driver assists for ds3 users who need them

• Thread starter Karlgaming
  • 22 comments
Automatic because I have enough to deal with having to make do with the awful physics engine, Driving line on because Bathurst and Silverstone are my bogey tracks and I cant be bothered to keep turning it on and off, Active steering off, Traction Control depends on the car but usually off, ASM off, ABS 1 coz DS3, Skid Recovery on not by choice. Sensitivity -2 yet again coz DS3

What's a good starting point for brakes ? 70 front 30 back ?
This is very car specific.
I start out with 5-5 and adjust until I feel the car is balanced under braking.
If i get a lot of understeer i increase rear bias / decrease front bias and vice versa with oversteery cars.
FF cars usually end up with 4-6, 5-7, or 6-6.
FR cars get 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 7-4, 7-5 or even 7-6.
MR get anything from 5-1 to 6-1, 7-2, 7-3.

Extreme cases can have 7-1 or even 8-1 (Ruf BTR, CTR YB) while some are actually ok with 5-5.

I try to keep the values at 6 or lower for comfort tyres.
But like I said, every car has an ideal value, and it changes with spring rates, damper rates, LDS settings etc...

I would describe myself as average, at best. No false modesty. I have not yet used any drivers aids whatsoever, except for ABS1, traction control is set to 0, ect. So far Gold for everything I have completed, sometimes with many attempts. And that's without any car modifications, indeed I use the weakest prize vehicle I can possibly win with.
I accept that I may need Traction Control 5 later with the Formula 1 or Red Bull cars, but I will try without. Hopefully my skills will increase by then.
(Of course I use manual gears. No skid recovery or any of that nonsense.) I do want a wheel, but for now I really feel the differences between a F40, Lancia Stratos, or a GT-R.
Really happy. Just 1 thing missing. I wish the game included a MkII SEAT Leon 1.6s like I once had, so I could modify and race with it.

So far, and I am not that far along, I use ABS 1, TC 1 or off depending on the car, Best Line because I like it, all others off and controller sensitivity at +2. Most seem to be using -2 but I not having problem with +2.

All off apart from ABS 1.

Sensitivity on 0 (-2 too slow & +2 too much tyre scrub from oversteer)

Manual gearbox

Was having pretty bad issues keeping the car on track for the first couple of days, i even thought the game was broken with DS3,but once you master the physics which are far more advanced and deep than GT5, the game comes alive, the handling is exquisite.
GT5 you can just jump in and go fast virtually straight away, GT6 takes more skill and its much more rewarding when you finally "click" with the physics.

To the guys above:

I would take off driving line, the braking points are well off anyway and you will learn the track much faster without it,
TIP: use the blinking of the suggested gear for help with braking points if need be.

Also SRF & ASM really mess the handling/physics up, you will never get better using them and the cars just handle so unrealistically that you may as well be playing Mario Kart.

Trust me, when you start nailing the corners, braking points and using throttle control its euphoric!

All off apart from ABS 1.

Sensitivity on 0 (-2 too slow & +2 too much tyre scrub from oversteer)

Manual gearbox

Was having pretty bad issues keeping the car on track for the first couple of days, i even thought the game was broken with DS3,but once you master the physics which are far more advanced and deep than GT5, the game comes alive, the handling is exquisite.
GT5 you can just jump in and go fast virtually straight away, GT6 takes more skill and its much more rewarding when you finally "click" with the physics.

To the guys above:

I would take off driving line, the braking points are well off anyway and you will learn the track much faster without it,
TIP: use the blinking of the suggested gear for help with braking points if need be.

Also SRF & ASM really mess the handling/physics up, you will never get better using them and the cars just handle so unrealistically that you may as well be playing Mario Kart.

Trust me, when you start nailing the corners, braking points and using throttle control its euphoric!
I only use driving line because I too lazy to turn off and helps with Matterhorn and other new tracks. Soon as I learn them, the line gets turned off. Besides, I am faster when I don't pay attention to it and use my own line. Gonna try turning sensitivity down to 0, and I agree with you on the handling and physics:tup:

The suggested gear indicator is about as bad as the driving line to rely on. It usually starts blinking a second or more before you actually need to start braking and the suggested gear is often too low for the turn.

The suggested gear indicator is about as bad as the driving line to rely on. It usually starts blinking a second or more before you actually need to start braking and the suggested gear is often too low for the turn.

I mean't purely for the braking not the gear and i know it comes on a bit early but you can get a good general idea where to brake.
Usually about a second or two after like you said.
Much better than having bright blue and red lines in the road spoiling the immersion!

Automatic because I have enough to deal with having to make do with the awful physics engine

I'm really not sure how you can honestly hold that position, the physics in this game are fantastic.

As far as the OP question: I still use the Sixaxis that came with my launch-day fatty (nope, don't even have a DS3 :lol:), and for most cars I have ABS at 1, and everything else turned off when allowed. I make the concession for ABS because I simply can't modulate the button well enough without it on (though for some reason, I can modulate throttle a lot better). I've never touched the steering sensitivity at all.

Using ds3, sensitivity 7, no aids (excluding forced on skid recovery)

Driving line will slow you down a lot, even when trying to ignore it.

I only use active steering if i'm at Daytona, Indy, or Route X; in a car that really doesn't like cambered corners.

Make sure your tv is in "instant" or "game" mode, or manually disable image processes like denoiser, dynamic contrast, "smooth motion", etc.

These will delay your inputs and make it much harder for any game really.

I'm really not sure how you can honestly hold that position, the physics in this game are fantastic. snip

When the car your driving does more than just cocking one of its back wheels it becomes abit hard/impossible to control, All previous games I had no problems getting round Tokyo Route 246 but this one is plain daft where the slight incline is towards the end of the lap before going downhill kicks the back end of any car up just for fun, So yeah auto but not by choice just to make it less frustrating when the physics goes wrong.

ABS 1, TCS off or 1, Sensitivity 7 here.

I can't stand anything below 5. It's hard to recover slides on -2, even though it's smooth.

I play with the default settings! Cause I'm wack, I guess... lol.

I only changed the accelerator/brake option. I like using R2 and L2... not X and square. That's so uncomfortable. If I had more dough to shell out, I'd buy the GT wheel.

Latest Posts

Back