Driving the New Mercedes A-Class Sedan Won't Be a Drag

Slippery indeed.

giphy.gif

My first thought was... how is this record not held by something more sporty, but then I realized that presenting surfaces that create downforce probably contribute to a much higher drag coefficient. Still, I'm surprised that the record holder isn't a supercar with retractable aerodynamic surfaces.

The front end does seem just a little "odd" compared to the rest of the cars proportions. Almost as if it's slightly too small relative to the rest of car if that makes sense?

Either way, looks soo much better in saloon form, a hell of a lot less ugly.

It's an Alfa Romeo Giulia at the back that morphs into melted terribleness at the front. The front headlights and grille look like they have slid down the front of the car.

The hatchback is hideous front and back so at least this is half of an improvement! If Merc's new design language is "triangles" like on the CLS its really disappointing.

With the exception of the finned diffuser treatment, that posterior really is kind of fantastic. Wheels are pushed back nicely to give it an aggressive look without it coming off stubby.

Perhaps the rear end of the non-AMG Line is almost your idea of perfection
2019-mercedes-benz-a-class-sedan.jpg
Well you just hit the nail right on the nose now didn't you?

:lol:

I suspect the front end is still pretty wonky though.

Back