Elite: Dangerous

• Thread starter marky5244
  • 749 comments
I need to start playing this again, only managed two logins this month. Since Space Engineers is finally coming to xbox so I went ahead a pre-ordered it. I probably won't be playing Elite for quite awhile once that releases.

Well, the beta on PC is diabolical. The carrier's cost 5 billion and have a minimum 10 million per week running costs. I've got 4.2 billion with 300 million in disposal ships but I've been totally put off playing this now.

Carriers were always going to be designed for the uber-rich and uber-dedicated, that was pretty clear from the start. I'm still not entirely sure what their purpose is other than bragging rights, although it appears they technically can be used to navigate some of the impossible gaps in the galaxy. Even if I do ever get around to giving this game the time I'd like to, I doubt I'll ever be in the carrier group(see what I did there?). It's a shame that all the time & effort put into these things and most players probably aren't actually going to get anything new until the paid update a few months down the road.

I've played this game for over 500 hours and still don't have 1 billion let alone 5. It would take me at least 44 hours at a rate of 100 million an hour just to buy a carrier. Then the upkeep costs force you to keep "playing" for fear of it being decommissioned. Zero interest in this update for me.

Carrier update is launched.
Screenshot_2020-06-11-13-29-20.png

They're supposed to be trying today to fix people with not missions available, some sort of powerplay imbalance I hadn't heard about, and a number of missing sites of interest(the post mentions Dav's Hope, Jameson crash site and Guardian sites).

I've read some reports of some other oddball things like passengers from missions that got timed out during the maintenance being permanently stuck in their cabins even it sent to storage, materials from surface deposits spawning kilometers away from where they should, and some weird audio glitches like station sounds being played long after leaving a port. Also being notified of mission messages and destinations but none appearing. Maybe some other things I don't remember. Kind of standard everything falls apart for a few days after a patch stuff I think.

And none of the stations give any audio messages when you are coming in or leaving port. Obviously all less noticeable to people just wandering around out in the black. Personally I despise the minor tweaks to the menu in stations but that's not a bug and I'm sure I'm in the minority there.

Hopefully a lot of it was caused by whatever server issues they say caused the missing sites and powerplay stuff that they're working on today.

I only play solo and had silent stations and phantom messages, as far as I know everybody has the same issues.

They've put out at least one more patch and some maintenance to hopefully fix most of the issues. Station sounds are back(important for me as I'm gearing up to leave the bubble for the first time) and as far as I know the mission problems and communications issues are fixed. I guess there's probably something else wrong(somebody was just complaining about a clean pirate that killing for a mission made them wanted), but I suppose there always is.

They've put out at least one more patch and some maintenance to hopefully fix most of the issues. Station sounds are back(important for me as I'm gearing up to leave the bubble for the first time) and as far as I know the mission problems and communications issues are fixed. I guess there's probably something else wrong(somebody was just complaining about a clean pirate that killing for a mission made them wanted), but I suppose there always is.

Yeah like being able to earn 400,000,000 credits in a couple of hours in a Krait MkII. Mining is seriously OP at the moment.

Yeah like being able to earn 400,000,000 credits in a couple of hours in a Krait MkII. Mining is seriously OP at the moment.

Nice. FDev clearly finds balance hard. Carriers haven't exactly helped in that regard. I only mine with a puny little laser for amusement so I don't make anything from it, by the time I get around to getting a ship set up to do it properly they'll probably take all the mining moneys everyone's complained about(or complained about being "forced" to do) for the last couple years away.

Well I don't know how dedicated one has to be, I personally have over 2.2 billion and loads of engineered ships, around 30 or so. I've put in well over 1500 hours into this game and to me the idea of getting a carrier just doesn't seem feasible at the moment. It needs to come greatly down in price and upkeep, otherwise it's a feature that will be useless to 95% of elite players.

Well I don't know how dedicated one has to be, I personally have over 2.2 billion and loads of engineered ships, around 30 or so. I've put in well over 1500 hours into this game and to me the idea of getting a carrier just doesn't seem feasible at the moment. It needs to come greatly down in price and upkeep, otherwise it's a feature that will be useless to 95% of elite players.

Honestly I think fleet carriers have shown that ED's code base is end of life, and the game requires a complete rewrite to be able to go forward.

My reasoning behind this is that what most players wanted was to fly a large vessel that could transport a number of your ships. What they got were movable space stations. On the surface that my seem like the same thing but it's not.

My feeling is that Frontier realised that implementing FCs as a ship that you could actually fly would effectively break the game with the existing codebase, but they found they could introduce another type of space station, that, with a bit of server side patching could be moved by the player to other systems.

FCs really are a bodge job.

Page 7 Resurrection.

Heads up to anyone who only bought the base version of the game. They've updated it and you get Horizons for free. That's quite a bit of extra content.

Page 7 Resurrection.

Heads up to anyone who only bought the base version of the game. They've updated it and you get Horizons for free. That's quite a bit of extra content.
Its been years since I've played but I might start it back up because of this. Now to re-wrap my head around the controls.

Fired up the game earlier this week and got hooked instantly again. Well, as soon as I figured out what the hell I was even doing, and finally remembered what I'm supposed to do as it's been quite a few years lol.

My game loaded me into the middle of space, and trying to relearn everything while just floating around was pretty difficult, I couldn't even remember how to pull up the galaxy map or find a station! Got all that out of the way and got on with some trading, and I actually don't mind it. My first playthrough was mainly bounty hunting. Once you find a good trade route, its kind of addicting. Right now I'm mainly trading silver between 2 markets while I upgrade the Type-7 I just purchased.

I sold nearly all my ships to get to 5 billion credits, I was intending to buy a fleet carrier, but when they came out it took no time at all to not buy one.

I'm left with my beloved Dolphin, a Diamondback explorer, Krait Phantom, Beluga, Python and Imperial Cutter.

The Cutter because trade requires raw tonnage capacity and the Beluga because it's so nice to fly. The rest are sentimental (python) or are exploration focused. Only the Dolphin (nearly all the time) and the Beluga get any flight time these days.

Page 7 Resurrection post.

No Odyssey for PS4/Xbox series so the Devs with be allowing account transfer to PC. This doesn't remove anything from your console save but allows you to access Odyssey on PC.

And it crashes a lot on PS5.

Last edited:
Page 7 Resurrection post.

No Odyssey for PS4/Xbox series so the Devs with be allowing account transfer to PC. This doesn't remove anything from your console save but allows you to access Odyssey on PC.

And it crashes a lot on PS5.
At least this is what they came for. Big letdown after abandoning console release. When the transfer will happen?

I had 5 billion so I thought I'd buy a carrier. I spent one day using it and then got rid of it.

Simple little things like picking up 64 limpets in my mining Python and then not being able to switch to my Beluga because it doesn't have a cargo rack... No man's sky keeps each ship self contained......

I had 5 billion so I thought I'd buy a carrier. I spent one day using it and then got rid of it.

Simple little things like picking up 64 limpets in my mining Python and then not being able to switch to my Beluga because it doesn't have a cargo rack... No man's sky keeps each ship self contained......
Just drop the limpets, they only cost like 100 credits a pop.

They're still basically free. Being stuck with valuable cargo that can't be sold in any nearby system can be a pain, but limpets are not that. Elite doesn't let you do some of the things NMS does. NMS doesn't let you do some of the things Elite does.

I've been playing both of them and what one is good at the other one sucks. It works both ways.

Well. Where to start? I bought Odyssey on my PC. Man have they made a mistake. There is no UI feature that wasn't better on Horizons. None. Missions, ship parts, the galaxy map. Everything UI wise is worse. It is truly staggering. 12 major updates to ship a game with an UI that looks as if it was designed with a controller in mind. I'm hoping update 13, next week, will do something about this as it is when Horizon PC players go on the same 4.0 build as Odyssey. Luckily they will still be able to go back to 3.8 for the user interface alone.

There are good things. The concourse in the station you can walk about in is really cool.

I haven't tried any FPS yet but getting your feet on the ground on a planet is good. If you like a black screen and appearing outside in a blue round transmat.

I've found a use for the Carrier. Missions that take you to a destination that is a very long way from the jump in point. Now you just have to wait 15 minutes for the Carrier jump to happen.

I've spent a couple more days with Odyssey on PC and got used to most of the changes to the UI. The Galaxy map though. That is really bad.

September brings the ability to transfer your save to the PC version. You'll have to delete you save on PC for the transfer over. You'll still have the save on console. Things that won't be transferred: ARCs and Carrier.

Back