Driver rating

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rosinbag1
  • 55 comments
  • 5,434 views
Messages
123
United States
United States
With GT Sport, is driver rating affected in a negative way when someone causes you to crash? I know if PCars 2 it does as can't differentiate between fault so wondered if same here?
 
I was under the impression that your Driver Rating will be affected only in that, if you crash, you will probably end the race further back than you would otherwise have done.

The Sportsmanship Rating will be affected if there's car-to-car contact. That system is pretty flawed at the moment so if you take the perfect line into a corner and somebody smashes into you at 200mph without even touching their brakes, you take some of the blame. I had someone spear through the chicane at Kyoto and ricochet off a barrier into me - I got a SR deduction and a 10 second penalty!
 
I was under the impression that your Driver Rating will be affected only in that, if you crash, you will probably end the race further back than you would otherwise have done.

The Sportsmanship Rating will be affected if there's car-to-car contact. That system is pretty flawed at the moment so if you take the perfect line into a corner and somebody smashes into you at 200mph without even touching their brakes, you take some of the blame. I had someone spear through the chicane at Kyoto and ricochet off a barrier into me - I got a SR deduction and a 10 second penalty!

Stinks for that but figured such. Not sure how the program would be able to separate out “fault.” I had a 2nd place finish about to get and someone rammed me this dropping way back. Not happy as was working hard to maintain the line and clean. Thanks for the input
 
Crashing will affect SR, not DR (but if you fall too far back in position then DR will take a hit). If you have for eg. 3/4 bar on DR D and you finish 17th (of 20 cars) you'll lose DR (down to about 1/2 bar) regardless of how well you do in the other areas of the race.

DR depends on:

- clean racing
- finishing position (top half of the field)
- finishing in position number higher than door number on your car
- gaining positions
- crossing the finish line before the timer runs up at end of the race

There's probably more things that affect DR.
 
- finishing in position number higher than door number on your car

Alright I have held back on weighing on this topic despite the massive thread on it. But since people still seem to believe it. I just want to say this has got to be complete and utter BS. Unless I am missing something big there is absolutely no reason, let alone evidence, to support this idea.

This theory needs to die.

Your door # is related the order in which you join a race. Next time you join, join it right at the very beginning of the window. You will probably have door number 5 or lower. But more importantly take note that your car is assigned it's number immediately when you have joined, which can be up to 15 minutes before other players have.

THINK about that.
 
Last edited:
I've had one occasion where my door number could not have been my rank position, that could have been a mistake on my part as I didn't have a screen print to prove it to myself or anyone else. Or it got messed up by people leaving during matchmaking and someone else getting shuffled in during matchmaking.

Since then I have been waiting to prove it wrong, and I haven't been able to yet.

When I was high DR:B I was in rooms with mostly DR:A and S, so I could easily test the theory, if the total A and S were 15, I could not have a door number lower than 16 and I never did.

Since I've been in DR:A I can only see what my door number should not be higher than, when there areDR:B guys in. say there are 5 DR:B guys, I could not have a number higher than 15 and I never did.

I Just read the bottom of your post, are you sure your door number hasn't stuck from the previous race? There is an issue where the race number sticks on the car. Can be fixed by using type 1 race number sticker in livery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DR depends on:

- clean racing
- finishing position (top half of the field)
- finishing in position number higher than door number on your car
- gaining positions
- crossing the finish line before the timer runs up at end of the race

There's probably more things that affect DR.
I'm now almost completely sure that the overwhelming majority of your DR score for a race come from your finishing position alone. There seems to be an infinitessimal effect from other factors - which is actually smaller than my confidence range for what the finishing positions pay out and so may not have an effect at all.
You door # is related the order in which you join a race.
This is categorically wrong. Your door number is a ranking of your DR score - although it is, amusingly, a little broken (basically it ranks by first number, then second, then third, fourth and fifth, but ranks no entry above an entry - 29pt ranks higher than 2899pt, but behind 3pt).

I've been testing these things and logging individual race results including DR/SR points scores, start and finish positions, door numbers and grid sizes since the start, and have logged values for around 100 races from B/S to D/E and E/C.
 
This is categorically wrong. Your door number is a ranking of your DR score - although it is, amusingly, a little broken (basically it ranks by first number, then second, then third, fourth and fifth, but ranks no entry above an entry - 29pt ranks higher than 2899pt).

OK I am open to explanation of how this could possibly be correct. But by my view there is simply no way given the following:

1. You have a 15 minute window in which to join a race
2. Your door number is assigned the moment you join.

So in theory, you could join a race at 14:59 left in the window and literally be the only person currently in that race. How in the hell could it give you a ranked door number when you are literally the only person in the race at that point?

if you can make sense of that I am all ears.
 
By my view there is simply now way given the following:

1. You have a 15 minute window in which to join a race
2. Your door number is assigned the moment you join.

So in theory, you could join a race at 14:59 left in the window and literally be the only person currently in that race. How in the hell could it give you a ranked door number when you are literally the only person in the race at that point?
Where have you got that idea? Your door number until is never shown to you until matchmaking is completed (the screen with the driver sitting on the floor behind his car).
 
Alright I have held back on weighing on this topic despite the massive thread on it. But since people still seem to believe it. I just want to say this has got to be complete and utter BS. Unless I am missing something big there is absolutely no reason, let alone evidence, to support this idea.

This theory needs to die.

You door # is related the order in which you join a race. Next time you join, join it right at the very beginning of the window. You will probably have door number 5 or lower. But more importantly take note that your car is assigned it's number immediately when you have joined, which can be up to 15 minutes before other players have.

THINK about that.
I hope/wish this to be correct but I suspect that door number is assigned during matching. When I’m driving for qualifying time I think I have the number I put on my livery. If you are correct then it completely clears up my confusion about door numbers!
 
I'm now almost completely sure that the overwhelming majority of your DR score for a race come from your finishing position alone.

By that do you mean finishing position compared to where you should finish based on your rank? So if you have the 10th highest rank you will gain DR for finishing higher than 10th and lose DR for finishing below it? That's how I always thought it worked.
 
Hmm, ok now you have me doubting myself and I am not home to check but by my recollection is as soon as you enter the race you see your car rotating on a splash screen with your number already assigned.

Maybe I am wrong about that?
 
By that do you mean finishing position compared to where you should finish based on your rank? So if you have the 10th highest rank you will gain DR for finishing higher than 10th and lose DR for finishing below it? That's how I always thought it worked.
No, finishing position alone.

I suspect that there is a tiny, tiny effect from other factors. I always thought there was an effect, but now the results of over 100 races at several different levels (none as high as yours, I admit) suggest that if there is an effect, it's so small (like, less than 10pt in total) it's within the error margins of the position score.


Hmm, ok now you have me doubting myself and I am not home to check but by my recollection is as soon as you enter the race you see your car rotating on a splash screen with your number already assigned.

Maybe I am wrong about that?
You get a TAG Heuer watch counting (with its hands at the correct time) until matchmaking happens...
 
No, finishing position alone.

I suspect that there is a tiny, tiny effect from other factors. I always thought there was an effect, but now the results of over 100 races at several different levels (none as high as yours, I admit) suggest that if there is an effect, it's so small (like, less than 10pt in total) it's within the error margins of the position score.

So if you finish first you should gain the same DR every time? Because I'm pretty sure that's not true.

http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=2366031

My last jump (Day 31-32) of 200 DR points was after winning 2 daily races against a fairly weak field, the jump before that of about 800 points was from winning 1 Nations Cup race against mostly S and A ranks. So the amount you get must surely depend on the SOF, unless I'm misunderstanding you.
 
You get a TAG Heuer watch counting (with its hands at the correct time) until matchmaking happens...


Hmm... OK. I stand corrected. So now I think we need to get to the bottom of this. I guess I need to take a closer look when I get home. If in fact door #'s are not assigned until matchmaking that is pretty strong sign that they are related.

Odd though as I have had door #1 at times when I was nowhere near the best driver in the race.
 
So if you finish first you should gain the same DR every time? Because I'm pretty sure that's not true.

http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=2366031

My last jump (Day 31-32) of 200 DR points was after winning 2 daily races against a fairly weak field, the jump before that of about 800 points was from winning 1 Nations Cup race against mostly S and A ranks. So the amount you get must surely depend on the SOF, unless I'm misunderstanding you.
From my experience it definitely depends on SOF. I have had races in weak fields where I won and even lost DR.
 
So if you finish first you should gain the same DR every time?
No. I mean, it's nearly that simple, but not quite.
My last jump (Day 31-32) of 200 DR points was after winning 2 daily races against a fairly weak field
That's so, so far out of whack with any data I've come across in the last two months. Do you have any more precise data on this?
the jump before that of about 800 points was from winning 1 Nations Cup race against mostly S and A ranks.
Whereas that's pretty normal.
Odd though as I have had door #1 at times when I was nowhere near the best driver in the race.
It's not necessarily indicating how good you are. It's ranking your DR score.

How it ranks your DR score is a bit wonky though. It does it like a Windows PC sorts files, rather than how a spreadsheet ranks data. If you have ten files in a folder, called File1, File2, File3, File4, File5, File6, File7, File8, File9 and File10, and then order them by name, the computer will list them as File1, File10, File2, File3, etc. 10 is second, when it should be tenth (which is why you always call your files File01, File02, etc. when there's up to 99 of them :D ).

On almost all occasions I've had a DR of 1 (and there have been a lot of them, because I engineered it that way precisely to research this), I've had a door number of 9-12, in a lobby with the same number of drivers (initially). I've even had 12 in a 10 car lobby, because two drivers quit after matchmaking and during the practice/warm-up.

There have also been a small number of occasions where I haven't. I'm not entirely surprised by this as, if the door number ranking system works how I think it does above, there will be a 27% chance of a driver ranked higher than me with a DR score lower than me, at DR D.
is it Possible to become SR: S level when my DR level is B ?
Yes. SR limits DR, but DR doesn't limit SR.
 
No, finishing position alone.

I suspect that there is a tiny, tiny effect from other factors. I always thought there was an effect, but now the results of over 100 races at several different levels (none as high as yours, I admit) suggest that if there is an effect, it's so small (like, less than 10pt in total) it's within the error margins of the position score.

Strength of field definitely has an impact. I've not got a data set as big as yours but from an DR A SR S level.

I don't track a huge number of variables but I would also add:-

Race length
SR rating for race
Number of cars on the grid

The DR rating points also differs from Cup points awarded, which is definitely heavily influenced by DR, SR and strength of field.
 
Strength of field definitely has an impact.
That definitely affects your FIA points, but has no bearing I can determine on DR. At least in the Daily Races.
I've not got a data set as big as yours but from an DR A SR S level.

I don't track a huge number of variables but I would also add:-

Race length
SR rating for race
Number of cars on the grid
I don't believe SR has any effect whatsoever (and again, I've tried at all ranks, and all values from 1-99). However the key is the number of positions you are away from the middle of the field - so yes, number of cars on the grid is important. 1st in a 16-car race is 7.5 positions above the middle. 1st in a 12-car race is only 5.5 positions above the middle. If matchmaking can only find 11 drivers for the 12-car race, it's only 5 positions above.

Length of race I'm not sure about, as the Daily Races link length and grid sizes - more laps means more cars. My experiences in Race C suggest that I gain the same points per position as with Race A, which suggest length of race doesn't matter.
 
That definitely affects your FIA points, but has no bearing I can determine on DR. At least in the Daily Races.

I don't believe SR has any effect whatsoever (and again, I've tried at all ranks, and all values from 1-99). However the key is the number of positions you are away from the middle of the field - so yes, number of cars on the grid is important. 1st in a 16-car race is 7.5 positions above the middle. 1st in a 12-car race is only 5.5 positions above the middle. If matchmaking can only find 11 drivers for the 12-car race, it's only 5 positions above.

Length of race I'm not sure about, as the Daily Races link length and grid sizes - more laps means more cars. My experiences in Race C suggest that I gain the same points per position as with Race A, which suggest length of race doesn't matter.

Some recent examples:
Suzuka 10 lap daily race. DR A SR A. Finished 1/20 DR 540pts SR 10pts
Bathurst 3 lap daily race. DA A SR A. Finished 3/16 DR 446pts SR 3 pts
Brands 10 lap daily race. DR A SR A. Finished 4/20 DR 229 pts SR 12 pts
Dragon 10 lap daily race. DR A SR S. Finished 3/20 DR 1092 pts SR 3 pts

I should also add positions gained. I've not been tracking that to date.
 
Some recent examples:
Suzuka 10 lap daily race. DR A SR A. Finished 1/20 DR 540pts SR 10pts
Bathurst 3 lap daily race. DA A SR A. Finished 3/16 DR 446pts SR 3 pts
Brands 10 lap daily race. DR A SR A. Finished 4/20 DR 229 pts SR 12 pts
Dragon 10 lap daily race. DR A SR S. Finished 3/20 DR 1092 pts SR 3 pts

I should also add positions gained. I've not been tracking that to date.

Sorry how do you check your SR points for individual races?
 
Some recent examples:
Suzuka 10 lap daily race. DR A SR A. Finished 1/20 DR 540pts SR 10pts
Bathurst 3 lap daily race. DA A SR A. Finished 3/16 DR 446pts SR 3 pts
Brands 10 lap daily race. DR A SR A. Finished 4/20 DR 229 pts SR 12 pts
Dragon 10 lap daily race. DR A SR S. Finished 3/20 DR 1092 pts SR 3 pts

I should also add positions gained. I've not been tracking that to date.
Your last example there is within 11pt of the predicted value for that race, but the others are a little stranger (one particularly so). I've got a couple of anomalous results myself (both from v1.08, actually), but over 100 races they're not enough to affect the statistics.

I've had races where I've won but lost SR (between -1 and -3), where I've won but gained SR (between +1 and +6) and where I've won but remained stable, and all gave me roughly the same number of DR points per position. And these have been at SR B, C, D and E, and DR B, C and D. I've also lost roughly the same number of DR points per position with last place finishes, despite gaining (up to +6), not moving or losing (up to -14) SR in that race.

I've also been careful to finish in as many different positions as I can to check the DR points per position, and the numbers always line up to within 10%. Often far less.
 
Where in the game does it show your points for DR and SR?
 
That's so, so far out of whack with any data I've come across in the last two months. Do you have any more precise data on this?

No, not exactly, I'm not sure if @Milouse can get data on specific races or even dates so I can vaguely figure out how many points I got for what.

I think looking at saved replays and recorded races that I can track back to about a month ago or day 16 on my stats, I'll post the details tomorrow, either with a new post or updating this post if no one else has said anything.
 
Yes this is the best setup now since it's been patched message me back let me know if you feel the rumble strips after this as I wasn't originally.
Controller Sensitivity set to 7
FFB Torque (feel of road and detail) 8
FFB Sensitivity 2
Made me enjoy the wheel like I wanted to

I'm now almost completely sure that the overwhelming majority of your DR score for a race come from your finishing position alone. There seems to be an infinitessimal effect from other factors - which is actually smaller than my confidence range for what the finishing positions pay out and so may not have an effect at all.

This is categorically wrong. Your door number is a ranking of your DR score - although it is, amusingly, a little broken (basically it ranks by first number, then second, then third, fourth and fifth, but ranks no entry above an entry - 29pt ranks higher than 2899pt, but behind 3pt).

I've been testing these things and logging individual race results including DR/SR points scores, start and finish positions, door numbers and grid sizes since the start, and have logged values for around 100 races from B/S to D/E and E/C.

I concur, I share the same observations. As my DR is improving, I'm starting at better positions. This way, I guess it's supposed to be come harder and harder to gain positions.
 
Hmm, ok now you have me doubting myself and I am not home to check but by my recollection is as soon as you enter the race you see your car rotating on a splash screen with your number already assigned.

Maybe I am wrong about that?
Mine rotates on splash screen with number applied by me in livery editor.
 
Back