EDK's Real Life Racing Exploits

• Thread starter EDK
  • 303 comments
Truly awesome you got to do it Kevin!! Now we need to get you a video of a lap at Lime Rock, and you will be the first Team SMART member to go coast -to-coast in both simulation and real track time!!! Now if we can only get Lime Rock on GT5!!
mexicanwave.gif
ohyea_smilie.gif
top_users.gif

You guys that can experience the best of both [sim & real] worlds....👍

Enjoyed the read, Kevin! And the pics and vids made it seem like being there as a spectator...in a way!

Just added a December Laguna race update to the first post. Sorry that it took me a week to get around to it, but this way, you have videos right out of the gate. :)

What a great Christmas present to your self 👍 The caution flag stashed on the side of the track not moving was so wrong and the track should be ashamed of them selves. What good is having it if it's not obvious and waving, then to administer penalties over that is just the worst, but event the worst day at Laguna still has to be better then the best simulator ever, so you were definitely in heaven.

All the best in your teams next adventure w/ the MR2 and I hope Little and I can go see the dream team in action next year.

Great read again Kevin. Congratz for hitting your goal and getting that pass... Yee Haw!

Great read again Kevin. Congratz for hitting your goal and getting that pass... Yee Haw!

Yeah, it's hard to tell in the video, but I was having to back off in those last sections of the track, and even gave a little room coming into 5 on the lap I made the pass so I could get the fast run into 6.

So I was pretty fired up when I finally managed to get by, and saying goofy stuff over the radio like that after making a great pass is a little bit of an inside joke with the team. :)

I tried doing it with a lot of speed through the final corner a couple times, but the RX7 just had too much straight-line grunt.

EDK
Yeah, it's hard to tell in the video, but I was having to back off in those last sections of the track, and even gave a little room coming into 5 on the lap I made the pass so I could get the fast run into 6.

So I was pretty fired up when I finally managed to get by, and saying goofy stuff over the radio like that after making a great pass is a little bit of an inside joke with the team. :)

I tried doing it with a lot of speed through the final corner a couple times, but the RX7 just had too much straight-line grunt.

Are you going to run the Portland race next year too? Or just when they race at Laguna?

Are you going to run the Portland race next year too? Or just when they race at Laguna?

I'll most likely be running Laguna on 2/12, Portland on March 31st and April 1st, and 1 or 2 other races (TBD). I THINK we're going to get an invite to the Regional Chumpionship, which is at Infineon (Sears Point) next December 8th, which is also my birthday. I'll be running in that if we do get the invite.

Jason's also talking about building a second car. Not another MR2, but not going to say what here, as I don't think he's shared it in public.

Lefty came out to the first race, and a guy from Salinas who used to call on me for work that I knew had ran SCCA and Skip Barber stuff came and saw me in this last race.

Any of you guys are welcome to come see what it's all about when I'm racing, just shoot me a PM and I'll give you guys a little more detail so you can find me.

I can't promise any more than 5 or 10 minutes of my time, as even when I'm not in the car, I need to be available to discuss strategy and in case there are any issues.

But even if you don't know someone who's racing, these are great events to come watch, the race action is actually really fantastic. :)

Has your team ever discused the visuals of the car as far as trying to get sponsors? I know that is a huge consideration when aproaching someone for help. With a win in your hip pocket you might be able to find some local support from business around the Montery area.

Has your team ever discused the visuals of the car as far as trying to get sponsors? I know that is a huge consideration when aproaching someone for help. With a win in your hip pocket you might be able to find some local support from business around the Montery area.

I have not asked Jason about that.

A few teams seem to run with sponsorship, most notable is the Racey Diva Nissan Z that's owned by one of the series directors. She has names of shops plastered all over it.

Finally got around to reading your latest write up, Kevin. Another great read!

Here's to more in the new year :cheers:

OK, Kevin... the plan as of now is to go see you race this Sunday... Bringing along my aspiring young driver of 8 years pictured below [pic is a few years old now]. I guarantee if you wear a matching race suit you guys will win the race:

profilepic186397_1.gif

Unfortunately the race suit pictured is too small now so he can't wear it anymore. Maybe I should get him one in purple for the race.

If any other WRS'ers living near Central Cali happen to be going to check it out let me know... would be fun to meet. (e.g. Lefty, etc.)

I can't wait to get out of the army and back to Oregon. Moving to PDX instead of Medford, but I have an 87 SSP Mustang coupe, that I will be putting a race finish on and taking to PIR as often as possible. I really miss driving on track. You gotta try thunderhill out as well if you get the opportunity.

OK, Kevin... the plan as of now is to go see you race this Sunday... Bringing along my aspiring young driver of 8 years pictured below [pic is a few years old now]. I guarantee if you wear a matching race suit you guys will win the race:

profilepic186397_1.gif

Unfortunately the race suit pictured is too small now so he can't wear it anymore. Maybe I should get him one in purple for the race.

I went the cheap route with my racing suit, so there were only a few options of colors available. I have a black suit with white piping, and a white helmet.

That said, if I was going to wear a real race car drivers' livery, I think I'd look for some Old School Trans Am stuff, or maybe current Ferrari F1.

Not sure if you've had your son out to the races yet, but I was about his age my first time at PIR (Start of OP). It left an indelible memory. :)

I can't wait to get out of the army and back to Oregon. Moving to PDX instead of Medford, but I have an 87 SSP Mustang coupe, that I will be putting a race finish on and taking to PIR as often as possible. I really miss driving on track. You gotta try thunderhill out as well if you get the opportunity.

We run a Chump race at PIR on March 31st/April 1st. And there's another one in October as well. No races at Thunderhill as yet, but it's on our wish list. We should also be running Infineon this December.

We're running lean and mean this race, just the car owner and myself will be driving. He comes in tonight, we head to the track tomorrow, and race on Sunday.

Wish us luck. :)

Good luck, Kev. Would really like to join Tim and come watch, but can't make it. Drive the wheels off! :D

Good Luck Kevin 👍

Nice to see you are building a (live) fan base too ;)
Tim and his son should really show up in matching Gold suits - sort of a Cali Stig and Son :D

It was a fun time going down to Laguna Seca today. Got there just as Kevin was jumping in the car for his second stint (the pit picture below) and got to see the entire stint. He drove great. My son and I walked around the entire course and watched from every angle imaginable including the famous corkscrew. Finally got to meet Kevin face to face for the first time when he got out of the car. Great job Kevin... some impressive driving. 👍

Here are some shots I took with my phone:

Pit:

pit.jpg

Corkscrew:

corkscrew.jpg

Turn 6:

turn6.jpg

And a quick video clip of Kevin taming the corkscrew:

Thanks for the pics and vid, Tim. The "screw" looks easier in real life [I'm sure it isn't], but to know it's one of our own makes it great!!

Go Kevin!!!

It was a fun time going down to Laguna Seca today. Got there just as Kevin was jumping in the car for his second stint (the pit picture below) and got to see the entire stint. He drove great. My son and I walked around the entire course and watched from every angle imaginable including the famous corkscrew. Finally got to meet Kevin face to face for the first time when he got out of the car. Great job Kevin... some impressive driving. 👍

Here are some shots I took with my phone:

Was great meeting you yesterday, Tim. We'll have to do it again some time, when I can give you more attention than I can at the track. 👍

Thanks for the pics and Vid. I really like the overhead shot in turn 6. You can see I'm right on line to the apex. ;) That's a tricky corner, and one Jason and I have bot improved on, to the point we can pass almost any car on the way up the hill to the cork. :crazy:

I'll be doing a writeup sometime this week. Hopefully later today, but I can't commit to that just yet.

We have all the video footage, but live timing was down for the event, so we don't have a record of exact laptimes. I'll be doing a breakdown by hand this coming weekend.

Thanks for the pics and vid, Tim. The "screw" looks easier in real life [I'm sure it isn't], but to know it's one of our own makes it great!!

Go Kevin!!!

The corkscrew is not a particularly difficult corner, you are correct. The 2 things that are tough -

1. Braking into it. You come over the crest, the car is light, and you have a choice between starting your braking before the crest (safe) or rolling over the crest and then braking (aggressive). Jason can heel toe, so he was doing it the aggressive way, and taking it in 2nd. I was doing it the safe way, and taking it in 3rd.

2. It's blind. You notice I apex that left curb hard, I get the braking out of the way early, then get on the throttle and turn in early. The whole right side is blind from the driver's view, so if you push hard enough to end up over there, you just have to hope for the best. :sly:

Welcome home, Kevin!! :cheers: I'm glad you got the chance to race!!! :cool:

Awesome job and thanks for the pics, Tim! 👍👍 [and video!]

I've added a lengthy Laguna update to the bottom of the first post. Videos will be this weekend. Hope you enjoy.

Great read, Kev, and nice work running overtime in that sad-looking fast car. 👍

Also cool to put a face to a well-respected name. :cheers:

Yes, agreed, another great read. 👍

When I saw your picture, I went "so, that's what a super moderator looks like!" ;)

What fun even w/ the dicey weather and the sketchy score keeping. Your car sounds like it's a real trooper and very dependable. The slipery saves could have left a real pucker mark on your chair if it wasn't for your action and skill. Great play by play describing another fantastic weekend. All the best for team "Clutch on Fire" in 2012 👍

I've added some videos to the bottom of the first post. After breaking down my laps in video editor, looks like my fast lap was a 1:53.760, about 2 seconds better than my fast lap in December, and about 4 seconds better than my November fast lap. :)

Back