Driveclubs fastest drivers!!

• Thread starter Mcpartyman
  • 78 comments
I mean my hotlaps are personally different. Instead i practice at two tracks through time trial and just see what i can do there:

I normally have a go at the incredibly simplistic yet anything-can-happen type of track that is Oliver's Landing, fairly STRAIGHTforward ( ;) ) but after it catches you off-guard with that ridiculous left hand hairpin after the long straight (Well depends what version you like doing best, i prefer the normal)

OR

I have a go at the very tricky and technical Munnar at India. Multiple elevations going up and down, especially weaving through that little section just after you complete the first sector. Very challenging and the good ol' blind corners thrown in for extra measure. Downhill braking, curvatures on one side of the track in some places.

Really good stuff for throwing off the competition and completely misjudging your speed or braking points.

Either way. I practice on these two tracks especially. Mainly because they're so different and trains my brain for the instances that occur on both tracks. Because they're bound to happen on more.

I've mentioned doing a Time Trial on Munnar with eb4tiky's ghost on there. It does panic you knowing that someone like that who handles the car so well and produces a quality time appears. However i got ahead of him by a good second on the first sector, he was JUST behind me on the second sector, and with my inexperience with the car on the track, i lose it on the third sector.

I think that's what counts too. Experience. This is why multiplayer gives me a favor in that department. I play it regularly and the tracks appear quite often. So i use the car i want, practice with it and use it again in Time Trial for a bit and THEN set my time. OR i just go in blind and give it a couple runs and see what i produce lol.

My Hotlaps occur when i'm comfortable with the setting after a few practice runs. I can easily push one out if i wanted to, providing that there aren't any big names in the list. If there are, it takes me more time and effort. Maybe produce the occasional record. P1 GTR on Salar de Surire [Reversed] took me a while because names like TRP_BUTTON and DJW_GT were there. What's even worse is that i was livestreaming with an audience at that time lol, constantly spewing out profanity.

Its cool to hear what you do, what you go through. I mentioned needing to have some compulsive
tendencies, but theres a whole world of attention to detail that we take in, and frankly, the
majority of guys dont (probably) come near that same level of attention to detail. And it happens
as we do it. Its not like we pause to 'memorize' certain things. If I care about a thing, I
naturally absorb it, and I care about being fast at certain places in Driveclub :)

Its cool to hear what you do, what you go through. I mentioned needing to have some compulsive
tendencies, but theres a whole world of attention to detail that we take in, and frankly, the
majority of guys dont (probably) come near that same level of attention to detail. And it happens
as we do it. Its not like we pause to 'memorize' certain things. If I care about a thing, I
naturally absorb it, and I care about being fast at certain places in Driveclub :)
Thanks guys this has been a very good educational read. You two (Ozzy and Moto) get into it far more technically than I do and that's why you are both so good. Practice makes perfect. I think my biggest learn since having the game was when we did the point to point contest at Munnar with the 12c and Mazzanti. I was nowhere near your times but I picked up from 3-30 to 3-20 fairly quickly and then eventually down to 3-10. I should have kept at it but I've rarely raced Munnar since but my times elsewhere have massively improved since then. Soon I will get an overall WR somewhere and to get those you have to beat the best and like Ozzy says, that's tough!!

Ok,so there's a 2 lap race challenge on at the moment around Kobago in the P1 gtr.Ozzy was top with a time just nudging under 3 mins with me about a second back.After many,many attempts coming up short in the 3.00's and 3.01's i finally found the secret!
One and a half bottles of German wheatbeer and 2 double espressos seems to be the perfect driving aid (this is a pixel-driving recommendation only btw).Hopefully my time stays top,otherwise i may have to double the dose(the beer,not the caffeine!) :cheers:

Ok,so there's a 2 lap race challenge on at the moment around Kobago in the P1 gtr.Ozzy was top with a time just nudging under 3 mins with me about a second back.After many,many attempts coming up short in the 3.00's and 3.01's i finally found the secret!
One and a half bottles of German wheatbeer and 2 double espressos seems to be the perfect driving aid (this is a pixel-driving recommendation only btw).Hopefully my time stays top,otherwise i may have to double the dose(the beer,not the caffeine!) :cheers:
Fantastic. I suspect small amounts of alcohol can be beneficial, I know my darts are better after a couple of pints to steady my arm!!

Going to have double that up then :) 👍

Going to have double that up then :) 👍
And as sure as the sun will rise,Ozzy crushes my hopes and dreams!
Yeah,i knew that was coming,decided to keep the same alcohol enhancement level tho,got it down to a 2.59.1,is that a good enough time to get into True Talent 8 ?

And as sure as the sun will rise,Ozzy crushes my hopes and dreams!
Yeah,i knew that was coming,decided to keep the same alcohol enhancement level tho,got it down to a 2.59.1,is that a good enough time to get into True Talent 8 ?
Depends if it'll get there :P I don't own the groups so i wouldn't know lol. Maybe though ;)

Some of you may have seen the recent rather excellent "Zeroes to Heroes" thread by Moto 54, which looked at what it takes to get a world record on an unfamiliar track in driveclub. Congratulations to Centura who achieved a new record time while most of us were sleeping last night!! Centura did it using chase cam and the DS4, I don't know yet if he used manual or auto gears but it got me thinking!!!!

Everyone has conspiracy type theories on how people achive fast times but I suspect it's mainly down to driver skill and little else. So I am trying to conduct a survey of sorts, which may yet prove me wrong. If you consider yourself to be one of driveclubs fastest drivers, what set up do you use?? Contrary to what Moto said about me on the last thread I am definitely not one of them but like most I want to get faster. So i will start this off by telling you my set up;

Chase camera
DS4 using the DC preset controls
Auto gears

This has served me well so far and changing will be a big learn, but it might be the only way to get faster. What set up do you use?

Cheers.

I play racing games since PS2 and in every game there are faster drivers. Driveclub is not a simulation game, so what kind of settings do you talking about? There is no difference between comptroller and steering wheel, I tried both and tiime is the same, manual or automatic gear does not change much, I believe is just a way to drive, how you get in the curves and how you get out, how you use brakes etc...

I play racing games since PS2 and in every game there are faster drivers. Driveclub is not a simulation game, so what kind of settings do you talking about? There is no difference between comptroller and steering wheel, I tried both and tiime is the same, manual or automatic gear does not change much, I believe is just a way to drive, how you get in the curves and how you get out, how you use brakes etc...
That's pretty much how it is. But it's arcade with simulator additions, could be a slight change in the handling model, physics model etc.

That's pretty much how it is. But it's arcade with simulator additions, could be a slight change in the handling model, physics model etc.
Indeed, mind you, I would like to have your hand to eye co-ordination!! See you posting some pretty quick sprint times along with TRP_Button!

Indeed, mind you, I would like to have your hand to eye co-ordination!! See you posting some pretty quick sprint times along with TRP_Button!
The concentration level is different because you're put in the middle of the track rather than racing from the beginning to end. So having a short track with 20-40 second runs requires more precision to get the fastest time possible. Trial and error also comes into play a lot more lol

The concentration level is different because you're put in the middle of the track rather than racing from the beginning to end. So having a short track with 20-40 second runs requires more precision to get the fastest time possible. Trial and error also comes into play a lot more lol
I know what you mean, I had about 20 attempts to get a 25.7 at Munnar, which put me third at the time. Then I had just had enough! I'm probably way down the Leaderboard now but it's not for me.

Ok,there's not been anything posted here for a while,so here's a thought.
Been doing quite a bit of Frasers(normal) recently and there's one guy who's top or near the top for most cars who blatently uses the right hander after the opening chicane as a time enhancing wall bounce.Oh the satisfaction in beating one of these guys is immense,much more than if it was a 'legit' record.But now here's the dilemma,if I'm running a hotlap and i come in too hot and smash the wall,i reset,regardless of the quality of the lap up til then.I have tho,on some laps just brushed the wall and carried on,using my own judgement that i gained no advantage.What are your self imposed boundaries for this?
Personally i wish Evolution would make this whole issue a non-entity and void a lap if you make any track limit contact.

That sounds like the GT5 and 6 dilemma too @bloodsugar6 as I seem to recall a pretty similar debate about TTs back then. I think you are correct in your assessment of when to reset or not. I similarly hate it when I reel in a better time due to an injudicious bit of speed and a bounce off the barrier, so I try far harder to wipe it out with a clean run so that I don't leave any incriminating evidence behind :)

There are quite a few out there who don't though, which I suppose will always happen and it does feel good to best them, you're absolutely right 👍

Ok,there's not been anything posted here for a while,so here's a thought.
Been doing quite a bit of Frasers(normal) recently and there's one guy who's top or near the top for most cars who blatently uses the right hander after the opening chicane as a time enhancing wall bounce.Oh the satisfaction in beating one of these guys is immense,much more than if it was a 'legit' record.But now here's the dilemma,if I'm running a hotlap and i come in too hot and smash the wall,i reset,regardless of the quality of the lap up til then.I have tho,on some laps just brushed the wall and carried on,using my own judgement that i gained no advantage.What are your self imposed boundaries for this?
Personally i wish Evolution would make this whole issue a non-entity and void a lap if you make any track limit contact.
There are alot who deliberately wall bounce, I've seen it on quite a few courses. Fact is while it can help get you a good time it won't get you the fastest times. I saw kie25 put up a video the other week where he beat one of these blatent cheats. Just makes it all the more fun when you beat them. Agree though that there should be a heftier penalty, sure Evo have already done something previously on this but clearly not enough.

There are alot who deliberately wall bounce, I've seen it on quite a few courses. Fact is while it can help get you a good time it won't get you the fastest times. I saw kie25 put up a video the other week where he beat one of these blatent cheats. Just makes it all the more fun when you beat them. Agree though that there should be a heftier penalty, sure Evo have already done something previously on this but clearly not enough.

How about upping the realism and swapping the bouncing for sinking?

Is there any difference in handling after say 2-3 laps, have they built in the game warmed tyres, the only reason I say is I am doing numerous laps on these elite challenges and always seem to get better handling/grip round the bends after the first lap or so-this could be psychological after doing so many :lol: As the first 'out/hotlap' does seem to not hold the car so well restarting again after a mess up. I know as an arcade/sim this probably is not the case but to me the cars handle better after a lap or two! Anyone else noticed any difference :boggled:

edit: Also agree if you cut the track or bounce off a barrier there should be a larger penalty say 3 seconds!

Is there any difference in handling after say 2-3 laps, have they built in the game warmed tyres, the only reason I say is I am doing numerous laps on these elite challenges and always seem to get better handling/grip round the bends after the first lap or so-this could be psychological after doing so many :lol: As the first 'out/hotlap' does seem to not hold the car so well restarting again after a mess up. I know as an arcade/sim this probably is not the case but to me the cars handle better after a lap or two! Anyone else noticed any difference :boggled:

edit: Also agree if you cut the track or bounce off a barrier there should be a larger penalty say 3 seconds!
And another irritant I have found, slowing down by going a little bit off road, it has totally put me off certain courses that let you get away with it. Have a look at the ghosts on one of the maplewood tracks, it's ridiculous.

Back