Elon's Antics

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 991 comments
giphy.gif

I think a lot of star actors just play themselves if they're not Dustin Hoffman or Meryl Streep. The difference is probably that Pratt's self isn't very likeable.

On the last episode of Twitter:
Musk, convinced that Twitter was a left-wing megaphone, gives corroborating information to journalist Matt Taibbi.
Taibbi reports all the relevant bits as "The Twitter Files", posted to his Substack (a "citizen journalism" site that allows writers to write and curate their own newsletters, with extremely light moderation); usual crowd goes nuts about the left "shadow-banning" the right.

On this week's episode:
Substack announces "Notes", a cross-platform discovery feature that actually looks quite like social media.
Twitter throttles Substack links, blocks writers from sharing Substack links on Twitter.
Taibbi posts on Substack that he was given the option of continuing with Substack or Twitter; chooses Substack
Twitter "shadow-bans" Taibbi - "max deboosted" according to the code Musk dumped on GitHub - rendering the account's Tweets unsearchable including... his Twitter Files links.
Musk personally Tweets that Taibbi is lying about Substack links being throttled, that he's an employee of Substack, and that Substack tried to "download a massive portion of Twitter's database to bootstrap their Twitter clone" (these are just words randomly slung together).
Twitter Community Notes corrects Musk's Tweet about it, confirming the Substack domain was "marked unsafe" and Tweets containing Substack links could not be liked, quoted, or retweeted.
Substack responds, on Twitter, that Taibbi is not an employee and never was, just one of many writers who uses Substack for their newsletters, and that Substack uses Twitter's API per the TOS.

Still having an absolutely normal one.

He whined like a good 'un on Twitter about it... very few ****s were given.

the BBC interviewed Elon Musk this morning in a Twitter Space

[Elon Musk] admitted he only went through with the takeover because a judge was about to force him to make the purchase.

[...]

Asked whether he had any regrets about buying Twitter, the world's second richest man said the "pain level has been extremely high, this hasn't been some kind of party".

Talking about his time at the helm so far, Mr Musk said: "It's not been boring. It's been quite a rollercoaster."

It has been "really quite a stressful situation over the last several months", he added, but said he still felt that buying the company was the right thing to do.

[...]

The workload means that "I sometimes sleep in the office", he said, adding that he has a spot on a couch in a library "that nobody goes to".

And he also addressed his sometimes controversial tweets saying: "Have I shot myself in the foot with tweets multiple times? Yes."

"I think I should not tweet after 3am," he added.

[...]

Discussing Twitter's finances, Mr Musk said the company is now "roughly breaking even", as most of its advertisers have returned.

He also said that cutting the workforce from just under 8,000 at the time he bought the firm to about 1,500 had not been easy.

He admitted he did not fire everybody in person, saying: "It's not possible to talk with that many people face to face."

The exit of many of Twitter's engineers since Mr Musk bought the company has raised concerns about the stability of the platform.

He acknowledged some glitches, including outages on the site but he said the outages have not been for very long and the site was currently working fine.

On why he bought Twitter: Mr. Musk admitted that he went ahead with the $44 billion acquisition because he believed he would lose his legal case to try and back out of it. Buying Twitter has come with “emotional strain,” he added, saying running it had been “painful.” But he said he still thought buying it was the right thing to do.

On profitability: Since buying Twitter six months ago, Mr. Musk has slashed staff and made big changes to the platform — including an $8 monthly blue-check subscription — to try to reverse losses. (The slimmed-down Twitter has experienced a series of outages and user unrest, but he largely blew off those problems as glitches.) Mr. Musk reiterated that Twitter was on a path to be cash-flow positive this quarter (without giving evidence) and claimed advertisers were returning to the platform.

On blue checks: With advertising revenue shrinking, Mr. Musk is going all in on subscriptions. He says the blue checks that were once given to celebrities, influencers and journalists to verify their accounts will be phased out by next week, after the company missed an earlier deadline.

But he also grumbled that big media companies were reluctant to pay for blue checks. “It’s a small amount of money, so I don’t know what their problem is,” he said.

On who succeeds him as C.E.O.: Mr. Musk said in December that he would abide by the results of a Twitter user poll and step down from running the company. When pressed on that promise, he joked that his dog was in charge. But his jovial mood vanished when he was asked about running the business. He said that the workload meant he sometimes sleeps on a couch at Twitter headquarters. (Another regret: When asked about his sometimes controversial tweets, he said, “I think I should not tweet after 3 a.m.”)

Would he sell? No, he responded, and then said … maybe, if he could find a buyer as committed as he is to free speech.

Musk Says He Only Bought Twitter Because a Judge Was Going to Force Him to Do It (He Signed an Agreement to Buy It Before That)

The Twitter CEO confirmed as much in his chat with the BBC, where he compared the experience of buying the social media platform to a “soap opera” that was “quite entertaining.”

“They were like, ‘hell no, you can’t buy Twitter. We’d rather die. We’d rather chew on cyanide before being bought.’ That was their initial response,” Musk said. “And then they said, ‘No, you must buy us.’ Gun to the head. ‘You have to buy us.’ I’m like, ‘Are you the same people who said you’d rather die than than be bought?’ Doesn’t that seem odd?”

Musk Admits That Shutting Down Twitter’s Sacramento Service Center Was ‘Catastrophic’
Back in December, he declared that Twitter’s Sacramento data center was redundant and told hesitant employees to close it down to save money. The decision led to an outage.

Musk told the BBC that shutting down the data center in late December was one of the hardest things he’s had to do as Twitter boss.

Musk Says He’s Often Tweeted Things He Shouldn’t Have

“I thought the server centers were redundant but there were in fact a lot of things that were hardcoded to this one server center. And so we shut it down, it was quite catastrophic,” the Twitter CEO said. “We lost a lot of functionality and we sort of really rushed to put it back.”

When asked about his tweets about Paul Pelosi, the husband of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi who was violently bludgeoned on the head with a hammer by an intruder last year, Musk admitted that he’s often tweeted things he shouldn’t have.

“I mean, have I shot myself in the foot with tweets multiple times? Yes. I need bulletproof shoes at this point,” Musk said. “I think I should not tweet after 3 a.m.”

Musk said Twitter Tried to Turn One of Its Buildings Into a Homeless Shelter

Musk told the BBC that he had tried to turn one of Twitter’s buildings in San Francisco into a homeless shelter but that the building’s owner rejected the idea.

“We’re only using one of the buildings, and so the other building could be a homeless shelter,” adding that Twitter would convert the building into a shelter “right now.”

According to Musk, this is the same building owner that would’t let him take the “W” off of the Twitter sign, which he wanted to read “Titter.” It’s also the same building owner who is currently suing Twitter over $6.7 million in unpaid rent.

Musk admitted that he had no official plan for the shelter, stating, “We could just let people stay there. It’s nice. They could bring their stuff, bring their tent, or whatever.”

Elon Said He ‘Delighted’ in Taking Away the New York Times Verified Badge

“I must confess to some delight in removing the verified batch [sic] from The New York Times. That was great,” Musk said. “Anyway, they’re still alive and well, so they’re doing fine.”

Last edited:
Oddly, looking at the relevant hashtags on Twitter almost exclusively gives results of people saying how much Musk owned the BBC in that interview.

Yes imagine owning an entire organisation for it's policy based on one journo-for-hire.

We can hold Musk to the same account by asking what his employees on the Plantation say.

Last edited:
Asked whether he had any regrets about buying Twitter, the world's second richest man said the "pain level has been extremely high, this hasn't been some kind of party".
Remember when you put out a poll about stepping down & abiding by the results? That'd probably help with the "pain".

The workload means that "I sometimes sleep in the office", he said, adding that he has a spot on a couch in a library "that nobody goes to".
I don't believe this for a second.

"I think I should not tweet after 3am," he added.
After 3am? How about never, ya boob.
fYCAbvf.jpg

Discussing Twitter's finances, Mr Musk said the company is now "roughly breaking even", as most of its advertisers have returned.
Lol, also don't believe this as multiple companies discuss leaving the platform.

Last edited:
Here's the full Twitter Space of the interview. They start talking at 11:46. Questions begin at 14:56.

Remember when you put out a poll about stepping down & abiding by the results? That'd probably help with the "pain".
According to the interview, his dog is the CEO now

He really classified NPR as "state media?"

There's a pretty big difference between public radio and state media. There are also only two state medias in the US as far as I'm aware with one being Voice of America and the Emergency Broadcasting System.

There's a pretty big difference between public radio and state media. There are also only two state medias in the US as far as I'm aware with one being Voice of America and the Emergency Broadcasting System.
Fox came close while Trump was in office. Basically asked him (every chance they got) what he wanted them to say.

Last edited:
Oddly, looking at the relevant hashtags on Twitter almost exclusively gives results of people saying how much Musk owned the BBC in that interview.
I noticed this too, their entire argument seems to stem from the fact the BBC journalist couldn't recall, when asked, the name of an account that was Tweeting hate speech. Is that something people would seriously expect a journalist to remember and be able to recall on the spot? Maybe the interviewer just didn't want to get into an argument about that and so instead pushed the interview on so as to keep it interesting to viewers? The way the Musketeers are talking about this as if he "owned the interviewer" really goes to show how deluded a lot of them are.

Last edited:
I find it fascinating that no matter how many times you tell your dashboard to "Show less Tweets from Elon Musk" the tweets where he tries as much as possible to use his social media platform to personally spread right wing misinformation (like some more successful version of some other person) still get through.

I find it fascinating that no matter how many times you tell your dashboard to "Show less Tweets from Elon Musk" the tweets where he tries as much as possible to use his social media platform to personally spread right wing misinformation (like some more successful version of some other person) still get through.
That’s just a feature, not a bug.

I don't see any tweets from him.

Unless they're posted in this thread.

:P

TB
I don't see any tweets from him.

Unless they're posted in this thread.

:P
I do occasionally see them quote tweeted or screenshotted. I suppose I could remedy the former by blocking the pasty bitch (assuming you can actually do that).

As someone in the tech space, I follow a lot of tech people, including Elon just for any shenanigans he pulls, but for the past month or so I haven't seen a single one of his tweets in my For You feed. Not even quote tweeted. It's as if the algorithm knows of my disdain for him lmao

Last edited:
I blocked him so don't see his tweets unless I do an R1600 and temp unblock him.

I blocked him so don't see his tweets unless I do an R1600 and temp unblock him.
You won't see R1600's posts even if you do unblock him, he left because we were mean to Elon.

You won't see R1600's posts even if you do unblock him, he left because we were mean to Elon.
I think you misunderstand.

I don't really care about R1600's posts. But removing his own block to peek at our posts was something he was known for. I'm just saying that I find my pulling the same manoeuvre to look at his crush Elon's tweets to be kinda ironic behaviour on my part.

Last edited:
Gosh.

That little dude in the left/right meme has stopped sprinting to the left of this bitch and hopped on a motorcycle to cover some serious distance. That's the only way to explain it.

musk-tweet.jpg

Back