Driving in Russia

• Thread starter Grayfox
  • 376 comments
No, No and No the title of worst roads and drivers has to be ours (Egypt). Unlike Russia we have zero rules, I struggle to find a country that can compete with us.

No, No and No the title of worst roads and drivers has to be ours (Egypt). Unlike Russia we have zero rules, I struggle to find a country that can compete with us.

So you can rear end a cop and drive away without getting into trouble?

So you can rear end a cop and drive away without getting into trouble?

No but when a cop cuts you off and you Horn at him, he will chase you down and attempt to run you off the road then has the nerve to pull over and demand your license (Happened to me :lol: )

In iran, they drive ON the line instead of between, and you get typical street fights.

I don't see anything wrong. Except that they don't stop for pedestrians crossing the street.

The Iranians drive better than the AI in GT5.

Last edited:
Of course Russia is not the worst country for driving. Yes, more dangerous than western Europe. But not like Greece (or Egypt, Iran, India, etc).
Drivers usually obey the rules (they ignore solid lines mostly, but not oncoming, of course). Like in any other country, there are also such things as stupid drivers.
And the city where I live - Moscow - is not too bad at all. Drivers are smarter (many streets and highways are equipped with police cameras) and even the roads are much better than in the rest of the country.
The reason why you see a lot of crash videos is very high popularity of dash cameras (I already told why. They also let you record some interesting stuff, like meteorites. :D).

A friend of mine, who lives outside Moscow, once drove me to his home in his Lancer. When we left the city, I was terrified by the roads condition. He is a novice driver, like me (got the license five months ago), and he didn't seem to be trying to dodge the road bumps & pits. :crazy: I almost was hitting the roof with my head...
After the trip, I said: "Damn, I'd never drive an import like your Lancer on roads like this! I'd get an UAZ if I were you. Or a Volga, at least." :lol:

P.S. Another Russian road meme:

This is a singing road in USA.
If you drive on it, you can hear a Chaikovsky tune.

And here are the Russian music roads.
If you drive a domestic car, you can hear a Slipknot drum solo.

1372108579_XqfhU1iw-Aw.jpg

However, I doubt that it's an American road on the upper pic... Or it is?

Last edited:
Just saw a video of a Russian dashcam footage (the writing on the side of the bus was Russian) where the driver was attempting to overtake a bus, but someone else also tried to overtake the bus. I know, I was trained to look behind and in front before attempting to overtake... Maybe the driver training could be better in Russia?

Just like I've seen some of the erratic guys attempting to do "ski drivings" in Saudi Arabia. :lol:

Just saw a video of a Russian dashcam footage (the writing on the side of the bus was Russian) where the driver was attempting to overtake a bus, but someone else also tried to overtake the bus. I know, I was trained to look behind and in front before attempting to overtake... Maybe the driver training could be better in Russia?
Yes, this happens sometimes. Some drivers don't bother looking at the mirror and even use a turn signal before a manoever. There are some people who just bribe the driving license and go on the road with almost no skills. :crazy: Sad but true.

However, I doubt that it's an American road on the upper pic... Or it is?

There are a few musical roads around the world, one is in the US. There's one in Japan and other countries as well. However, I don't think any of them plays Tchaikovsky.

There are a few musical roads around the world, one is in the US. There's one in Japan and other countries as well. However, I don't think any of them plays Tchaikovsky.

And that could just be a bit of creative license, given the difference between the road conditions and the difference between Tchaikovsky (normally soothing music) and Slipknot.

OK, got it, the person who made this picture was wrong (as I supposed).
But the "Slipknot drum solo" is completely true. There also may be dubstep from your Lada creaking. :lol:

In China, a lot of rich people pay for a driver license and not do any tests. And because of the large population, there's a lot of new drivers every single day. In Beijing, there's a limit of how many driver licenses are given out each year. One time when I was in Shanghai the taxi driver was passing on the other side of a HIGHWAY.

My friends I bring you the portuguese! Absolute maniacs behind the wheel and one of the countries with the highest death rate comparing to our population

Jeremy Clarkson discribed us this way "Driving in Portugal is like injecting stricnyne directly into your liver. Going to buy a loaf of bread and you are 100% sure to return home in a box"

Note that these cars are overtaking in a place where is forbidden.

1:10 - a typical Lada ricer. Just look at his "korch". :D
Another Lada driver at 2:08 caused a stupid accident, but he managed to leave the road quickly to avoid a more serious crash. That was epic. :lol:

BTW, I don't have my own personal car yet (I used to drive my Mom's Audi Q5, but now it's sold), and I'm planning my first to be a GAZ Volga. But my parents and friends advise me against this - "Don't you know that any Volga is an asshole?". There's a saying: "GAZ Volga is not equipped with such things as ABS, airbags, power steering or automatic transmission, but it is equipped is an automatic asshole.".
There is some sort of truth - for some reason, Volga drivers have specific driving habits and sometimes cause other people to **** bricks, or even cause accidents. Here's a set of videos with crashes and dangerous moments caused by Volga drivers, named "Volga - is it a disease?" (the song contains NSFW lyrics in Russian).

That's ........ unbelieveable. :eek:

I wonder which planet they are coming from. It looks more like video clips from race games from at a game expo.

Volga and demolition derby, best combination ever. :D
The old, Soviet-made Volgas are pretty strong. They seem to be designed to take down the capitalist cars. On purpose. :lol:
This is a typical result of a slack collision of a Volga (24-10, 1980's model) with a capitalist junk (Daewoo Lanos on this one).
VolgaDTP.jpg

Almost no damage to the Volga (just a little deformed bumper). :D

I think you get so many Russian car crashes on film because apparently it's compulsory to have a dashboard camera when you're driving on the road.

With all of these dash cam videos, I've gotta say, you Russians get some really good electro/Euro dance songs on the radio. Better than what we get in America. :P

I think you get so many Russian car crashes on film because apparently it's compulsory to have a dashboard camera when you're driving on the road.
It's not compulsory, but it's better than the alternative - the Russian courts and insurance companies are notoriously difficult to deal with. A camera on the dashboard makes it considerably easier should you run into trouble in the lawless wasteland that is the Russian Federal Highway System.

O
This is a singing road in USA.
If you drive on it, you can hear a Chaikovsky tune.

And here are the Russian music roads.
If you drive a domestic car, you can hear a Slipknot drum solo.

1372108579_XqfhU1iw-Aw.jpg

Where are you driving in the USA? Roads here are like the bottom :lol:

HAHA you think Russia is bad? I've been to Pakistan once (very scary place btw :scared:)
And there are no lanes, because most of the time there are no paved roads. and you can drive on the wrong side of the ****ING HIGHWAY where people go at above 100mph (If their P.O.S. cars can make it to 100). Also, there are horrendous circular traffic jams, where if you were to look at the traffic from a helicopter, you would see that it literally goes in a circle/square/etc and is jammed by itself. Such ********, the "roads" there.

Back