EDK's Real Life Racing Exploits

• Thread starter EDK
  • 303 comments
Nice video Kevin! Looks like a lot of fun.

Good luck at Laguna Seca 👍. It will be interesting to see your views on how accurate the track is in GT compared to real life.

Good luck this weekend, and I am very much looking forward to reading your report!

Awesome Kevin!
I can't explain how jealous I am.

EDK
Line is easy to see, just look at where I just driving the car. ;)
:lol: (we all know you use brake points anyway)

PS> You need a GTP_WRS sponsorship sticker on the side of that car! OR maybe Hydro can make you one of his "GTP on Board!" signs for the back window. :sly:

We'll start with sponsoring your Helmet :sly:
Very Cool that they let you use your Thrustmaster, probably felt right at home, but doesn't that unfairly raise the value of the car? :D

edk.jpg

Good Luck at Laguna 👍

Just posted a Laguna update in the first post, let me know what you guys think. :)

You guys won!!!
I think that's awesome 👍

The morning track shot is just perfect.
What a great picture.
I imagine the Trophy is the picture you will remember better.

How close was the fuel in the end?

Congratulations on the Win :cheers:
Very, very Cool :)

You guys won!!!
I think that's awesome 👍

The morning track shot is just perfect.
What a great picture.
I imagine the Trophy is the picture you will remember better.

How close was the fuel in the end?

Congratulations on the Win :cheers:
Very, very Cool :)

Fuel was very low. The car sputtered coming over the crest into the corkscrew. We don't think we could have made it another lap.

Excellent write up , once again Kevin. 👍

And congrats for the Team win. 👍 👍
You really made that BMW guy eat his words. :lol:

And you met Lefty and LittleLefty too!

I like the part where you took bikes over the track , must have been fun.
The lights in the pitch black picture are visible , atleast with inverted colours.

I can almost imagine the feeling , waiting at the wall for that MR2 to appear.
Must have felt like time had stopped.

Congrats on the win Kev and team 👍

Must have been sweet going round that corkscrew in real life.

Congratulations Kevin - that sort of win must feel very rewarding. Thank you for taking the time to write the race report for us 👍

Awesome stuff! So glad to finally see an MR2 win a Chumpcar/Lemons race.

edit: here is a picture of the MR2 coming through the 'screw!

http://chumpcar.shutterfly.com/pictures/128

The same car also won the Rat Race at Oregon Racing Park in September, and was 2nd place in the ChumpCar Spokane race in July.

Che and Ethan will be running their own MR2 in December, so we're hoping to get 2 MR2's on the podium for that race!

I've added a video of my fast lap to the first post. It was a 1:57.7. I lost 3 seconds to our team fast lap, and most of that was in turns 2, 4 and 10. I have courage to find before the next race, mainly getting back on full throttle a bit sooner in those turns.

I was right with the fast lap time from the bridge after turn 5 to the bridge after the corkscrew. This was definitely my most courageous run through the signature turn. Hope you enjoy. :)

That. Is. So. COOL!

The most important part was clearly the detailed team sim preparation. And the beer. That's what I'm hearing, anyway :sly:

Congratulations.... Looking forward to hearing the Lefty view, and the December sequel!

That's pretty cool. Envious.

I live about 4 hours from the track - wish id get the chance. One day.

p.s. You have kind of a weird way to handle the steering wheel - doing the shuffle as they say. :D

Another great recapp, really an enjoyable read. Congrats on the victory, especially after pretty much being told you have no chance! Good Luck in December!

p.s. You have kind of a weird way to handle the steering wheel - doing the shuffle as they say. :D

Yeah, I've noticed that in the video. If you notice, it's just my right hand that comes off to make shifts that ends up shuffling around the wheel. I also suffer from an overly aggressive grip with that hand, it's still a bit sore, 4 days after the race. Something else I need to find a way to fix before the next race.

Man Kevin I didn't know how long I could keep your win a secret :lol:

I just wish that you all could have seen how well "Team Clutch On Fire" performed at Laguna. I truly felt lucky to have met our fearless leader and his other team M8z. They were so focused that I felt guilty for laughing it up w/ them, in that I might be a distraction to there effort.

I don't want everyone to try to recal my declaration that I predicted what I though would be the outcome w/ Kevin on their side, but..... Sometimes I feel like "Carnac the Magnificent" when I can see the future

Carnac.jpg

Little and I had the best time at Laguna, there's nothing like rooting for a team that you know or have met personally.

I can only imagine a day that there might be a total WRS member team campaining a car in this style of racing. Great job Kevin 👍

Last edited:
More videos added to the first post, including my fast lap from Portland. Next up will be me getting punted in Portland, then I'll be doing the team's fastest lap.

Little and I hit every camera angle from each turn and got the car blowing throuh it. I haven't had time to sit down and work it over but I can't wait to edit it together to see it as one lap eventhough it will be somewhat fractured as some cars will be going into a turn w/ the MR2 and then come out w/ other cars around it, but the result should be cool for your memories Kevin.

Little and I hit every camera angle from each turn and got the car blowing throuh it. I haven't had time to sit down and work it over but I can't wait to edit it together to see it as one lap eventhough it will be somewhat fractured as some cars will be going into a turn w/ the MR2 and then come out w/ other cars around it, but the result should be cool for your memories Kevin.

Sweet! Looking forward to those, I'll add them to the Photobucket Album I have working.

Crown Victoria chassis with a chopped down F-150 body mounted on it backwards!

:lol:

Great read Kev :cheers:

Thanks for taking the time to write all that! And congratulations on the win 👍

Bravo Kev! Excellent work man, congrats! GL in Dec buddy.

Jerome

I think Kevin's December race is today! Good luck! :cheers:

Race was today, yes. I'm very tired, after starting the day to get down to the track at 4:30 am, and running 2 stints of 2 hours each in the car.

It will be a little while before I have video, but I will have time to do a writeup soon, probably tomorrow.

Will save the details until then.

Back