• Thread starter Danoff
  • 1,180 comments
lol

link-titles.jpg

yOu AcTuAlLy BeLiEvE tHe MeDiA ... wOw

lol

link-titles.jpg

yOu AcTuAlLy BeLiEvE tHe MeDiA ... wOw
If I were Aaron, I'd edit the post to insult Musk but have it nothing to do with the article itself. Would ironically prove Musk both right and wrong.

Some posters already have done this:

Sadly the joke doesn't work here because embedded X posts on GTPlanet still show the headline like a sane social media platform. On TwiXter it looks like this:

Screenshot_20231006_001346_Chrome.jpg

Meanwhile others are just posting screenshots that look like links:

Last edited:
This is clearly a purposefully hostile change in order to keep users in the app longer. Obviously, they didn't do any AB testing to determine whether or not that would actually result in the change they want.

The other day, I was scrolling through a user's profile and I literally had 3 ads in a row between every single tweet on their profile.

At this point, everyone should probably just move over to BlueSky if you need to have a social media platform that's similar to Twitter

This is clearly designed for misdirection; anyone can find the negative article and tweet about it in a positive manner to trap, trick or troll your audience.

At this point, everyone should probably just move over to BlueSky if you need to have a social media platform that's similar to Twitter
I'd love to switch but when I tried to join Bluesky asked whether I wanted to join a waitlist. Don't know how long that'd take.

I have 2 bluesky codes if anyone is interested. PM me.

EDIT: One left.

Last edited:
I'd love to switch but when I tried to join Bluesky asked whether I wanted to join a waitlist. Don't know how long that'd take.
Bluesky is confusing for me. I sort of feel like I am a drunken sailor walking around trying to assess everything I can do on there at this moment.

So looking away from Xwitter for a moment and over to SpaceX, you might be wondering... what's Elon's design philosophy for Starship? You know, that gigantic rocket that fried half the launchpad the one time they actually got it off the ground?

He didn't give away much to viewers interested to know more about the here and now – getting stages to separate without exploding sounds a challenge – he did make one reference to the past: "We try and draw as many lessons as possible from the Soviet N1 rocket which is probably the closest in design to Starship."

The Reg can but hope Musk's team has learned some lessons from the design of the Soviet N1 and that the similarities end at the point of both having lots of engines. The Soviet Moon rocket suffered four launch failures before the program was canceled nearly 50 years ago, including one so catastrophic that it leveled the launch complex.

launch_1.jpg

...oh. I guess that explains a thing or two.

Quick summary. These new "ads":

• Contain Taboola-style chumbox content
  • Cannot be blocked
  • Cannot be reported
  • Cannot actually be interacted with in any way
  • Are not actually Tweets at all and not associated with any account; they're served up by third-party advertisers in exactly the same way as Taboola/Outbrain and other cancers
  • Do not disclose the source (there's no Twitter account associated with them)
  • Also do not disclose that they are ads
  • Are almost certainly illegal in most places that have advertising regulations

Mashable hypothesises that users are being served these ads because of a chronic lack of actual advertisers leading Twitter desperate for revenue, and with no actual targeted ads targeting the demographic into which these users fit they get the chumbox.

I bet this'll make a terrifically entertaining bestselling book sometime in the future on how not to run a business. Hopefully it'll help ruin Musk's reputation as a genius corporate strategist, at least as far as social media platforms are concerned, amongst everybody except his pathetically desparate hangers-on and sycophants. The king definitely appears to be in the altogether.

NSFW warning: there's some bad language in at least one of the twee-I-mean-X posts embedded in the Mashable article.

Last edited:
Didn't even need the quoted tweet; anything Elon suggests following on Twitter should be met with question right away.
Elon is trying to both sides this? He might be pissing off his Saudi bosses if he's showing support for Iran.

Nothing says I'm an out of touch ******** manchild, would definitely be an incel if I wasn't billionaire like the profound tone deafness of that Xeet.

It's interesting because your tone only matters if you're going to see consequences out of it. Consequences that matter to you, anyway. Socially, people mostly watch what they say because they don't want to alienate the people around them.

But if you're Elon, you don't see consequences. Even if some people get mad at you, there's still going to be armies of people hungry to gobble your nuts. There is almost nothing you can say that is "wrong". And on the odd chance that you do say something that the whole world agrees is ****ed, it's such an outlier that it's gotta be really easy to just write it off.

Reason number 467 that billionaires shouldn't exist.

But if you're Elon, you don't see consequences. Even if some people get mad at you, there's still going to be armies of people hungry to gobble your nuts. There is almost nothing you can say that is "wrong". And on the odd chance that you do say something that the whole world agrees is ****ed, it's such an outlier that it's gotta be really easy to just write it off.

Reminds me of Trump.

Back