EA Teases the Next Need for Speed Game

I would like to see another hot pursuit honestly. From the teaser it doesn't look like it.

I wouldn't mind seeing "be the cop" mode return to the franchise either. I just hope to see the gameplay involve cops more, it is the one thing that NFS has that no one is really doing it.

Funny that you mention that. I liked the be the cop mode in the few games where it showed up. The only problem is, those games that had be the cop mode also had straight up races on dedicated routes (no free roam). EA seems to want to keep as many of their games free roam as possible. And no matter how good the graphics look, it's going to be a hard sell for a MW2012 version of the franchise on PS5/XSX at the normal price as today's current games.

Are those images real or from the game? Because other than the "work in progress" label I can't tell the difference

I think that's the point. :sly:

Funny that you mention that. I liked the be the cop mode in the few games where it showed up. The only problem is, those games that had be the cop mode also had straight up races on dedicated routes (no free roam). EA seems to want to keep as many of their games free roam as possible. And no matter how good the graphics look, it's going to be a hard sell for a MW2012 version of the franchise on PS5/XSX at the normal price as today's current games.

I think it could work in free roam, Rivals got that working where cop players could seamless drop in to chase you mid race.

I think it could work in free roam, Rivals got that working where cop players could seamless drop in to chase you mid race.

Sadly in Heat, the cops don't chase you for even speeding. That got you picked on for practically every other NFS game in the franchise. EA has to be seeing some sales fluctuations or drops in sales due to them just phoning in these games.

Sadly in Heat, the cops don't chase you for even speeding. That got you picked on for practically every other NFS game in the franchise. EA has to be seeing some sales fluctuations or drops in sales due to them just phoning in these games.

Heat cops AI is just poorly done, I don't mind the difficulty of it initially but the cops just don't scale with the late game cars. Even if they spot you during late game, you will lost them in seconds. I don't mind them not busting the players if they speed, Heat cops just felt useless for a good chunk of the game.

I think the sales is probably still doing well enough despite the quality of recent games, considering the backlash of Payback and we still get another game instead of having the studio shut instantly. The team that did Mass Effect Andromeda pretty much got killed instantly. Also Ghost Games was struggling to find more employees to work in Gothenburg in the past few years, it is why the switch to Criterion Games happen and EA probably hoping to get more people to work on it to make a better game.

When I saw that 180SX, my brain immediately screamed 'PROSTREET!'

I haven't properly enjoyed an NFS game since MW2012. NFS2015 was a low point for me: Payback was better (if a bit poorly designed game wise) and from what I've heard of Heat, the games are gradually improving. Having said that, ProStreet was my favourite post-Underground NFS as well as HP2010 so I have hopes.

I just can't understand it, every attempt to make a better game and "listen to the fans" results in 1 step forward, 2 steps back. They make something great, then ruin the rest of it. Shift 1/2 was SMS baby and if PCARS 3 is going to in essence be a "Shift 3" then wth is this going to become?

I'm sick of the story modes, sick of the hipster vibes, sick of the "lets include every type of person and thing because we should include it" mentality and give us back something like Hot Pursuit or High Stakes or to a lesser extent, NFS Pro Street. Point to point racing against others or against cops, classic cars from the classic eras, not EVERYTHING needs to be super modern and bang up to date either car wise and for god sake MAKE ENGINE AUDIO SOUND DESIGN GREAT AGAIN!

I swear if they set a NFS game between 1984-2004 with all the cars from these eras it would be incredible, how I miss going from s-box to masterclass, Ford Fiesta to XJ220, Fiat Punto to Mclaren F1, those were the days...and it's not even just a nostalgia thing either i legit thing an era specific period NFS game would do fantastically well to stand it out from the crowd of every racing game at the moment being super modern, hyper futuristic when lets be honest the last 10 years of cars pale in comparison to style and substance and originality and other wild and crazy stuff to the 10 years before that, and the 20 years before than too. Just my 2p..

They need to stop with the tuner scene vibe and go back to what made NFS great.

latest

517F9M0MWYL._AC_.jpg
That's all, nothing more to say.

The identity crisis thing among the community is dumb IMO. Gameplay is a much bigger concern than arguing over what kind of game nfs should be.

This is not an identity crisis, NFS has no community around it. Those who cared about the game, given up to follow it at some point, and there were two, who liked classic formula, and Underground "new" style.
I guess, that Need For Speed didn't gathered any fun base apart from this two fundamental generation. That means simple that a crowd nowadays doesn't have any idea or specific interest in certain game play, and developers don't want to go back for those who see it clear, because, may be, they see a risk of game being a financial failure. If there will be a certain theme, you can build a strong game play with it, if it's little this and that, then it's little bit of that and this in game play, without anything "overboard" and outstanding.

If EA could make it for both, see this in a simple way, making two games. One sandbox for Need For Speed classic, including fictional sprints and circuits, wide range of cars from different eras. The same as in every racing game, but with cops as AI or another players. So a player can sit there alone or in the lobby, and have racing fan. They could make it once and sell through whole console life span, selling DLCs and stuff.

The second game could be that usual next scheduled Most Wanted with great stories, deep tuning, realistic cop chases, or what ever they did in those Need For Speeds for past 10 years plus.

Outside from a few outliers (Underground, Prostreet, Shift), they never really left. Just about every NFS game is either heavily influenced or tries to build upon the original Hot Pursuit structure. Saying that "they need to go back to the classic era" is little more than an aesthetic choice at this point, and aesthetics aren't what's going to fix the series.
You also left out NFS: Porsche Unleashed, one of the best installments in the series IMO.

That brief clip looked amazing. That was the most realistic looking footage I've seen in any racing title. Hopefully, the game itself will do it justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
That brief clip looked amazing. That was the most realistic looking footage I've seen in any racing title. Hopefully, the game itself will do it justice.

Thank God there were at least a couple of people who noticed how incredible those visuals were.

Quite literal photorealism. So impressed.

If EA could make it for both, see this in a simple way, making two games. One sandbox for Need For Speed classic, including fictional sprints and circuits, wide range of cars from different eras. The same as in every racing game, but with cops as AI or another players. So a player can sit there alone or in the lobby, and have racing fan. They could make it once and sell through whole console life span, selling DLCs and stuff.

The second game could be that usual next scheduled Most Wanted with great stories, deep tuning, realistic cop chases, or what ever they did in those Need For Speeds for past 10 years plus.

They could squeeze both into one game unless you meant a NFS without open world?

Car variety is something most people wouldn't mind seeing it in NFS, the last NFS was heavily bias to supercars and most of them has multiple variants like back in HP2010 while muscle cars has no new addition and tuner cars got 3 new cars. The cop AI has been crap for most of this console generation, Rivals cops was brutal but it rely way too much on wacky gadgets. NFS 2015 cops is incompetent to the point the player is chasing the cop, Payback cops is just scripted events that the player automatically evade when they are 1km from their destination and Heat cops brutal initiall but pointless from mid game onwards.

I don't think players were annoyed with performance customization and visual customization after the Underground games has been an option.

Cop chases is still most fun in Most Wanted '05 because of how ridiculous it looks, having a pile of Corvette chasing you while ploughing through roadblocks of paper weight cops and dodging heavy SUV ramming you from the front is great fun. The gameplay mechanics supporting the cop chase activity is what makes it great, other NFS after that often have cops as random anoyance for the players to shake it off as quick as possible just so you can get back to the next race event for progression.

Great looking cars, but what are the odds they still won't have cockpit view?

And remember guys, NFS 2015 also looked photorealistic and amazing in trailers...until you played the game and the physics made you wanna smash your head against the nearest brick wall :banghead:

Yes I think the main problem with NFS is the physics, it's awful to play and you can't absolutely predict whether the car will steer or not. Aside from the dreadful story of payback I think there are some margins to do a better job but if you combine a horrible storyline and a terrible physics the failure is assured

Not happening, the most recent update for Heat was confirmed to be the last.

I heard it was to allow cross-platform play. I’m really disappointed with the support for this game by the developer. It had so much potential. It would’ve been one of the best NFS with more story content and more cars added.

Looks like a NFS Heat 2.

I just wanted an old school Hot Pursuit:
- no career
- no tuning bulls.....
- no buying cars, but unlocking them with levels

Critereon did it one time, why can‘t they do it again 💡

But they don‘t even tweet about it on their twitter account which is suspicious.

I also liked NFS 4 / high stakes.
But the tuning there was minimal.

And the NFS HP of 2010 is just more recent and also had great scores.
Really puzzles me they don‘t just remake this.

Kind of amazes me that we're still talking about having either "tuners" (anything that isn't a super car) or supercars. We can have both...
Why whoever is making NFS would want to alienate the part of the community asking for Tuners to appease the other half asking for supercars, or vice versa, is beyond me. It is a better business model to include both, capture the interest of both types of players, with the end result being more sales and a larger player base.

Besides, how can including vehicle customisation (a choice you can make) taking away from the ability of the player to use only supercars, with no thought to visual customisation. if you don't want to slap some fenders, wheels and a wing on your car ... then don't.

From the little tease that we have been given, we see a Nissan 180sx with what appears to be a Rocket Bunny kit (appeals to the modified car scene) and an untouched Porsche 911 GT3 RS (appeals to those who want supercars). Surely that should be an indication (albeit small) that we'll see both cultures in the next game.

I do understand the love for the classics like Hot Pursuit 2 (it was my first video game and only video game for a long time), but games have moved on from being dropped into a street race with no map outside of where that race goes. Open world racing is far better, so long as the map design is good (something I think recent NFS games need to work on). Allowing players to explore the environment, cruise around with no objective and drive to their destinations will always be superior to selecting a race and being dropped onto a closed off route with police coded to appear at certain points during the race.

Back