EDK's Real Life Racing Exploits

• Thread starter EDK
  • 303 comments
Is there any payout for this at all? I'm thinking about talking my dad into coming and running an old gutted out capri I used to autocross, but he wont run if it wont net him anything...I will.

Is there any payout for this at all? I'm thinking about talking my dad into coming and running an old gutted out capri I used to autocross, but he wont run if it wont net him anything...I will.

There are prizes for the podium winners. Directly copied from the rules at Chumpcar.com.

ChumpCar
1.5.4. Purse, Prize Monies and Other Awards – Unless otherwise stated in the Supplemental Rules:
1.5.4.1. For 24-Hour Events: First Place $1500, Second Place $750, Third Place $500. Total $2,750.
1.5.4.2. For single-day 12- or 14-Hour Events: First Place $1,000, Second Place $500, Third Place $250. Total $1,750.
1.5.4.3. For Double-7 Events: First Place $750, Second Place $350, Third Place $250 (per race). Total $1,350 (per race).
1.6. Prize money shall be pro-rated, based on the number of team entries for any one event:
1.6.1. Over 35 team entries, purse and prize money shall be awarded at 100%
1.6.2. Under 35 team entries, purse and prize money shall be awarded at 75%

There's an event in Portland this coming March 31st/April 1st that I will be running in, and then another in October. Also a couple events in Spokane.

It's the only form of organized racing I've participated in, but it's loads of fun and I don't regret a bit of the investment I've made.

Yeah, I was looking on the website but could not see that. Thanks, Hopefully will be back in Portland this summer, and that car is perfect for it. Just to gather drivers...hmmm the gears are turning, and I can already see the money going away!

At the airport, waiting to board my flight to Portland. I'm taking 2 stints in a 10 hour race tomorrow at PIR. Rain in the forecast, so I get to race in some full wet conditions, not the kinda wet stuff like last time at Laguna. We have some brand new Dunlop Direzzas that are supposed to be great in the rain. We'll see.

Pedal to the metal! :mischievous: Good luck, Kev. Bad weekend for me, but a 3hr drive to watch you would be totally worth it. 👍

Good luck Kevin I read all your previous write ups, all great 👍, especialy good was your win beating the smug BMW :sly:.

Keep on showing the other guys whos boss :cheers:.

EDK
At the airport, waiting to board my flight to Portland. I'm taking 2 stints in a 10 hour race tomorrow at PIR. Rain in the forecast, so I get to race in some full wet conditions, not the kinda wet stuff like last time at Laguna. We have some brand new Dunlop Direzzas that are supposed to be great in the rain. We'll see.

Good luck, Kevin! 👍 for the grip!!!!!!!

Check out LIVE INTERNET VIDEO! of this entire race, switching between 9 camera feeds, overlayed with timing data for each vehicle at http://www.pirlive.com/

Green flag at 9 am PST, in about 90 mins. I drive at about 11 am nd 5 pm. Checkered at 7 pm.

I ran some more laps in the MR2 this past weekend.

We had a track day on Saturday, and then the race was an 8 hour event on Sunday.

This was the first time on the track with the car since making an engine change and adding a Supercharger. The car was much, much faster than it was with a normally aspirated engine. My best lap time this weekend was in the 1'35's, my best prior lap time in the car at that track was in the 1'41's. We were hitting up to 118 MPH on the back straight, whereas that number was closer to 105 MPH before.

We had a few issues with the car, the fuel rail came loose while I was in the car Saturday, that was a bit scary, gas everywhere, but no fire, thank goodness. Then we had to change a wheel bearing, back rotors and a supercharger belt on Saturday night to get ready for Sunday.

Sunday, we were in first when I got out of the car. I opened the race for us, and passed all but one car, and lapped several cars. The one car I did not pass pitted 10 minutes or so before us.

We noticed a vibration that was getting progressively worse, and checked it out about 4 hours into the day. The rear wheel bearing on the same side was almost shot. He sent me out and asked me to run 1'42 laps to be easier on the bearing and fuel while he ran home to pull a spindle assembly off a spare car.

We had live timing in the car thanks to an android app and GPS receiver I bought for the race weekend, which was quite nice. I was able to see where I needed to back off to hit that lap time. I was short shifting the car and using more gears than normal, 3rd-5th, rather than just 3rd and 4th.

I made it about 1 hour 30 and he just made it back in time for me to come in for my pit. He changed the wheel bearing assembly in about 30 minutes and we were back on track with 2 hours to go. He brought the other driver in with 1 hour 15 left, and asked me to get in the car and try to improve our 6th position.

I was hot on it right out of the gate, and hit a 1'36.0 on my first hotlap. The slower running had allowed me to settle down and learn some things in a few turns that I planned to apply to this session. That was all for naught, as the Supercharger intercooler blew up on my second hotlap, so I had to shut the car down.

When I was getting towed, the first place car threw a rod through the side of the motor while being waved by the tow vehicle! But we were done of the day as well, it was a race of attrition, for sure.

Here are a couple of videos from the race.

First, my fast lap, a 1:35.5. It's about 6 seconds faster than my lap in the NA car.

Next, the car blowing up at the end and the Mustang blowing up after.

Too bad about the engine troubles, but that comes with racing in the real world.

Enjoyed the vids. 👍

Ran a race last weekend in Portland. We had a Supercharger on the car this race, but it was run in the rain. We ran an SC race in June, and my fast lap was 20 seconds faster than in this race.

Most of the way through my first stint, about 4 pm. My fast lap.

2 laps later, this crazy spin.

Here's my fastest lap ever on the track, in the dry last June.

Last edited:
Looks good fun EDK. Good save btw 👍. (Lucky also that the green car never collected you.. ;))

Track looks like ICE! :scared:

Great vids, Kev, and I hope you guys did well in the race. 👍

Great vids, Kev, and I hope you guys did well in the race. 👍

We were 18th out of something like 54 cars. We had a few issues. The second driver of the day (2 before the stint my vids are from) spun in the same turn I did but dipped a wheel in the grass and hit the tire wall on track left. We lost a couple laps when he came in for repairs.

Then when night came around, one of our tail lights was not working due to the crash, and we had to spend some time fixing that. We lost 4 or 5 laps to that, at least.

Front drive cars ruled the day, the podium was a CRX, a Prelude and a Neon.

I ran a stint in an E30 BMW at Laguna yesterday. As you might imagine, that was fun. ;)

The first driver ran off track in turn 5 on lap 2 and broke the right tie rod while flattening 2 tires. And we also had some sound issues late in the day that had us come in a few times. But we still finished top 10 for the race (9th on the day).

Here's my fast lap, my fastest ever at Laguna and in the 1:52's.

Don't forget to make it HD. :D

Awesome lap Kev 👍

I just love the corrections mid corner and the fact that you are leaning so heavily on the rears in the downhill left hander after the corkscrew..... Takes balls to push it hard through that corner!!

That lap should get you a promotion to D1 at least :sly:

Congrats Kev! look like you had a blast, good driving! 👍

..Almost look like you had SRF on. :D

Back