speculation. And lies.

GT5 cars are not modelled on inside wheels. They used a black texture. Maybe you mean you like PD shaders, I can agree. But if we talk about 3d modelling, pCars, Assetto Corsa and Driveclub are superior because they model the whole car.

Except in GT5 the parts that are modeled and should move do, in these videos they don't like the brake rotors and the visible suspension.

Can our resident graphics experts tell if this is pre-rendered or not? The reflection of the car door on the body of the Venom GT makes me think it isn't.

They need the catch phrase "The real car door opening and closing simulator.".

Still, if I have a PS4 and this is the only racing game, it's an obvious purchase, if just to look at the Venom GT and other cars that are missing from GT.

Last edited:
Can our resident graphics experts tell if this is pre-rendered or not? The reflection of the car door on the body of the Venom GT makes me think it isn't.

I could be wrong, but I can't think of any way to tell if it's prerendered. The normal way would be spotting things that you know the hardware is incapable of rendering in real time, but because we have no real idea of what the hardware is capable of that's pretty much out.

Reflections can be prerendered just as easily as anything else.

Million dollars question: Customization and livery editor included?

@dbarrade: in modern racing games reflections are NOT prerendered. pCars, rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa. All real time reflections. What differs are the shaders. Shaders in a few words are "how the car reflect". Having better shaders doesn't mean having better 3d models.

I never understood the arcade style racer hate either.

Hell, when I was growing up one of the games I played at the arcade more then anything else was OutRun.

I also still to this day remember the first time as a kid I sat in the machine and played San Francisco Rush. Mind = Blown.

Arcade racers will always have a special place in my heart. I grew up with them.

I also agree with the sentiments people have about Sony having more than one racing franchise and to take the pressure off PD a little bit as well as offer something new/different from GT.

I could be wrong, but I can't think of any way to tell if it's prerendered. The normal way would be spotting things that you know the hardware is incapable of rendering in real time, but because we have no real idea of what the hardware is capable of that's pretty much out.

Reflections can be prerendered just as easily as anything else.

I think when the driver gets into the car is the best tell that it isn't prerendered. When the driver does the seatbelt up, you can see the belts moving slightly off to how the buckle is moving in the drivers hands. You don't see those issues in prerendered scenes

A very quick comparison

hvdw6u.png

iz9dnq.jpg

2vls75s.png

wc1it1.jpg

Last edited:
It's too early to compare, and again this might not be in game footage and not even the final product. But IF it is, then GT5 is looking great :D

Just read every comment in this thread up till this point, people dont hang about to make judgements on things these days do they? :lol:

I cant wait for PS4 and DriveClub, can only get better from here, in my opinion 👍

And perhaps I should be saying this in the PS4 thread, but as Im here now, does anyone know the *possible* release date for the PS4, and assumingly, this game?

And perhaps I should be saying this in the PS4 thread, but as Im here now, does anyone know the *possible* release date for the PS4, and assumingly, this game?
Some say it will be released close to Christmas holidays this year, but I have my doubts. In Europe anyway.

Can somebody put together a list of cars we've seen so far? I cant name most of them
Aston Martin Vanquish 2013 model
Bac Mono
Bentley
BMW M3 GTS
BMW M5
Hennessey Venom GT
Koenigsegg Agera R
Marrussia B2
Maserati Granturismo MC Stradale
Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG
Pagani Huayra
RUF CTR3 Clubsport

They said "Holiday 2013", so they clearly want to take advantage of Christmas sales. That means they'll be getting it out by November at the latest, December will be too late and they need enough time for kids to nag so incessantly for so long that the parents will pray for death if they don't get them a PS4 for Christmas. As for Europe, though, I guess it will be early 2014.

They said "Holiday 2013", so they clearly want to take advantage of Christmas sales. That means they'll be getting it out by November at the latest, December will be too late and they need enough time for kids to nag so incessantly for so long that the parents will pray for death if they don't get them a PS4 for Christmas. As for Europe, though, I guess it will be early 2014.

Sounds about right 👍

Just read every comment in this thread up till this point, people dont hang about to make judgements on things these days do they? :lol:

I cant wait for PS4 and DriveClub, can only get better from here, in my opinion :tup...
No they don't :) I think they're a tad upset by not seeing GT6 and there appears to be a strong pout element going on :sly:

I also don't get the comparison comments stating that pCars looks better - like it's fair to compare a PC title to a new console one...even if it is next-gen.

Drive Club graphics look fine to me. Think its a bit unfair to compare it to pcCars at the moment when we havent seen many DriveClub images in comparison. Cant wait to see how the tracks and weather looks like, as well as how "different times of year" affect all of that.

Besides, this is how PS3 racers looked at launch

ridge-racer-7-screenshot-_21.jpg

Back