Dying Light - Techland's other new game

• Thread starter MeanElf
  • 204 comments
United Kingdom
Solid Gone
MeanElf
With Dead Island: Riptide already out and Hellraid due by the end of the year, Techland have now announced Dying Light, an open world day/night cycle survival horror game with more zombies.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps4-news/354.html

It'll be on PS4 and XBOne (edited from original situation) as well as PC...but not on the Wii U. More will be announced at E3 👍

In-game weapons modding will also be present like the past games and it'll be out early next year.

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks for posting that up - I'd forgotten that I made this thread. Time to brush up on the parkour skills.

Only the one bit though...

I'd like to see what the more powerful zombies are like too - I'm guessing there will be several types.

From what I've read the levels are procedurally generated. I take it that its going to be Mirrors Edge with zombies and no two levels the same.

Link

I'm not sure if Dying Light will have procedurally generated levels, I know Daylight will. I mean, it is possible but I'll have to check on the site to be sure. It'd be great for replayability.

With both Mirror's Edge and Brink having brought forward viable movement systems, I'm hopeful that this will bring a lot more fluidity into it.

EDIT: word is that the levels will have randomly generated side missions, to help with the replayability.

Last edited:
Ah, the Techland thing - well, DI:R's trailer was pretty much as is, so maybe they've learned, though they did do the yacht one...

From the GameInformer bit though, it does sound very similar to the last trailer.

Double kudos to you - sweet gameplay, pretty impressed 👍

That night-time looks really well done too - I'd heard that equatorial nightfall falls fast, nice detail.

Last edited:
Looks amazing. 👍 I like that you can't just free roam at your own pace as there's limited daylight. And you don't seems to have unrealistically quick godlike reflexes that enables you to take on a horde, although you can parkour around buildings but that's for a means of escape. Looks like a proper zombie apocalypse during the day, and some I Am Legend stuff at night. Can't wait for the Let's Play videos as I'm too afraid to play this. :scared:

Color me skeptical, but the real problem with the dark is lack of vision and a flash light that lasts maybe 10 seconds, not whatever the zombies become. I wonder how long each cycle lasts in real time?

That is a good question. I got a bit miffed at FC3 when the night cycled through so quickly, especially after FC2 with a far longer night.

As the DI games never had night, it's difficult to say how Techland will do it - worth keeping an eye out for news. Hopefully at Gamescom.

In the meantime, there is the ability shown in the gameplay that gives some visibility in brief pulses and a few of the lights still seemed to be working.

Yeah, lots of good parkour fun to be had. I also like that the sunlight can temporarily blind you, though I'll probably hate it in the game; still, it looks amazing.

Looks like much more is done for the player by the game engine. You can only watch and enjoy.

The parkour animations look exactly like those of Mirror's Edge :lol:
I think they look closer to those of Brink which did learn from ME but expanded it a bit. If they're more fluid than both, I'll be happy :)

Double kudos to you - sweet gameplay, pretty impressed 👍

That night-time looks really well done too - I'd heard that equatorial nightfall falls fast, nice detail.
Thank you very much! 👍

Dying Light “Be the Zombie” Game Mode available exclusively for early purchasers

okr0vb.jpg

Gamingbolt
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced “Be the Zombie” mode for Dying Light, a reward for fans in North America who pre-order the upcoming action survival game. Reserving the game early is the only way at launch to get the mode which allows gamers to play as deadly predators and engage in the game’s only PvP mode.

The special “Be the Zombie” PvP game mode provides gamers the ability to stalk other players as a night hunter, a lethal predator with unique and deadly skills like superhuman speed, a tendril used to grapple around the game world, special charge and distance attacks, and more. As an extremely rare zombie mutation, the night hunter is an agile, fast and dangerous enemy who emerges nocturnally in order to prevent the destruction of Hives by killing humans.

By playing as a night hunter, gamers will earn experience points and develop the character through its own special skill tree, as well as earn other exclusive rewards and perks. This multiplayer mode gives players an entirely new way to experience the world of Dying Light on top of the story campaign.

I can see that being a lot of fun indeed. So, PvP multiplayer confirmed as well as co-op - cool.

Once again, you're the source dude.

There have been a few reviews of the demo mission so far, here is a new gameplay on the Xbox One though.

Looking intense.

Neat - okay, the guy playing is just having fun while talking, but looks like you'll need to keep an eye open for attack timings. Quite funny how quickly he died on the basis of a few bad choices.

I like the look of those special moved montaged in there at the end. Once again, thanks for finding this.

Back