Driving in Russia

• Thread starter Grayfox
  • 376 comments
Saw this GIF today.
A GL-Klasse suddenly cuts the lane right on the way of the camera car. In next second, it gets knocked off by a MAZ. Instant karma! :D
Probably because the GL driver has cut the truck's way before, too, and the MAZ driver tried to avoid hitting him, but lost control.
1387520540_2074094745.gif

It's the weirdest contrast seeing luxury cars and Russian trucks side by side.
What you see here is a Belarusian truck IN a luxury car's side. :lol: Not so weird.
And even "side by side" is not weird, too. A late '70s model Kamaz truck next to a Porsche Cayenne is an absolutely common sight.
I also remember, a couple of years ago I've seen a Caterham R400 (they're VERY rare here, but I was so lucky to spot one) to the left of a Kamaz 6x6 army truck (like this). The Caterham looked lower than the Kamaz's wheel! And if the truck driver suddenly turned left, he'd probably smash the R400 and not notice anything. "What was that, another road bump?" :D

I have to say, having seen so many dash cam vids, Russia is one place I think I'd only drive if I was in something fairly large, strong, and ideally not mine.

Topping my list so far of crap driving in places I have driven is Dubai. High speeds, no lane discipline, occasional high-performance car weaving through traffic like they're playing Outrun. No sense of personal space either, frequent unsecured loads on trucks (I was once in a car hit by a load of boxes falling off a van - luckily, the boxes contained fairly light objects) and in the fog, everyone drives at the same speed they do in bright sunshine, just with their hazard lights flashing. Pile-ups can be massive.

At the same time, I quite enjoy it. It's a different challenge from driving in the UK. You need to be much more assertive.

Bits of the U.S. are similar but honestly I've not driven anywhere in the U.S. yet where driving standards are worse than those in the U.K. Chicago, LA, middle of nowhere, nothing.

What are the fines like for driving like a twit.
Well, the most common are:

drunk driving - 30,000 rubles (~$1000) fine, license taken away for 1,5-2 years, vehicle arrest.
speeding 21-40 km/h above the limit - 500 rub (~$17)
41-60 km/h - 1000-1500 rub (~$33-50)
61-80 km/h - 2000-2500 rub (~$67-83) fine or license away for 4-6 months
81 km/h or higher - 5000 rub (~$170) fine or license away for 6 months (next time for 1 year)
going through a red light - 1000 rub (~$33)
going on an oncoming lane - 5000 rub (~$170) fine or license away for 6 months (next time for 1 year)

At the same time, I quite enjoy it. It's a different challenge from driving in the UK. You need to be much more assertive.
A survival challenge, right? :lol:

Well, the most common are:

drunk driving - 30,000 rubles (~$1000) fine, license taken away for 1,5-2 years, vehicle arrest.
speeding 21-40 km/h above the limit - 500 rub (~$17)
41-60 km/h - 1000-1500 rub (~$33-50)
61-80 km/h - 2000-2500 rub (~$67-83) fine or license away for 4-6 months
81 km/h or higher - 5000 rub (~$170) fine or license away for 6 months (next time for 1 year)
going through a red light - 1000 rub (~$33)
going on an oncoming lane - 5000 rub (~$170) fine or license away for 6 months (next time for 1 year)

Speeding fines are a joke, going through red light $33 no wonder many do it.

I have to say, having seen so many dash cam vids, Russia is one place I think I'd only drive if I was in something fairly large, strong, and ideally not mine.

Topping my list so far of crap driving in places I have driven is Dubai. High speeds, no lane discipline, occasional high-performance car weaving through traffic like they're playing Outrun. No sense of personal space either, frequent unsecured loads on trucks (I was once in a car hit by a load of boxes falling off a van - luckily, the boxes contained fairly light objects) and in the fog, everyone drives at the same speed they do in bright sunshine, just with their hazard lights flashing. Pile-ups can be massive.

Bits of the U.S. are similar but honestly I've not driven anywhere in the U.S. yet where driving standards are worse than those in the U.K. Chicago, LA, middle of nowhere, nothing.

I'd get a monster size truck or something so I could feel invincible lol.

Speeding fines are a joke, going through red light $33 no wonder many do it.
It's quite decent for an average Lada driver. :lol:

I'd get a monster size truck or something so I could feel invincible lol.
This is your best buy then. KrAZ 255 "Lapot", the Ukrainian army 6x6 monster. Also solves the "no roads" problem.

The road cross driving rules are:
1. Stop near the road crossing
2. Make sure there's no other KrAZ coming
3. Go.

And the parking rules are:
KPAZ_%28parking%29.jpg

Every country has it's traffic problems and bad drivers. We are all humans and basically the same. Guys like cars and feel the need for speed. Some of them have big egos and want to prove themselves to others.

Traffic rules and the police enforcing these rules on the other hand is another part of the equation. I have no idea how it is in Russia but in Belgium, there are stupid drivers as well, making the roads a hazardous place to be. It's not that problematic during the day. A lot of the accidents with deadly casualties happen during the weekends, when driving to or coming from a cafe, club or whatever.

Another problem in Belgium, and I don't know if this is the same in Russia, is that people don't slow down during heavy rain fall, fog etc.... . This is still a big problem.

I have noticed that there is a change in mentality amongst Belgian drivers though. People obey the traffic rules more than in the past. 👍

Problem with dashcams in Belgium is that the recorded videos probably won't help in case of an accident. It's up to the judge it rule if the videos are admissible in court or not. The judge could rule that the privacy of the people filmed (who are in fault and you are trying to prove that it is not your fault) is violated and you could end up being sanctioned by the judge. We are allowed to use dashcam but it's not clear that it will help you in case of an accident. Insurance companies don't care if you have dashcam or not (I asked a few insurance companies). They still rely on the observations and statements of the drivers involved in the car accident, witnesses, and the police.

How is the condition of the Russian roads?

:lol: I see these in Canada, too.

bd4f41a6f6231ee113df23b58570466c.jpg

Worst part is that Russian roads don't warn about those. Canada's roads are at least normally marked with...:

stock-photo-7216916-bump-sign.jpg

...That exact sign. Basically, it's a warning sign that tells you to stop and drive around the nonchalant ducks. Edit: And frogs. Frogs are everywhere.

Basically, it's a warning sign that tells you to stop and drive around the nonchalant ducks. Edit: And frogs. Frogs are everywhere.

If it don't get out of my way, it gets hit. Woodchucks, raccoons, possums, deer, etc. You move get hit. Having a big truck is a wonderful thing :)

If it don't get out of my way, it gets hit. Woodchucks, raccoons, possums, deer, etc. You move get hit. Having a big truck is a wonderful thing :)

One day, you'll come across a moose... Oh, wait, you're not in Canada. Feel free to continue to hit everything and be a dick to nature, then. There isn't possibly anything big enough in New York to stop you... Not even a moose.

The only thing I'd slow down for is a cow, horse, pig, or someones pet, or something large enough to cause huge damage to my vehicle, or a strange animal that you don't see often. A deer I'll slow down for if I have ample time, don't get me wrong, but if I'm almost right on it...well there's no point in braking then, now is there.

One day, you'll come across a moose... Oh, wait, you're not in Canada. Feel free to continue to hit everything and be a dick to nature, then. There isn't possibly anything big enough in New York to stop you... Not even a moose.
"In New York, most moose are located in the northeastern part of the state in the Adirondack Mountains and the Taconic Highlands along the Massachusetts and Vermont borders." -- http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/6964.html

"new york moose" on Google. Five seconds. Why do you do this.

*misses sarcasm*

He implied that there was nothing that he would stop for. I implied that - even in New York - there are things to worry about, since apparently some people actually do believe that meese (?) actually are specific to Canada. I'm humouring him.

I think it's funny how many people don't even know what animals are common to their own state :lol:

Also, "moose" can be used as plural. Kind of like deer. You wouldn't say "deers" or "mooses" :lol:

For example, "I saw a deer in the road." or "I saw several deer in the road". Same thing with moose. Sorry to jump on you though :lol:

I think it's funny how many people don't even know what animals are common to their own state

Hmmmm, this whole English grammar thing is new to me. I speak French better than English.

Also, I know that moose are common in New York. Are you telling me - as I've never been to New York - that there are actually people who don't know that there are animals in New York, such as moose? And that I - having never been to New York - know more about New York than the locals?

Wow. Ridiculous.

You bet.

But yet, they claim (and confirm in some cases) there are animals the DEC won't acknowledge that they released here to control the deer population either. Call the DEC and ask if there are cougars/mountain lions in New York. They will straight up, to your face tell you no.

My grandpa has a trailcam in this state that caught the ears, crest of the back and tail on it at night. There are others who have as well. You going to tell me they aren't here?

I find it amusing and horrifying at the same time. Makes you wonder what else they don't pay attention to.

...This is no longer relevant to "Driving in Russia," is it?

small font for rant: I've seen Massassauga Rattlesnakes about 200-300 km. south of the most southern point where they are known to exist. Just because the officials aren't aware, doesn't mean that they're not there. If you ever do stumble upon wildlife such as a moose, rattlesnake, or mountain lion, please just stay perfectly still, crap your pants, and move on when the animal has also moved on. Especially with the rattlesnake... Mountain biking trails normally aren't very close to hospitals...

What? Haha :lol:
🤬🤬 damn website. I swear there was a broken Panzer III when I was posting it. Gotta be careful hotlinking images next time. :D
Edit: was reading it on a phone and the image was another. Doesn't matter what was it...
Edit 2: fixed the picture.

Worst part is that Russian roads don't warn about those. Canada's roads are at least normally marked with...:
stock-photo-7216916-bump-sign.jpg

...That exact sign. Basically, it's a warning sign that tells you to stop and drive around the nonchalant ducks. Edit: And frogs. Frogs are everywhere.
If you try to use such signs on the Russian roads... There'll be too many of them, and they'll leave no space to drive. :lol:

LMAO! Not really right but still very funny! I like this Russia VS. Germany teasing thing!
(because we'd win trololol)
Seriously, the early Nazi tanks (Pz I, II, and early III) had their chassis worn out and broken pretty quickly, because they were designed for Europe with good roads (and going off-road in Russia was even more deadly sometimes), while T-34 with its strong suspension and wide tracks had no problems with what Russians call "roads" (and off-road as well).
So you might say these roads protect us from enemies, just like General Frost who won the Battle of Stalingrad. :D

Edit: this is true. I was LOLing on this, because true. :lol:
I edited the pic to translate the text:
QulVX0PbnL8.jpg

Edit 2: very nice time for laying the asphalt!
Perm, Ural, RF.
xTOJXGvPMe4.jpg

Last edited:
Edit 2: very nice time for laying the asphalt!
Perm, Ural, RF.
xTOJXGvPMe4.jpg
Very smart creating new roads with asphalt during the winter. Due to the contrast (white snow and black asphalt) they know if they are doing it right.

They put the asphalt right on the snow, and then they get suprised when the snow melts down in spring and the road turns into moon surface again. :lol:

"There's only one way to make Russian roads as good as European.
To bomb THEIR roads.
"

Back