Dunlop MSA BTCC 2011

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 314 comments
I still can't beleive the ITV4HD program showing the BTCC tomorrow is 6 and a half hours long, amazing! :D I wonder what other races will get shown during the show.

Renault Clio Cup, Ginetta G50, Ginetta Juniors, Formula Renault UK and Porsche Supercup. 👍 We also get Formula Ford when the Formula Renaults are away at the Silverstone World Series meeting.
All of them are just as good to watch as BTCC too! I've been loving this ITV coverage the past few years, you've missed out! Ginetta Juniors is sometimes even more rough than the Plato/Neal fights!

Its awesome to have all this coverage of support races, I don't think there is any other category worldwide that has TV coverage for all support races live!

I still can't beleive the ITV4HD program showing the BTCC tomorrow is 6 and a half hours long, amazing! :D I wonder what other races will get shown during the show.
Last year, they basically showed the whole meeting with the Ginetta, Clio & Porsche Supecup races. I assume it'll be roughly the same this year.

Tree'd

Renault Clio Cup, Ginetta G50, Ginetta Juniors, Formula Renault UK and Porsche Supercup. 👍
All of them are just as good to watch as BTCC too! I've been loving this ITV coverage the past few years, you've missed out! Ginetta Juniors is sometimes even more rough than the Plato/Neal fights!

Isn't their a new series for the Ginetta G55?

Phew, I thought I wouldn't get back in time! Took me 40 mins to get out of a shopping centre underground car park.

Any news on Flash's car?

I think the S2000 cars will be in trouble at places like Snetterton this year, they are already down 4-5 mph on the turbo cars this weekend on the main straight.

Remember that Snetterton has a new layout this year, still a quick circuit, but not quite as quick as it was.

Yeah but it still probably has the biggest straights of all the circuits in the calender.

Snetterton-aerial-shot.jpg

The infield is quite small though, and will favout the nimbler cars. I can imagine T-OC's Golf flying through that section.

Well, nobody deserves to fail the ride height test more than Chilton.

Well watching the live stream, he's had his times wiped so he's got ~ 10 mins to set a new laptime. Can't say I'd be unhappy if he didn't qualify.

I liked him back in the Arena Star Wars sponsored Civic, but I lost all respect for them last year.

Nice bit of impromptu drifting from JP there.

I think the Chilton hate rejime was fully triggered last year (although there has been some hate against him for a few years now) when Team Aon (who I believe Chilton's father is Vice Chairman of) favoured him over Tom Onslow-Cole, even though he was no-where near being in with a shot of the title in the final two rounds, as opposed to Onslow-Cole...who was!

Anyway, I hope Tom O-C does well in that little Golf, although it conking out on the main straight wasn't a good sign!

The 320si BMWs are well in the mid and the back of the grid. As expected, it just can no longer perform like they were suppose to be. Does anyone know will they run the 320TC somewhere in the season?

Probably not, as all the entries that are running BMWs are not big teams (except WSR although they don't have oodles of money), the whole reason they are running the 320si in the first place is because they don't have the funds to buy an NGTC car like the Avensis or buy a newer ex-works car like the Cruze or Focus.

Anyway, great job from Andrew Jordan to get the Vauxhall up there with Plato and Neal! The Pirtek Racing Vectras seem pretty fast! I hope he can keep the title fight interesting this year!
Shame the NGTC Avensis cars are not competitive yet, but they are driven by rookies in rookie teams. They also didn't manage any setup work in the practice sessions, give them some time to sort themselves out.

Qualifying Times
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Matt Neal Honda 48.210s
2. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Vauxhall 48.465s + 0.255s
3. Jason Plato Chevrolet 48.583s + 0.373s
4. James Nash Triple 8 Vauxhall 48.623s + 0.413s
5. Alex MacDowall Chevrolet 48.658s + 0.448s
6. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 48.667s + 0.457s
7. Tom Chilton Arena Ford 48.668s + 0.458s
8. Tom Boardman Special Tuning SEAT 48.752s + 0.542s
9. Paul O'Neill Tech-Speed Chevrolet 48.849s + 0.639s
10. Andy Neate Arena Ford 49.036s + 0.826s
11. Tony Gilham Triple 8 Vauxhall 49.045s + 0.835s
12. Rob Collard WSR BMW 49.130s + 0.920s
13. Jeff Smith Eurotech Vauxhall 49.176s + 0.966s
14. Liam Griffin Motorbase Ford 49.220s + 1.010s
15. Dave Newsham Geoff Steel BMW 49.248s + 1.038s
16. Tom Onslow-Cole AmD Volkswagen 49.540s + 1.330s
17. Nick Foster WSR BMW 49.587s + 1.377s
18. John George Tech-Speed Chevrolet 50.065s + 1.855s
19. Chris James ES Chevrolet 51.169s + 2.959s
20. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 51.449s + 3.239s
21. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota 51.736s + 3.526s
22. Gordon Shedden Honda

As Brands Hatch Indy is such a small circuit, its misguiding to look at the times and think wow they are so close. A tenth at this track is a lot of time, 3 seconds is astounding.

Nash and Jackson look poised to surprise too.

Ardius I can't remember who the company are by name but are the people who built the Avensii(:P) of any decent repute? Or is solely down to inexperienced teams and drivers not able to get the most out of the car?

Its produced by GPR Motorsport. This page should explain who they are sufficiently:
http://www.gpr-motorsport.com/companyhistory.php
;)

As I said, I believe the reason they are so far off the pace is simply new car, new teams, new drivers. Not a combination you expect to be fast straight out of the box and especially not if they missed so much practice time like they did, so they don't even have optimum setups. Wrathall was fast in Ginettas, Hughes not so much. I think we can expect more from them later in the season, much better than that anyway.

By the way, if anyone wants to watch live timing of the BTCC and support races, you can find it here:
http://www.tsl-timing.com/
They also record and store the results from all sessions including test sessions. 👍

Last edited:
I just thought that at least Wrathall would be decent, I knew Tony Hughes would be slow.

EDIT: Yes, GPR do have quite the resumé.

Back