Driveclubs fastest drivers!!

• Thread starter Mcpartyman
  • 78 comments
England
England
Mcpartyman
Some of you may have seen the recent rather excellent "Zeroes to Heroes" thread by Moto 54, which looked at what it takes to get a world record on an unfamiliar track in driveclub. Congratulations to Centura who achieved a new record time while most of us were sleeping last night!! Centura did it using chase cam and the DS4, I don't know yet if he used manual or auto gears but it got me thinking!!!!

Everyone has conspiracy type theories on how people achive fast times but I suspect it's mainly down to driver skill and little else. So I am trying to conduct a survey of sorts, which may yet prove me wrong. If you consider yourself to be one of driveclubs fastest drivers, what set up do you use?? Contrary to what Moto said about me on the last thread I am definitely not one of them but like most I want to get faster. So i will start this off by telling you my set up;

Chase camera
DS4 using the DC preset controls
Auto gears

This has served me well so far and changing will be a big learn, but it might be the only way to get faster. What set up do you use?

Cheers.

Honestly, I don't know if I would consider myself one of DCs fastest drivers. For example, I doubt I would ever get #1 on an Evolution Challenge.

Either way,

Chase camera
DS4 with default layout
Automatic

I use cockpit view, DS4 and automatic gears mostly but can drive manual with custom controls. If using steering wheel, I would use bonnet camera. I'm not the fastest but reasonably quick. Haven't played Driveclub in a while but may give a quick go at the event you mentioned.

How to be quick is like any other car racing game, maximising racing line.

I seem to be constantly winning online races while online, not sure if that makes me one of the fastest but my setup is as follows

Far Chase Cam
DS4
Automatic

I think it being an arcade racer it may be more balanced than other games when it comes to Wheel vs DS4 or Auto vs Manual

I am only fast in my own mind, but I cannot believe most of 'yall use the chase cam view!
Its shocking. On the other hand I drive my road car in real life by standing on the trunk, so
Im a fine one to talk.

Thrustmaster T500
Manual
Dash cam / hood, if I get serious

bonnet = hood
boot = trunk

btw: compare 2 cars of the same class for ULTIMATE speed. Its in the 'Aggregate blah,blah,blah'
thread. One is the McLaren 12, the other is hidden deep within the folds of Centuras gray matter.

I am only fast in my own mind, but I cannot believe most of 'yall use the chase cam view!
Its shocking. On the other hand I drive my road car in real life by standing on the trunk, so
Im a fine one to talk.

Thrustmaster T500
Manual
Dash cam / hood, if I get serious

bonnet = hood
boot = trunk

btw: compare 2 cars of the same class for ULTIMATE speed. Its in the 'Aggregate blah,blah,blah'
thread. One is the McLaren 12, the other is hidden deep within the folds of Centuras gray matter.
Haha, if I had a decent set up I would use a wheel, manual gears and bonnet cam for added realism. I would love one of those driving seats with all the bells knobs and whistles, one day!!! I tried the McLaren 12 this morning on Munnar, only time for about 5 goes but I bettered my time each go, starting at 3-30, ending at 3-20 which had me ranked about 80th, record was bloody 3-05!!

Haha, if I had a decent set up I would use a wheel, manual gears and bonnet cam for added realism. I would love one of those driving seats with all the bells knobs and whistles, one day!!! I tried the McLaren 12 this morning on Munnar, only time for about 5 goes but I bettered my time each go, starting at 3-30, ending at 3-20 which had me ranked about 80th, record was bloody 3-05!!

I'm about to post a 2nd split video. Check it out. You have a 3-10 in you by the weekend, no prob.

It sucks that we cant use our G27 wheels with the PS4, and it dawned on me I was dumb for
suggesting you guys use the DS4 by choice. PS4 wheels are expensive and its annoying.

Heres what my T500 looks like. With a cooling fan. It cools ME down as well. I just
noticed you can see G25 and G27 boxes off to the side. God, I am a nut arent I. I took the
cover off the 500 for looks. Fanatech's look really really good, but they are unreliable
junk in my experience. The 500 looks more muscular when you can see the belt and motor
and everything. Anyway the prices of wheels cant stay high forever, and I'm sure youll
get one. The PS4 and DC arent going anyplace. Theyll be waiting for you.

DSC00001.JPG

It sucks that we cant use our G27 wheels with the PS4, and it dawned on me I was dumb for
suggesting you guys use the DS4 by choice. PS4 wheels are expensive and its annoying.

Heres what my T500 looks like. With a cooling fan. It cools ME down as well. I just
noticed you can see G25 and G27 boxes off to the side. God, I am a nut arent I. I took the
cover off the 500 for looks. Fanatech's look really really good, but they are unreliable
junk in my experience. The 500 looks more muscular when you can see the belt and motor
and everything. Anyway the prices of wheels cant stay high forever, and I'm sure youll
get one. The PS4 and DC arent going anyplace. Theyll be waiting for you.

View attachment 398089
That looks beautiful!!! There are more coming through, I will get one soon!!!

I'm about to post a 2nd split video. Check it out. You have a 3-10 in you by the weekend, no prob.
FB_IMG_1435488378072.jpg

Good prediction Moto, got the 3-10 which leaves me 6th, 7th if your fastest was on here. Pretty sure I can still trim another 4 or 5 seconds but Ozzy's 3-02 may well be out of reach. Got 1-00 and 1-03 first two splits and I know I can get a 1-03 last one!!!! It's still only going to be 3-07 at best methinks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good prediction Moto, got the 3-10 which leaves me 6th, 7th if your fastest was on here. Pretty sure I can still trim another 4 or 5 seconds but Ozzy's 3-02 may well be out of reach. Got 1-00 and 1-03 first two splits and I know I can get a 1-03 last one!!!! It's still only going to be 3-07 at best methinks!!

Thats fantastic man, you saw a giant improvement. At Sinclair I never did come to terms with the
last sector. Do you have anything like that at Munnar? If you do, tell me exactly.

Thats fantastic man, you saw a giant improvement. At Sinclair I never did come to terms with the
last sector. Do you have anything like that at Munnar? If you do, tell me exactly.
The only issue I have is with the first left at the start of the 2nd split but your guide was useful saying not to treat it like a corner, turn early and flirt with danger!! Spot on. The rest of the lap I know what to do, it's just removing errors. I love the fast finish with all the left and rights you can virtually take at full pelt!!

I think I'm a decent driver (by no means am I the best). I win most of the online races as long as people don't 🤬 use me as a corner brake or drive like idiots. I have to agree with @Moto54 on the camera most of you guys use. I'm shocked that you can be successful with the chase camera. As for me, I use:

DS4 with slightly different controls
Hood cam
Manual transmission

I love the race tracks and been working on hitting the Global top 5 in Scotland BHR 02 ..in the wet!! for my own challenge with quite a few cars. I like to get the top scores as it is fun sliding round the apex's holding the slide with manual gears..I can never quite get to number 1..so any tips on the BHR tracks in the wet appreciated. I am a lot slower with the wheel on DC than PCars so for the hot laps I use:

Psn: wildbill1372

DS4 Manual gears (default set up)

Cockpit view (interior full )

I love the race tracks and been working on hitting the Global top 5 in Scotland BHR 02 ..in the wet!! for my own challenge with quite a few cars. I like to get the top scores as it is fun sliding round the apex's holding the slide with manual gears..I can never quite get to number 1..so any tips on the BHR tracks in the wet appreciated. I am a lot slower with the wheel on DC than PCars so for the hot laps I use:

Psn: wildbill1372

DS4 Manual gears (default set up)

Cockpit view (interior full )
Hi, I am not particularly keen on the BHR tracks as they are all fairly flat out speedfests! I did have a look for you and found you ranked about 3 in the Aston Zagato, not very far behind first place. I had a go and will upload my video, probably won't be a huge help as I use chase cam. Main thing with this course is the chicane at the start, I just restart if I don't get it right, and the right turn after the long uphill at the end which I never judge braking well for, as you will see in the video. But I was well ahead after the first 2 splits so still just held on for the number one. You are right it is quite good fun in the wet. Pretty sure you can get the number one there yourself, as I was 4 or 5 seconds off to start with, just a bit of perseverance!!

Thanks @Mcpartyman appreciated 👍 I have quite a few cars to try yet on this track I forgot I done the Zagato. I think that was for a challenge. I think I have only one No1 and a few No2's can't remember what cars now.

Do you take the chicane flat out/touch of brake/let off revs or drop a gear..I think as you say I am losing a few 10ths of a second there and at the last long corner..I think some is luck on a wet track too..I have so many challenges but get distracted and day dream with the excellent addictive photomode ;) I will Keep trying and post up if I get a No1 or beat you!! :cheers:

Thanks @Mcpartyman appreciated 👍 I have quite a few cars to try yet on this track I forgot I done the Zagato. I think that was for a challenge. I think I have only one No1 and a few No2's can't remember what cars now.

Do you take the chicane flat out/touch of brake/let off revs or drop a gear..I think as you say I am losing a few 10ths of a second there and at the last long corner..I think some is luck on a wet track too..I have so many challenges but get distracted and day dream with the excellent addictive photomode ;) I will Keep trying and post up if I get a No1 or beat you!! :cheers:
No brake, just come off throttle a second or so before the turn and cut the left hand side of the chicane, almost touching the grass. It goes wrong easily but as it's at the start of the lap it makes sense to just restart until you get it right. When you do you will fly past the leading ghost!!! Then the pressure sets in!!

I think I'm a good driver.. Have all Stars, Driverlevel 65 and always at the top(3) on my friedlist (maybe they're all noobs...lol). But im not really into time trial or competition in general. Don't like it to drive one track for more then one hour. Maybe if i do this i could be better.

I'm used to drive in chase cam because i need to see my car for full control. You see all your wheels, more of the track and the beautiful car itself ;)

DS4 DC preset
Auto Gears

Was there a message above that didn't come out ^^?;)

I had dropped to 4th position- I had loads of tries and now back at 3rd position. Less than 1 second behind you. I followed your shadow ghost most times by such a fraction and on one attempt I was ahead of you by 1 second all the way round! (until the last corner I missed a gear and took the corner wrong :banghead:) pressure was on!!..I will try again as I know I can beat my time.

I think perseverance is the word along with 'a little bit of luck' and no errors -none at all -full concentration of all sections. As it is a wet track one touch of the kerb, wrong gear can get you spinning easily.

I found on the first chicane by touching the brake once very lightly, dropping to 5th as I hit the brake take the chicane on the very far left entry and as far right on exit getting in line for the next hill corner you don't have to then touch 5th gear again for a good fast exit down hill to the sharp bend. This I found is quicker by dropping gears 4 3 2 (rather than hard braking) holding in 2nd tight round the full bend and exiting in 3rd gear full on, next 2 corners are just let go drop a gear if you feel you are touching kerb and the last corner I am working on dropping gears again rather than brake. Nearly there.

I still think there is another second in the time so keep an eye on the 1st position as I think a late 1.14s maybe possible.

👍

Last edited:
Was there a message above that didn't come out ^^?;)

I had dropped to 4th position- I had loads of tries and now back at 3rd position. Less than 1 second behind you. I followed your shadow ghost most times by such a fraction and on one attempt I was ahead of you by 1 second all the way round! (until the last corner I missed a gear and took the corner wrong :banghead:) pressure was on!!..I will try again as I know I can beat my time.

I think perseverance is the word along with 'a little bit of luck' and no errors -none at all -full concentration of all sections. As it is a wet track one touch of the kerb, wrong gear can get you spinning easily.

I found on the first chicane by touching the brake once very lightly, dropping to 5th as I hit the brake take the chicane on the very far left entry and as far right on exit getting in line for the next hill corner you don't have to then touch 5th gear again for a good fast exit down hill to the sharp bend. This I found is quicker by dropping gears 4 3 2 (rather than hard braking) holding in 2nd tight round the full bend and exiting in 3rd gear full on, next 2 corners are just let go drop a gear if you feel you are touching kerb and the last corner I am working on dropping gears again rather than brake. Nearly there.

I still think there is another second in the time so keep an eye on the 1st position as I think a late 1.14s maybe possible.

👍
I was trying to upload the video but if you are successfuly tracking my ghost maybe you won't need it!! I agree at least 1 second faster is possible. You can definitely beat my time if you keep at it. That Nismo challenge you sent was a tough nut to crack. You had a great start and finish, if you tidied up the middle you can gain a second there too!!

@Mcpartyman I thought I had sneaked in 2nd place in the Nismo challenge, I tried for an hour, you are too good :bowdown:..I am not sure who the other player is. (no1) He is quick.👍👍
I thought you had got first place. God only knows how Gasmatti is that fast!! He definitely had a flying lap because he flys past me at the start line but even then I have caught up with him only for him to power away from me on the long straights!! Normally you can see where you can get the time back but I need an extra turbo! You did bloody well getting it under 1.18 but 1.16 is ridiculous. I moved on to the one trying to beat death racer's 1.00 lap, that actually looks more achievable than Gazmatti's time!!!!

If I set my mind to it I can usually end in top 5% so I consider myself to be pretty decent. I use chase cam, manual gears and DS4. I did change the layout GT style, which means accelerating and braking with right stick and changing gears with shoulder buttons. Ive been doing that since NFS on the ps2 xD

@Mcpartyman I thought I had sneaked in 2nd place in the Nismo challenge, I tried for an hour, you are too good :bowdown:..I am not sure who the other player is. (no1) He is quick.👍👍
I had a good night tonight, hit 2 records I was after, the quickest with any car beating death racers one record and beat our friends time with the Nismo!! :-)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1437860142446.jpg
    FB_IMG_1437860142446.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 60
  • FB_IMG_1437860135260.jpg
    FB_IMG_1437860135260.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 59
I had a good night tonight, hit 2 records I was after, the quickest with any car beating death racers one record and beat our friends time with the Nismo!! :-)

^^^^ Wow...Well done very very impressive :eek:!!👍👍 You got under the 1.00!! and knocked another second off the Nismo! Which I thought was not possible. It proves times can be beaten again and again.. All I can say is :bowdown::bowdown:

..Looks like you pushed very hard on both, takes some dedication to hit the global top spot especially on a wet track. Do your fingers ache after all those attempts for tt, I was getting cramp but probably older than you :lol: One day I will get a number 1 ! I'm nearly there with your tips and help, I may try with the new dlc next week for a fresh start on a few different tracks. I am also enjoying India Tamil Nadu 01 lately in the wet but still analysing the best way to beat times as there are a few tricky corners in this track, so a work in progress for me and no where near the top spots yet :cheers:

^^^^ Wow...Well done very very impressive :eek:!!👍👍 You got under the 1.00!! and knocked another second off the Nismo! Which I thought was not possible. It proves times can be beaten again and again.. All I can say is :bowdown::bowdown:

..Looks like you pushed very hard on both, takes some dedication to hit the global top spot especially on a wet track. Do your fingers ache after all those attempts for tt, I was getting cramp but probably older than you :lol: One day I will get a number 1 ! I'm nearly there with your tips and help, I may try with the new dlc next week for a fresh start on a few different tracks. I am also enjoying India Tamil Nadu 01 lately in the wet but still analysing the best way to beat times as there are a few tricky corners in this track, so a work in progress for me and no where near the top spots yet :cheers:
Yes my fingers do ache and I too get cramp so I suspect I may have to take a day off today (I too am no spring chicken!)!! I have another tip for you too!! That should definitely improve your times!! Remember how I said the guy in first with the Nismo was pulling away from me on the straights. I discovered two things last night. People use the grass to slow up instread of breaking as it maintains momentum, only works if it's on the outside else it would be penalised as corner cutting, have a look at the video I put up on you tube. The other, and this is the biggie, I read on this forum a day or two back that someone discovered he got better acceleration using x, square, circle or triangle rather than the shoulder default keys and do you know what?? It makes a massive difference. I don't like it for feel but it's quicker, no doubt about it. I will guarantee you that's how that guy was pulling away from me. I have loads of courses where I am close to world records elsewhere and I think now I will probably beat them!!

Gratz! I've spent countless sessions chasing the Deathracer or Onehaaa2aa....Magnificent feeling if i do manage to top them,although i think i have to put in a lot more work to beat it,than they did to set it:)

OK,here's a question.
When playing multiplayer i can't be the only one who checks out the competition in the pre race lobby.I'm amazed how many guys I find who have 945/945 stars,it then comes to the race and they are absolutely awful.Do these guys buckle under the pressure of competition or is it that easy to get 945...?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK,here's a question.
When playing multiplayer i can't be the only one who checks out the competition in the pre race lobby.I'm amazed how many guys I find who have 945/945 stars,it then comes to the race and they are absolutely awful.Do these guys buckle under the pressure of competition or is it that easy to get 945...?
I think the stars and fame points are not a great guide to driving ability. You can get alot of this from just grinding, admittedly some stars are quite tricky, venom hot laps etc, but these are not competitive races. I would look at who is at the top of the various leaderboards as a better guide, albeit even there, you will find some, like me, who don't do much multiplayer. I just like chasing better times and eventually getting to the top. I haven't even finished the original tour and I have all the dlc, maybe one day I will chase stars myself!! Let me know any records you are chasing and I will have a go too as we can probably share tips. Cheers.

I think the stars and fame points are not a great guide to driving ability. You can get alot of this from just grinding, admittedly some stars are quite tricky, venom hot laps etc, but these are not competitive races. I would look at who is at the top of the various leaderboards as a better guide, albeit even there, you will find some, like me, who don't do much multiplayer. I just like chasing better times and eventually getting to the top. I haven't even finished the original tour and I have all the dlc, maybe one day I will chase stars myself!! Let me know any records you are chasing and I will have a go too as we can probably share tips. Cheers.
Will do,i tend to get fixated with one track and work through the cars from performance to hyper.I usually don't have the patience to stick with one for too long unless I get fairly close within a few laps,then i turn into a possessed man for lap after tormented lap! It's funny how some tracks i just don't 'get',the flow of it just never happens for me,for instance i love the point to point Japan track Goshodaira but the Scottish point to points I'm rubbish at.Maybe i just need to sink some serious time into them.

Back