Embrace the Golden Age of Rallying With This Peugeot 205 T16 Group B Homologation

You can tell build quality came second, or third, or fifteenth on the list of important matters. You could lose a toddler through some of the panel gaps :lol:

This one looks a bit different to the other road models i've seen in the wild. It sits a touch too high and like you say, the panels aren't sitting right. Perhaps it's been poorly repaired following an accident?

I saw one parked up in Paris once and to the untrained eye you'd think it was just a 205 GTi. You'd never mistake a Metro 6R4 for a regular Metro or a Delta S4 for even a Delta Integrale Evo.

1984-peugeot-205-t16.jpg

You can tell build quality came second, or third, or fifteenth on the list of important matters. You could lose a toddler through some of the panel gaps :lol:

What are you talking about? Safety wasn't a concern when people drove cars like this. The idea was to drive as fast as you dared without getting caught by the law or writing off your mum and dads car. Toddlers weren't even an issue ...boy racer special - to be found at traffic lights next to a Ferrari or Renault GT Turbo Giordini :cheers:

If I ever win the lottery/make it big, this is one of the first cars I'd grab. Always loved what the T16 is all about.

What are you talking about? Safety wasn't a concern when people drove cars like this. The idea was to drive as fast as you dared without getting caught by the law or writing off your mum and dads car. Toddlers weren't even an issue ...boy racer special - to be found at traffic lights next to a Ferrari or Renault GT Turbo Giordini :cheers:

They were S-class price when new. I doubt many boy-racers could afford them.

They were S-class price when new. I doubt many boy-racers could afford them.

Do you know what it was when it was new? I looked all over Tuesday night and couldn't find any price other than an estimated $60,000...which seemed high.

S class price? They were all sold at a loss just to make up the 200 units necessary. It's a homologo' special I never actually seen one exactly like the picture on the road in the UK. Seen plenty of MG GRB V6 Turbos and countless Renault 5 GT Turbo's with full rally kits roll cages and suspension etc. There was a lot of money about in the 80's and 90's if you could get someone to underwrite the insurance you were all good... Most people couldn't drive a 205 GTI (standard) until they were 25 unless their parents cosigned insurance (a girl I went to school with drove her mums). There is a lot of waff talked about cars lol ...I was alive and kicking at this interesting period...:lol: If one was to go up for sale now its possible it could go for £250.000 All the necessary prerequisites are to be found here ...https://rallygroupbshrine.org/the-g...t-205-t16-e1e2-homologation-version/#205t16hv

Last edited:
S class price? They were all sold at a loss just to make up the 200 units necessary. It's a homologo' special I never actually seen one exactly like the picture on the road in the UK. Seen plenty of MG GRB V6 Turbos and countless Renault 5 GT Turbo's with full rally kits roll cages and suspension etc. There was a lot of money about in the 80's and 90's if you could get someone to underwrite the insurance you were all good... Most people couldn't drive a 205 GTI (standard) until they were 25 unless their parents cosigned insurance (a girl I went to school with drove her mums). There is a lot of waff talked about cars lol ...I was alive and kicking at this interesting period...:lol: If one was to go up for sale now its possible it could go for £250.000 All the necessary prerequisites are to be found here ...https://rallygroupbshrine.org/the-g...t-205-t16-e1e2-homologation-version/#205t16hv

They only made 200 of them and not many were exported to the UK. The 6R4 was sold at a loss, £15k if i recall rightly, but that was mainly because they were pretty late to the party, had an non-turbo engine that wasn't as tunable as the others and no one saw a future for them after the demise of Grp.B.

Do you know what it was when it was new? I looked all over Tuesday night and couldn't find any price other than an estimated $60,000...which seemed high.

No, that sounds about right to me. Perhaps a bit less. They were cutting edge rally technology in their day. Parts were only made in small batches hence the high costs.

This Pug was sold for 4 times the standard model and that was still at a loss (even with the awful turbo lag) it's still one of the most desired "Homo' " group B cars one sold for about £200000 a while back anyone's guess what money one would fetch at auction as I'm sure there are no longer 200 cars...they only come in grey and red except the (white rally )Evo kit which the first car was PR'd in. I suppose the retail price varied according to market geography and year too

I have to wonder...are these accepted, common-use abbreviations--I'm particularly curious about that first one; so much that I looked it up and found no English usage, and extra-English usage was not applicable to the context--or is it just that difficult to write out "homologation?"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was on phone sadistic text made my usually flawless english grammar look decidedly 'pidgin'

that and the interface for the forum crashing in the middle of a post ...surprised I haven't got a warning from admin ...have you heard of slang or dialects? Oh no you haven't because you are from US/Texas....oh sorry did I make a sweeping generalisation just like you ha ha :lol:

Last edited:
have you heard of slang or dialects?
I have, and that's why I asked if those were accepted terminology. They struck me as contrived--and even a bit derogatory (more the case for the latter "homo," for obvious reasons)--and the intent has an impact on how the comment is interpreted.

Anyway...as @TheCracker said, condition appears to be an issue for this example, and unless sales of others were a long enough time ago for inflation to be a factor, I really don't see this one fetching the same sort of figure. Then again, I wouldn't have expected a "mint" decade-old Evo (I suspect everyone here know which one I'm talking about) to trade for six figures, either.

With only 200 made, and with the T16 probably being the most winning and therefore famous Group B, their values are only ever going to increase.

If the price in @Dennisch posted article is right, with taxes etc, the 1984 price is £24,000 in the UK which was $35,000 US - or four times the cost of a Camaro Z28 in 1984. So probably not quite S-Class. But according to this page, it's about the same as a Merc 450SL was at the time.

Last edited:
You can't compare the Pug to a Camaro or a Merc' (at the time or even some of them today alot of todays cars aren't as fast as yesteryears cars.) Case in point The Mclaren F1. Took a long time for Bugatti to come with the Veyron to beat their old turbo lagging supercar which previously held the production/sports car. record Can't remember name it was blue and wedge shaped looked like GTO on steroids! 220mph. It was featured on the Grand Tour a few weeks ago I posted cost as 4 times the price of a standard 205 ...honestly lol :dunce: The Audi S1 has a far better record in terms of wins etc drivers prestige and well it was called "the fire spitting dragon" ...need I say more...?

The OP should change all of the pictures... because the ones he used are of no ordinary 205 T16, hence why it looks "off" to most of you guys.
The images in the article are those provided by Motostalgia, who is responsible for the auction.

I know... but the OP talks about this car as if it was a normal homologation Peugeot 205 Turbo 16. It isn't and that's my point!
Then acknowledge that point by advising the information in the article be changed or supplemented to reflect that of the car pictured and being auctioned, rather than saying the pictures should be changed.

;)

Then acknowledge that point by advising the information in the article be changed or supplemented to reflect that of the car pictured and being auctioned, rather than saying the pictures should be changed.

;)

The whole thread's conversation revolves about people thinking the car was a normal Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 when the car pictured in the auction isn't one... Well it is one but one that was subsequently much modified by Lotus, hence why it looks "weird" and with "bad panel gaps", per the comments in this thread, Besides changing the pictures, how would you fix this thread other than deleting it and starting over?

Even Motostalgia's listing clearly identified it... I'm not sure why everyone somehow were taken agape thinking this was a normal car... I thus invite everyone to retake their comment(s) with the new information then!

Back