Driving techniques "encyclopedia"

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTPL_LITECOIN
  • 12 comments
  • 1,300 views
Messages
27
Poland
Poland
Messages
GTPL_LITECOIN
Is there any good, especially for GT?
Best players don't want to teach their methods, techniques.
 
Last edited:
Is there any good, especially for GT?
Best players don't want to teach their methods, technics.
Most of the best players aren't going to come out and say that they are. You can't teach someone technique. They can tell you and you may as well read up on things, as it'll yield the same effect. Either you start to figure it out or you don't. Heel-toeing for example. Can't be taught. Can be told how to do so, but that is it. Trail braking and understanding how to set one corner up in a manner where you're exiting into the line that set you up for the next and so on. If it means being slower in turn x to be quicker in y and z, then on tona straight, so be it. Those are the sort of things that can be taught. I would seek out articles written by SCCA members and their counterparts around the world, if you want to learn about things like that. Pbysical technique just can't be taught in terms of how people negotiate a track. It's like someone asking "how to I throw a baseball 89 mph?" There's no specific or single way, you know? It comes to what works for you and whatever it is, will work for you because of the way you think and how your body responds to said thoughts. You'll get to a point where you're essentially not thinking anymore about driving and it becomes subconscious, because it will benefit you in a race to be focusing on other things as well. Like what your competitor is doing or predicting what he will or won't do, pushing them to make a mistake, etc.

Between people not wanting to talk about how great they are and it requiring quite a novel to explain technique...I mean, this is exactly why people write books and this stuff and it does indeed sell for good reason.

Even if not just for GT, could be worth your while.and entertainment to pick one up. I'm sure there actually is a race craft encyclopedia out on the web, too. Check out sites like f1 technical and such.
 
There are loads of people who are willing to help you out, but like 332i said, being fast is also a natural skill, you either have it or you don't. You can have a degree in physics, know exactly what you're supposed to do and what effect every tiny input you make will have, but being able to implement it on the track is something different entirely. Experimentation, trial and error and making mental notes of sector times, corner speeds, corner exit speeds and braking points will help you to learn what is fast and what isn't, but nothing can beat the natural reactions the top guys have in respect to what the car is doing, and even predicting in advance what is going to happen.

I prefer to learn things for myself, but something that could help you out a lot is to download the top ghost replay from every seasonal event available, do the car and track combination yourself, then compare your data against the #1 time in the data logger. See where the differences are, it will tell you everything from the speed each wheel is spinning at, G-forces, pedal and wheel inputs, gear, engine revs and so on. After absorbing the differences in data, go back out there and try to implement them, save your ghost, go back to the data logger, rinse and repeat.

I'm not a top tier guy but always willing to help if I can out on the track. I've done this before by having someone follow me for a while, and then I will follow them for a while. If I gain time on them, I will explain how and why. I'm quite busy of late, but send a message over PSN and we can organise something if you'd like.
 
Thanks guys for advices. I was wrong, there are helpfull people too :)
 
That is very very helpful. I can stream their replays by clicking on the "camera" icon. How do we save, load their replay and compare their data and ours?

I prefer to learn things for myself, but something that could help you out a lot is to download the top ghost replay from every seasonal event available, do the car and track combination yourself, then compare your data against the #1 time in the data logger. See where the differences are, it will tell you everything from the speed each wheel is spinning at, G-forces, pedal and wheel inputs, gear, engine revs and so on. After absorbing the differences in data, go back out there and try to implement them, save your ghost, go back to the data logger, rinse and repeat.
 
Techniques*

Just thought I'd help you out there. :)
 
I just want to say big thanks to Lewis_Hamilton_ first for the friend add and some mentoring on this new online racing. I'll be logging in around 7 PM today to start my first lesson haha.
 
This is the best advice!

50b2a44fa76585e947c11b0469e24866.jpg



👍
 
A good way to learn might be to watch some of my Suzuka time trial videos. Youtube link in my sig. Check my avatar. I know Suzuka pretty well. Look at the speeds I'm entering and exiting the corners at, and study them. Then try them yourself.
 
SuzukaS, but in your replays, there is no onboard camera, which is not good for learning.
 
There's no such thing as a manual to teach you every technique. It'd be a million pages long and change every other day as people discovered new stuff.

The best thing you can do is learn to recognise where you're having trouble. Then you can ask for help, and someone will help you. Plenty of nice people around who are more than willing to give advice as long as you're reasonably specific about what you need.
 
SuzukaS, but in your replays, there is no onboard camera, which is not good for learning.

But the speedometer and tachometer are present, and that helps a lot. Pro drivers know approximately what speed they need for each corner. If he, or anyone, wants to learn how to master Suzuka, my videos would help immensely. I could re-upload all my replays in onboard cam if that would help. Might take me 6 years though lol

Other advice I can give is to master the slow cars first. Don't expect to get far by only driving high-PP cars. Flesh out your skills.
 
Back