Driver rating formula hell

United States
United States
Ok guys we got to figure this out. My DR was half way up the bar from C to B. I was trying to raise my SR. Stayed in the back and raced clean... 3 clean driver bonuses in 4 races. I even moved UP my position 4,6,8 spots! And my SR get up to B but my DR bar goes DOWN!?!? I was moving up spots ... finishing a LOT higher and racing clean. What more does a guy have to do?? How does DR go down??
I even watched DR or SR go down leaving the pits!? How is all this possible, how does this advanced trig. math mayhem work???

The bar shows your score within your current DR. Check your profile at kudosprime.com to see the exact DR.

Edit: Read that your DR went from C to B.

Ok guys we got to figure this out.
It's been figured out.

Finish in the top half = DR up
Finish above drivers with a higher rating than you = DR up
Finish in the bottom half = DR down
Finish below drivers with a lower rating than you = DR down

https://www.gtplanet.net/unravelling-mysteries-gt-sports-driver-rating-system-improve/

Hit other cars = SR down
Hit track barriers/walls = SR down
Drive off the track = SR down
Everything else = SR up

https://www.gtplanet.net/improve-maintain-good-sportsmanship-rating-gt-sport/

SR and DR do not interact - one is to do with how clean you drive, the other is to do with how fast you drive - except:
* DR level cannot advance beyond current SR level
* If SR level falls to two levels below your current DR level, DR is reset to the lower level (actually it's a little bit more complex than that, but that's a simple summation)

That post isn't 'figured out' is it really, it's a very simplified form of 'figuring it out'.

Figuring it out would surely include the true mathematics of the system
That has also been figured out, it's just superfluous to the explanation - it's really not necessary to know how many DR points you will gain or lose from finishing in a specific position in a grid with 15 drivers whose DR points you can't see before the race starts...

Let me add that this does not work when your DR is much higher then most of the field.
It does, it's just the margins are much tighter. Essentially the points you would get for finishing in the top half are chipped away by the strength of the field. If you're sufficiently far ahead, you'll need to win just to tread water - but you will still gain DR.
I lost 50 DR points today finishing 1,1,1,2,4.
That doesn't surprise me - you probably lost 100 from the 4th place, and made small gains in the others.

It does, it's just the margins are much tighter. Essentially the points you would get for finishing in the top half are chipped away by the strength of the field. If you're sufficiently far ahead, you'll need to win just to tread water - but you will still gain DR.

That doesn't surprise me - you probably lost 100 from the 4th place, and made small gains in the others.
Yes you are right i just tried to make clear top half or not only works for somewhat evenly matched grids.

I think someone once posted the formula but i dont remeber what it was.

I had ~46000 DR and 99 SR in my second account. But today the Interlagos manufacturer-race went really bad for me that I lost over 1000 DR and 20 SR, so I dropped down to SR/A.
Afterwards I tried the Nations Cup and I think because I was A/A now, there weren't enough players with the same rating, so I got machet with only 1 another A Driver and the rest C and D- Drivers, there was not even one B-Driver in the field!
I won the race and I gained only ~130 DR!! I guess around the half of it came from the another A-Driver, so that means ~70 DR from 18 Drivers! At least I gained the 20 SR which I lost in the race before back and went to 99 :)

No, it doesn't give you a fixed DR down for disconnect or quit, but it does score you as a DNF. Then everybody who is a DNF gets a DR down from losing to everybody who finished the race, but not from each other.
Correct i had instances were i lost even more then 1000.

Werent you the one that figured out the formula ?

It's been figured out.

https://www.gtplanet.net/unravelling-mysteries-gt-sports-driver-rating-system-improve/

Hit other cars = SR down
Everything else = SR up

SR and DR do not interact - one is to do with how clean you drive, the other is to do with how fast you drive - except:
* If SR level falls to two levels below your current DR level, DR is reset to the lower level (actually it's a little bit more complex than that, but that's a simple summation)

Much thanks that clears it up to a certain degree. It's just a poor algorithm when I run from 16 to 9 it should matter how how many positions I move up as well. It also shouldn't matter where I finish related to other level
It's been figured out.

Hit other cars = SR down
Everything else = SR up

Thanks for the replies and useful info guys! There are definitely some bugs to get fixed.
I still believe number of spots increased in a race should increase driver rating. Also it's hard to say level of competition beaten should be rated when you're in a race with no one above your level. Like shottah072 noted in his... what 3 wins and lost points!? Coooome on GT.

Yes you are right i just tried to make clear top half or not only works for somewhat evenly matched grids.

I think someone once posted the formula but i dont remeber what it was.

The formula is like this:
1) for someone finished before you, baseline is lost 80 DR points +/- the difference of DR/500.
2) for someone finished after you, baseline is gain 80 DR points +/- the difference of DR/500.
3) Minimal is 1 DR point if the result of 1) or 2) is less than 1.
4) repeat the above to get the sum of comparing you with all other players in that race.
5) if the result from 4) make you rank up the DR ranking, then +1500 on top. If de-rank, then -1500 on top.

For example, if you are S player with 60000 DR and play with a C player with 5000 DR.
If you finished before him, you gain 1 DR from him (80-(60000-5000)/500) <1).
If you finished after him, you lost 190 DR to him (80+(60000-5000)/500) = 190).

So imagine you are a S player race with full grid of C players in one race.
Win give you <20 DR.
Finished 2nd lost you >100 DR.
If somehow finished last (or disconnect), you lost few thousands of DR.

Last edited:
Much thanks that clears it up to a certain degree. It's just a poor algorithm when I run from 16 to 9 it should matter how how many positions I move up as well. It also shouldn't matter where I finish related to other level

Thanks for the replies and useful info guys! There are definitely some bugs to get fixed.
I still believe number of spots increased in a race should increase driver rating. Also it's hard to say level of competition beaten should be rated when you're in a race with no one above your level. Like shottah072 noted in his... what 3 wins and lost points!? Coooome on GT.
I think it's a fair algorithm. If you're matched against people on a much lower level than you then the game correctly assumes that you probably easily won that fight, and thus gives you a lower amount of DR for that. It should, however, clarify that gaining positions does not necessarily mean that your DR will increase, as is implied by the current guide when you enter Sport Mode for the first time.
The real problem is the matchmaking which tends to match people of all levels (especially when it's not peak-time), although I do understand that it might be the limited player pool to choose from. Another problem are fast people who are on a secondary account where their rankings are much lower

Its cool the game is constantly trying to dial you into your proper ranking in the world .. as i get more consistant i see gains in my dr level.. used to top out high c to low b.. now im mid b...

Matchmaking is a nightmare however.. always paired up with the same 20 drivers or so.. many of them way outclass me (dr s' and a's).. i finish 4-7 usually and once in 20 races or so i get paired with all b's and i can get a sniff at the win (still rarely win as one b driver wil qual 1-3seconds faster)

when I run from 16 to 9 it should matter how how many positions I move up as well.
Why should it? You still got beaten by 8 drivers, and only finished ahead of 6. What it really means is that you need to qualify better and therefore start higher. Then if you gain 7 positions you will gain lots of DR :)

I just lost 300 DR for finishing 4th. I'm S/S. The 3 others were S/S, S/S and A/S. The race after I finished first against some A/S guys. I only gained 50 DR points...Yesterday I lost 1200 DR points for finishing 9th in the nations cup karting race. I guess it'll be hard to stay S/S... That's very hard to gain points and very easy to lose some.

It's been figured out.

Really not a fan of this system as it actually punishes slower drivers who get grouped with faster drivers.
I got into an FIA race that had 16 DR.S guys and only 4 of us DR.A's (this was before my DR got reset to B...).
I was about 47000 DR points and was door # 18 (for what that matters).
I finished 16th, 1 spot up from where I qualified(and 2 spots up from my "expected" finish if you believe door #'s) - and the game docked me 600 DR for essentially finishing right where the matchmaking system expected me to.

Its cool the game is constantly trying to dial you into your proper ranking in the world .. as i get more consistant i see gains in my dr level.. used to top out high c to low b.. now im mid b...

Matchmaking is a nightmare however.. always paired up with the same 20 drivers or so.. many of them way outclass me (dr s' and a's).. i finish 4-7 usually and once in 20 races or so i get paired with all b's and i can get a sniff at the win (still rarely win as one b driver wil qual 1-3seconds faster)

You can just start races without qualifying if you feel your DR is getting too high. Its kinda fun to start in the back and try to make your way forward except on crash tracks like ovals and Monza.

You can just start races without qualifying if you feel your DR is getting too high. Its kinda fun to start in the back and try to make your way forward except on crash tracks like ovals and Monza.

I do that occasionally but still finish fairly well. It will take a long time to race to the bottom. MONZA is funny i like to not qualify there .. and watch the carnage unfold

I do that occasionally but still finish fairly well. It will take a long time to race to the bottom. MONZA is funny i like to not qualify there .. and watch the carnage unfold

Yeah, one can easily finish in the top 7-8 out of 18 pretty often by just keeping your nose clean. That is unless of course you find that 1 guy who is really fast for a 1/2 lap then crashes, repeat, repeat, if he finds you and you become his favorite target you are screwed, as well as your SR even if you are the victim. All too often I have been penalized for being pushed thru a chicane when someone forgets that you need to brake for chicanes. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thanks for the reply and useful info guys! There are definitely some bugs to get fixed.

I still believe number of spots increased in a race should increase driver rating. I mean how can moving up 8 spots from 18-10th not add DR because in top half?? Score all racing with championship points formula for every position so even racing gives a point towards DR moving up. Add bonus for total number of spots moved up and make low multiple finishes start giving no points for or against so you maintain what DR you've earned. I mean it's like a freaking balancing act on a scale who's weight changes depending on how many people want to come touch it. You get wrecked AND avoid wrecking others in several races,
finishing bottom half ... and get an S SR but go down in DR!? It shouldn't move. Neutral. Especially if wrecked.

Also it's hard to say level of competition beaten should be rated when you're in a race with no one above your level. Like shottah072 noted in his... what 3 wins and lost points!? Coooome on GT.

Bottom line is GT sport is making it hard to enjoy online racing. You shouldn't ever race multiple races and work your ass off and drop a DR level. Neutral DR movement for bad finishes at worst should be new formula. You were good enough to get there to begin with, bad races don't make you a "lower level" driver.

There's a level of eccentricity with GT developers that shows it's face from time to time. Like their trying more to make a statement than a game consumers like. Like that you get a car but NOT a gold track logo for finishing all golds on all tracks in circuit experience. Why give silver and bronze but not just also gold!?

DR system can’t be based on positions gained, its right that it’s based on the strength of the other drivers you beat.

Everyone would just start at the back if that was the case, I agree sometimes the DR loss is very excessive for a bad result. But if your losing DR or only gaining a little bit you’ve probably reached the level you should be at.

Is it fair that Shottah lost points for winning, no it’s not should probably have just stayed at the same DR, but that’s the fault of the matchmaking system that you shouldn’t be put with those drivers in the first place. But on the same sentiment if you gain DR in a race like this then people would constantly game the system!

Back