EA wins "Worst Company in America" award by Consumer Reports

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sier_Pinski
  • 122 comments
  • 12,687 views
Nice for EA to win something.
 
They (more or less) deserve having the title of "Worst Company in America 2012". Ever since (in my opinion) NFS: Carbon, things have gone (WAY) downhill for them, plus in addition to the "Evil Empire" title they also own, EA's future is way far from being good, let alone average :indiff:.

More like NFS most wanted if u ask me.
 
Last edited:
I would have seriously thought that Activison (mainly Bobby Kotick) would have gotten that over EA. There's Call of Duty, though.
 
I would have seriously thought that Activison (mainly Bobby Kotick) would have gotten that over EA. There's Call of Duty, though.

CoD isn't good really though. Just makes money.

What is saving Activision is the Blizzard part of the company and its hyper successful franchises.
 
I seriously hope the new SimCity is not affected by EA...

Oh wait, it already is... :banghead:
 
Agree!!
It was EA who came up with the one-time-only codes for DLC, making you pay for the same stuff if you bought it second hand.
Its EA who(along with Activision) release the same game year after year, with only minor improvements, and expect you to pay full price for it. Trouble is, if you are sane and DON'T want to get every single new version of Fifa or whatever, you soon find that you have to if you want to play online because not only do the majority of people only play the newest version, EA themselves shut the servers for the previous incarnation after a while!!
Oh and it was EA who ruined Mass Effect. ME1 had a good story, decent combat, detailed RPG elements, fun dune buggy bits and a sense of freedom.
ME2 had a not-bad story, better combat, dumbed down RPG bits, NO fun dune buggy stuff and a limited sense of freedom.
ME3 has....erm........good combat....and umm.....good graphics.....ummmm.....no sense of freedom whatsoever....and a shiny female robot. Wel done EA.
 
Agree!!
It was EA who came up with the one-time-only codes for DLC, making you pay for the same stuff if you bought it second hand.
Its EA who(along with Activision) release the same game year after year, with only minor improvements, and expect you to pay full price for it. Trouble is, if you are sane and DON'T want to get every single new version of Fifa or whatever, you soon find that you have to if you want to play online because not only do the majority of people only play the newest version, EA themselves shut the servers for the previous incarnation after a while!!
Oh and it was EA who ruined Mass Effect. ME1 had a good story, decent combat, detailed RPG elements, fun dune buggy bits and a sense of freedom.
ME2 had a not-bad story, better combat, dumbed down RPG bits, NO fun dune buggy stuff and a limited sense of freedom.
ME3 has....erm........good combat....and umm.....good graphics.....ummmm.....no sense of freedom whatsoever....and a shiny female robot. Wel done EA.

Mass Effect stuff aside, EA can not justify half of the rubbish that they did for the last 20+ years. They can not justify what essentially amounts to a roster update for full price every year. Then their "projecttendollar" war on used games is a complete and utter failure. They say it helps the developers, when all it really does is line EA's pockets. They cut server maintenance after a particular sport season so that they can trap you into buying a $60 game that is the same trash as last year.

There should be a class action down the line somewhere, and there is over the price of the sports titles.
 
They can not justify what essentially amounts to a roster update for full price every year.

Granted I hate EA, but what exactly do you expect them to do?

There isn't much outside of roster updates and some adjustments they can actually do from year to year. I don't know of any sports publisher that has done more than a roster update and some minor changes from year to year. Sure there is some major innovation from time to time but for the most part you are getting the same game as the last one with some tweaking, every publisher does it(It's not even exclusive to sports titles). The only reason EA gets the most complaints is because they are EA.

They cut server maintenance after a particular sport season so that they can trap you into buying a $60 game that is the same trash as last year.

I just checked and if I am lucky enough to find someone I can play my copy of NCAA 11 online, so...

and there is over the price of the sports titles.

It will fail miserably as nobody is forcing you to pay $60. The only reason they charge that much is because people are willing to pay that much.
 
It will fail miserably as nobody is forcing you to pay $60. The only reason they charge that much is because people are willing to pay that much.

They are in a way forcing you to pay that amount by making second hand sales a lot less attractive.
And if their sales go down, they blame the second hand sales and pirating anyway, not their own high prices.
 
So they were the ones who came up with that ridiculous idea of exclusive content tied to codes instead of the disc?

Great. I'll think about that next time someone gets a massive advantage over me because he bought the game at realease.
 
Once upon a time EA actually made quality games

Then around 2005, when they bought the NFL license, it became all about money. Madden has been crap every year since 2006 and they dont care. Need for Speed has been Crap for years and they dont care. Its all about pumping as much garbage out as possible as fast as possible and bringing in a profit
 
EA and Activision are battling to be the scum suckers in the very bottom corners of the crap barrel.
 
They are in a way forcing you to pay that amount by making second hand sales a lot less attractive.
And if their sales go down, they blame the second hand sales and pirating anyway, not their own high prices.

^^ This.

The year before EA secured the exclusive NFL license, 2k2 Sports also brought out a NFL game for the, then bargain, price of $19.99. 2k2 knew then that they couldn't compete with the Madden legacy, so they hit them where they hurt, their wallet. Madden, rather than cutting their losses, decides to hog the license all to themselves and a 2010 lawsuit is going forward to prove that.
 
They are in a way forcing you to pay that amount by making second hand sales a lot less attractive.
And if their sales go down, they blame the second hand sales and pirating anyway, not their own high prices.

Are there still used copies for sale?

I could understand if men in suits came and beat you up if you tried to buy a used EA game, but I'm not aware of that happening... yet.

It's also not like they are charging anything more than any other AAA game.

Madden, rather than cutting their losses, decides to hog the license all to themselves and a 2010 lawsuit is going forward to prove that.

Everything I have seen indicates the NFL is just as guilty(if not more) of wanting the exclusive license as EA is. There is simply more money to be made selling exclusive rights to one company instead of rights to several, especially with an entity as big as the NFL.

Link

Over the years many have hoped for the NFL to cease their use of an exclusive video game license and open things up for multiple parties. The NFL’s actions however show they cherish these exclusive deals and that hasn’t changed as of late. Whether it be DirecTV with NFL Sunday Ticket, Nike taking over on-field apparel, Bud Light replacing Coors this year as the official beer, or a single video game representing the league…this is simply how they operate.

Again, the only reason there is outrage is because it's EA(and that is who gets most of the blame as people like to ignore the NFL's part in the whole thing). With every other exclusive deal people gripe for a few minutes than move on, with EA they make it seem like they have done a huge evil for years.
 
Following your logic, Justin, the NFL should ink a deal with one console manufacturer. The NFL is doing lots of things wrong lately and that's all coming home to roost. The NFL better hope it survives.
 
Following your logic, Justin, the NFL should ink a deal with one console manufacturer.

I don't see how you got that from anything I have said.
 
Are there still used copies for sale?

I could understand if men in suits came and beat you up if you tried to buy a used EA game, but I'm not aware of that happening... yet.

It's also not like they are charging anything more than any other AAA game.



Everything I have seen indicates the NFL is just as guilty(if not more) of wanting the exclusive license as EA is. There is simply more money to be made selling exclusive rights to one company instead of rights to several, especially with an entity as big as the NFL.

Link



Again, the only reason there is outrage is because it's EA(and that is who gets most of the blame as people like to ignore the NFL's part in the whole thing). With every other exclusive deal people gripe for a few minutes than move on, with EA they make it seem like they have done a huge evil for years.

The NFL is getting its just desserts too. A recent Supreme Court decision that was handed down last year forced the NFL to bargain as 32 entities instead of doing business as a whole when negotiating on what brand makes their uniforms and helmets. You can be rest assured that the NBA, MLB, MLS and all of those sports organizations were watching that case.

EA was watching the case for a different matter. Now 2k could sue over the exclusivity agreement with the NFL and it will probably win if it decides to do so.
 
Once upon a time EA actually made quality games

Then around 2005, when they bought the NFL license, it became all about money. Madden has been crap every year since 2006 and they dont care. Need for Speed has been Crap for years and they dont care. Its all about pumping as much garbage out as possible as fast as possible and bringing in a profit
Except for the last few years the FIFA football game has trumped the rival Pro Evo series.

Aslong as they keep the football market competitive I don't really mind them.
 
ExigeEvan
Except for the last few years the FIFA football game has trumped the rival Pro Evo series.

Aslong as they keep the football market competitive I don't really mind them.

No Wales though Evan. After all this time.
 
No Wales though Evan. After all this time.
And? If we'd qualified for any major tournament recently I'd care, but we haven't.

It's a social game for me anyway, few friends on the sofa and pick 2 teams with approx' equal stats' on random.
 
Northern Ireland are in it I believe, when was the last time they qualified for anything?
 
The NFL is getting its just desserts too. A recent Supreme Court decision that was handed down last year forced the NFL to bargain as 32 entities instead of doing business as a whole when negotiating on what brand makes their uniforms and helmets. You can be rest assured that the NBA, MLB, MLS and all of those sports organizations were watching that case.

I don't think that ruling will change anything at all, even though they are recognized as 32 entities they will still likely follow whatever the NFL decides to do contract wise. Just look at the Nike deal that takes effect this year.

Read this, explains it better than I can.

EA was watching the case for a different matter. Now 2k could sue over the exclusivity agreement with the NFL and it will probably win if it decides to do so.

Yes, because 2K is innocent, they totally didn't buy the 3rd party rights to the MLB license, essentially killing the MLB game market on the 360 in the process since MLB 2K consistently sucked.:rolleyes:

I know the 2K deal is expiring this year, will be interesting to see if anyone picks it up.
 
Last edited:
There is no way EA is worse than AT&T or Comcast. At least the stuff I buy from EA works and some of the games are decent. I honestly can't think of anything redeeming about AT&T or Comcast other than maybe the modem AT&T gave me looks sort of nice on my desk.
 
Earth
Once upon a time EA actually made quality games

Then around 2005, when they bought the NFL license, it became all about money. Madden has been crap every year since 2006 and they dont care. Need for Speed has been Crap for years and they dont care. Its all about pumping as much garbage out as possible as fast as possible and bringing in a profit

Well I quite like a lot of EA published games. I've got 120 hours into Battlefield 3 at this point and roughly that many in Bad Company 2. I don't buy sports games every year but enough changes every 2 or 3 years to warrant a purchase and they look good and blow away almost all competition's sports games.

I've had an issue when I bought BF3 from Origin for PC and it was handled well. I had an issue with installing the Sims on my girlfriend's computer and again I had a guy spend more than hour on live chat getting it to work with me.

I don't like the online pass stuff or the monopolizing of sports games but really if I was a business I'd be doing exactly the same thing. Video games are a risky business to get into and I'd be squeezing every dollar I could too. Can you really blame companies for not wanting used game sales? I don't... ALL PC publishers and games have had that in place for years.


Anyway I've had a lot more problems with a lot more companies than EA. Sure they are shady at times but what giant isn't? I hate McDonalds for their marketing strategy at kids to keep them hooked for life to the most unhealthy food on the planet. I hate all cell phone carriers, mostly Telus, who just took away hardware upgrades with no grandfathering rule or notice..... I could go on.
 
There is no way EA is worse than AT&T or Comcast. At least the stuff I buy from EA works and some of the games are decent. I honestly can't think of anything redeeming about AT&T or Comcast other than maybe the modem AT&T gave me looks sort of nice on my desk.

I guess the problem is that it was an online vote and that a vast majority of the gaming community spend countless hours online. Personally I think it's a little sad that the title is given to EA over countless other companies that perform really underhanded acts towards their customers, banks/telecommunications companies being the more notable offenders generally with abhorrent customer service, mismanaged finances and foreclosures that shouldn't have happened. It shows how poorly skewed the view of the gaming community is when the biggest issue is the ending of Mass Effect and release day DLC. 👎
 
If AT&T didn't give them Internet, they couldn't vote, :sly:
 
I don't think that ruling will change anything at all, even though they are recognized as 32 entities they will still likely follow whatever the NFL decides to do contract wise. Just look at the Nike deal that takes effect this year.

Read this, explains it better than I can.
They are following the Nike deal because the deal was inked by each of the franchises after the decision went down. You can not be seriously arguing that an exclusivity deal that was inked before the American Needle decision can be legal with the decision in American Needle and comparing it with the Nike deal that was inked after the decision. Or to make it simpler:

1. EA Signs "Madden Exclusivity Agreement with NFL and the NFLPA. -> American Needle Decision -> [Deal expires in 2013 if not litigated]

2. American Needle Decision -> NFL Negotiates as 32 separate entities -> Inks deal with Nike.

There are other reasons why the deal with Nike should be invalid and anti-competitive, but that is another subject.

Justin
Yes, because 2K is innocent, they totally didn't buy the 3rd party rights to the MLB license, essentially killing the MLB game market on the 360 in the process since MLB 2K consistently sucked.:rolleyes:

I know the 2K deal is expiring this year, will be interesting to see if anyone picks it up.

I know that it is a low blow since that the PS3 has a superior baseball game on the market, and Microsoft apparently doesn't want to support a first party game since I know that it was a clause in the 2k deal.

All MS had to do was push a lot of money 2k, MLB's way and first party rights would have been granted just like Sony.
 
They are following the Nike deal because the deal was inked by each of the franchises after the decision went down. You can not be seriously arguing that an exclusivity deal that was inked before the American Needle decision can be legal with the decision in American Needle and comparing it with the Nike deal that was inked after the decision. Or to make it simpler:

1. EA Signs "Madden Exclusivity Agreement with NFL and the NFLPA. -> American Needle Decision -> [Deal expires in 2013 if not litigated]

2. American Needle Decision -> NFL Negotiates as 32 separate entities -> Inks deal with Nike.

There are other reasons why the deal with Nike should be invalid and anti-competitive, but that is another subject.

I'm guessing you missed the part where I said that the teams would have to be pretty stupid to go against the NFL.

I know that it is a low blow since that the PS3 has a superior baseball game on the market, and Microsoft apparently doesn't want to support a first party game since I know that it was a clause in the 2k deal.

How is pointing out a fact a low blow?

You were making it seem like EA is the only company to ever grab a sports license exclusively when 2K has done the same damn thing.

This also has nothing to do with quality of games(past sales) and everything to do with exclusive deals.

All MS had to do was push a lot of money 2k, MLB's way and first party rights would have been granted just like Sony.

I fail to see where MS has anything to do with this.
 
Back