Driving the New Mercedes A-Class Sedan Won't Be a Drag

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 13 comments
  • 2,897 views
Slippery indeed.

giphy.gif
 
My first thought was... how is this record not held by something more sporty, but then I realized that presenting surfaces that create downforce probably contribute to a much higher drag coefficient. Still, I'm surprised that the record holder isn't a supercar with retractable aerodynamic surfaces.
 
Still, I'm surprised that the record holder isn't a supercar with retractable aerodynamic surfaces.
Supercars typically need a lot of cooling, something that causes a lot of drag.
 
The new 4-door Mercedes A-Class is here:
2019-mercedes-benz-a-class-sedan.jpg

2019-mercedes-benz-a-class-sedan.jpg


It looks far better as a sedan than a hatchback, not something I would often say for C-segment vehicles.
 
The hood line as it relates to the headlights isn't jiving for me, nor are the headlights as they relate to the lower outermost bumper "inlets".
 
Yeah, the front end looks like a slightly melted Dart. :/
USC30DOC301B021001.jpg
 
Yeah, the front end looks like a slightly melted Dart. :/
USC30DOC301B021001.jpg
Holy moley. A part of me thought it might look a bit like a Dart, but I didn't venture to compare the two.
 
The front end does seem just a little "odd" compared to the rest of the cars proportions. Almost as if it's slightly too small relative to the rest of car if that makes sense?

Either way, looks soo much better in saloon form, a hell of a lot less ugly.
 
It's an Alfa Romeo Giulia at the back that morphs into melted terribleness at the front. The front headlights and grille look like they have slid down the front of the car.

The hatchback is hideous front and back so at least this is half of an improvement! If Merc's new design language is "triangles" like on the CLS its really disappointing.
 
With the exception of the finned diffuser treatment, that posterior really is kind of fantastic. Wheels are pushed back nicely to give it an aggressive look without it coming off stubby.
 
With the exception of the finned diffuser treatment, that posterior really is kind of fantastic.

Perhaps the rear end of the non-AMG Line is almost your idea of perfection
2019-mercedes-benz-a-class-sedan.jpg
 
Perhaps the rear end of the non-AMG Line is almost your idea of perfection
2019-mercedes-benz-a-class-sedan.jpg
Well you just hit the nail right on the nose now didn't you?

:lol:

I suspect the front end is still pretty wonky though.
 
Well you just hit the nail right on the nose now didn't you?

:lol:

I suspect the front end is still pretty wonky though.

Same as the hatch.

The front is a bit frumpy in photos but I'd rather make my judgement when I see it in real life.
 
Back