Elite: Dangerous

• Thread starter marky5244
  • 749 comments
I haven't been able to play yet as I'm working today, but I'll hit the tutorials as soon as I can tonight.

Any first impressions from anyone on a regular PS4?

Yes. It's fine. Nice graphics and smooth frame rate. None of the screen tearing that was evident from videos of the disc version that was playable straight away - but I haven't played it enough to put that one totally to bed.

It compares favourably with the steam version I play on laptop. Naturally someone running it on a 1060/70/80 card will have a different opinion.

I'm running it on a PS4 Pro and it looks great, no frame rate slowdown that I have noticed yet, even having set the graphics options to bias towards visuals rather than performance (the PS4 Pro boost mode seems to take care of the frame rate).

This really makes me wish they had cross platform play. It would be cool to fly around with people experiencing the game for the first time, and help them figure things out.

Ha. Experience counts for nothing in my case. Top 10% in a cg on PC but killed by station on day 1 PS4. Went to lower landing gear, circle + down, activated boost instead (circle,) :ouch:

Because......Aliens

Thargoid base found

HIP 19026 B 1 C

Went out there last night, the base is massive, it's miles wide and very creepy. there are two working doors but you will need a Unknown Artifact (UA) to open them, I did not bring one with me but I was still able to scan the terminal thing inside the base from outside the closed door so I got the scan data anyway. Once inside there is a central chamber but rubble and cave-ins obstruct you from going further.

2nd base:
Tonight I am going to head out to other Thargoid base that was found, apparently there are 5 total but only two have been found. The other one is in HIP 14909 and apparently is far more interactive with a working central chamber (minus the rubble too), if you activate it, you get a light show.

b2e45b61-5f6b-478e-82f3-601b29be7c7b.PNG

Odd time delays yesterday. I was getting the successful docking and services available messages after I'd finished up what I was doing, had selected my destination and launched to leave the Station. The messages were then followed by the ones you do get when you launch. Server issue after a patch downtime period. Happened on both PC and PS4.

Also my gold sidewinder is showing the default colours but when I check the livery it says it's golden. :confused::confused:

Apologies for the double post but I thought I'd let you know everything I posted above is fixed.

Additionally, ObsidiantAnt, a youtube poster has made a couple of videos aimed at PS4 beginners. Check them out below.

Spent another hour or 2 today doing boom delivery missions around the starter systems netting me 300K. There are more relatively lucrative deals (for beginners at least) than I thought :)
Bought myself a Hauler and upgraded it to 16T cargo and 18Ly jump range.

Got my Cobra III at last and put 24 tons of rares into the Lave cg. I'll get, as it stands, 700,000 for making the top 100% plus 700,000 for rank 7 reached.

It ends in a few hours and is an easy money boost to anyone that can reach Lave with some rares in the hold. Don't forget to sign up for the cg in the mission section or you won't get it. Lave Station is where you dock to sell your rares.

Update. The 24 tons got me in 100% last evening when I did just one run. This evening when I went back to Lave Station to claim my bounty it had put me in the top 75%. That's the easiest 5.8 million I've ever earned!

Last edited:
Evening fellas.

I've picked the game up and wow it's a tricky beast to play. The landing in stations and combat being particularly hard.

However it's a nice looking game and looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Evening fellas.

I've picked the game up and wow it's a tricky beast to play. The landing in stations and combat being particularly hard.

Stick with it and it is very rewarding, the learning curve is very steep but you'll get there eventually and be flying like a pro.

Evening fellas.

Alot of easing the difficulty in combat, comes down to managing your Pip system, it makes the game easier. Also you'll learn your ships capabilities, and which situations to avoid.

The landing part takes a bit to get down, but it gets pretty easy after awhile. I put a docking computer on most my ships now, just for the ease of it. Plus on some of my more pricier ships, they tend to be very large and it's just way more convenient, that and not having to worry about $35 million+ rebuy.

Alot of easing the difficulty in combat, comes down to managing your Pip system, it makes the game easier. Also you'll learn your ships capabilities, and which situations to avoid.

The landing part takes a bit to get down, but it gets pretty easy after awhile. I put a docking computer on most my ships now, just for the ease of it. Plus on some of my more pricier ships, they tend to be very large and it's just way more convenient, that and not having to worry about $35 million+ rebuy.

What Prousonhairy said^^

At first you have to concentrate really hard on just piloting your ship so things like PIP management are an afterthought, but once you get the flying part down, you will be able to multitask much faster and do things like Pip management on the fly. You control PIPs by using your D-pad, you can allot more power to your Engines (overall speed, boost), weapons (lasers, missiles, cannons etc) , or systems (shields, FSD jump booting sequence). My default is 4 pips to engines and 2 pips to systems. I only allot more power to weapons when in a battle, but you may just want to leave two pips in each until you get the hang of things.

I don't personally use Docking Computers because they're are a convenience item and take up a valuable module slot that I would rather use on something else. But I would recommend getting one when you first buy a large ship like an Anaconda, at least until you get the hang of flying it. That thing barely fits through the mail slot.

Yesterday I switched to Solo play because in Open the game just became laggy as hell.
Taking ages to engage or disengage FSD, slideshowstyle framerate in space stations, etc. In Solo I have none of that matter.
Perhaps ongoing PSN maintenance that was causing this? Not sure. My connection is usually excellent in other games.

Yesterday I switched to Solo play because in Open the game just became laggy as hell.
Taking ages to engage or disengage FSD, slideshowstyle framerate in space stations, etc. In Solo I have none of that matter.
Perhaps ongoing PSN maintenance that was causing this? Not sure. My connection is usually excellent in other games.

Probably still dialing in the servers for PS4. On Xbox One it was lightening fast, only problem for me was the Frontier Store was down.

I had written off this game a long time ago as just another PC game that requires expensive hardware, so I was very surprised to see it pop up on the PS Store as I happened to be browsing yesterday. Then I presumed it requires PS+ judging from the info page (which is never clear on that), but it appears that's not the case?

I've always wanted to try modern space sims but have never had a powerful PC or an interest in joining a multiplayer-only universe. If I don't need PS+ to play and the game is worthy, I'm interested!

I had written off this game a long time ago as just another PC game that requires expensive hardware, so I was very surprised to see it pop up on the PS Store as I happened to be browsing yesterday. Then I presumed it requires PS+ judging from the info page (which is never clear on that), but it appears that's not the case?

I've always wanted to try modern space sims but have never had a powerful PC or an interest in joining a multiplayer-only universe. If I don't need PS+ to play and the game is worthy, I'm interested!
Plus is required for online and group modes but not for solo mode.

Edit too slow due to cg trading.

My colleague asked what is a nice space game to play together and I remembered buying this long time ago. After playing it 2 times I never touched it again. Was too stubborn to read so did that now and woah, having so much fun! We got the Horizons season pass too so need to check that out pretty soon.

Love the music too, really fits with the scenery :D
35640310815_bd8f962464_o.jpg

35640304135_f458ce7203_o.jpg

35640300475_370ec53245_o.jpg

35253466110_f8947c6141_o.jpg

My colleague asked what is a nice space game to play together and I remembered buying this long time ago. After playing it 2 times I never touched it again. Was too stubborn to read so did that now and woah, having so much fun! We got the Horizons season pass too so need to check that out pretty soon.

Love the music too, really fits with the scenery :D
35640310815_bd8f962464_o.jpg

35640304135_f458ce7203_o.jpg

35640300475_370ec53245_o.jpg

35253466110_f8947c6141_o.jpg
It really is one of the coolest games I've ever played. It's awesome to see new people enjoying it, and that PlayStation owners can also play now. I can't wait to see how it looks on my 55" OLED that's arriving in about 12 hours. :)

I'm probably overlooking something, but how do you disable all HUD/text display in free look mode on PS4 in order to take clean screenshots?

Have done a couple of boom the time missions and bought a Cobra Mk3. Mostly because it's very well loved and nicely balanced. Enjoying the game very much, haven't touched Horizons yet, when I start it everything will be the same right (spawn location etc)? And then need a new ship to carry the ground vehicle?

Have done a couple of boom the time missions and bought a Cobra Mk3. Mostly because it's very well loved and nicely balanced. Enjoying the game very much, haven't touched Horizons yet, when I start it everything will be the same right (spawn location etc)? And then need a new ship to carry the ground vehicle?
On PC? It will use your existing save. Nothing changes except you clicked on Horizons rather than Elite Dangerous to play so you continue from where you left off - you just gain access to the Horizons only stuff. Your ship can carry the required module for driving around on a moon.

On PC? It will use your existing save. Nothing changes except you clicked on Horizons rather than Elite Dangerous to play so you continue from where you left off - you just gain access to the Horizons only stuff. Your ship can carry the required module for driving around on a moon.

The Cobra can? Cool! So I assume I have to find a shipyard or something to buy the ground module?

The Cobra can? Cool! So I assume I have to find a shipyard or something to buy the ground module?

https://eddb.io/

That's all you need right there. Has module location/which stations you can find what modules at, uptated prices for the markets etc. pretty much anything you'll need to play the game, it will find the best trade routes for your ship, for your location etc. Its extremely badass.

There's several other helpful sites too.

This site here has all the info you'll need on the engineers, stats, what items you'll need etc. they also have other info, I just used it for engineers though:

http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

This next site is a great shipbuilding site, there's another one called Corilolis shipyard, I use ED shipyard though because it's better optimized for mobile:

http://www.edshipyard.com/

There's also place you can get discounts on ships. You can look all that info up online as well. Once you get Elite status in any category, you get access to founders world, or Shinrata Dezra. It has every ship and module in the game, and at a 10% discount. That's where I live now, and keep my fleet. It's close to Sol. :)

If you have any questions, just google, there's tons of helpful info out there. 👍

Thank you very much @prousonhairy , those websites are very useful! I'm at work atm but will look into it tonight. Very excited to land on a planet :)

Getting Elite status in any category means every or at least one category? (Sorry language barrier) I'm around 60% for trading now. I really want to see some 'special' things, in other words I need to do some exploring. Like Pulsars, black holes or those alien sites everybody is talking about...

Thank you very much @prousonhairy , those websites are very useful! I'm at work atm but will look into it tonight. Very excited to land on a planet :)

Getting Elite status in any category means every or at least one category? (Sorry language barrier) I'm around 60% for trading now. I really want to see some 'special' things, in other words I need to do some exploring. Like Pulsars, black holes or those alien sites everybody is talking about...
Just Elite in one category There's several ranks in trading, combat, and exploration, before you reach Elite. I think it's five or six levels for each category. You're probably on your first rank of trading yet.

The higher your rank in the category, the longer it takes to level up to the next rank. I'm elite in trading, that's probably the easiest one to get to Elite first. I got it by trading imperial slaves for hours and hours(more like weeks probably) to make a bunch of money in the Type 9, then in my Imperial Cutter when I got it.

Back