Economy system is a piece of ****!

• Thread starter Mark IV
  • 419 comments
Yes, but you also said:

So you're totally, 100% and absolutely fine with only being able to win one prize car per day - a car you can't sell for credits that could go towards buying other cars?

I'm not saying GT5 gave you "everything in five minutes". I (and @Famine too, by the way) am saying that GT5 - when online - had the login bonus and seasonal events that'd stuff you with money, neither of which is the case in Sport. In its current offline state, yes, it very much is as grindy a mess as Sport is, but was it like that before then?

I haven't exactly seen you post any sort of numbers either, soo.. at which point did you consider that argument a game changer in your favor?

Fantastic. Good for you. So it's been an entire year and you haven't bought all of them? Which somehow proves your point about the economy system being perfectly balanced.. how, exactly?

How much of your game time over this past year has been dedicated to grinding on Sport?

..and now you want me to prove *your* point? I'm not entirely sure this is how debates work. But hey, if you're not willing to provide your own evidence, I'll gladly do it for you at the next given opportunity.

I'm not saying that's not the case, I'm just saying cars aren't exactly cheaper in Sport just because of that. The Shelby Daytona costing more than 10 million to upgrade in GT6 is quite the stretch, wouldn't you say? The Lamborghini Countach has miraculously sky-rocketed by a good million and a half - and again, I seriously doubt it'd ever cost that much to upgrade it in GT6. It all kind of evens itself out, doesn't it?
You seem to try really hard to have the last word here.
I have given you a few more numbers than you did, I have nothing else more to say, again do the calculations if you want, see what all cars and car upgrades in GT5 and GT6 cost, I dont have those games available anymore, but the grand total was sky high, I remember playing both about 3 years and pretty sure that after 3 years I was till spending money in upgrades.

Thanks for a civil discussion though :cheers:
I return the sentiment :cheers:. I would like to point out that there are many things to consider when trying to answer those rhetorical questions. As you say this is perhaps not the place for such a discussion :lol:

You seem to try really hard to have the last word here.

..which is why you're also continuing it, I take?

I have given you a few more numbers than you did

You mean these numbers?

Just buying all sports and racing tires it costs around 100k, then it comes the susspension, the bakes, the engine upgrade, weight reduction.... Pretty sure its around 300k or more.

..yeah, because those are awfully specific too, aren't they?

Well let me provide you with some numbers then:
  • GT6
  • Red Bull X2014 Standard Championship
  • ~1 million in ~half an hour with no login bonus whatsoever
That makes it about ten minutes to cover the upgrades of your theoretical car, or about ten hours to buy one of the 20-million cars. Remind me what the equivalent time is for Sport again?

I dont have those games available anymore
I remember
pretty sure

Ah, so you're saying you don't have the means to provide your own evidence and is basing it all off of how you *remember* them being?

And those highly specific numbers support your statement how again?

I return the sentiment :cheers:. I would like to point out that there are many things to consider when trying to answer those rhetorical questions. As you say this is perhaps not the place for such a discussion :lol:

It can turn into never ending circles lol.

Thank you though, these discussions are what can question your own opinions and as such, improve yours/my standpoint.

Interesting thread with even more interesting viewpoints.

While I don't think that the price of most of the cars in the game should be adjusted, I think that the Credits rewards in the game should be adjusted, particularly the online game modes, where instead of your opponents having a fixed set of behavioral parameters for the AI system to follow, you are competing with other human players and the dynamics of other human opponents in the race mean that the outcome is not guaranteed. There's been many threads like this one discussing the economics of this game, but I honestly don't expect it to change. I myself don't want to repeat a specific set of races just to quickly accumulate enough Credits to purchase a select few cars, but that being said, those cars are not impossible to obtain.

The fact that said cars have limited usage in the game thanks to their classification as Gr.X is enough for me not to want to obtain them; granted, there's a GT League event that uses these expensive cars, and it can be considered the "Metal Slime trap" of Gran Turismo Sport in which players would be most-tempted to purchase the least-expensive car in an attempt to compete, only to realize that the competition severely outclasses their car. What's a bummer is that the Ford GT40 is an opponent in said event, but you can't actually enter the car yourself in the event; it's quite capable against the competition, even with some light tuning; as an opponent, it often starts in the front of the grid (at least for my few races for the event) and can maintain its position and compete with the "Grand Trio" of vintage racecars.

What this reminds me of is the price balancing of cars for Gran Turismo 6 that occurred between the game's first few updates.

..which is why you're also continuing it, I take?

You mean these numbers?

..yeah, because those are awfully specific too, aren't they?

Well let me provide you with some numbers then:
  • GT6
  • Red Bull X2014 Standard Championship
  • ~1 million in ~half an hour with no login bonus whatsoever
That makes it about ten minutes to cover the upgrades of your theoretical car, or about ten hours to buy one of the 20-million cars. Remind me what the equivalent time is for Sport again?

Ah, so you're saying you don't have the means to provide your own evidence and is basing it all off of how you *remember* them being?

And those highly specific numbers support your statement how again?
Is there something wrong with you? I've said everything I had to say, I'm done with this conversation. Bye

Last edited:
Everything is related. If you dont spend any money on car upgrades, you save all that money to buy the unicorn cars much quicker.
One can earn 2m credits p/h doing the meta earners in GT League. Earnings in Sport mode are far, far, less. It's this disparity that I have an issue with because racing against one's peers is much more difficult than winning any of those high earning offline races. Spending money (or not) on upgrades is irrelevant.

One can earn 2m credits p/h doing the meta earners in GT League. Earnings in Sport mode are far, far, less. It's this disparity that I have an issue with because racing against one's peers is much more difficult than winning any of those high earning offline races. Spending money (or not) on upgrades is irrelevant.
Sure, I would like also to get more money out of lobby races, but I usually play races in lobbies for 2 hours and if you get good results you can get 200-250k. Many times thats what I get, with 2 hours of playing, plus the nostalgia race of only 7 minutes, so for me its many times half a million a day, having a lot of fun, not grinding.

Sure, I would like also to get more money out of lobby races, but I usually play races in lobbies for 2 hours and if you get good results you can get 200-250k. Many times thats what I get, with 2 hours of playing, plus the nostalgia race of only 7 minutes, so for me its many times half a million a day, having a lot of fun, not grinding.
If lobbies were regularly full and populated with similarly ranked players I would argue that payouts should be increased also. As it is they are already better earners than Sport mode.

GT Sport will be judged on the quality and longevity of Sport mode. Public lobbies are similar to other titles I've played, but the terrible AI makes the single player by far the weakest I've played in any racing game. For people who enjoy it and spend most of their time there it should make no difference if Sport mode started paying similar amounts. Why PD would want to encourage Sport mode players to spend time in single player is beyond me. Offering increased payouts in Sport mode would not affect any other players in the slightest. Payouts would remain the same in all other areas of the game.

If lobbies were regularly full and populated with similarly ranked players I would argue that payouts should be increased also. As it is they are already better earners than Sport mode.

GT Sport will be judged on the quality and longevity of Sport mode. Public lobbies are similar to other titles I've played, but the terrible AI makes the single player by far the weakest I've played in any racing game. For people who enjoy it and spend most of their time there it should make no difference if Sport mode started paying similar amounts. Why PD would want to encourage Sport mode players to spend time in single player is beyond me. Offering increased payouts in Sport mode would not affect any other players in the slightest. Payouts would remain the same in all other areas of the game.
GT6 was worse in single player I think

The thing about GT6 is that it had a money glitch and many players used it. I was actually going to skip GT6 because of the grind but when the glitch was discovered, I ran out and bought GT6 before a patch was released.

Also threads and posts were being deleted here which talked about the glitch and then they were allowed, I wonder if there was an explanation for that.

Well that's my point and I will gladly repeat it again. Games are what people make them out to be. What you and I might consider a struggle like it was real life others might see as nothing compared to earning 50 million dollars in real life to own a GTO 250.

My personal relationship with GTS is getting more mature, my current DR is low my SR is lower than ever and I still play the game whenever I feel like it and enjoy it most of the time. The game is what I want to it to be

I still stand by suggestions I posted earlier but i accept they will never happen.

Like you, I also matured in my relationship with videogames. I still love playing them and will, most likely, continue to enjoy playing them. But life begins catching up to you and when you've arrived home, after a tiring day, you just want to take your favorite car for a quick spin, you don't want to to continue what you left from the previous days. It reminds me of work, which I don't want to think about at that time. When I was young, I used to play GT for 8 to 9 hours a day, with only breaks for food and under natural necessities. Now, if I reach the two hour mark, it's already quite the major gaming session. Most commonly, I only play for about one hour. Which is why I like games that allow me to just jump straight to my favorite part, because that means I can spend most of that hour with what I enjoy doing the most in-game.

From what I've read here the best idea for me would be a Cr. penalty. Like, let's say the base amount of Cr. earned in a race is 500,000, then at the end of the race this will be deducted based upon how clean you raced, when deducting the Cr. I want a big - XXXX Cr. flashing in red to remind the person how much they've screwed up, on top of all this, a bonus multiplier for 1st, 2nd and so on would be applied. This way, I beleive, will encourage a fair play and will prevent players from murdering each other to get to the 1st place, while also rewarding less skilled players.

These exist in GT sport already.

I should have clarifed - if they bring seasonal events back, they should bring drift trials into the mix

Alongside this there are the Arcade mode races for each circuit layout. Interesting analysis in general though.
I'd suggest that the manufacturer events from GT4 have now effectively become the one make races in the Custom race mode.

Yes and no. Not all manufacturer events were and are one-make only (the GT-R challenge, for example).
GT4 also separated the manufacturer events from the other events, which they haven't done since. I would rather see manufacturer events alongside rally events separate again.

Another suggestion I would make is for more races added to take advantage of tyre/fuel consumption, and not just endurance races (essentially like the daily race C event but offline).

Last edited:
In the interest of science, I went back to GT6 and did some numbers (someone feel free to show you-know-who this):

Jaguar XJ13:
  • Cost to acquire: 20,000,000
  • Racing Softs because why would you buy anything else: 39,000
  • High RPM range turbo kit: 24,000
Total cost: 20,063,000.

Total upgrade cost: 63,000.

Upgrade cost ratio: 0,3%

Est. time required to earn the money for all of this given that the X2014 Standard Championship will pay ~1 million in ~30 minutes: ~10 hours.

(side note: I did also have a comparison with a 250 GTO, which was about an additional 200,000 or thereabouts. Given that I don't yet have this car in Sport, however, I can't really make any use of it, can I?)

Toyota Supra RZ:
  • CTA: 43,900 (but let's play along with the Sport pricing scheme and say 45,000)
  • RS tyres: 36,500
  • Fully customisable suspension: 18,500
  • Racing brakes: 8,500
  • Fully customisable transmission: 19,000
  • Triple plate clutch: 6,400
  • Carbon drive shaft: 4,250
  • Fully customisable LSD: 7,250
  • Engine upgrade S3: 45,000
  • Computer: 1,750
  • Intake tuning: 4,600
  • Racing exhaust: 9,750
  • Isometric exhaust manifold: 3,200
  • Catalytic converter: 1,500
  • High RPM range turbo kit: 21,500
  • Nitro kit: 100,000
  • Weight reduction S3: 33,500
  • Window weight reduction: 3,000
  • Carbon hood (body color): 4,500
Total cost (with GTS price and nitrous): 373,700

Total upgrade cost: 328,700.

Upgrade ratio: 730%

Est. time required: half an hour

..if we take away all the things that come as standard on the GTS version (i.e. suspension, tyres, drivetrain and nitrous), however:

Total upgrade cost: 128,300

Upgrade ratio: 285%

The pattern that's emerging here is that the cheaper the car, the more expensive (relatively speaking) the upgrades. Which should come as a surprise to absolutely nobody.

Now let's see how that all stacks up against Sport:

The first thing to note is that Sport not only pays you in Credits, but also in Mileage Points that are used to upgrade your cars. But how many credits is a Mileage Point?

Fortunately, we can make two direct comparisons with GT6: The BMW M4 Safety Car or the wheels.

One important difference here is that the wheels are a one-time-only purchase, and that they don't cost the same across the board in GT6, so let's keep that in mind.

Of the current selection in the Mileage Exchange, let's focus on the OZ Racing Botticelli III and Racing Italia 150, for the simple reason that they're both in GT6.

In GT Sport, they're a flat 100 MI. In GT6, the Botticelli is 4,000, while the Racing Italia is only 2,000.

Or, to put it in a graphical way:

upload_2018-10-28_18-45-3.png

There's one more comparison we can make: the purchase cost of the M4 Safety Car, which, as luck would have it, is also currently in the Mileage Exchange. I'll skip straight to the numbers on this one:

upload_2018-10-28_18-47-46.png

So, going forward, let's assume that one MI is roughly equal to 24 credits.

Upgrading to power level 2 on the XJ13 in Sport is 5,103 MI, or, given what we've just discovered, 122,472 credits. That one upgrade alone is more expensive than the entirety of upgrading its upgrades in GT6. But again, entirely different upgrade systems yadda yadda.

But how does this compare when looking at less expensive cars? I'm thinking the Supra is a good comparison again:

upload_2018-10-28_18-56-5.png

Compared to a full GT6 build, that's only 27.2% of the cost. A steal, one might say. Comparing to a GTS-equivalent build, however, it's only 69.7% - solely because the cars in GTS come with so many bits and pieces available at no further cost.

Let's also conveniently forget entirely that this is based off of our hypothetical MI conversion rate and that the tuning systems are wildly different to begin with.

One question left to answer: how does the meta grinds stack up? Handily, I've compiled a chart for that as well:

upload_2018-10-28_19-12-6.png

*exact figures depending on player ability. There are merely the times I'm able to run comfortably.

What we can conclude from all of this is the following:
  • The cost price of most vehicles haven't changed between games (and if they have, chances are they're more expensive this time around)
  • The cheaper cars have gotten cheaper to upgrade
  • The expensive cars have gotten much, much more expensive to upgrade
  • Comparing the upgrade systems is like comparing apples and oranges anyway, so one can argue that none of that even matters
  • Mileage Points would be the banana, seeing as they're based on a completely different set of parameters and cannot be exchanged with credits.
  • Even if they could, given their current conversion rate, Sport still has a lower money/minute payout than GT6 - and that's GT6 post-Login Bonus.
I'm looking forward to hearing from everybody how I've somehow manipulated these numbers in my favor despite not once bringing up the hyperinflation that is the Countach and Cobra Daytona. Oh wait, I did just bring them up. Tough luck.

As my epilogue, I'll say this: Sport is just a game. Unless you're a FIA series finalist, it's not a second job, and it really shouldn't be. If I wanted to work a second job, I'd get a second job and get paid real money. Some grinding, I can accept, but the current system is just too much effort for too little sense of pride and accomplishment.

In the interest of science, I went back to GT6 and did some numbers (someone feel free to show you-know-who this):

Jaguar XJ13:

Est. time required to earn the money for all of this given that the X2014 Standard Championship will pay ~1 million in ~30 minutes: ~10 hours.

(side note: I did also have a comparison with a 250 GTO, which was about an additional 200,000 or thereabouts. Given that I don't yet have this car in Sport, however, I can't really make any use of it, can I?)

Toyota Supra RZ:
  • CTA: 43,900 (but let's play along with the Sport pricing scheme and say 45,000)

..if we take away all the things that come as standard on the GTS version (i.e. suspension, tyres, drivetrain and nitrous), however:

The pattern that's emerging here is that the cheaper the car, the more expensive (relatively speaking) the upgrades. Which should come as a surprise to absolutely nobody.

The first thing to note is that Sport not only pays you in Credits, but also in Mileage Points that are used to upgrade your cars. But how many credits is a Mileage Point?

Fortunately, we can make two direct comparisons with GT6: The BMW M4 Safety Car or the wheels.

One important difference here is that the wheels are a one-time-only purchase, and that they don't cost the same across the board in GT6, so let's keep that in mind.

Of the current selection in the Mileage Exchange, let's focus on the OZ Racing Botticelli III and Racing Italia 150, for the simple reason that they're both in GT6.

In GT Sport, they're a flat 100 MI. In GT6, the Botticelli is 4,000, while the Racing Italia is only 2,000.

View attachment 776784

There's one more comparison we can make: the purchase cost of the M4 Safety Car, which, as luck would have it, is also currently in the Mileage Exchange. I'll skip straight to the numbers on this one:

View attachment 776785

Upgrading to power level 2 on the XJ13 in Sport is 5,103 MI, or, given what we've just discovered, 122,472 credits. That one upgrade alone is more expensive than the entirety of upgrading its upgrades in GT6. But again, entirely different upgrade systems yadda yadda.

But how does this compare when looking at less expensive cars? I'm thinking the Supra is a good comparison again:

View attachment 776786

Compared to a full GT6 build, that's only 27.2% of the cost. A steal, one might say. Comparing to a GTS-equivalent build, however, it's only 69.7% - solely because the cars in GTS come with so many bits and pieces available at no further cost.

Let's also conveniently forget entirely that this is based off of our hypothetical MI conversion rate and that the tuning systems are wildly different to begin with.

One question left to answer: how does the meta grinds stack up? Handily, I've compiled a chart for that as well:

View attachment 776788
*exact figures depending on player ability. There are merely the times I'm able to run comfortably.

• The cost price of most vehicles haven't changed between games (and if they have, chances are they're more expensive this time around)
  • Comparing the upgrade systems is like comparing apples and oranges anyway, so one can argue that none of that even matters
  • Mileage Points would be the banana, seeing as they're based on a completely different set of parameters and cannot be exchanged with credits.
  • Even if they could, given their current conversion rate, Sport still has a lower money/minute payout than GT6 - and that's GT6 post-Login Bonus.
I'm looking forward to hearing from everybody how I've somehow manipulated these numbers in my favor despite not once bringing up the hyperinflation that is the Countach and Cobra Daytona. Oh wait, I did just bring them up. Tough luck.

As my epilogue, I'll say this: Sport is just a game. Unless you're a FIA series finalist, it's not a second job, and it really shouldn't be. If I wanted to work a second job, I'd get a second job and get paid real money. Some grinding, I can accept, but the current system is just too much effort for too little sense of pride and accomplishment.
You talk abut the current system is just too much effort for too little sense of pride and accomplishment, what a load of:censored:. The credits system is wonderful and it is well worked out across the board :).

Players that moan & groan about the credit system because and they want to see better credit payouts to increased right across the board, is because they want to play a lot less and get plenty of credits in a short time. It just does not work that way because it is a game and there is no need to get things that costs a lot in 5 minutes, ok it may take some time to earn things like the most expensive cars, so what if it takes you a week or a couple of weeks to get to 20 million credits.

, ok it may take some time to earn things like the most expensive cars, so what if it takes you a week or a couple of weeks to get to 20 million credits
It's about 200k for winning an FIA Nations/Manufacturers race at DrA+ SrS. These races are available four times a week at most. It's 400k for 12 mins in an upgraded X-bow.

Awarding more credits to Sport players would not affect offline players at all.

Last edited:
You talk abut the current system is just too much effort for too little sense of pride and accomplishment, what a load of:censored:. The credits system is wonderful and it is well worked out across the board :).

Players that moan & groan about the credit system because and they want to see better credit payouts to increased right across the board, is because they want to play a lot less and get plenty of credits in a short time. It just does not work that way because it is a game and there is no need to get things that costs a lot in 5 minutes, ok it may take some time to earn things like the most expensive cars, so what if it takes you a week or a couple of weeks to get to 20 million credits.
You like making things up don't you. :dunce:

You speak for yourself and no one else. Saying players that want better payouts are wanting everything in 5 minutes is pathetic.

Players that moan & groan about the credit system because and they want to see better credit payouts to increased right across the board, is because they want to play a lot less and get plenty of credits in a short time. .
You know what i'll bite, this week i'm gonna play Daily C and not touching GT League at all (and of course not even using the rubberband because that is totally a "non" lazy thing) and see how much it earns me overall.
Way less than you should get

You know what i'll bite, this week i'm gonna play Daily C and not touching GT League at all (and of course not even using the rubberband because that is totally a "non" lazy thing) and see how much it earns me overall.
Way less than you should get
At least you get somthing. There is no need for better payouts online, the game is fine at the moment :).

Jaguar XJ13:

Toyota Supra RZ:

View attachment 776784

View attachment 776785

View attachment 776786

View attachment 776788

Nice to see this post and it seems I was right on most of my points.
You should also add that in GT6 you didnt have a daily car gift that makes you easily get most of the cars in the game for free over time.

My conclusion based in my experience is that the GT Sport car colleciton (with upgrades) is easier to get than GT5/GT6, except for those few unicorns which arent a major concern if you dont have them quickly (because barely no one uses them, because few people have them) so IMO no one should be in a rush to get them.

I was right

You were right in terms of cars in Sport requiring less credits to upgrade. See the point I made on the upgrade system for the relevance of that.
You were right in the sense that if your grand plan is "buy a Supra", you're not likely to see *that* much of a difference, simply because of how inexpensive the car is. See the point where I calculate the credits/minute for the factuality on that one.

I wouldn't exactly call that "most of your points", but whatever goats your moat.

barely no one uses them, because few people have them

..you say that, and you don't see the correlation that maybe, just maybe, they're not used as often because of how ridiculously long the grind for one is?

As in if they were obtainable within a reasonable amount of time, couldn't one reasonably assume they'd more popular?

Yes. Your opinion.

My opinion (and the opinion of the majority, based on this thread) is that I shouldn't be grinding for countless hours (and, as I've demonstrated, that's what it takes) to get cars in a game I paid 60 bucks for.

So we're back at exactly sqaure one, aren't we? Now what?

Speaking of people that are back at square one:

At least you get somthing. There is no need for better payouts online, the game is fine at the moment :).

Ah, the classic "50% of something is better than 100% of nothing"! How did I just know that was going to pop up sooner or later? And this is a good argument in favor of making games grindier because..?

Also, you keep saying that "the game is fine", and yet, despite your insistence on that, you still haven't answered my god-forsaken questions. Any one would think that's because you know you can't win an actual argument and thus resort to "moaning and groaning" about how all other people do is "moaning and groaning". Which is quite entertaining, by the way.

As in if they were obtainable within a reasonable amount of time, couldn't one reasonably assume they'd more popular?
They weren't terribly popular on GT5, where they were extremely easy to get with birthday tickets.

Back