• 314 comments

Furinkazen

Sim Racing Organiser
Premium
United Kingdom
Blackburn
Furinkazen_54
logo_2011.gif

This weekend see's the start of the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship 2011. Jason Plato looks to hold the title he won last year, but Ford, Honda, BMW, and the rest look to front as well.

Teams for 2011:
2011-chevrolet-cruze-btcc-racer-front-angle-view.jpg

Silverline Chevrolet - Chevrolet Cruze
Alex Macdowell / Jason Plato

hon%20civic%20btcc%202011%20700.jpg

Honda Racing Team - Honda Civic (2010 livery shown)
Matt Neal / Gorden Shedden

2011-ford-focus-btcc.jpg

Team Aon / Global Ford Focus
Tom Chilton / Andy Neate

st_6561_a2ac.jpg

Team Airwaves / Ford Focus ST
Liam Griffin / Mat Jackson

WSR_BTCC_CAR_2011-640x250.jpg

WSR / BMW 320si
Rob Collard / Nick Foster

425148_63521-a-toy-300x200.jpg

Dynojet / Toyota Avensis
Frank Wrathall

audi2011BTCC.jpg

Rob Austin Racing / Audi A4 (CG Concept picture)
David Pinkney / ???

IMGP7220-615x410.jpg

Triple 888 Racing / Vauxhall Vectra
Tony Gilham / James Nash

Newsham_BMW_2011_artist_impression.jpg

Geoff Steel Racing / BMW 320si (artists pic)
David Newsham

main.php

Special Tuning Racing / Seat Leon Cupra
Tom Boardman

st_6606_d4a6.jpg

GoMobileUK.com with tech-speed / Chevrolet Cruze
John George / Paul O Neil

1297854757.jpg

Welch Automotive / Proton Gen 2 (Road car shown)
Daniel Welch

5090322179_2851424061.jpg

Central Group Racing / Honda Integra Type R (2010 car shown)
Lea Wood

Speedworks / Toyota Avensis (CG Image)
Tony Hughes

Chris_James_Chevrolet_Lacetti4.jpg

Team ES Racing / Chevrolet Lacetti
Chris James

5401468646_dd952810be.jpg

AMD Milltek Racing / VW Golf (2010 car shown)
Tom Onslow Cole

pirtek2011-640x250.jpg

Pirtek / Vauxhall Vectra (2010 car shown)
Andrew Jordan / Jeff Smith

http://www.btcc.net/html/racedates.php Race Dates

I can't wait - record entry... new cars, new drivers... BTCC is back and better than it has been arguably for 10 years since the fall of super touring. What do you guys think as we look ahead to the start of the 2011 season at Brands Hatch on Sunday?

IMGP7220-615x410.jpg

Aaaaargh! My eyes. Ze goggles, ze do nuthing.

Gilham certainly wins award for most eye catching car. :sly:

I see O'Neil and George at the sharp end. They did wonders with the Integra and the Chevrolet Cruze they might have a title shot.

I see O'Neil and George at the sharp end. They did wonders with the Integra and the Chevrolet Cruze they might have a title shot.
No disrepect to the Integra as it was a great car, but it'll be good to see what Paul O'Neill can do in a top car.

Shaping up to be a really interesting season.

The Audi and Toyota's interest me. Wonder if this could lead to a return to full time racing for Toyota?

Gonna be watching out for Josh Hill as he makes his step up to Formula Renault UK this year too! If he pulls off a few more moves like last year at Donington on live TV, he's definitely on the right track. 👍

Pleased that Onslow-Cole is still in the championship, Team Aon are a complete joke of a team - forcing Tom to give up victories and his championship challenge just for the family-backed man? Now signing a mediocre-at-best driver to replace him?

Also glad to see Paul O'Neil in some competitive machinery, a victory must be possible in the Cruze. Can't wait to see the new Audis too.

Impressive line up for this year. What cought my eyes is the use of 320si BMW. I thought they're all moving to 320TC for this season?

It's also nice to see Proton coming back to BTCC since 2004 with the Impian.

Impressive line up for this year. What cought my eyes is the use of 320si BMW. I thought they're all moving to 320TC for this season?

It's also nice to see Proton coming back to BTCC since 2004 with the Impian.

Hopefully no Farique Haruman...

I don't mind that Giovarnidi is missing (he's in DTCC), because I reckon that there is a strength in depth that the series hasn't had for years.

@BMW, I'll have to check, I might be wrong, it could be the 320TC

Hopefully no Farique Haruman...

I don't mind that Giovarnidi is missing (he's in DTCC), because I reckon that there is a strength in depth that the series hasn't had for years.

@BMW, I'll have to check, I might be wrong, it could be the 320TC

:lol:

Fariqe Hairuman is actually a good driver from what I've seen in the recent couple of years especially in endurance races. I didn't know what did he do in BTCC back in 2004 though. The Proton this year will be backed by Welch Automotive thus I don't think he will be here because the 2004 car was backed by Petronas (something in relation to their young drivers program).

I wish Thompson and Turkington would come back, but they're having too much fun in the STCC. But even so, I agree that the field this year is pretty decent quality. Several good Clio Cup and Ginetta G50 drivers have been promoted, and some of the experienced drivers have got better machinery (O'Neill, Boardman).
Not sure anyone will challenge Plato and Neal though, though Chilton shouldn't have any problems now Aon have disposed of his better teammate. :indiff:
I'm hopeful that Mat Jackson can challenge for the title this year with the old Fords, they should be more competitive than the older BMWs.

I hope Steven Kane ends up in the other Rob Austin A4. 👍

Last edited:
I still can't wait to see what O'Neill will do in that Cruze, and to see whether the old Focus is good enough for Jackson.

I can't see the BMW's being competitive at all this year.

I can't see the BMW's being competitive at all this year.

Me neither. We probably have seen what the 320TC can do in WTCC but if they're racing the 320si this year I don't think they can go any further. Let's hope that it's just a mistake saying they all will be using 320si...

Does anybody else find it odd that the Audis are RWD? Especially considering Audi havn't made a rear-drive road car in decades.

Also this vid I showed Ardius a while ago at least tells us they won't sound completely boring like the NGTC cars last year.

Does anybody else find it odd that the Audis are RWD? Especially considering Audi havn't made a rear-drive road car in decades.

Also this vid I showed Ardius a while ago at least tells us they won't sound completely boring like the NGTC cars last year.

Thats sound awesome but edited.

Gonna be watching out for Josh Hill as he makes his step up to Formula Renault UK this year too! If he pulls off a few more moves like last year at Donington on live TV, he's definitely on the right track. 👍

Pleased that Onslow-Cole is still in the championship, Team Aon are a complete joke of a team - forcing Tom to give up victories and his championship challenge just for the family-backed man? Now signing a mediocre-at-best driver to replace him?

Also glad to see Paul O'Neil in some competitive machinery, a victory must be possible in the Cruze. Can't wait to see the new Audis too.

Apparently Chilton's Dad is Vice-Chairman (or president, can't remember which) of Aon, which I hadn't realised.

As for the Audi's being RWD, they asked for special permission as they couldn't fit the gearbox in with the longitudinal engine (I think).

Yup, thats why I refer to Chilton as the "family-backed man". I still can't believe that team were willing to throw away Onslow-Cole's championship chances just so Chilton can have some race wins and now they've gone and sacked him. 👎 You would have thought the team would prefer to celebrate a championship than give wins to the favoured son, but clearly not.

Indeed, but I no longer hold much respect for that team anymore nor Tom Chilton. I have no problem with team orders for the benefit of the championship, especially in a situation like last year where Arena were struggling to get the results and only one driver was really in it. But to use team orders like that makes no sense except for some petty need for the "right" driver to win.
I accept that I can't have one without the other happening, but I can choose who I respect and cheer...certainly not the Arena team anymore.

I wish Thompson and Turkington would come back, but they're having too much fun in the STCC. But even so, I agree that the field this year is pretty decent quality. Several good Clio Cup and Ginetta G50 drivers have been promoted, and some of the experienced drivers have got better machinery (O'Neill, Boardman).
Not sure anyone will challenge Plato and Neal though, though Chilton shouldn't have any problems now Aon have disposed of his better teammate. :indiff:
I'm hopeful that Mat Jackson can challenge for the title this year with the old Fords, they should be more competitive than the older BMWs.

I hope Steven Kane ends up in the other Rob Austin A4. 👍

Turks has said he will be back at some point. He hopes to do some rounds that don;'t clash with the STCC, which is quite a few. Thompson the same but both are budget permitting!

Can't wait for this weekend!!

Indeed, but I no longer hold much respect for that team anymore nor Tom Chilton. I have no problem with team orders for the benefit of the championship, especially in a situation like last year where Arena were struggling to get the results and only one driver was really in it. But to use team orders like that makes no sense except for some petty need for the "right" driver to win.
I accept that I can't have one without the other happening, but I can choose who I respect and cheer...certainly not the Arena team anymore.

Yeah, I was fully behind Aon up until they forced Onslow-Cole to cede to Chilton. Not sure who I'm going to back this year.

There are a few good choices still left about in the midfield, my faves will be Jackson/Airwaves, O'Neill/Tech-speed, Collard/WSR and Onslow-Cole/Milltek. Will of course watch all the newbies with interest.

Hope they do OiF1, both of them are dearly missing from this series!

So today we'll find out whether the Chevys have been sand bagging in testing. If they haven't be prepared for Plato to start complaining about engine power like he did with the Fords last year.

I'm hoping O'Neill, Jackson and my local driver Andrew Jordan can get good grid slots for R1 tomorrow.

Well I am going to try and follow the BTCC for the first time since its TOCA days. I will be going to watch the race at Oulton Park as usual also. 👍

Well I am going to try and follow the BTCC for the first time since its TOCA days. I will be going to watch the race at Oulton Park as usual also. 👍

Same here. Hopefully it can return to its glory days.

Well looks like Flash is already out for the weekend.

Back