E-Brake in GTA

• Thread starter vevoda
  • 83 comments

Ban E-Brake from GTA?

• Total voters
Cockpit view only ? Might as well shifter and clutch only and no ABS like in Sega F355 Challenge in expert mode - handbrake - I don't remember it has one, never used it, it would not be wise :lol: :P PD should do that :D :lol:

No abs is a given. Shifter and a clutch I'd sign up for that :cheers:

I got called a cheat for using it by Adam :lol: I guess he watched my round 2 replay and seen me using it when i over shot the 1st corner.
But seriously, how can it be a cheat if everyone has the choice to use it.

I got called a cheat for using it by Adam :lol: I guess he watched my round 2 replay and seen me using it when i over shot the 1st corner.
But seriously, how can it be a cheat if everyone has the choice to use it.
Exactly, it's pretty useful for the national finals if you overshoot a corner and need to reach the apex easier! :)

Last time I checked, Full race cars(with the exception of Drift and Rally) do not have Hand/E/parking brakes, whatever you chose to call it.
As mentioned a stock handbrake usually doesn't even lock up the rear wheels. The ones used in Rally are hydraulic, I assume the same for drifting.

But what finally drove me crazy enough to resopond, was when I finally tried the Senna kart challenge last night. I saw this thread and thought about it during a run. So I decided to give my Hand Brake a tap. Guess what happened... So I decided to hold it, no need to say what happened...

I know someones gonna say well they are rear Brake only. And they are right. But there is no lever to pull or a way to hold it stationary with no driver.

They have implimented specific shift patterns for cars(wheel drivers with H pattern shifters and clutchs.)

So I say all Karts and Race cars should have the Hand Brake disabled...

Senna didnt have one...

I can see the first turn needing it and maybe the last two turns it could be a trick. I could see maybe as much as a couple of tenths if used skillfully but I am so far behind from the other turns so that stuff is just something to kick around. I still have over 2 seconds to widdle away at before I start looking at the "dark arts" for my excuses.

Why would they need to be, and have you not heard of time attack events?

No, because the "wonder pill" is illegal, all forms of doping are in competitive sports, no ifs, ands or buts. They'd just retroactively change the rules to ban that specific drug if somebody did that, before you come up with some crazy hypothetical argument. The handbrake is not illegal, and has been used in previous PD organised events so they've already had ample opportunity to ban it. There's nothing else beyond that until it is banned in GT Academy.
You've completely misunderstood what I was saying. And I don't know how to make it clearer

You've completely misunderstood what I was saying. And I don't know how to make it clearer

Nice of you to stop just short of calling me an idiot, while neatly dodging my point, so I'll make it clearer for you: the organisers have no issue with it, so your purely hypothetical arguments are pointless and irrelevant.

Edit: Just to make sure that you understand me, I'm taking exception to you implying that people are qualifying purely from using the handbrake, and that it's somehow unfair. Until there's a ruling otherwise, everything is fair.

Last edited:
Nice of you to stop just short of calling me an idiot, while neatly dodging my point, so I'll make it clearer for you: the organisers have no issue with it, so your purely hypothetical arguments are pointless and irrelevant.

Edit: Just to make sure that you understand me, I'm taking exception to you implying that people are qualifying purely from using the handbrake, and that it's somehow unfair. Until there's a ruling otherwise, everything is fair.

I said that the ability to use an e-brake and the ability to set a fast lap time without an e-brake are not necessarily correlated, which your previous post implied were. My point was that therefore many drivers with fast times who used an e-brake would have slower lap times without an ebrake. The implication of what I said was that given the particular relation of GT Academy and real driving, and the unrealistic nature of using the ingame ebrake, that this gave drivers who were less relevantly competent an advantage. Then you started redefining fairness...

I said that the ability to use an e-brake and the ability to set a fast lap time without an e-brake are not necessarily correlated, which your previous post implied were. My point was that therefore many drivers with fast times who used an e-brake would have slower lap times without an ebrake. The implication of what I said was that given the particular relation of GT Academy and real driving, and the unrealistic nature of using the ingame ebrake, that this gave drivers who were less relevantly competent an advantage. Then you started redefining fairness...
The handbrake does not give a significant advantage, if any at all when used in this final time trial. People who make the finals will make it because they're more determined than people of a similar skill level. This whole thread is a waste of time to be honest, if you want to find a tenth or 2,(which is the most the handbrake could possibly gain on some combinations), then stop wasting time arguing about how much advantage it gives, and get out practicing. The time spent writing this I could've learned more and improved my time if I wanted, you can do the same. 👍

You've yet to provide any proof that people are gaining an unfair advantage from using it at all, can you not use the handbrake then? What about your thread about FFB (relevant, considering it is a method many will be using on GT Academy), can you not turn yours down? Also, what Bandit said, especially that the handbrake is worth hardly any time and that you could stop bitching and use this time to learn. BTW, the best way to drive is to learn to rotate the car with throttle control and trail braking.

The handbrake does not give a significant advantage, if any at all when used in this final time trial. People who make the finals will make it because they're more determined than people of a similar skill level. This whole thread is a waste of time to be honest, if you want to find a tenth or 2,(which is the most the handbrake could possibly gain on some combinations), then stop wasting time arguing about how much advantage it gives, and get out practicing. The time spent writing this I could've learned more and improved my time if I wanted, you can do the same. 👍

If it has no advantage why do players use it? Why, if it has no advantage do you say it might cause a .200 advantage?

If it has no advantage why do players use it? Why, if it has no advantage do you say it might cause a .200 advantage?
It offers no advantage on this combo. Some drivers prefer to use it because it's their style, it's simply an alternative way to rotate the car on the way into a corner. On other combos it can offer a small advantage.

I don't really want to repeat what I said before.

Just what I'd expect somebody with no valid argument to say. I'm happy to repeat, you have offered no proof it gives any advantage, or that it makes the slow faster, or (as you implied) that only a few people could do it (those last two don't go together, you know). I eagerly await you dodging it again. :P

Remeber, the poitn of GT Academy is to take virtual driving to reality. Would you use the E Brake in real racing?

The top 100 guys are probably still fast without it and obviously wouldn't use it in real life.

I just want to add a small Fact to the discussion: The fastest guy in the World is Immortal and he does not use the handbrake. 👍

Now can we please end this debate before it escalates to a flame war. :scared:

Thank You. :)

I just want to add a small Fact to the discussion: The fastest guy in the World is Immortal and he does not use the handbrake. 👍

Now can we please end this debate before it escalates to a flame war. :scared:

Thank You. :)

True, but he does use aggressive downshifting for a similar effect which would really anger your teams engine mechanics in real life ;)

I started using that technique too and its certainly helped my times.

2 points though.

1 - Its a competition on a video game - people can and should push to the very limits of the rules (just like in real life) to win. Realism doesn't matter, only winning does.

2 - Whether you e-brake or engine brake all you're really doing is making up for the fact that you can't adjust brake bias or other aspects of car setup as you would be able to in real life. Loose is fast as they say and the fastest drivers almost always prefer a car balanced towards slight oversteer than understeer. So in a way, its not so unrealistic. A pushy qualifying setup is unrealistic to begin with :)

You can use the handbrake in game but the program want a smooth quick lap not physics abuse
The physics are awful, they've got worse but it's always the case when they try and better something because of expectation. GT6 is more like arcade now than anything they've ever come up with. Regarding the handbrake by the way I noticed in 2008 that you could rotate the rear end of the car at the the slowest speed into the apex. One of my reasons for justifying using it is if I was really driving this car I wouldn't entertain having a setup like that I would change it to the turn in oversteer required to get the nose in better, even if I had to compromise rear grip, so because its not real I can't do that so hence I use the handbrake instead...because I can. This is game is far from real, angling the wheel and controlling throttle and brake techniques and learning racing lines and judgement of speed is why these guys can drive real racing cars but the handling is a million miles away.

"E-brake in GT Academy is unrealistic".

GT is unrealistic.
yes, the cars feel as light as a feather even with maximum force feedback and the tyres are awful, they don't even feel as though they're made of rubber. The top times are achieved but finding the best tricks on every corner but not in the same way of real cars. In real motorsport drivers tend to have a preferred driving style and try to mould the car setup so that they can drive the line they would prefer through corners, they don't sit on the limit of every corner on every kerb waiting to be thrown off into the fence. Reactive drivers are usually slower than pro-active drivers anyway.

i found e-brake faster i 4WD cars as they understeer badly but i dind RWD cars faster without it but it doesnt really matter if uuse itor not doesnt really make u faster

Back