Elon's Antics

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 952 comments

Danoff

Premium
United States
Mile High City
It just feels like Elon Musks's bad behavior is going to keep flowing and deserves its own thread.

In today's episode a twitter employee can't get a straight answer from HR on whether he has been laid off (seems like a reasonable thing to know). The employee tweets Musk to get an answer (seems like a heavy-handed response but if HR can't answer...). Musk bullies the employee who claims to be doing important work saving twitter money, mocks him, publicly outs his disability to the company and insinuates that it's fraudulent. The employee finds out he's been laid off.

Turns out this employee (who suffers from Muscular Dystrophy) started a business that got bought by twitter, was voted Icelandic person of the year, and took salary instead of a lump sum buyout so he could pay extra tax. It seems he may have twitter in some contractual obligation to pay for the acquisition of his company.

Elon has since apologized (yea, that was a huge mistake) and seems to have offered the guy his job back.

Last edited:
After deleting a Tweet in which he referred to Thorleifsson as "the worst" - apparently remembering who he was after not knowing who he was.
Musk's mantra with Twitter is move fast and break things. However, after breaking the things, he grounds it into a fine(r) powder.

This one flew under the radar a few days ago:

Elon's cuts to the company left it with only one engineer in charge of reliability on one of their projects to shut down some kind of API access to third parties. As a result, configuration changes went awry and took down the site. Maybe firing everyone in sight isn't always the smartest management move.

Last edited:
I really do need to learn the rules to 5D chess, or 7D Cluedo, or 9D Risk... whatever game it is Elon plays, 'cus from my point of view he seems like a ******* idiot.

Everything I read seemed to allude that Twitter would owe the Icelandic employee $100 million as part of his agreement to sell his company to Twitter.

So, sounds like that apology is more from his lawyers than sincerity.

I like how musk isnt a politically correct, fake, soulless robot.

He says it like he feels it, which means he's going to make some mistakes and step on some toes sometimes. He apologized

Still better then fakeys who carefully say 'the right thing' all the time

He says it like he feels it, which means he's going to make some mistakes and step on some toes sometimes. He apologized

Why is that something to like, since it constantly creates problems for him?

"I like the way he constantly abuses and insults anyone who's not a rich, straight, white male and anyone he perceives as a threat to his unearned 'smartest person in the room' persona" is a mood, but not a particularly laudable one.

It just smells like vicariousness; "I wish I could afford to be openly racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, and stupid".

"I like the way he constantly abuses and insults anyone who's not a rich, straight, white male and anyone he perceives as a threat to his unearned 'smartest person in the room' persona" is a mood, but not a particularly laudable one.
If Elon has a filter, I truly wonder what he HASN'T said/tweeted. (Or if it is broken.)

Not to pile on here, so I'll go a different route.

You're talking about the CEO of multiple companies that:
  • publicly bullies and mocks employees
  • breached employee personal medical information
  • fires and mocks employees without knowing who they are or how important they are to the company
  • publicly argues with customers
  • rushes changes without considering the consequences

None of that is admirable in a CEO. It's his job to do better for his people.

And just like how we all knew why R1600Turbo adored the rich and successful guy who acted like a raging asshole to anyone who didn't constantly praise him, everyone here has probably been here long enough to know why you feel the same.

Oh oops Famine already said that quiet part out loud.

Last edited:
Not exactly a major life hardship, but free-speech absolutist Phoney Stark will be making voting in Twitter polls for Twitter Blue members only...

FsSUA1XWIAAyNAb

I mean, remember when 17 million people answered a poll saying that Musk should step down as head of Twitter and then he ignored it...

... bound to be completely unrelated - and when he gets answers he doesn't like, of course it's bot swarms.

For the record, it's his platform, the rules are his to make and if he wants to restrict features in order monetise them I understand that, it's just the glaring gerrymandering of opinion that it will generate that I've a problem with... in fact it's not even that, it's the fact people believe that he's doing it to level the playing field, and make Twitter “by far the most accurate source of information around the world”...

Bots are fine if they are paying though.

Might as well just say anyone who is not paying him is a bot, and turn Twitter into a payment only social media site. That's where it is going to end up anyways. That will also kill any chance of Twitter surviving.

Didn't Twitter also announce that blue tick accounts will soon be able to hide their blue ticks out of embarrassment because people have roasted them so much?

Hide your blue tick, appear in the For Elon feed and people will know anyway.

Bots lol.

He’s doing this to feed his fragile ego so the next time he makes a poll regarding the platform, of course the people who pay for his site will vote for his ideas.

Soft as Charmin.

Wait, so will the For You section only have verified users posts? What if you're following a non verified account, do they now only appear in the Following section?

Wait, so will the For You section only have verified users posts? What if you're following a non verified account, do they now only appear in the Following section?
Correct. If they appear at all considering the algorithm will be boosting "verified accounts".

Back