Elite: Dangerous

• Thread starter marky5244
  • 749 comments
I've seen plenty of examples of the AI not quite managing to get the Beluga out of a station. What makes the devs think I'd sit back and watch the AI do that to my Beluga?

They are listening to feedback from their community, one of the most frequent requests is for more hand-holding for beginners, understandable, this game is hard. I don't use a docking computer on any of my ships but when I briefly had one on my Anaconda it did fine. On all of the beginning ships, like the sidewinder, Adder, Hauler, Cobra etc, it should also work just fine.

I'm not a big fan of hand-holding but I'm not looking at the metrics they are either, like the attach rate for new players dropping the game after two hours because they find it too hard. All of these new tutorials and flight assist aids are aimed at curbing that problem. The new navigation tabs will make exploring even better, and trading is finally getting a good buff too, lots of good coming in this update.

On another note, I finally unlocked Prismatic Shields last night!

I'm back in Altair and now I'm building slowly an anti Thargoid Scout ship Vulture.

Edit. Or not.

I'm heading back out into the black. I don't like the bubble very much anymore. :ouch:

Last edited:
I got to Beagle and now I've just arrived back at Explorer's Anchorage.

My Dolphin looks a bit used up though. I'm not going to fix the paint.

I ran without a shield and suffered no damage to hull or modules. I've effectively travelled the entire width of the Galaxy and half again and it is taking a very long time to cash in all the exploration data.

Our faction, Imperial Council Of Nobles (ICON) is expanding again (for the third time), just got done fighting a war in a neighboring system, we want this one because it has a Comp Nav Beacon and a nice station with Interstellar Factors. We are effectively in 3 different systems now, going to let things settle down for awhile, I don't want to expand too fast.

Finally unlocked the Corvette... never fly it because Painite mining in the Cutter is way too profitable. This was after a 3-hour mining run, and I had all ten refinery bins full too. Mining is so relaxing with good music on :)

20190808022157_1.jpg

20190807170245_1.jpg

Finally unlocked the Corvette... never fly it because Painite mining in the Cutter is way too profitable. This was after a 3-hour mining run, and I had all ten refinery bins full too. Mining is so relaxing with good music on :)

View attachment 841918

View attachment 841919

Congrats on getting it now you need to engineer the crap out of it.

I'm the opposite, it's the Cutter I never fly. One of my friends uses it as his main mining ship and says it's the best, but I love my Python the best for mining. I use the Corvette as my main conflict zone ship (when I'm not flying the Krait) because it destroys everything and because it maneuvers great for a large ship, far better than the Anaconda does. My shields barely every lose more than a ring and they are only rated at 3800 (my friend has his Vette's shields over 9000).

I am trying out the Cutter as a trading ship now and it's useful for that purpose, it has 430T plus cargo, it's decently quick with Grade 4 Dirty Drives but does have a lot of drift in comparison to the much sharper handling Vette.

Played for a while, mostly bounty hunting and trucking.

Anaconda, FDL, best ship was my Fed Gunship.

Stopped playing when it became apparent Frontier has no interest in keeping any promises. A year waiting for carriers only to end up with a tutorial that broke the game whilst Frontier lined their pockets with that sweet Jurassic Park money.

Shame really. Game is mechanically sound (except for the ridiculous time sink and supercruise is a pain) but so little actual meat to the content. Little to no reason to explore, massive grind barriers toward accomplishing anything.

Thinking about this game makes me sad. No Man's Sky managed to completely retcon itself into a vaguely playable game during the time ED took to add 4 ships which were mostly reskin/refits of what we already had.

Congrats on getting it now you need to engineer the crap out of it.

Done it, that's why my bank balance was so "low" on that last trip! ;)

I love my Python the best for mining.

I made my first load of money with the Python, then switched to an Asp-X for the abrasion convergance (didn't know it was a glitch!), but you can't get much cargo in it. Even with double collection limpets to speed up harvesting the Cutter can take 512+10. If I was core mining (and it's manouverable enough for that) I could get 1.6 million a ton, that cargo space makes a big difference. My Cutter is permanently fitted out for both core and surface mining, I just assign the set of tools I'm using in Fire Control.

I use the Corvette as my main conflict zone ship (when I'm not flying the Krait) because it destroys everything and because it maneuvers great for a large ship, far better than the Anaconda does.

Yep, my 60LY Anaconda's gone back to being deep space exploration, if I get round to another long trip. My first trip out in the Corvette and I was attacked by a Mostly Harmless Sidewinder (true story), it lasted about 0.2 seconds into my first shot.

I am trying out the Cutter as a trading ship now and it's useful for that purpose, it has 430T plus cargo, it's decently quick with Grade 4 Dirty Drives but does have a lot of drift in comparison to the much sharper handling Vette.

The drift is horrible, when I'm mining I just use the lateral thrusters which seem much more responsive when there's no forward motion. Shouldn't you be getting a lot more than 430T cargo in it?

A year waiting for carriers only to end up with a tutorial that broke the game whilst Frontier lined their pockets with that sweet Jurassic Park money.

I think the fleet carriers are in the next update - sure I read it somewhere. I always fly alone so it's not something I'd be doing. I tend to go back to the game every six months or so, this time around I finished the Federation rank grind (Sothis-Ceos, eeugh) and built a proper miner.

I think the fleet carriers are in the next update - sure I read it somewhere. I always fly alone so it's not something I'd be doing. I tend to go back to the game every six months or so, this time around I finished the Federation rank grind (Sothis-Ceos, eeugh) and built a proper miner.
It would still stand a chance at dragging me and my crew back if they get it right. It's always there if I fancy it but every time I start thinking about long haul supercruising it puts me off...

Sothis-Ceos... The very mention sends a shiver down my spine. Done a lot of that. Made most of my money out there, as well as big bountry contracts in Civil War systems (easily done with some help) and Dolphin spacebussing. Probably enjoyed the latter most as it will actually take you to some interesting locations. Upgraded to an Orca with a luxury cabin and the money can get pretty nice.

I dunno though, they would have to add a serious amount of extra mission content to drag me back. Prospect of the engineer and guardian grinds is not exciting. I have a conda fully a-rated and half engineered just sat there that I put a lot of time in to afford but as soon as I got in the cockpit I felt no motivation to use it.

Done it, that's why my bank balance was so "low" on that last trip! ;)

I made my first load of money with the Python, then switched to an Asp-X for the abrasion convergance (didn't know it was a glitch!), but you can't get much cargo in it. Even with double collection limpets to speed up harvesting the Cutter can take 512+10. If I was core mining (and it's manouverable enough for that) I could get 1.6 million a ton, that cargo space makes a big difference. My Cutter is permanently fitted out for both core and surface mining, I just assign the set of tools I'm using in Fire Control.

Yep, my 60LY Anaconda's gone back to being deep space exploration, if I get round to another long trip. My first trip out in the Corvette and I was attacked by a Mostly Harmless Sidewinder (true story), it lasted about 0.2 seconds into my first shot.

The drift is horrible, when I'm mining I just use the lateral thrusters which seem much more responsive when there's no forward motion. Shouldn't you be getting a lot more than 430T cargo in it?

I could get more if I wanted to ditch things like the SRV and Guardian FSD booster, but I'm getting 40ly unladen and 33ly laden right now. I like your idea of an all around mining vessel better, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at Painite mining either.

The Vette just killed Anaconda for me because at the time it was a my main large combat ship. Recently though, I blew the dust off it and re-engineered the legacy engineering mods. The ship is now a full-fledged exploration ship that gets 77ly, it's a jump-a-conda. The plan is to take it out on a long journey starting in Sept with a friend, we may go to Colonia, neither one of us has been there yet. I also bought a 2nd Anaconda and engineered it for combat with Dual Plasma Accelerators, the experimental effect applied is: Plasma Slugs. So I'm enjoying the Anaconda again, both of them.

I need to be working on getting a Guardian FSD booster next... got a link for a good online guide?

There's tons up on youtube, but even then, the terrain can be very tricky in some sites. I did it with air support and that made it a lot easier to have someone point the way from the air.

getting that FSD boost was a pain for me, I took someone for air support but he couldn't get down properly or crashed, can't remember now. So I got my asp down just under a KM from the site then I somehow managed to get all the pylons activated with less than a minute left on the clock. The part I got lucky on was the end bit with all the drones, after giving me the run around for 5 minutes they all just stopped and stayed still while I blew em to bits lol.

EDIT: I fancied getting out for a bit of exploring recently, going no where in particular but heading in the general direction of Colonia. I love my anaconda for this, its stripped down to bare(ish) minimum and does 67ly jumps with a full tank. I got a few more ly's out of it since I last played and could probably get some more if I got rid of the SRV's(X2) and used a smaller engineered powerplant.

Last edited:
Easy for me with a Dolphin with point air defence to take down the missiles. After I'd watched a YouTube video and took a screen shot of the map.

I need to be working on getting a Guardian FSD booster next... got a link for a good online guide?
Using the structures as physical cover for your SRV can take out some of the ballache. Their projectiles will splash harmlessly off the pillars if you can put them between you. My brother got his by visiting just three sites, I think - you should be able to find the quickest way online somewhere relatively easy.

As I remember, there is a loot drop/RNG element to what components you get so prepare to potentially bang your head against the wall.

I always found the guardian drone shots move you more than they hurt you, so if you're good with the SRV you should be able to mitigate some of the damage with the thrusters if you do get hit. My brother did it all with the SRV turret.

From what I understand, it's a case of learning which sites to go to, which pillars to go to, and then rinsing and repeating (fastest with combat logging IIRC) until you get all the right drops. Took him a couple of days, I think. Was a while ago.

I never did any guardian stuff. Was already losing my drive when it came around and it felt like it made my Fed Gunship basically irrelevant which was annoying.

This is really to everyone that wants to take on the guardian sites, be sure to fit point defense on whatever ship you are using because it helps immensely by taking out the missiles that the Sentinels fire at you. Your ship will automatically fire them when you are in your SRV, so be sure to park your ship just outside the Guardian site. This one tip made it so much easier to take out the Sentinels and still have enough time to activate the Pylons.

I haven't got much to say, I'm still out doing a bit of exploring trying to get my second elite. But I noticed this on my steam profile the big 500 lol.
500.png

I've been out traveling on vacation again but I'm just getting back now and hearing some news about fleet carriers. Something like:

-They will be available to individuals instead of squadrons
- Will be able to jump 500ly.
- They will come with support vehicles(?)

Haven't had time to dig into the details of today's announcement though. I bet a Fleet Carrier is going to cost a pretty penny, time to start void opal mining again.

Engineering is bugged since the update last night. The screen freezes when you select the module to upgrade. Should be fixed soon I imagine.

It's a shame because just this week I figured out what engineering was all about. I was going around planetary surfaces, mining materials from geological sites, finally something fun to do on a planets surface. I never knew what the materials were for.

This game needs a definitive guide right in the game though, there is soooo much to do in this game but you just have to figure it out. I mean how the heck is anyone supposed to figure out deep core mining without finding instructions it on the internet? Seems every time I hear about something you can do in this game I have to google it and look up how to do it on external websites.

I still enjoy this game but it leaves so much to be desired. Just last night I was mining a geo-site inside of this crater and I just imagined a huge combined arms battle, like with infantry and armor and air support and how amazing that would be, like a combination of Arma and ED. I think there is so much potential in space games like ED with procedural generation, it just needs to focus in on what it wants to do.

I think my dream game would be ED mixed with Total War, mixed with Arma. Elite Dangerous' full galaxy with trillions of planets and seemingly unlimited amount of factions and awesome live market system. Couple that with an empire building and management aspect, with income/expenditures, creating and managing fleets and ground armies. Then ultimately, fighting with those armies in first person for control over the different geological sites and stations etc. One can dream eh?

Last edited:
Last time I played I read the instructions in the game about how to do deep core mining. Are they wrong? I haven't actually tried doing it yet as I don't have the equipment or a suitable place to mount it all.

Last time I played I read the instructions in the game about how to do deep core mining. Are they wrong? I haven't actually tried doing it yet as I don't have the equipment or a suitable place to mount it all.

I'm not sure, I play on PS4. Any help section I've been able to find is very limited and only offers a brief description, not a step by step guide. Maybe I'm dumb and missed something though, that's entirely possible haha.

I'm not sure, I play on PS4. Any help section I've been able to find is very limited and only offers a brief description, not a step by step guide. Maybe I'm dumb and missed something though, that's entirely possible haha.

On PC I think it is in the codex, accessed from the panels on the right side of the cockpit. There's several pages of basic info about all the major types of activities in there - exploration, mining, etc. Probably doesn't tell you the most efficient way to do everything, but it seems to cover how things work well enough. Told me all the parts I needed for deep core mining and roughly how to so it.

I think I do remember some other help screens somewhere else or in an older version that weren't terribly helpful.

I can't say what's on PS4 though. I also haven't played in a couple weeks so some things may have moved around with the update that just released.

You can still buy and sell ship parts for ARX

Not that I'm complaining about the exploit as I will sure as heck use it, but I was very surprised when I first played this game and noticed you can sell stuff for the exact price you bought it, unlike basically any other game/real life where things lose value as soon as they leave the lot. And now that game mechanic has turned into a very handy exploit hehe :D.

I've headed back out into the black. Polo station first and then on to Colonia. Taking my time this time. I'm getting ARX for scanning things so at least I'm going to earn while I explore.

I Got back from a little exploration run (10-15,000 LY out and back) and managed to get my exploration rank to 80% pioneer. I decided to cheese the last 20% and follow one of the road to riches routes, Was surprising profitable and got about 40 million credits for about 5 hours work. Would be a good thing to do if you just started since it needs very little equipment (Detailed surface scanner).

I decided to help out with one of the community missions once I got back to the bubble, hauling 432 tonnes of pesticide is quiet fun in a corvette. I submit to all interdictions and just make an absolute mess of them.

20191015100347_1.jpg

DOUBLE ELITE!
20191015100401_1.jpg

So I started on the Xbox a few years ago, switched to PS4 for the HOTAS when the PS4 version was released, transferred my commander profile over as well. I build a decent gaming PC back in August and had my PS4 commander transferred to my PC account, last night I finally got to purchase some prismatic shields. Feels nice, now I just need to work on getting my ranks back to get my Cutter and Corvette built up again.

Anyone have suggestions on what power play modules I should look at getting next? I don't really do the power play stuff, just wait 3 weeks and buy my rank for the next reset and prismatics are the only thing I ever gotten in all my years of playing.

A Generation ship has been discovered with live people on it. There is a community goal for it.

Back