E-Brake in GTA

• Thread starter vevoda
  • 83 comments

Ban E-Brake from GTA?

• Total voters
United States
Massachusetts
vevoda
A lot of people complain about the way people 'chuck in' the car, or rather, game the physics of GT in stead of real life technique but that is what it is. Seriously though, PD needs to ban the E-Brake from GTA, this isn't a rally and using it on track would likely kill you. Watch the top time's replays. They are curing understeer with it, setting up ridiculous lines, and losing time under braking. I race with past GTA finalists and they refer to this as "shenanigans". It would be hilarious to watch one of these guys jacking at an E-brake handle like it's their last fap ever for 1/3 of a lap; or in real life hitting it once and flying off the mountain.

Until then I'll just have to have the E-Brake mapped to my wheel to get the advantage that anyone who cant map wheel settings doesn't have :(

I do, and always will, drive as close to reality as I can in racing games. This means not using the E-brake for slowing down.

This is highly irritating, I bet that I can compete with any alien driver if they don't use the E-brake for cornering.

(This is also a thinly veiled challenge that I am throwing down.)

Haha! I forgot yanks call it an "E-Brake". I prefer to use the normal brakes in an emergency rather than something thats used to keep the car stationary whilst stopped/parked.

International quibbles aside and going to the point, this is one of the big beefs I have with GTA, To get into the top 25 it seems that some physics abuse is needed plus to nail it all in just one lap. I do give credit to those that brake into a sharp corner with a hint of oversteer to make the car turn as opposed to slide/drift or understeer and unsurprisingly they gain a well earned time with that technique. (well its sometimes doable with a hint of 4 wheel drift)

I even had to use this technique on GT1 for gold on a licence (no handbrake used):

One place in GTA where you would need this is on the hairpin at apricot hill (2nd GTA stage in the 370z), though I haven't checked if people are using the handbrake to help 'setup' this technique or are they just using the handbrake to keep the car under control in the corners via strange physics abuse?

On another note on the subject I wonder if using the handbrake to get a good time is frowned upon by the assessors for GTA to the point it could lead to a denied entry into the next stage? In which case I don't mind if the best times are done using some uber-ufo handbrake technique which would only work once :P

Personally I have never used the handbrake and have still found I can keep up, it just takes a lot longer to find those couple of tenths. With the current round, it is a minimal advantage if none at all. I have personal best sectors that are on par with the top 2 but stringing it together is a whole other story :lol:

The handbrake technique is and will continue to be an ongoing factor which influence the top times but full credit to them to be able to exploit and master that technique. :bowdown: Even if gta disabled handbrake in the future, you will find they will adapt and still produce the best under the conditions available to them. That's what aliens do :sly:

Using the handbrake during a real life race would be both irresponsible (potentially causing accidents) and unwise (increased tyre wear/stress) but during a hot lap situation I don't see the problem (no traffic/tyres only have to last one lap). There are some corners where you can either maintain a higher pace via touge style drifting or get improved rotation by locking the rear wheels, these are both realistic means of extracting pace.
The fastest drivers use all the means at their disposal to get the results, if you are getting hung up on your own preconceptions of what fair is then you will always struggle.
Look at Formula 1, every season one or more teams has some form of technical advantage that makes them faster or more effective than the rest of the cars, do they change because its unfair? No, of course not, unless the stewards say otherwise it is the other teams job to figure out what that advantage is and how to apply it to their own car.

Remeber, the poitn of GT Academy is to take virtual driving to reality. Would you use the E Brake in real racing?
Racing, no.
Qualifying, yes.
If the fastest lap depends on use of the handbrake then you'd be a fool not to use it. Its not just for hooligans in car parks, its a tried and true method of cornering when driving certain types of car on certain types of track. Might not be the technique for high powered GT3 style racers that work best on smooth inputs and downforce, but (relatively) low powered cars that can be thrown around respond well to more aggressive driving and it is often required to get the best laps.

Last edited:
A lot of people complain about the way people 'chuck in' the car, or rather, game the physics of GT in stead of real life technique but that is what it is. Seriously though, PD needs to ban the E-Brake from GTA, this isn't a rally and using it on track would likely kill you. Watch the top time's replays. They are curing understeer with it, setting up ridiculous lines, and losing time under braking. I race with past GTA finalists and they refer to this as "shenanigans". It would be hilarious to watch one of these guys jacking at an E-brake handle like it's their last fap ever for 1/3 of a lap; or in real life hitting it once and flying off the mountain.

Until then I'll just have to have the E-Brake mapped to my wheel to get the advantage that anyone who cant map wheel settings doesn't have :(

:lol: You're funny.

Who cares if it's wildly unrealistic? It's just a video game.

"E-Brake from GTA, this isn't a rally and using it on track would likely kill you"

As would underbraking, incorrect steering input and many other factors. If the people are using a wheel, which most in the top 1000 or so are and are using a handbrake, why can't they do so in real life?

Remeber, the poitn of GT Academy is to take virtual driving to reality. Would you use the E Brake in real racing?

No, but the point of GT Academy is to see how well and how quickly you can adapt to your surroundings.

If you're in the game and you gotta tap the e-brake/ chuck the car into corners to go faster, then do it. Of course usually hanbrakes aren't used in real life racing (Rally and Touge being the exceptions), but you gotta adapt.

I would prefer it if there was no handbrake option for GTA. I will use it if needed because I'm going for national finals, doesn't mean i like doing it. So far i haven't needed it.

Hello guys,

How much faster are the lap times using the handbrake?

I never used the handbrake for that purpose but if it can give me a true advantage I'll definitely use it.

So you're playing the REAL driving simulator using REALISTIC wheels and REALISTIC rigs, competing to be a REAL race car driver by exploiting a loophole in PD's physics engine...

3144474clarkson.gif

Hello guys,

How much faster are the lap times using the handbrake?

I never used the handbrake for that purpose but if it can give me a true advantage I'll definitely use it.

Maybe 0.1 seconds IF you know what you're doing.

If you banned the handbrake, we could still "exploit" the physics engine. And you all seem to be missing the point that PD aren't finding the best IRL drivers in the online qualifiers, their finding the best gamers, the people who can play the game the best.

@Azure Flare If you can compete with aliens when they aren't using the handbrake, then you are an alien, because as I said to Lopez, really doesn't gain you massive amounts of time, if any at all :)

Its funny to see all the posts about how the ebrake should be banned from guys who clearly don't have real life high performance driving experience. Do you know that most real ebrakes can be used WITHOUT locking the rear wheels? Most are nicely pressure sensitive just like the brake pedal. If you think learning to use the ebrake is going to massively improve your time then go learn how to use it. Then when you figure out that the ebrake is not why you can't hang with the fast guys you can learn from that and focus on your driving.
This what I wrote here last time someone here didn't like people using the ebrake because its not "realistic"-

You guys won't like to hear this but I use the ebrake quite often when competing in real life. Now I don't use it to lock the rear wheels mind you, but rather to add some additonal rear brake bias at times. It can tuck the front end in nicely in a understeer situation. Keep in mind also that the classes I race in, I can not alter the car's brake bias, so you have to use what's availble to you as a driver. Its not something for inexperienced people, you want to practice a lot in an empty lot first :) I have a whole lot of real life time in, 15+ years at this point. For me, it actually works even better in real life compared to GT6 because a real ebrake is not an on/off switch, but actually nicely pressure sensitive just like the brake pedal.

Last edited:
Maybe 0.1 seconds IF you know what you're doing.

If you banned the handbrake, we could still "exploit" the physics engine. And you all seem to be missing the point that PD aren't finding the best IRL drivers in the online qualifiers, their finding the best gamers, the people who can play the game the best.

@Azure Flare If you can compete with aliens when they aren't using the handbrake, then you are an alien, because as I said to Lopez, really doesn't gain you massive amounts of time, if any at all :)
Thanks Spurgy,
Then I have to find another way to improve my lap times :D

The guys who want the handbrake have developed an advantage which they don't want to lose its just racing same in any formula its down to PD to regulate the event. Its the same with chase view. Simulation to real life should be as close to real life as possible. Can you see pilots learning to fly from an outside view of a plane no of course not get real.

So you're playing the REAL driving simulator using REALISTIC wheels and REALISTIC rigs, competing to be a REAL race car driver by exploiting a loophole in PD's physics engine...

3144474clarkson.gif

ahahahahhahaha 👍 ! that's the point.

I do, and always will, drive as close to reality as I can in racing games. This means not using the E-brake for slowing down.

This is highly irritating, I bet that I can compete with any alien driver if they don't use the E-brake for cornering.

(This is also a thinly veiled challenge that I am throwing down.)

I wouldn't consider myself an alien, but on round 3 I have a 2:13.195 w/o any ebrake and I made quite a few mistakes. I can share my replay if you'd like. Have the splits for a mid-high 2:12 again without ebrake but haven't put one together.

If it was much faster, I'd say get over it and learn if you want to compete, but we don't even have to go there.

Anyone worried about it, do yourself a favor and don't even think about touching the ebrake. You can generate all the rotation you need with proper brake modulation, steering input, and line choice. If you're in 20th place in the world and ALL the top 10 replays use the ebrake, then you can start worrying about it.

No.

The point of GT Academy is to sell Nissan Road cars and to sell TV advertising in USA and Germany.

As a result, it was built around the most popular racing video game in the world which happens to have wonky physics. Either deal with the rules as written, or don't compete.

For those of you complaining about the ebrake, are you using cockpit view? And did you use the h pattern shifter and clutch with the z? And turn of all the displays and brake warnings, etc? For the most part, I'll assume not. As a result, using ebrake is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to things in GT6 that are not perfect emulations of real life. Stop nit picking on the one thing that you don't feel like adjusting to, simply because you're searching for excuses as to why you can't compete at a high level.

I agree with you to some point.
But I don't think you have to drive with almost everything off to complain about some of the top drivers using the handbrake.

If you don't like using the handbrake, then it is simple don't use it.
If you think using the handbrake will make you win GT Academy time trials then you're as wrong as people who blame their driving style on their set ups.

Last edited:
No.

The point of GT Academy is to sell Nissan Road cars and to sell TV advertising in USA and Germany.

As a result, it was built around the most popular racing video game in the world which happens to have wonky physics. Either deal with the rules as written, or don't compete.

For those of you complaining about the ebrake, are you using cockpit view? And did you use the h pattern shifter and clutch with the z? And turn of all the displays and brake warnings, etc? For the most part, I'll assume not. As a result, using ebrake is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to things in GT6 that are not perfect emulations of real life. Stop nit picking on the one thing that you don't feel like adjusting to, simply because you're searching for excuses as to why you can't compete at a high level.

haha nasty it's TEK3V, add my new PSN scrub, vevoda

Back