E-Brake in GTA

• Thread starter vevoda
  • 83 comments

Ban E-Brake from GTA?

• Total voters
I think there's 2 halves to this really. First of all you can't blame the handbrake for being whatever rank you are unless all the ranks above you are using it! So for the 3rd round that isn't the case, so whatever rank you are you can still improve on it. On this note though, personally I don't like it, and won't use it! In a combo where the handbrake gains a huge advantage I just wouldn't do that combo, which is why I sort of wouldn't mind it being banned as I would prefer that possibility of never happening, especially with GT Academy! But I don't blame people using it, if it's available and you want to use it or feel you have to then you fair enough.

There's also the issue of showing to the outside world the talent in the competition and I personally think if say Redbull wanted to run a competition and saw the use of the handbrake or Mazda or any company whatsoever they may have second thoughts about running it purely for that fact it does look a little arcadey, but then so do a few other things like extreme slip but that's just the environment we are in with GT. It's virtual, no risk and can try all sorts because of it!

Its funny to see all the posts about how the ebrake should be banned from guys who clearly don't have real life high performance driving experience. Do you know that most real ebrakes can be used WITHOUT locking the rear wheels? Most are nicely pressure sensitive just like the brake pedal. If you think learning to use the ebrake is going to massively improve your time then go learn how to use it. Then when you figure out that the ebrake is not why you can't hang with the fast guys you can learn from that and focus on your driving.
This what I wrote here last time someone here didn't like people using the ebrake because its not "realistic"-

You guys won't like to hear this but I use the ebrake quite often when competing in real life. Now I don't use it to lock the rear wheels mind you, but rather to add some additonal rear brake bias at times. It can tuck the front end in nicely in a understeer situation. Keep in mind also that the classes I race in, I can not alter the car's brake bias, so you have to use what's availble to you as a driver. Its not something for inexperienced people, you want to practice a lot in an empty lot first :) I have a whole lot of real life time in, 15+ years at this point. For me, it actually works even better in real life compared to GT6 because a real ebrake is not an on/off switch, but actually nicely pressure sensitive just like the brake pedal.
Couldn't have said it better myself! 👍

I voted yes, but uh, I don't really care, fast guys are and always will be fast, with or without ebrake :D

Every GTAcademy the same threads tend to repeat themselves :lol:

The time spent arguing about what the top guys are doing to stay up top or get to the top would be better spent trying to see how you can use said techniques to your advantage. Everyone is given the same set of tools. No one has an unfair advantage. You're either fast enough to make the cut or you aren't. Whatever tools/techniques you use along the way is totally up to you as long as they're within the rules. It's like having a cage death match with a variety of weapons at your disposal, only to get mad at the guy who's winning because he's better with the axe than you are with the sword :lol:

That being said. Ever since the first GT Academy after the switch from GT5P's physics, getting to the top of the leaderboard in GT was all about exploiting the physics. I never really liked it, but if you're gonna compete at the top level you're gonna have to adapt to it. As Bill said, it's just a marketing tool. Nissan really doesn't care about how the times are achieved and they care even less about the feelings of those who don't make the cut. Your best bet is to keep your head down and keep putting those laps in.

Given that you can achieve much the same effect by simply slamming down through the gears, I don't get what banning it would achieve.

And until they incorporate engine damage, dropping gears and locking the engine at redline will continue to be a technique. Even when they do incorporate engine damage, people will simply only do it as much as it takes to not quite break the engine.

It's a game with a serious prize at stake. The point is to see how far you can exploit the system. Just as in real life, you are expected to take any and every advantage that you can, no matter whether it fits within whatever moral code you've decided to assign yourself.

Losers make excuses as to why they could have been the best too, if only whatever wasn't holding them back. Winners get on with the business of winning.

Personally, I think the entire physics system of GTA promotes a wildly unrealistic driving style. I don't care, if that's what they want me to do to get into GTA then I'll do it. If they want me to set laps in Wipeout too, or show them how good I am at Pong, or send them cat memes, then fine.

GTA isn't about learning to drive. Either you know that or you don't already. It's about showing that you give enough of a 🤬 about working hard to earn your place there.

Racing, no.
Qualifying, yes.
If the fastest lap depends on use of the handbrake then you'd be a fool not to use it. Its not just for hooligans in car parks, its a tried and true method of cornering when driving certain types of car on certain types of track. Might not be the technique for high powered GT3 style racers that work best on smooth inputs and downforce, but (relatively) low powered cars that can be thrown around respond well to more aggressive driving and it is often required to get the best laps.
Qualifying laps don't exist isolated from races.
Given that you can achieve much the same effect by simply slamming down through the gears, I don't get what banning it would achieve.

And until they incorporate engine damage, dropping gears and locking the engine at redline will continue to be a technique. Even when they do incorporate engine damage, people will simply only do it as much as it takes to not quite break the engine.

It's a game with a serious prize at stake. The point is to see how far you can exploit the system. Just as in real life, you are expected to take any and every advantage that you can, no matter whether it fits within whatever moral code you've decided to assign yourself.

Losers make excuses as to why they could have been the best too, if only whatever wasn't holding them back. Winners get on with the business of winning.

Personally, I think the entire physics system of GTA promotes a wildly unrealistic driving style. I don't care, if that's what they want me to do to get into GTA then I'll do it. If they want me to set laps in Wipeout too, or show them how good I am at Pong, or send them cat memes, then fine.

GTA isn't about learning to drive. Either you know that or you don't already. It's about showing that you give enough of a 🤬 about working hard to earn your place there.

This is very cynical.

This is very cynical.

Start playing games or any sport competitively. This is what is required to win at high levels, simply because if you don't play this way you'll lose to someone who does. If there are legal "exploits" that gain you time, then some people will use them. If you choose not to, you will always lose to those people, because they can do everything you can AND they can "exploit".

Note that I'm talking about stuff that is possible within the physics system but may not be physically realistic, as opposed to outright hacks. Hacking the game code may make you go faster, but will just get you banned when they review your replay. Finding an edge case in the physics and manipulating that into a faster time will at worst get leaderboards reset.

Anyone who is interested in the mindset can read more in David Sirlin's posts on Playing to Win, starting here:

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/beginners-guide.html

It's the best single point reference for people looking to take their game to the next level. Sirlin was a top level Street Fighter player, but the mental attitude applies to pretty much any competitive game.

The kinds of mental blocks that hold people back are particularly prevalent in sim racing, because we all spend a lot of time trying to pretend we're racing real cars. If you let go of that and simply concentrate on going as fast as possible by whatever means necessary spectacular things can happen.

This is not for everyone. For many people, the fun of keeping the simulation "intact" is more valuable than the small chance of winning. But for anyone serious about trying to get into GTA, do not be held back by the fact that GT6 isn't that realistic in some ways.

Do what you've got to do in whatever way you have to do it, and you'll walk to the finals over the bodies of those who stuck to their sim ideals.

Start playing games or any sport competitively. This is what is required to win at high levels, simply because if you don't play this way you'll lose to someone who does. If there are legal "exploits" that gain you time, then some people will use them. If you choose not to, you will always lose to those people, because they can do everything you can AND they can "exploit".

Note that I'm talking about stuff that is possible within the physics system but may not be physically realistic, as opposed to outright hacks. Hacking the game code may make you go faster, but will just get you banned when they review your replay. Finding an edge case in the physics and manipulating that into a faster time will at worst get leaderboards reset.

Anyone who is interested in the mindset can read more in David Sirlin's posts on Playing to Win, starting here:

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/beginners-guide.html

It's the best single point reference for people looking to take their game to the next level. Sirlin was a top level Street Fighter player, but the mental attitude applies to pretty much any competitive game.

The kinds of mental blocks that hold people back are particularly prevalent in sim racing, because we all spend a lot of time trying to pretend we're racing real cars. If you let go of that and simply concentrate on going as fast as possible by whatever means necessary spectacular things can happen.

This is not for everyone. For many people, the fun of keeping the simulation "intact" is more valuable than the small chance of winning. But for anyone serious about trying to get into GTA, do not be held back by the fact that GT6 isn't that realistic in some ways.

Do what you've got to do in whatever way you have to do it, and you'll walk to the finals over the bodies of those who stuck to their sim ideals.

There's plenty of players I race with who don't do these things - they tend to be the ones who play as an extension of their interest in real motorsports.

i have watched plenty of 15.0 to 15.5's that dont use the e brake so imo its not an advantage, just an alternative to perfecting corner speed. Im at 16.5 right now and know i have atleast a 15.5 in me, just need to stop forgetting to breathe once im half way through a good lap.

No matter what your style, we all have the same car. If your chosen line is perfect, and you carry the max speed possible the whole lap, you will be number one. Its a simple concept, the focus and ability is the hard part.

Btw i dont use the e brake :P imo anyone using the e brake through a corner, could have got the same result w/o it had their line and entry speed been better.

i have watched plenty of 15.0 to 15.5's that dont use the e brake so imo its not an advantage, just an alternative to perfecting corner speed. Im at 16.5 right now and know i have atleast a 15.5 in me, just need to stop forgetting to breathe once im half way through a good lap.

No matter what your style, we all have the same car. If your chosen line is perfect, and you carry the max speed possible the whole lap, you will be number one. Its a simple concept, the focus and ability is the hard part.

Btw i dont use the e brake :P imo anyone using the e brake through a corner, could have got the same result w/o it had their line and entry speed been better.
That's faulty logic I'm afraid. What if using the e-brake is giving otherwise incompetent players an advantage, putting them higher up than THEY would otherwise be. Imagine if a bunch of fat people came 2, 8 and 12 in a marathon after taking some wonder pill. Would that mean doping up is just An 'alternative'? The logic is the same.

In other words 'anyone' using ebrake MIGHT NOT have got the same result otherwise - which is the problem under discussion, not that the ebrake necessarily means EVERYONE will go faster.

That's faulty logic I'm afraid. What if using the e-brake is giving otherwise incompetent players an advantage, putting them higher up than THEY would otherwise be. Imagine if a bunch of fat people came 2, 8 and 12 in a marathon after taking some wonder pill. Would that mean doping up is just An 'alternative'? The logic is the same.

In other words 'anyone' using ebrake MIGHT NOT have got the same result otherwise - which is the problem under discussion, not that the ebrake necessarily means EVERYONE will go faster.

I don't think that's a concern, an ebrake advantage in one or two corners would not make up for being even a few hundredths off the pace in every other corner.

Qualifying laps don't exist isolated from races.

This is very cynical.

Why would they need to be, and have you not heard of time attack events?

No, because the "wonder pill" is illegal, all forms of doping are in competitive sports, no ifs, ands or buts. They'd just retroactively change the rules to ban that specific drug if somebody did that, before you come up with some crazy hypothetical argument. The handbrake is not illegal, and has been used in previous PD organised events so they've already had ample opportunity to ban it. There's nothing else beyond that until it is banned in GT Academy.

I remember hearing @BanditKarter22 saying something about the organizers letting him use the handbrake during national finals last year. I could be wrong though.
Yeah, they noticed me using it but didn't stop me. I guess unless they say there's a specific rule against it then feel free to use it! :)

I have an answer to end this debate: real life should copy GT6.

On a real car someone needs to mount a button on the steering wheel that activates the handbrake.

Now real racers can enjoy the same advantages as virtual ones. 👍

There, problem fixed, you're welcome. :P

I have an answer to end this debate: real life should copy GT6.

On a real car someone needs to mount a button on the steering wheel that activates the handbrake.

Now real racers can enjoy the same advantages as virtual ones. 👍

There, problem fixed, you're welcome. :P
The function of a handbrake is to independently operate the rear brakes, racing drivers have access to on-the-fly brake bias adjustments. Simply send all the power to the rear brakes and ta-daa! Life imitates GT6!
What an age we live in

I'm such a rebel! ;)

2012 they did mention it though which is why I posted about it in the past :P! They literally stopped everyone and said something like 'The only thing you can touch on the steering wheel is the camera change' something like that at least anyway!

2012 they did mention it though which is why I posted about it in the past :P! They literally stopped everyone and said something like 'The only thing you can touch on the steering wheel is the camera change' something like that at least anyway!

They shouldn't let you change the camera cockpit view all the way. Is anyone at race camp not driving from inside the car :irked:

Didn't that make steering and gear changing difficult? :P

They shouldn't let you change the camera cockpit view all the way. Is anyone at race camp not driving from inside the car :irked:

Cockpit view only ? Might as well shifter and clutch only and no ABS like in Sega F355 Challenge in expert mode - handbrake - I don't remember it has one, never used it, it would not be wise :lol: :P PD should do that :D :lol:

Latest Posts

Back