Elite: Dangerous

• Thread starter marky5244
  • 749 comments
Thanks for the heads up on Boom jobs guys.

I've recently upgraded from the Sidwinder to a Type 6.

Allows me to shift a bit more about for bigger paydays.

I'm still waiting for a Federation mission to pop up. I've been sat waiting to move up the ranks for some time.

Once I get a little more cash I'll do some more outfitting of the type 6 and try and get the jump range up a tad.

However I'm really enjoying the game. It's my type of grind.
Don't worry about the Fed missions. They will show up when they do. I've passed up on a good few of them before finding one I wanted to do. If you keep doing boom missions you will still get the experience credited to your next rank, you just don't see it until your rank goes up.

@Tired Tyres I really want the Sol permit though. :)

I've heard about the specific ranking missions taking some time to show up.

It's nice now I've started to make in-roads with certain systems and factions. The increase in pay is a nice thing.

I'm back in Aditi working on my Imperial rank (to eventually obtain a Cutter), it's in Boom right now ,so there are plenty of data missions, cargo hauling, passenger and planetary scan missions to go around, went from Baron 70% to Viscount 50%. There were several times that I hit the mission limit from just one station, love it when it's in boom. I notice rank progression is moving a bit faster after the last update, FDEV said they were going to adjust that.

Moon landings in this game are silly. 👎 What bright spark thought a glide phase was a good idea for a rock with no atmosphere?

It is one area where No Mans Sky beats this game comprehensively.

Moon landings in this game are silly. 👎 What bright spark thought a glide phase was a good idea for a rock with no atmosphere?

It is one area where No Mans Sky beats this game comprehensively.

It seems like more of a loading screen/transition than anything else, but at least you retain control over your spaceship rather than it being an automated sequence (as a result of pushing a button) like in NMS.

What did you buy Carlos? Would love to see pics posted in photos thread once you get it customized :)
Kinda sucks for me, I just bought the Anaconda kit a couple weeks ago, oh well, figures lol.

Karma maybe? :P
Ship kit for my Cobra mk3 and blue weapons color. Will go on later today so I'll throw some screenshots in the other thread!

Petty officer (that's the fourth)

Just got my first rank and already at 100% for the next. Fully maxed Type 6 is working wonders.

Was a little dubious about my first ranked mission for the Fed. Smuggling Slaves. It didn't feel good and really goes against my personal play type.

Just got my first rank and already at 100% for the next. Fully maxed Type 6 is working wonders.

Was a little dubious about my first ranked mission for the Fed. Smuggling Slaves. It didn't feel good and really goes against my personal play type.

Trading Imperial slaves has made me over 1.5 billion. I get what you're saying about your play style. But when I can make 2.5-3 million every ten minutes or so hauling 720 imperial slaves. you bet I'm trading slaves in a game. :)

Trading Imperial slaves has made me over 1.5 billion. I get what you're saying about your play style. But when I can make 2.5-3 million every ten minutes or so hauling 720 imperial slaves. you bet I'm trading slaves in a game. :)

I hear that.

Don't do it then. Wait until a mission comes up that is easy and legal and do it. In the mean time just do boom missions and you'll be ready to level up again.

Nothing wrong with a little Role-Play, you can turn those down. My commander has never traded a single slave (turned down some very big offers in the process too), he still managed to become a billionaire plus and earned an Elite ranking in trade.

On another note, I still need to start mining for Selene Jean, why do I loathe the idea so much? Because I've tried mining, and I'm still slow at it. I probably should take it seriously and re-outfit either my python or Anaconda for it. Right now I have a Cobra MKIV outfitted for mining and that's it. I need to figure out the rhythm for blasting and sending limpets to collect too, I haven't tried the mining limpets yet either.

Nothing wrong with a little Role-Play, you can turn those down. My commander has never traded a single slave (turned down some very big offers in the process too), he still managed to become a billionaire plus and earned an Elite ranking in trade.

On another note, I still need to start mining for Selene Jean, why do I loathe the idea so much? Because I've tried mining, and I'm still slow at it. I probably should take it seriously and re-outfit either my python or Anaconda for it. Right now I have a Cobra MKIV outfitted for mining and that's it. I need to figure out the rhythm for blasting and sending limpets to collect too, I haven't tried the mining limpets yet either.
You'll want the biggest ship you have for that operation. I use my imperial cutter and put a refinery and the best and most collector limpets I can in, while still keeping around 500 tons storage. The more limpets you have running ore back and forth, the faster it is. I think I've had 12 limpets running at once. I used 4 mining lasers as well. It's pretty fun once you get the hang of it. You can go to a HAZ Res, they usually have better minerals/ores, just boost away quite a bit to get away from all the bad guys.

PS4 patch 1.05 is out. Supposed to fix the Horizons not working on secondary accounts and fixing the crash when you log out. Supposed to fix the disconnections issue as well, but that is speculative.

I've got 102 million to spend. Thinking about the Beluga. I've got a Python, which I bought during the last trade cg, I couldn't get into the top 10% with my Dolphin so I bought the Python and it earned enough to pay for itself including the payout from the cg all bar 2 million. It's put me in and kept me in the top 10% this time around but I love my Dolphin and I'm looking at its bigger brother now.

I also bought a Viper 3 for the cg as well. Anyone else surprised with how much better it is than the Viper 4?

PS4 patch 1.05 is out. Supposed to fix the Horizons not working on secondary accounts and fixing the crash when you log out. Supposed to fix the disconnections issue as well, but that is speculative.

I've got 102 million to spend. Thinking about the Beluga. I've got a Python, which I bought during the last trade cg, I couldn't get into the top 10% with my Dolphin so I bought the Python and it earned enough to pay for itself including the payout from the cg all bar 2 million. It's put me in and kept me in the top 10% this time around but I love my Dolphin and I'm looking at its bigger brother now.

I also bought a Viper 3 for the cg as well. Anyone else surprised with how much better it is than the Viper 4?

Viper 3 was my first purchased ship, I still love it and always will, but in retrospect I should have bought the Cobra MK III instead, it does everything the Viper MKIII can do and it holds more cargo. I even have the same Ship Kit Carlos has for it with the Orange Rattler paint job and it looks fantastic. Pound for Pound the Cobra MKIII is one of the best all around ships in the entire game, it excels at combat, mining, exploration, salvage, smuggling, and even light trading. The only thing you can't do in it is heavy trading so I had to buy a type 6 for that (until I worked my way up to the larger ships).

The Viper MKIII is one of the most maneuverable ships in the game but I don't think it is necessarily better than the Viper MK IV, which is a shield and hull tank Beast for a small ship and can last in CZ's for an unnaturally long time. Nothing against the Viper MKIII, but it's a lot more fragile of a ship than the MKIV is. If outfitted and engineered correctly the Viper MKIV can be a very tough ship to battle with even if you're in an A-rated Python.

Viper 3 was my first purchased ship, I still love it and always will, but in retrospect I should have bought the Cobra MK III instead, it does everything the Viper MKIII can do and it holds more cargo. I even have the same Ship Kit Carlos has for it with the Orange Rattler paint job and it looks fantastic. Pound for Pound the Cobra MKIII is one of the best all around ships in the entire game, it excels at combat, mining, exploration, salvage, smuggling, and even light trading. The only thing you can't do in it is heavy trading so I had to buy a type 6 for that (until I worked my way up to the larger ships).

The Viper MKIII is one of the most maneuverable ships in the game but I don't think it is necessarily better than the Viper MK IV, which is a shield and hull tank Beast for a small ship and can last in CZ's for an unnaturally long time. Nothing against the Viper MKIII, but it's a lot more fragile of a ship than the MKIV is. If outfitted and engineered correctly the Viper MKIV can be a very tough ship to battle with even if you're in an A-rated Python.
Cobra 3 was the first ship I bought. It earned me millions in rare trading and I use it for missions now. The Dolphin is now my rare trader and the Python is for bulk trading - it holds more than a Type 7 - I tanked up my Viper 4 - that's possibly why I don't like it. I'd take the maneuverability of the Viper 3 every time.

I bought the ship kit for the Cobra variant pack. It's Squadron red/white The Viper 3 is Orange Copperhead and the Python is Squadron blue/white

Need some advice from you pro guys :D I want to do a federal navy mission so I rank up with the Federation. Currently looking at a mission where I have to attack 6 pirates. My current setup doesn't have an interdictor, should I install one? (I kinda need the space for trading missions but I could give some up but then I need to focus more on assassinations to still earn good money) I have only done one assassination mission but did kill a few ships with bounties. Tried another assassination mission, kill 3 ships associated with a system. Went to the low conflict zone and found them but it was over quickly, for me :P Although the mission was actually for a combat rank higher I hoped I'd manage. Got better rail guns but they fry my ship almost instantly so I have to be careful. I really love them though and so far I don't have a problem aiming. I imagine this is much harder with a controller. Anyway I need to go after some pirates somewhere and before that scan the (don't remember what it's called, it's a satellite signal source) and then I know what their last known location is. Do I just need to scan and then get a message? I somehow struggled with this last time. Any idea if these 6 pirates fly together? Getting attacked by 5 while attacking 1 doesn't sound like something I could get out alive.

Space fights are pretty intense. Did many in DCS and the biggest difference for now is that you can't shoot missiles from many kilometers away without the guy knowing what hit him. In the F-15 you can even shoot every missile at once on multiple targets and get out even before splash. This isn't actually a bad thing, just forces you to get close which is much more rewarding. Is it possible with flight assist off to turn around in forward speed without losing energy? That'd be one hell of a surprise switch from defensive to offensive :lol:

Need some advice from you pro guys :D I want to do a federal navy mission so I rank up with the Federation. Currently looking at a mission where I have to attack 6 pirates. My current setup doesn't have an interdictor, should I install one? (I kinda need the space for trading missions but I could give some up but then I need to focus more on assassinations to still earn good money) I have only done one assassination mission but did kill a few ships with bounties. Tried another assassination mission, kill 3 ships associated with a system. Went to the low conflict zone and found them but it was over quickly, for me :P Although the mission was actually for a combat rank higher I hoped I'd manage. Got better rail guns but they fry my ship almost instantly so I have to be careful. I really love them though and so far I don't have a problem aiming. I imagine this is much harder with a controller. Anyway I need to go after some pirates somewhere and before that scan the (don't remember what it's called, it's a satellite signal source) and then I know what their last known location is. Do I just need to scan and then get a message? I somehow struggled with this last time. Any idea if these 6 pirates fly together? Getting attacked by 5 while attacking 1 doesn't sound like something I could get out alive.

Space fights are pretty intense. Did many in DCS and the biggest difference for now is that you can't shoot missiles from many kilometers away without the guy knowing what hit him. In the F-15 you can even shoot every missile at once on multiple targets and get out even before splash. This isn't actually a bad thing, just forces you to get close which is much more rewarding. Is it possible with flight assist off to turn around in forward speed without losing energy? That'd be one hell of a surprise switch from defensive to offensive :lol:

You don't have to do that mission, you can find another Federal Navy ascension mission. You won't lose a rank or anything, if you don't do it. I usually looked for an easy data delivery mission to rank up. I would sometimes stack 3-4 federal navy ascension missions, and do the one I found the target the quickest, or the mission I found the easiest.

A FSD interdictor will help for sure, you can just sell it when you are done and get your money back, then put your storage back in. Plus it's cool inderdicting wanted ships, just for fun. If you ever start using the engineers to modify modules/parts, make sure you put those parts into module storage when swapping parts. If you sell them you will lose the engineering done on them.

Flying with Flight Assist off can help tremendously in some fights, especially with ships that don't maneuver very well. I've only really used It a lot in my Imperial Cutter, as that ship is horrible at turning. It's definitely something that will make you a lot better fighter, if you practice with it.

Last edited:
Well I just hopped in my anaconda and am headed to Sagittarius A. I found a pretty cool scenic route that some one planned out, so I hope to have some pretty cool pictures in the future.

I've only been about 6-7k ly's out before, so this will be interesting. Sag A is 25k out. Hopefully my ADD doesn't kick in, and I'll do some exploring on the way, instead of self destructing and just eating the rebuy. :lol:

Puzzled. Before buying a Buluga on the PS4 version I thought I'd try it out on the steam version first. I'd heard it was difficult to leave the Station due to the rear wings getting caught in the post box.

I went low and slowly and sure enough I got hooked up. I was expecting it though and pulled the nose up and got loose with only a loitering warning. Once outside I switched to the external camera and saw the wings upright. I lowered the landing gear and they flattened. Ah ha I though. Don't raise the gear on ship on the way out and I should be fine.

Six further exits and no problem. I wasn't even getting a proximity warning. (Xbox 360 pad)

Happy with this, I bought the ship on the PS4 version. Two exits later, doing the same as on the PC version and I got hooked up so bad I couldn't get loose both times. I double checked the same gear up wing up, gear down wing down. It's the same. I just don't get it. I can still leave the station on PC no problems. I can't do it on PS4. :banghead:

Last edited:
Puzzled. Before buying a Buluga on the PS4 version I thought I'd try it out on the steam version first. I'd heard it was difficult to leave the Station due to the rear wings getting caught in the post box.

I went low and slowly and sure enough I got hooked up. I was expecting it though and pulled the nose up and got loose with only a loitering warning. Once outside I switched to the external camera and saw the wings upright. I lowered the landing gear and they flattened. Ah ha I though. Don't raise the gear on ship on the way out and I should be fine.

Six further exits and no problem. I wasn't even getting a proximity warning. (Xbox 360 pad)

Happy with this, I bought the ship on the PS4 version. Two exits later, doing the same as on the PC version and I got hooked up so bad I couldn't get loose both times. I double checked the same gear up wing up, gear down wing down. It's the same. I just don't get it. I can still leave the station on PC no problems. I can't do it on PS4. :banghead:
This was an issue for me when I first got the imperial cutter, the cockpit placement on that thing is really weird, I was always getting the back bottom of the ship hung on the mail slot. It's so big that any other big ship coming though at the same time caused a big headache.

I'm about 7kly from Sag A, and I'm ready to be back in the bubble. I could have already have been on my way back, but I've done some site seeing on my way. I'm over that now, I'm just using my advanced discovery scanner, fuel scooping, and jumping again. I did scan quite a few systems, and I'll have my name on a lot of them once I turn in my data. I've been even scanned a few white dwarfes and neutron stars that will have my name by them.

I did hit up the Stellar Forge, and took a few pics. It's really cool looking, but I was a bit underwhelmed. I took a few pics.

IMG_4872.PNG

IMG_4873.PNG

IMG_4874.PNG

Last edited:
I finally gave mining a serious shake, re-outfitted my Python with class 2 mining lasers in the medium slots and reinstalled weapons in my 3 large hardpoints, a multi-cannon, Beam Laser and Cannon, Class 4A refinery, 3A collector Limpets and 3A prospector Limpets. This setup works great, very efficient too. I mined over 500t and unlocked Selene, got several achievements in the process, met her requirements and I already have her leveled up to offer grade 5 mods.

I don't think I'm going to tank the Python, Integrity rating is at 1000 right now with a grade 5 Heavy Armor mod and a Hull Reinforcement Package with a grade 4 mod. Jump range is 27ly, which isn't bad for all that I'm hauling. Still plenty of cargo space, more if I ditch the mining equipment but I don't think I will. I like the Python as a mining vessel, it's a good fit for it.

The Python is my new Cobra can do it all style replacement ship. It's put me in the top 10% in the last two trade cg's (not the recent rare one).

The only thing I don't like is the jump range severely limit it when it's loaded down with more than a T7 can carry.... That can be fixed though.

I am looking at a mining build myself. It seems ideal for the role.

I wish they would update it with a fighter bay.

Well I just got back from Sag A. I got more in exploration Data then I thought, I ended up getting $45 million. They upped the prices with 2.3, but it takes more to gain ranks now. I only gained one full rank with that amount, i went from 50% pathfinder to 50% Ranger. It's going to be a grind to get Elite in exploration.

Here's the new prices, and a link to better look at this chart:

IMG_4866.JPG

I didn't even scan most stars, unless they were neutron stars or white dwarfs. I would get into a system, look for any metal rich bodies or high content metal worlds, water worlds or earth like worlds. I would mainly look to see if there were any close to the arrival star. Scan them real quick and take off. I didn't bother with any of the Giant planets.

Now I kind of want to play around and see if I can get my jump range in the mid 60's, but this will take quite a bit of messing with the engineers. I guess 50ly is ok.

Now I kind of want to play around and see if I can get my jump range in the mid 60's, but this will take quite a bit of messing with the engineers. I guess 50ly is ok.

"Triggered"

15ly is my max at the moment :P But I don't mind it that much yet as I'll do a bit of exploring and gives you the feeling you are going places..

Back